Swedish State Visits: General Discussion and Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a state visit, but...

Finland celebrates in 2017 100 years of independence. President Sauli Niinistö told about the celebrations to the press on Tuesday.
Among other things, the centenary year will also feature in the President’s trips abroad and visits from overseas to Finland. For example, on 1 June, visits to Finland will be made by all of the Nordic heads of state i.e. the monarchs of Sweden, Norway and Denmark, and the President of Iceland.
President Niinistö to visit all Finnish regions during the centenary year - The President of the Republic of Finland

Thanks LadyFinn. I have actually thought of Finland's celebrations of 100 years of independence, and if that would mena anything for the visits. Once again, thanks. It will probably be a nice and festive occasion.

Do we have any rumors of upcoming or planned state visits in 2017?

Not a state visit, but:
Crown prince Frederik and crown princess Mary will be heading a Danish business delegation to Stockholm in the end of May. The overall theme for the delegation visit is “Liveable Scandinavia.” There will be for instance an official dinner, so it would be nice to see Victoria and Daniel invited to the events too.
http://healthcaredenmark.dk/media/1448059/Save-the-Date-Sverige-maj-2017.pdf
Liveable Scandinavia - DI
Healthcare DENMARK - Danish Royal Visit to Sweden 2017

Not a state visit, but:
Crown prince Frederik and crown princess Mary will be heading a Danish business delegation to Stockholm in the end of May. The overall theme for the delegation visit is “Liveable Scandinavia.” There will be for instance an official dinner, so it would be nice to see Victoria and Daniel invited to the events too.
http://healthcaredenmark.dk/media/1448059/Save-the-Date-Sverige-maj-2017.pdf
Liveable Scandinavia - DI
Healthcare DENMARK - Danish Royal Visit to Sweden 2017

Thanks LadyFinn for the information about this visit, I haven't heard of it before. I agree, hopefully we'll see some interactions with the Swedish Royals during this visit, but I'm afraid this means we won't see a Danish state visit to Sweden shortly.

What could we expect for the fall. I think it is really hard to predict Swedish state visit right now, not much rumors about potential countries.

In the year 2018, Sweden and Japan will celebrate 150 years of diplomatic relations. This anniversary year will be celebrated through a range of activities both in Sweden and Japan.
Sweden - Japan 150 years _ SwedenAbroad

Will we royals in these events?

:previous: I would think quite likely. Not an official state visit, but something. A smaller visit like Victoria in Italy. Maybe even someone like CP and if Japan sent someone, Takomodo. But will have to see.

In the year 2018, Sweden and Japan will celebrate 150 years of diplomatic relations. This anniversary year will be celebrated through a range of activities both in Sweden and Japan.
Sweden - Japan 150 years _ SwedenAbroad

Will we royals in these events?

I have also thought about this one before, and it is nice too see that the event will be marked. I don't think it's unlikely that The Royal Couple pays an official visit to Japan.

In the announcement of the state visit from Kazakhstan it was referred to the country as one of 26 prioritized countries for business and trade promotion. I checked these countries, from the Government's Export Strategy which could be found here: http://www.regeringen.se/4b003b/con...99907cbe604a87ce2/swedens-export-strategy.pdf

Algeria, Angola, Brazil, China, Colombia, Egypt, Germany, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Mexico, Nigeria, the Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom

I guess we will see all, or almost every incoming and outward state visit during this government to be to these countries, some of them are already "ticked off".

Svensk Damtidning writes, that king Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia don't make a state visit abroad this fall. During the last three years there has been two state visits a year, but this year the state visit to Indonesia will be the only one.
Inget statsbesök för kungen och Silvia _ Svensk Damtidning

Maybe not a total surprise, the 2+2 state visit thing is nothing fixed, and seen over time it has varied a lot. It does not disqualify another incoming state visit this year, however I doubt it.

It is still some months left of this year, but I'm already thinking of next year's state visits. I think it is quite hard to predict what will come next year, and there are no real hints about potential countries.

Iceland - I would say that an incoming state visit from Iceland is expected. I would like to see it in the early months of 2018, but it could also be after the General elections in Sweden in September.

The Netherlands - I just hope for an incoming state visit next spring.
Kazakhstan - The state visit was postponed, but honestly I doubt it will take place next year. Or it will, I don't know?

Japan - Sweden and Japan celebrate 150 years of diplomatic relations next year, and it will be marked. I think it is likely that mutual official visits will take place (compare Denmark), but don't know on what level and it might depend on the upcoming abdication.

