Swedish State Visits: General Discussion and Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I understand this correct, The King and Crown princess talked to PM about upcoming state visits/official visits for 2022, Any ideas which country's are possible?

State visit from Spain( It is still not official)

State visit from Netherlands

State Visit from Belgium
State Visit to Luxembourg
Sweden to Canada

Sweden to China

https://www.kungahuset.se/kungafami...idastatsbesok.5.5844a5bd17c0724e0a710389.html
I guess LadyFinn and Kingen knowing more about important partners and possible state visits.

If I understand this correct, The King and Crown princess talked to PM about upcoming state visits/official visits for 2022, Any ideas which country's are possible?

State Visit from Belgium
Sweden to Canada

Sweden to China

https://www.kungahuset.se/kungafami...idastatsbesok.5.5844a5bd17c0724e0a710389.html
I guess LadyFinn and Kingen knowing more about important partners and possible state visits.
Just a small correction- they met with the Foreign secretary not the Prime minister. Also since the wording is that they discussed suggestions for State and Official visits it seems nothing's set yet.

State Visit from Belgium
Sweden to Canada

Sweden to China

The King, Queen and Victoria met Ann Linde. She is the Minister for Foreign Affairs, not the Prime Minister.
At court website:
Suggestions for future state visits can be made both by Sweden and by other countries. Every year, a special preparation takes place under the leadership of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs to list possible state visits for the next three years. The Minister for the Foreign Affairs presents the proposal to the King.
Statsbesök - Sveriges Kungahus

Last year this meeting was held on 29th September.

State Visit from Belgium
Sweden to Canada

Sweden to China

Well, we still hope for the Spanish state visit for 2021.

But otherwise, I think it's hard to predict what might come. The Swedish Government might want to strengthen some relations they find important before the election to the Riksdag in September, and that another Government might not find that important.

Incoming visits:
The Netherlands - togehter with UK, Denmark and Germany, The Netherlands has been the one of thr most important partners within EU for many years. There should be an interest in deepen this relationship after Brexit.
Belgium - a close EU-partner and decades since the last incoming state visit.
Japan - the visits between the two countries have been many for the last decades, which indicates the importance of Japan as partner to Sweden. If there is a incoming state visit from Japan, will probably depend on how priorotized it is from Japan's side.

Outward visits:
Estonia - a close Baltic partner and neighbour. Outward state visits have been taken place in both Latvia and Lithuania the last couple of years.
Iceland - it might be some more years until this visit, as the incoming state visit only took place in 2018.
Chile - a close partner to Sweden, and there might an interest in follow up the initiatives from the incoming state visit in 2016.

A State Visit might be coming up in May. When cross-checking the calendar of the Royal Family and when the Royal Palace of Stockholm will be closed and partly closed, there is a match for May 17-18th.

The question is, who's visiting?

Sent from my SM-A725F using The Royals Community mobile app

A State Visit might be coming up in May. When cross-checking the calendar of the Royal Family and when the Royal Palace of Stockholm will be closed and partly closed, there is a match for May 17-18th.

The question is, who's visiting?

Sent from my SM-A725F using The Royals Community mobile app

At the website of Beridna Högvakten (Mounted Guards) it says at the Program site in "Övriga evenemang"
17th May
State visit with cortege
https://www.beridnahogvakten.se/program/

A new Government is in place, but we don't know what that means for the Foreign Policy yet. The Foreign Declaration, the first of the new Right-wing Government, will take place mid-February next year, and that might give us some insights of the priorities.

Additionally, January 1st Sweden assumes the role as President of the European Council for the coming six months. That could mean that state visits would not be on top of the list, when the Government is occupied with a full EU Agenda. The King also celebrates his Golden Jubilee in September, starting the festivities on January 20th with a Sweden Dinner and visits to all 21 counties, from February until September. That could mean that both the King and Queen, as well as the Royal Court, could have their hands full in planning and undertaking Jubilee events.

