Swedish State Visits: General Discussion and Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingen

Serene Highness
City
Kristianstad
Country
Sweden
I think that we could have a discussion about Swedish State Visits, and what visits do we want to see in the future?

I know we don't have anything to do with the decisions of a State Visit, but the could wish! Which countries do you want to see incoming and outgoing State Visits to?

I would love to see a State Visit from Denmark next year. This should be the return visit from The King, Queen and Crown Princess visit to Denmark in 2007. For this visit should the Danish Crown Prince Couple participate too.

Next year are Sweden and the Netherlands celebrating 400 years of diplomatic relations , this together with the new King and Queen would be two good reasons for either an incoming or outgoing State Visit. But it is more likely to be an Official Visit if we see any at all.

For outgoing State Visits it would be great to see Finland or Germany. A return visit to Finland usually takes place two to three years after the visit to Sweden (in 2012 last time). And the latest visit to or from Germany was the visit from President Rau to Sweden in 2003. The best thing is that the Crown Princess Couple could join the King and Queen on both of these visits.

I would like to see victoria and Daniel take part in state visits abroad

I'd like to see King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia pay a state visit to Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip :) The last swedish state visit to UK was in 1975.

Last edited:
I'd like to see King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia pay a state visit to Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip :) The last swedish state visit to UK was in 1975.

Yes would be really nice to see and other monarchs have made a second visit to Queen Elizabeth. :)

The king and queen will probably come to Finland in 2015 if you look the history of state visits between Finland and Sweden. On the other hand, they have almost always been in Finland in August, so maybe they want to come in the winter...

Yes we can certainly look forward to a state visit to Finland very soon. I was thinking if they are waiting until the President's Palace is in use again after the renovations.

Yes we can certainly look forward to a state visit to Finland very soon. I was thinking if they are waiting until the President's Palace is in use again after the renovations.

According to the President's website, the renovation of the Presidential Palace will be ready for the Independence day of Finland, 6th December 2014.

I think that we will get to know the outcoming state visit in December as quick as the new government has taken office. So I guess we know in the middle of October.

I think that we will get to know the outcoming state visit in December as quick as the new government has taken office. So I guess we know in the middle of October.

I don't follow Swedish politics very closely, but, from what I read on the web, the Centre Party and the Liberal People's Party have ruled out a coalition with the Social Democrats. The Social Democrats in turn have ruled out a coalition with the Left (formerly Communist) Party. The only remaining option then is a minority government consisting of the Social Democrats and the Greens, who would have however only 138 out of 349 seats in the Riksdag (i.e less than 40 % of the total number of seats).

If that is the case, how likely is it that there will be a majority of votes in the Riksdag to confirm the nomination of the new PM as required by the Swedish constitution ? As I understand it, if the new government is rejected by a majority of members of the Riksdag in 4 successive votes, new elections have to be called. Moreover, even if a new government is confirmed and sworn in, how likely is it that it will survive 4 years ? With such a small plurality in parliament, I would expect a vote of no confidence in the government to be carried soon.

Last edited:
I don't follow Swedish politics very closely, but, from what I read on the web, the Centre Party and the Liberal People's Party have ruled out a coalition with the Social Democrats. The Social Democrats in turn have ruled out a coalition with the Left (formerly Communist) Party. The only remaining option then is a minority government consisting of the Social Democrats and the Greens, who would have however only 138 out of 349 seats in the Riksdag (i.e less than 40 % of the total number of seats).

If that is the case, how likely is it that there will be a majority of votes in the Riksdag to confirm the nomination of the new PM as required by the Swedish constitution ? As I understand it, if the new government is rejected by a majority of members of the Riksdag in 4 successive votes, new elections have to be called. Moreover, even if a new government is confirmed and sworn in, how likely is it that it will survive 4 years ? With such a small plurality in parliament, I would expect a vote of no confidence in the government to be carried soon.

It seems to me that you follow it closely. As you say there is complicated parliamentary situation in Sweden, and it seems hard to get a majority in Riksdagen for the government.

On the other hand there so should be no or little problem for Stefan Löfven (the Social Democratic leader) to be elected PM. The election is made with negative majority in Riksdagen. So if less than 175 MPs votes against Löfven he is elected. The former government parties are supposed to lay down their votes which will make a majority in Riksdagen. I don't know if even i have got it correctly, or translated it correct. You are right that it will be challenging years for the government an very uncertain if they survive for the whole period of four years.

If we get in a situation with no government, that also most probably means that we will not see any state visits. In the short time, I hope that the new government take office in a couple of weeks so the December state visit not will be postponed or cancelled.

A new year is coming up and so far no State Visits to/from Sweden has been announced. But what could be expect or wish for during next year?

I'm afraid that the government crisis and the extra general election to parliament on March 22nd make that we not will se any state visits before the summer. Maybe we could expect an Introduction visit from Spain during this period of time, but nothing more.