In the announcement of the state visit from Kazakhstan it was referred to the country as one of 26 prioritized countries for business and trade promotion. I checked these countries, from the Government's Export Strategy which could be found here: http://www.regeringen.se/4b003b/con...99907cbe604a87ce2/swedens-export-strategy.pdf

Algeria, Angola, Brazil, China, Colombia, Egypt, Germany, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Mexico, Nigeria, the Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom

I guess we will see all, or almost every incoming and outward state visit during this government to be to these countries, some of them are already "ticked off".

I also think we can expect most of the future state visits to be to and from this list, although i suspect some will be official visits instead of full state visits.

I won't rule out a state visit to London. Especially not now in the wake of Brexit when the relations between our countries becomes even more important. Charles and Camilla has been on an official visit to Sweden. Victoria and Daniel has been on an official visit to UK. And William and Kate is scheduled to visit Sweden next year.... There may come a full state visit sooner than we think.

I also expect an incoming state visit from Iceland soon. I suspect it will happen before the State visit from Kazakstan.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when was the last time Spain visited Sweden on a state visit? Thank you.

Thank you, I did not know there was a list for all the state visits. Surprised the last time a monarchy visited Sweden on a state visit was in 2008.

I would really like to see a state visit from France soon. The last one was in 2000, though a state visit to France just a couple of years ago. But it seems like President Macron and Prime Minister Löfven are getting along very well.

Will there be a state visit from Spain to Sweden in the next few years?

Will there be a state visit from Spain to Sweden in the next few years?

My gues is thatr before Spain the new Kings of the Netherlands and the Belgians will be invited to State Visit's to Sweden.

My gues is thatr before Spain the new Kings of the Netherlands and the Belgians will be invited to State Visit's to Sweden.
That's probably how it is gonna be, but of the three countries is Spain that is one with longest time since last state visit.

It wasn't even a question from the journalist. She said that the spring will be filled with engagements, State visit, and family celebrations, among them Prince Carl Philip's 40:th Birthday on 13:th May

I wounder the King and Queen will pay a state visit to Jordan. They received Their Majesties King Abdullah II bin al Hussein and Queen Rania al Abdulla in 2003 but there was never a return visit. The belgian outgoing state visits already annouced, i dont expect a visit this year (the same for spain) the Dutch royals seems to be most active, visiting other royal houses, fingers crossed for a dutch state visit this year. EDIT they also made no state visit to current GD of Luxembourg, but received Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duccess Maria Teresa in 2008

Last edited:
Is there any information on possible state visits from the Netherlands, Spain and Belgium to Sweden?

I wounder the King and Queen will pay a state visit to Jordan. They received Their Majesties King Abdullah II bin al Hussein and Queen Rania al Abdulla in 2003 but there was never a return visit. The belgian outgoing state visits already annouced, i dont expect a visit this year (the same for spain) the Dutch royals seems to be most active, visiting other royal houses, fingers crossed for a dutch state visit this year. EDIT they also made no state visit to current GD of Luxembourg, but received Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duccess Maria Teresa in 2008

I thought the same thing, but I doubt we'll see a state visit to Jordan this year. The Crown Princess Couple visited Jordan last year, so a possible state visit will probably wait a couple of years. A state visit to Luxembourg might be closer at hand.

Incoming state visits from the three new Kings would be great, but not much that indicates that it's gonna happen.

Vellamvelly Muraleedharan, The Minister of State for External Affairs of India at his Twitter today (he attends at the EU Arctic Forum).
"Had good discussions with HE @AnnLinde Foreign Minister of Sweden on India-Sweden bilateral trade, innovation partnership and the upcoming visit of His Majesty the King and Her Majesty the Queen of Sweden to India."

He wrote also
"Was an honour and pleasure to interact with HRH Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden on the sidelines of first EU Arctic Forum. Look forward to welcoming His Majesty the King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden in India in December."

Svensk Damtidning writes:
The Spanish media is now writing that King Felipe and Queen Letizia's long-awaited state visit to Sweden is planned for 24-25 November.
Margareta Thorgren does not want to confirm the information at present, but asks to be allowed to return to this.
Spanska kungaparet Felipe och Letizia kommer till Sverige – besöker kungaparet _*Svensk Dam

Last edited by a moderator:
No real rumors or indications of Swedish State Visits in 2020, and I have really tried to find some.

I would love to see some incoming State Visits from:
- The Netherlands (last incoming State Visit 1987/outward 2009, and Official Visit 2014)
- Germany (last incoming State Visit 2003/outward 2016)
- France (last incoming State Visit 2000/outward 2014)

For outward State Visits, it's even more uncertain. However, countries in Asia have been frequently visited the last couple of years. I would like to see:

- Estonia (due to the relations in the Baltic Region)
- South Africa (a prioritized country in the export strategy)
- Mexico (a prioritized country in the export strategy

Back
Top Bottom