But, we have some new monarchs that haven't payed state visits to Sweden yet:
- King Philippe of the Belgians
- Emperor Naruhito of Japan
- King Charles III of United Kingdom

I would say some of these is a good chance for an incoming state visit.

A state visit to Iceland could be expected "soon", as the President visited Sweden in January 2018. Maybe this is one of the countries choosen for 2023?

A new Finnish President will take office in February/March 2024. The traditional first state visit of the Finnish President could be expected in the Spring.

My guess is that from the new monarchs King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will be the next to make a State Visit to Sweden.

My guess is that from the new monarchs King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will be the next to make a State Visit to Sweden.

Hope it on mid-November

I wish the Belgian SV to Sweden should be held in mid or end of November

Last edited by a moderator:
Any incoming state visit guessing to Sweden for 2023?

I guess the postponed French state visit means there won't be any Swedish state visits until 2024. So what might come next year?

- France - Hopefully the postponed state visit can take place during the first half of the year.

- Finland - A new President will take office in the Spring. According to tradition the first state visit is to Sweden, probably April or May.

- Iceland - The last incoming state visit was in 2018, so it should be time to return the favour. Last time was six years between the visits (incoming in 1998 and state visit to Iceland in 2004).

- Belgium - Probably the next monarch in line to visit Sweden, hopefully it will be seen as important.

I guess the postponed French state visit means there won't be any Swedish state visits until 2024. So what might come next year?

- France - Hopefully the postponed state visit can take place during the first half of the year.

- Finland - A new President will take office in the Spring. According to tradition the first state visit is to Sweden, probably April or May.

- Iceland - The last incoming state visit was in 2018, so it should be time to return the favour. Last time was six years between the visits (incoming in 1998 and state visit to Iceland in 2004).

- Belgium - Probably the next monarch in line to visit Sweden, hopefully it will be seen as important.

The Finnish presidential election is to be scheduled in January. The first round is January 28

The Finnish presidential election is to be scheduled in January. The first round is January 28

The elections are two-staged. If one of the candidates receives more than half of the votes cast, that candidate is elected president. (That doesn't seem likely, it would be a huge surprise). If no candidate wins a majority in the first stage, the top two candidates rerun in the second stage two weeks later. The candidate who then receives more votes is elected. The president assumes office on the first day of the month following the election (either 1 February or 1 March depending on whether there were one or two rounds).

President Sauli Niinistö assumed office in his first term as the President on 1st March 2012 and made a state visit to Sweden on 17-18 April 2012.

I hope that a state visit from Belgium to Sweden can be held next year.

Incoming state visit alert?

The Royal Palace will be closed 30 January. Several of the Apartments of the Royal Palace will be closed both prior and after this date, including the Guest Apartments.

As it is the entire Royal Palace, including the Guest Apartments, closed it is something more than an Official dinner. Perhaps President Macron is coming now?

Last edited:
My predictions of State Visits involving Swedish royals:

France to Sweden
Finland to Sweden
Sweden to Iceland
Sweden to Luxembourg
Belgium to Sweden

Incoming state visit alert?

The Royal Palace will be closed 30 January. Several of the Apartments of the Royal Palace will be closed both prior and after this date, including the Guest Apartments.

As it is the entire Royal Palace, including the Guest Apartments, closed it is something more than an Official dinner. Perhaps President Macron is coming now?

Could that be a State Visit from the new King and Queen of Denmark?

Could that be a State Visit from the new King and Queen of Denmark?

Its probably a little early for that. I suspect there will be a state visit to Sweden soon, possibly even be the first outgoing state visit, but not in January 2024.

The Royal Watcher Blog claims the French State Visit to Sweden will be held this January

I guess a state visit from the new Danish King and Queen is to be expected soon, but I also think the forst state visit goes to Norway, perhaps after the summer. But who knows?

The State Visits continue it looks like and seems like we could expect a state visit starting 23 April. Very low odds on that it is the Finnish President Elect, Alexander Stubb making his first state visit.

Source: The closing schedule of the Royal Palace.

Back
Top Bottom