We could also expect a State Visit to Finland in August. It is custom that the King and Queen pay a State Visit on the third year of Finnish President term. Maybe the Crown Princess and Prince Daniel will join this State Visit.

What I wish for is a State Visit to or from another monarchy.
- A visit from Denmark (8 years since the Visit in Denmark in 2007, time for a return visit.)
- A visit to Luxemburg (7 years since the visit in Sweden in 2008, time for Their Majesties retur visit.)
- A visit to United Kingdom (We are just longing for such a glittering event. Queen to Queen!)

Last edited:

I also hope that Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia will pay a state visit to Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. The last swedish state visit to UK was to Scotland in 1975 perfomed by the King alone as he was unmarried (but i saw a photo from the state banquet at Holyrood House and his sister Princess Margareta and her husband John Ambler was there too though they lived in uk) while the UK return visit to Sweden in 1983 so it is time to do it back to UK again now ofcourse with Silvia too.

I think we can expect an incoming introductory visit from Spain in the spring and an outgoing state visit to Finland in the Fall (maybe Victoria, Daniel and Estelle will join them to Finland. Victoria did it the last time).

Incoming state visits ? Hopefully from a monarchy. Denmark would be nice but it is actually time for Harald and Sonja in Norway to travel to Stockholm before Margrethe and Henrik does it. The last Norwegian state visit to Sweden was in 1992 and the swedish return visit in 1993 so it is time.

I don't think the uncertain government situation will have a huge impact on this matter. It is not really a crisis yet as the government has not resigned.

Last edited:
I also hope that Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia will pay a state visit to Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. The last swedish state visit to UK was to Scotland in 1975 perfomed by the King alone as he was unmarried (but i saw a photo from the state banquet at Holyrood House and his sister Princess Margareta and her husband John Ambler was there too though they lived in uk) while the UK return visit to Sweden in 1983 so it is time to do it back to UK again now ofcourse with Silvia too.

I think we can expect an incoming introductory visit from Spain in the spring and an outgoing state visit to Finland in the Fall (maybe Victoria, Daniel and Estelle will join them to Finland. Victoria did it the last time).

Incoming state visits ? Hopefully from a monarchy. Denmark would be nice but it is time for Harald and Sonja in Norway to travel to Stockholm before Margrethe and Henrik does it. The last Norwegian state visit to Sweden was in 1992 and the swedish return visit in 1993 so it is time.

I doubt the government crisis will have a huge impact on this matter.

well if we're going by years, the Danes haven't been to Sweden since 1985.

I'd like to see a Belgian State Visit and a Spanish State Visit. Perhaps also a Mexican State Visit.

well if we're going by years, the Danes haven't been to Sweden since 1985.

I'd like to see a Belgian State Visit and a Spanish State Visit. Perhaps also a Mexican State Visit.

You are right. I just have a feeling that the Norwegians will pay a state visit before the Danes does it is only 7 years since the swedish state visit to Denmark.

We can expect an incoming state visit from Belgium but i don't think it will be already next year. The Spanish King will probably do an introductory visit before i does a state visit.

You are right. I just have a feeling that the Norwegians will pay a state visit before the Danes does it is only 7 years since the swedish state visit to Denmark.

It is hard to know. The King and Queen paid an official visit to Norway as late as in 2013. Back in 2005 there was official visits between the countries (one in each country) marking the century of dissolution of Swedish-Norwegian Union with two tiara banquets.

I just hope for a glittering State Visit in the fall, except the traditional one to Finland. The state visits to Finland usually treats us with two tiara events.

Now when the extraordinary general election not will happen in March there is gladly place for a state visit or two.

Official visit to Lithuania by swedish royal family
A visit of the Swedish royal family is planned in Lithuania in the coming autumn, according to Jovita Neliupšienė, chief adviser to Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaitė on foreign policy issues.
"Symbolically, we plan to finish the construction of a power link with Sweden this year and the visit of the Swedish royal family is also planned in the fall. It's exceptional for its protocol elements. It will be royal family's official visit and it will crown our relations with Sweden, with the Nordic states," she told the Žinių Radijas radio on Tuesday morning.
Swedish royal family plans visit to Lithuania - EN.DELFI

Official visit to Lithuania by swedish royal family
A visit of the Swedish royal family is planned in Lithuania in the coming autumn, according to Jovita Neliupšienė, chief adviser to Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaitė on foreign policy issues.
"Symbolically, we plan to finish the construction of a power link with Sweden this year and the visit of the Swedish royal family is also planned in the fall. It's exceptional for its protocol elements. It will be royal family's official visit and it will crown our relations with Sweden, with the Nordic states," she told the Žinių Radijas radio on Tuesday morning.
Swedish royal family plans visit to Lithuania - EN.DELFI

I wonder if this will have the status of a state visit or just an official visit. It is perhaps not surprising after all. State visits to the other Baltic countries has taken place during the last couple of years. Also interesting to see which people of the Royal Family that will attend.

