Swedish Royal Family, Current Events Part 7: May 2014 - Sept. 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the pre-eminence change when Victoria ascends to the throne? I don't think Victoria would want Daniel walking behind CP & Madeleine when she is not there.

I also see on the March 2014 invitation Daniel is before Christina, a Haga princess.

Last edited:
As I understand it:

Monarch/spouse
heir/spouse
children of the heir
younger children of the monarch/spouse (based on order of succession)
siblings of the monarch in succession
siblings of the monarch no longer in succession based on birth order

so as it stand now
King/Queen
Victoria/Daniel
Estelle
CP/Sofia
Madeleine
Birgitta
and then the other sisters in birth order

When Vic is queen:
Victoria/Daniel
Estelle and her future spouse
any children
New prince/ss and their future spouse
any children
CP/Sofia
Madeleine

As Daniel is son law to the king he currently is above say a sister of the king, but without his wife there, his brother and sister in law out rank him. But when he becomes prince consort, he should only be out ranked by his wife.

And this would be the change when V & D's baby is born:

King/Queen
1. Victoria/Daniel
2. Estelle
3. Prince(ss) Bernadotte Westling
(if a twin Prince or Princess Bernadotte Westling no 2 is born, this baby becomes 4th in line)

If there is a twin everyone else goes down a place:

4 to 5. CP/Sofia
5 to 6. Madeleine
6 to 7. Leonore
7 to 8. Nicolas
8 to 9. Birgitta

Perhaps there is speculation to twins because five immediate successors to the throne are impacted.

And when Victoria becomes queen, who becomes regent when she leaves the country? Would it be Daniel when she goes alone or would it be Carl Philip? I can't imagine they would not iron this out beforehand; the king will not be on the throne forever and a smooth transaction would be needed to keep the monarchy in some good stead I would think.

Last edited:
And this would be the change when V & D's baby is born:

King/Queen
1. Victoria/Daniel
2. Estelle
3. Prince(ss) Bernadotte Westling
(if a twin Prince or Princess Bernadotte Westling no 2 is born, this baby becomes 4th in line)

If there is a twin everyone else goes down a place:

4 to 5. CP/Sofia
5 to 6. Madeleine
6 to 7. Leonore
7 to 8. Nicolas
8 to 9. Birgitta

Perhaps there is speculation to twins because five immediate successors to the throne are impacted.

And when Victoria becomes queen, who becomes regent when she leaves the country? Would it be Daniel when she goes alone or would it be Carl Philip? I can't imagine they would not iron this out beforehand; the king will not be on the throne forever and a smooth transaction would be needed to keep the monarchy in some good stead I would think.

Daniel, like Silvia, can't act as regent. A regent must be someone in line of succession. If Victoria comes to the throne before Estelle comes of age, CP will serve as regent when his sister is out of the country. If he is unable, then it falls to the next adult in line of succession. It is one of the reasons Bertil wouldn't marry. He worried his father would die before CG was an adult, and he would be needed as regent. He was the last male in the line of succession, as women weren't in succession back then.

I question where does Silvia fall if she outlives her husband? As Dowager queen? Obviously after her daughter and son in law. Would she be after Estelle and her siblings, but before CP and Maddie? She isn't in line for succession but she would still fall in order of precedence some where.

Last edited:
Surely Sylvia would be placed in order of precedence after Victoria and Daniel but before the heir, Estelle? She is a Queen Consort and would be Dowager Queen (Queen mother) in the next reign (if it works out that way), and Estelle would still only be a princess.

I think Sylvia would become queen mother as the parent of the new sovereign Victoria. I think she would fall after Estelle & Baby Bernadotte Westling no 2 (or 3). I think Estelle would take the title of crown princess; her monogram would have to change to look like Victoria's - with the crown of the heir apparent. Daniel may get a change in monogram and crown insignia too as the prince consort. Of course this is speculation. The Riksdag upended all the rules in 1979; it may reshuffle the deck when Victoria becomes queen.

A Dowager Queen in Sweden has always ranked right after the Monarch and his/her spouse. If there are two Dowager Queens the widow of the last reigning King outranks the other.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

@JR76 - would Estelle become crown princess when Victoria takes the throne?

Of course she would.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The Instrument of Government establishes the rules for regencies as follows:
Art. 4. If the King or Queen who is Head of State is not in a position to perform his or her duties, the member of the Royal House in line under the order of succession and able to do so shall assume and perform the duties of Head of State in the capacity of Regent ad interim.

