She was called drottning Josefina

My name was given to me by my sister
My grandma wanted to name me My, "Lilla My" as a nickname

and there is many Lena in Sweden

Old 12-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
daughter-in-law of Oskar I and Josephine

O, sorry. I tried to get back to that site but I couldn't. O, well. The name was used before.

Lena Olin.

August, Prince of Sweden and Norway (son of Oscar I, King of Sweden and Norway and Joséphine, Duchess of Leuchtenberg) b. 24 Aug 1831, Drottningholm, m. 16 Apr 1864, in Altenburg, Therese, Princess of Saxe-Altenburg, b. 21 Dec 1836, Ansbach, d. 9 Nov 1914, Stockholm. August, died 4 Mar 1873, Stockholm. Also Duke of Dalarne. Full name: Carl Nikolaus August. Therese,: Full name: Therese Amalie Karoline Josephine Antoinette.

Old 12-29-2003, 06:34 PM
Courtier

Is it true that the King and Queen picked the name "Madeleine" for Princess Madeleine simply because they liked it? Or has there been a royal with the name Madeleine before?
Old 12-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Majesty

Madeleine, Countess Bernadotte (daughter of Carl, Prince Bernadotte and Elsa, Countess von Rosen) b. 8 Oct 1938, Stockholm, m. (1) 1962, in Stockholm, divorced 1980, Albert, Count Ullens de Schooten, b. 11 Nov 1927, Cairo, m. (2) 21 Nov 1981, in Corfu, Nicos Kogevinas, b. 6 Sep 1918, Corfu. Full name: Madeleine Ingeborg Ella Astrid Elsa.

"Count Ullens de Schooten,"

Friends of the Norwegian Royals!
Old 12-29-2003, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

You´re so fast, Dennis...I had the same information, but a few (or a few more) seconds later! :flower:
Old 12-29-2003, 06:40 PM
Majesty

The name looked familiar because I had just seen the photo that goes with this caption:

JANUARY 10, 2001 90TH BIRTHDAY OF PRINCE CARL BERNADOTTE Prince Carl Bernadotte born January 10, 1911 is the brother of Crown Princess Märtha. He has one daughter Madeleine Kogevinas. He is the grandfather of her four Ullens de Schooten children : Marie-Christine, Jean, Astrid, Sophie and her youngest Désirée Kogevinas. He had become to frail to come to Märtha Louise's wedding, but he and his third wife Princess Kristine Bernadotte attended Haakons wedding. They had been married for 25 years on June 8, 2003. His 90th birthday in 2001 was the first time he saw Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby
Old 09-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Aristocracy

What would be ?

common names for future heirs of Victoria and CP and Madeleine?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Hm, I think you can´t really say, that Madeleine´s children would be heirs...maybe in the sense of "heir of genes" or "heir of fortune"...she´s only third in the line to the throne...so the chances that the mini-Madeleines become queen or king isn´t high...ok, maybe she will marry a successor to the throne...who knows.
But to go back to the question:
Classics (names related to the monarchy) for girls would be : Christina, Desiree, Victoria, Josefine/Josefina, Sophie/Sophia, Louise/Louisa, Margareta, Ulrika, Eleonora, Ingeborg, Karin and Ingrid (I´m sure I´ve forgotten a few).

and for boys: Carl (of course), Johan, Gustaf/Gustav, Adolf (but I´m sure neither Victoria nor Madeleine or Carl Philip would call a boy Adolf), Oscar, Eric/Erik, Bertil, Folke, Edmund, Philip, Magnus, maybe Fredrik/Frederik, Christian/Kristian and Alexander (but the last 3 belong more to Denmark).

So these are the classics...a lot of them are characteristic for Royal houses in general...or they even are classics in the whole western world (Sophia, Victoria, Christina...Philip, Eric, Alexander). So I´m quite sure one or more grandchildren of the swedish king would get one or more of these names. But I also see a trend among the young Royals to name their children a little bit less traditional...I doubt that the first son of Victoria will be named "Carl" or the first son of cp Frederik and cp Mary "Christian" or "Frederik". But I´m quite sure that they will/would have a traditonal part in the whole name of the child.
My guess was that cp Victoria would have named her daughter "Ingrid"...maybe the same thing with Frederik´s daughter (as tribute to the wonderul queen Ingrid)...but there´s already one princess "Ingrid" in this future reigning-generation...wonder if Victoria and Frederik were a little bit disappointed (?)
Old 09-12-2004, 03:12 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks Lena.. I was just wondering if Swedish Royals followed the tradition naming of their kids like other Royals follow.

what i meant by heir is there children not actually to the throne... But Madeleine will be my Queen...
Old 10-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Majesty

Madeleine - becouse they liked it
Thérèse Amelie - HH Therese Amalie Karoline Josephine Antoinette Princess of Saxe-Altenburg, Duchess of Saxony (In Sweden styled as Princess Theresia)
Josephine - from Queen Josefina of sweden

i changed the name of the thread so that we can talk about tge others name to

Carl Philip Edmund Bertil

and

Victoria Ingrid Alice Désirée
Old 01-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Commoner

Sorry to revive this thread.....

But in Sweden how do you pronounce Carl Philip's name? In my Aussie accent it would be too harsh I think - is it Karl Fil-ip? Or with an e on the end?

I have no idea - I would love some Swedish help so when I go to Sweden and meet him I don't make a fool of myself :p lol
Old 01-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, one should be prepared for every case

When you watch this programme, you will hear his name and the names of his sisters (pronounced the swedish way) pretty soon:

http://svt.se/content/1/c6/31/23/96...amiljen2004.ram
Old 01-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Commoner

Whats the surname of the royal family? Victora, Philip and Madeleine seem to have different last names.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanorama
Whats the surname of the royal family? Victora, Philip and Madeleine seem to have different last names.
How do you mean?
Their surname is Bernadotte and all the children has that name... but they dont always use it in "everyday life". In school Victoria was called "Kronprinsessan Victoria" on her report card.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanorama
the dukesdoms they have after thier name is not last names

trippc I think its great when old thread get a bit attention so keep finding them and get some new perspective on old subjects
Old 01-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
How do you mean?
Their surname is Bernadotte and all the children has that name... but they dont always use it in "everyday life". In school Victoria was called "Kronprinsessan Victoria" on her report card.
Oh, was she really? What about the Prince and the Princess M.?
On their passports, does it say Bernadotte?
Thanks! :)
Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen88
Oh, was she really? What about the Prince and the Princess M.?
On their passports, does it say Bernadotte?
Thanks! :)
I dont know about the prince and the princess. But as Victoria is "higher" ranked its possible that only she has this princess-calling all the time.
I dont know much about their passports, but I do know that the whole royal family has diplomat passports.

I remember reading that when Victoria was 7 years old and started school, all of her teachers had to adress her as "princess".
Must be wierd for a 7 year old :)
Old 06-19-2005, 04:24 AM
Majesty

did carl philip also use bernadotte in the military
Old 06-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
did carl philip also use bernadotte in the military
Yes he did. In the photos of him in uniform you can see his name: "Bernadotte" and a number I think, on his chest...

But on Victorias, it said Kronprinsessan (Crownprincess)
Old 09-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
Yes he did. In the photos of him in uniform you can see his name: "Bernadotte" and a number I think, on his chest...

But on Victorias, it said Kronprinsessan (Crownprincess)
i did not notice that i will tack down the military thread and have a look