It doesn't seems to be any incoming state visits before the Kings Birthday (a.k.a. before the end of April). In the closing schedule of the State Apartments of the Royal Palace there are no major closing, as necessary for a state visit. Let's hope there will be some in the fall instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Yes finally! And a bit earlier than expected. Let's hope for a very glittering visit in Finland

So now we are past a VERY successful state visit to Finland. Fantastic to see how popular the swedish monarchy is in Finland. I think a lot of finnish people deep down wished that Finland was monarchy instead of a Republic. But it's apparent that the Finnish Presidential Couple and the swedish King and Queen likes each other very much and have a great chemistry.
And we got to see a lot of sparkling jewels too with both the Sapphire parure and the Nine prong tiara being used.

I wonder where the next visit will be. I would love to see the King and Queen to pay a state visit to Chile or the Chilean President Michelle Bachelet to pay a state visit to Sweden as Chile is my birth country :)

Would also love to see the 3 Nordic monarchies pay state visits to each other. There is always a "special feeling" in the air even outside the Palace walls when there is a state visit from Denmark or Norway that can't be replicated by other monarchies.

I wonder where the next visit will be. I would love to see the King and Queen to pay a state visit to Chile or the Chilean President Michelle Bachelet to pay a state visit to Sweden as Chile is my birth country :)

Would also love to see the 3 Nordic monarchies pay state visits to each other. There is always a "special feeling" in the air even outside the Palace walls when there is a state visit from Denmark or Norway that can't be replicated by other monarchies.

Oh I think it is so hard. There is so many state visits that I want to see. Of course an incoming state visit from the new Kings in Europe. I also want to see a visit from Denmark, but think that has to wait until 2017 (wedding this year and King's 70th birthday in 2016). It would be nice if the Royal Couple paid a state visit to UK in the fall and an incoming visit from Chile (yes why not) or Mexico.

Some countries I wish there will be a state visit to or from in a near future:
Incoming
Denmark
Netherlands
Spain
Belgium
Mexico

Outgoing
Luxembourg
Jordan
UK
Germany
South Africa

Last edited:

Don't think it very likely that there will be State Visits to the other scandinavian monarchies soon. Usuallly there is only one State visit in each reign. The swedish State Visit to Denmark in 2007 was an eception but if i remeber right it was then said that Queen Margrethe was invited to make a State Visit to Sweden.
As for other monarchies in Europe perhaps the swedish Royal Coupkle will soon pay a State Visit to Luxembourg as the have not visited Grand Duke Henri .
And for incoming State Visits i think the three new monarchies in the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain will be invited to Sweden in the next years.

O

Outgoing

Germany

It is really time the swedish King and Queen are invited to a State visit to Germany again as their last one was in 1979 short before the birth of Prince Carl Philip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't think it very likely that there will be State Visits to the other scandinavian monarchies soon. Usuallly there is only one State visit in each reign. The swedish State Visit to Denmark in 2007 was an eception but if i remeber right it was then said that Queen Margrethe was invited to make a State Visit to Sweden.
As for other monarchies in Europe perhaps the swedish Royal Coupkle will soon pay a State Visit to Luxembourg as the have not visited Grand Duke Henri .
And for incoming State Visits i think the three new monarchies in the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain will be invited to Sweden in the next years.

I don't think it is out of the question that will will see a second state visit from Denmark to Sweden during this reign. Carl-Gustaf have as you said made 2 state visits to Margrethe during her reign and the countries (not only it's royal families) is extremly close and have a lot in common.

But i agree that it's more likely that the 3 new european monarches will pay a State visit to Sweden before Margrethe makes her second visit.
Judging from when their parents were here i guess Felipe and Letizia will come first (J-C and S were here in 1979), the W-A and Maxima (B and C were here in 1987) and then Philippe and Mathilde (A and P were here in 1994).

It would indeed be nice to see Swedish visits to Luxembourg and
Germany soon.

Last edited:
But i agree that it's more likely that the 3 new european monarches will pay a State visit to Sweden before Margrethe makes her second visit.

Judging from when their parents were here i guess Felipe and Letizia will come first (J-C and S were here in 1979), the W-A and Maxima (B and C were here in 1987) and then Philippe and Mathilde (A and P were here in 1994).

I think that a visit from Margrethe can't be on hold for that long, neither her or C-G are getting any younger.

They can take that it to consideration, but they don't have to. The last visits from Spain, Netherlands and Belgium took place in the order the acceded to the throne, about 3-4 years after. So it is possible they will visit Sweden in the same order, one every year. It would indeed mean a lot of glitter.

The last visits from Spain, Netherlands and Belgium took place in the order the acceded to the throne, about 3-4 years after. So it is possible they will visit Sweden in the same order, one every year. It would indeed mean a lot of glitter.

But Albert and Paola already visted one year after the came to the throne. for Beatrix it was seven years later and also Spain was four years after the came to the throne.

Back
Top Bottom