Art. 5. Should the Royal House become extinct, the Riksdag elects a Regent to perform the duties of Head of State until further notice. The Riksdag elects a Deputy Regent at the same time. The same applies if the King or Queen who is Head of State dies or abdicates and the heir to the throne has not yet reached the age of eighteen.

It seems similar to the UK, where spouses fall after prince/princesses of the blood if their royal partner is not present. So if Victoria is there, Daniel only follows the queen and king (and any visiting heads of state). But if his wife is not there, he follows CP and Madeleine.
A Dowager Queen in Sweden has always ranked right after the Monarch and his/her spouse. If there are two Dowager Queens the widow of the last reigning King outranks the other.

Perhaps the "spouses fall after prince/princesses of the blood if their royal partner is not present" rule is for male spouses only, as they do not use their wives' titles.

Queen Silvia and Sofia attended today in a meeting with children's rights organizations in Sweden to discuss efforts to help newly arrived children and young people.
The queen, who initiated the meeting, welcomed the participants. Invited were representatives from: Barnombudsmannen (The Ombudsman for Children in Sweden), BRIS (Children’s Rights in Society), Care about the Children, Ecpat, Mentor Sverige, Plan International Sverige, Rädda Barnen (Save the Children), Scouts, SOS Barnbyar (SOS Children's Villages), UNICEF and World Childhood Foundation.
Moderator during the morning was Tove Kjellander. The Ombudsman for Children and the organizations told about the work done today with a focus on Sweden.
This was followed by a workshop "Our refugee children: The challenge of our time" where the participants in groups discussed what is being done today and what needs to be developed. In a summary the talks showed that there is a clear desire for collaboration between organizations, governments and civil society. That the experience and knowledge needs to be shared and how important it is to listen to the children.
In conjunction with the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child 20th anniversary in 2009 the queen took the initiative and brought together the major children's rights organizations and The Ombudsman for Children to jointly pay attention to children's rights. The Queen has now gathered the same organizations to a workshop to highlight the ongoing work, share experiences and look ahead to see possible cooperation in efforts to help newly arrived children and young people.
Drottningen och Prinsessan Sofia i möte med barnrättsorganisationer - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The queen with a representative from Mentor Sverige
https://www.facebook.com/mentorsver...0499565694651/957750647636201/?type=3&theater

Last edited:
Last edited:
I question where does Silvia fall if she outlives her husband? As Dowager queen? Obviously after her daughter and son in law. Would she be after Estelle and her siblings, but before CP and Maddie? She isn't in line for succession but she would still fall in order of precedence some where.

Silvia will then appear on formal occassions as nr 3 after Victoria and Daniel but before Estelle.

But strictly in the family order of precedence she will be nr 2, only outranked by Victoria as she is still styled "Her Majesty" while Daniel only is a "His Royal Highness"

The official Swedish title for a widowed Queen is "Änkedrottning" wich means "Queen Dowager". It was last used by Queen Sofia, the wife of King Oscar II and mother to Gustaf V, who died in 1913, 6 years after her husband.
Both Queen Victoria and Queen Louise preceded their husbands in death.

The word "Änkedrottning" sounds very painful and unmodern so i can imagine that the government will allow Silvia to use the more modern title "Drottningmoder" wich means "Queen Mother".

The king and Victoria met the three new ministers.
- Minister for EU Affairs and Trade, Ann Linde
- Minister for the Environment, Karolina Skog
- Minister for Housing and Digital Development, Peter Eriksson
Kungen och Kronprinsessan i möte med regeringens nya statsråd - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

After having met the ministers the king and Victoria attended at the Council of State. At the meeting each minister informs the king and the crown princess about political initiatives, reports and pending legislation in their respective ministries and answers questions from the King.
Informationskonselj på Kungliga slottet - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Last edited:
The official Swedish title for a widowed Queen is "Änkedrottning" wich means "Queen Dowager". It was last used by Queen Sofia, the wife of King Oscar II and mother to Gustaf V, who died in 1913, 6 years after her husband.
Both Queen Victoria and Queen Louise preceded their husbands in death.

The word "Änkedrottning" sounds very painful and unmodern so i can imagine that the government will allow Silvia to use the more modern title "Drottningmoder" wich means "Queen Mother".

There was also "Änkehertiginna" (Dowager Duchess) for the widows of princes, but the last one to use that title was Princess Teresia who became a widow in 1873 and lived to 1914. Later royal widows like Ingeborg, Sibylla and Lilian kept their titles.

My guess is that if Silvia is alive when Victoria ascends the throne, her title will change from Sveriges Drottning to Drottning av Sverige. The same way King Albert's and Queen Paola's titles changed after the abdication.

Surprising and unusual, Expressen has an article about the Council of State and meeting the ministers. Not surpirising, that the most of the article is about Victoria's clothes, but the Minister for the Environment, Karolina Skog said about the event:
- We had a nice time! Everybody is concerned about climate and environmental issues, and both the King and the Crown Princess are both engaged and interested about those.
Victoria got the most attention because of her casual but elegant style, wearing a short blue lace blouse with matching pencil skirt, both from the swedish chain Lindex where they are sold for 299 and 349 SEK. Expressen's fashion expert Emma Danielsson hails that the Crown Princess receives Swedish Government in so simple and - relatively - cheap clothes.
- There is a tremendous interest in the royal family, not least for their clothes. All are very curious about what they dress themselves in. People are interested in brands and it gets more fun when there are clothes that you yourself as ordinary consumer have the opportunity to buy. It's great that she once again chose Swedish. She is such a great style icon in Sweden and internationally, so it will be a boost for Swedish fashion when the crown princess and the entire royal family chooses to showcase Swedish fashion. We saw the crown princess wear H & M twice in the King's 70th birthday. I think they are good at it. I would like to see more Swedish fashion on the royal family members. There has been a lot of lace this spring, it's a big trend right now. I think the style itself is quite dimmed and classical, but she looks very elegant and well-dressed.
For Lindex it is a real lift that Victoria chooses the chain's clothes at this official context.
- It's obviously great that Crown Princess Victoria chose to wear this lace blouse with attached skirt from our summer collection. We want to offer an inspiring fashion for all occasions and it is not the first time that the crown princess chooses to dress in Lindex. We hope that many are inspired by the Crown Princess's cool style and find their summer garments with us, writes communicator Kristina Hermansson in an email to Expressen.
Här tar kronprinsessan Victoria emot ministrar i Lindex-blus _ Svenska kungahuset _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
The king and Carl Philip attend today at the annual Stenhammar Day.
The king opened the day
https://twitter.com/GunnelaStahle/status/742269547214983168

Carl Philip has taken Sofia and Alexander there too
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGl6IH4P8hv/?taken-by=kungahuset
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGl5m10pLEU/?taken-by=svenskdamtidning

There was about 100 people attending at the Stenhammar Day, which is organized by the Swedish University of Agriculture and Stenhammar Estate Management.
Kungen och Prins Carl Philip vid Stenhammardagen - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The king said in the end of his speech: "Another good news is that this year we have received a Duke of Södermanland, the little prince Alexander! I hope that in the future he will feel that he belongs here. Like his father and grandfather do".
H.M. Konungens tal vid Stenhammardagen, måndagen den 13 juni 2016 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Vår reporter mötte kungen på Stenhammar_ ”Var på ett strålande humör” _ Svensk Damtidning

Last edited:
Soon the Sweden Dinner will begin. From court Instagram
"The tables at this evening’s Sweden Dinner at the Royal Palace will be decorated with arrangements of hydrangea, scabiosa and clematis flowers."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKbM2B9Bkx8/?taken-by=kungahuset

Large gallery in Expressen. Victoria looks gorgeous.
Kungafamiljen håller Sverigemiddag på slottet _ Kungligt _ Expressen

By Claudio Bresciani
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0900010090011D1474051449975002
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0900010090021D1474051449975002
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0900010090031D1474051449975002
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0900010090041D1474051449975002
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0900010060011K14740522559754

Last edited:
Most handsome: Prince Carl Philip. He looks just great! The king and prince Daniel look fine, but he's winning the male category.

Winner in ladies category: Crown Princess Victoria. Very simple but elegant dress, and she nails the whole look. Sofia - fine on the upper part, but much to heavy black skirt. And Silvia - what is that? Sorry, but not a good look for her.

I wonder why they all look very smiley in this occasions. Is it because they have to smile to every member who is introduced to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom