The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 07-22-2016, 04:00 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 23,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
What's wrong with that reaction? I have a headstrong 3-year-old boy myself and would have reacted the same as Chris did. If my son doesn't want to do anything right this moment, then yes, I could force him to do so. But the result would be, that he wouldn't be very happy. And a family photo with a mad or grumpy looking (at best) or a kicking and screaming (at worst) kid wouldn't make for a good family photo. I as mother know my son best (beside the father) and if I say "Just let him. He won't come." then it should be respected by my relatives. Because it doesn't mean, he will never come, just not this very moment. I know my son and if I just let him be for a few more minutes and then ask him again calmly to just come over so we can take a nice photo of all of us, he would do so. But he wouldn't, if everyone would ask him or trays to talk him into doing so. He just would be more and more opposed to it. I think, that's just what was going on in Chris' head. Besides Madeleine he knows his daughter best. And if he thinks his daughter just needs a few more minutes to calm down, blow of energy or getting herself interested in the idea of taking a nice photo, then honestly, what are a few more minutes? The world won't fall apart. After all, we're talking about a 2-year-old, not a 5-year-old. The last one could be expected of to be ready for the shoot at the planned time. But not the first one, who is right in the middle of the very egoistic time of growing up. She simply doesn't know that it's bad behaviour, she is showing right that moment. She doesn't want to do any harm. She just simply doesn't feel like standig/sitting put and smiling nicely for complete strangers. It's as simple as that. And it has nothing to do with bad parenting skills. To be honest, I think Chris knows exactly what his daughter can understand and what is just to much to understand for a girl her age. And that's why he understandably (at least by me) reacted the way he did.
The photoshoot was done just before lunch. Leonore had the whole morning time to run at the Solliden Palace's private part where the family is staying at Kavaljershuset, to get herself tired and calm. She is 2 years 5 months old and I think that her parents should have been able to keep her at their arms for that minute or two which was needed to take the photos. She was at Madeleine's arms when the king, queen and Estelle sat at the bench and they started to organize for the photoshoot. Then Madeleine let Leonore go down and she started running.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 6,273
Carl Gustaf dancing with the music
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIKVy1Wjyjr/
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,114
Summer Holidays with the Swedish Royal Family: 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The photoshoot was done just before lunch. Leonore had the whole morning time to run at the Solliden Palace's private part where the family is staying at Kavaljershuset, to get herself tired and calm. She is 2 years 5 months old and I think that her parents should have been able to keep her at their arms for that minute or two which was needed to take the photos. She was at Madeleine's arms when the king, queen and Estelle sat at the bench and they started to organize for the photoshoot. Then Madeleine let Leonore go down and she started running.
I agree with you. There was plenty of time to run around before and more than likely after the photo shoot. There are ways to bargain with a child Leinore's age that allows the child to feel in control, but still do what is expected. Just ignoring certain behaviors for fear of a tantrum or grumpy moods allows the kids to run the show. While I'm all for assertiveness, I still believe in having children learn how to follow instructions from an early age. Things like 'you need to stop running and stay with Mommy' are not difficult for a child of almost two-and-a-half years old.



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-22-2016, 09:41 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 4,231
What,a,gift the srf has given us. The messy, actual goings on behind the family photos we see. What other royal,family lets us see that? As far as two year olds go, come on, please.,,what two year old comes when called? Daria's suggestions of preparing the child,ahead of time and having "rewards" are just perfect and the way to go. To have five children under five, yikes,they were lucky they were all not crying? They are such an attractive and loving family.
Estelle seemed to be squinting and tired from the sun, or maybe she had been running all morning so,she would be tired enough for the session? Her grandfather seemed to be tired of the sun too.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-22-2016, 10:08 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
What,a,gift the srf has given us. The messy, actual goings on behind the family photos we see. What other royal,family lets us see that? As far as two year olds go, come on, please.,,what two year old comes when called? Daria's suggestions of preparing the child,ahead of time and having "rewards" are just perfect and the way to go. To have five children under five, yikes,they were lucky they were all not crying? They are such an attractive and loving family.
Estelle seemed to be squinting and tired from the sun, or maybe she had been running all morning so,she would be tired enough for the session? Her grandfather seemed to be tired of the sun too.
Why, thank you! Having worked with kids under five for three years, as well as with children who have special needs, I believe in things like preparation and rewards. They do wonders and as the child matures, can be phases out. In any case, I also enjoy working with kids who are feisty, because as they learn to channel their energy, they become the best helpers and peer tutors. As for the photo shoot, it was definitely refreshing to see the family act like well, a family. There are always children making mischief and well-meaning relatives who try to give advice on how to defuse the situation. Heat can definitely effect behavior. Estelle may very well have been tired from possibly playing outside earlier and being dressed up wasn't something she was particularly thrilled with. She was definitely more subdued. I also find it interesting to observe that Estelle's moodiness appears to manifest itself in a more subtle manner. She's also getting older and may feel as if she's 'over' being a center of attention. In any event, the whole dynamic was fascinating to observe. Oscar and Alexander appeared relatively calm, which was good. Babies are not always keen to pose when it's required.



Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-23-2016, 02:58 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 18,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The photoshoot was done just before lunch. Leonore had the whole morning time to run at the Solliden Palace's private part where the family is staying at Kavaljershuset, to get herself tired and calm. She is 2 years 5 months old and I think that her parents should have been able to keep her at their arms for that minute or two which was needed to take the photos. She was at Madeleine's arms when the king, queen and Estelle sat at the bench and they started to organize for the photoshoot. Then Madeleine let Leonore go down and she started running.
A tired child is the last thing you need at a photoshoot as they tend to cry quickly and have tantrums.

I can't see the problem. A two year old who likes to run around and doesn't listen... how surprising.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-23-2016, 05:32 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I just think that Chris was annoyed at how everyone was trying to convince Leonore to stay put. I mean, in the video you clearly hear him say to Daniel "she won't come, just ignore her"... I think he knew that maybe Leo would come if she didn't get too much attention, but Madde promply went for the rescue.
I agree, Chris knows his own child and perhaps ignoring her is their way of not allowing her to hijack every occasion. If she's anything like my niece was at 2 - 3 she's a quintessential "terrible two". Ignoring her was the only way to stop her outrageous behaviour because if she didn't have an audience she'd get bored and come to find out what you were doing.

If Chris believes that a parent, as the adult should be in control, then Madeleine chasing after the child gave the power to the child. He also probably had mental pictures of either he or Madeleine holding a squirming, screaming child. Not the ideal outcome.

But let's face it, with five kids under four at one photo shoot, things didn't really go too badly.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-23-2016, 06:03 AM
crm2317's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,267
I have to say I'm siding with Chris on this one! Leonore seems to love an audience, whether at a christening or a photoshoot. I teach 4 year olds and have found that chasing them makes it seem like a game and they end up finding it quite entertaining. She needed a strong hand before they even came out, Madeleine should have just held onto her at the beginning and not let her down to then run off!
__________________
God Save the House of Windsor
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I agree, Chris knows his own child and perhaps ignoring her is their way of not allowing her to hijack every occasion. If she's anything like my niece was at 2 - 3 she's a quintessential "terrible two". Ignoring her was the only way to stop her outrageous behaviour because if she didn't have an audience she'd get bored and come to find out what you were doing.

If Chris believes that a parent, as the adult should be in control, then Madeleine chasing after the child gave the power to the child. He also probably had mental pictures of either he or Madeleine holding a squirming, screaming child. Not the ideal outcome.

But let's face it, with five kids under four at one photo shoot, things didn't really go too badly.

I think this might be the main issue: Chris is often away, and although he loves his children, he might not be so much present. So, logicially he lets Madeleine make the rules, but I think the have first to find a compromise on how to raise their kids.

It seems to me they have a discrepancy on the matter: Chris would like to put some rules and limits, while Madeleine seems to spoil her children and concede anything...

They have to work out a solution, because those little rows in public are not very pleasant to see.
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-23-2016, 09:33 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,371
I am very loath to make statements about Chris's parenting style or, more importantly, assume that because he is a businessman he is away a lot with consequent little input in the day to day lives of his wife and children.

He is not a travelling salesman or a long-haul truck driver, he is an investment banker/financier, so unless someone officially tells us, we don't know how often or how long he is away from home. Personally, I don't believe he is away all that often or it would have been just as easy for Madeleine and the children to remain in Sweden.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am very loath to make statements about Chris's parenting style or, more importantly, assume that because he is a businessman he is away a lot with consequent little input in the day to day lives of his wife and children.

He is not a travelling salesman or a long-haul truck driver, he is an investment banker/financier, so unless someone officially tells us, we don't know how often or how long he is away from home. Personally, I don't believe he is away all that often or it would have been just as easy for Madeleine and the children to remain in Sweden.
He has said that himself few times. And by no emans I was epxressing any jusdgement, just giving my point of view over two different opinions on raising kids they might have.
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I think this might be the main issue: Chris is often away, and although he loves his children, he might not be so much present. So, logicially he lets Madeleine make the rules, but I think the have first to find a compromise on how to raise their kids.

It seems to me they have a discrepancy on the matter: Chris would like to put some rules and limits, while Madeleine seems to spoil her children and concede anything...

They have to work out a solution, because those little rows in public are not very pleasant to see.
My feeling is that Madeleine is raising her children exacly as she herself was raised: with a very very enabling and permissive attitude. Honestly not a good idea considering her behavior as an adult.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary85 View Post
My feeling is that Madeleine is raising her children exacly as she herself was raised: with a very very enabling and permissive attitude. Honestly not a good idea considering her behavior as an adult.
Well, I don't think any of the two way of parenting is wrong. I just believe that, if such different view exist, the parents should find a compromise... it could also very well depend on two different upbringings and cultural backgrounds...
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-26-2016, 10:23 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,371
It has been my experience that parenting styles often comprise a baseline set of rules and the parents wing it thereafter taking into account the different personalities of their kids. The imp, the dreamer, the pusher, the pleaser, all require different input from both parents and in the case of Chris and Madeleine, we just don't know enough to make "judgements" about them or their parenting styles.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,564
All children are nice some of the time.

All children are not-so-nice some of the time.

At this photo shoot, 80% of the children were nice all of the time.
__________________
"If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 07-27-2016, 12:40 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,188
Only 2 of 5 kids you could at all expect to, the boys too young. So 50/50 on behavior of the kids but Leonor is at hard age.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-27-2016, 02:48 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,453
Regardless of that photo-shoot (Chris tired, Lenore scampish), it's interesting that in the last recent interview of Chris, he indicated that after a slight wait, he and Madeleine intend to have more children.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,188
Maybe why waiting Realizing kids just over a year apart is a lot. Hope by time 3rd comes, Leonor will be a bit easier and Nico through his twos as well.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 07-27-2016, 03:32 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,453
Yep.

Interesting watching Sofia cooing over her baby (same with Victoria) with all the drama going forth around her. Ah! Families. Agree with whoever mentioned how the SRF shows 'the way it is', the way families are.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 07-29-2016, 05:29 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 23,582
Svensk Damtidning tells that the royal family made with a boat a trip to Sandvik one day, and had lunch at the local tavern. Sandvik is to the north from Borgholm.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crown princess victoria, king carl gustaf, prince daniel, queen silvia, swedish royal family summer portraits, swedish royal family summer portraits 2016


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2015/2016 An Ard Ri Royal Family of Spain 270 09-09-2016 05:42 PM
Frederik, Mary and Family on Summer Holidays: 2005-2008, 2012-2016 Princess Maxima Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 554 08-09-2016 07:24 PM
Prince Joachim and Family Summer Holidays: 2012-2016 dazzling Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and Family 44 07-22-2016 11:28 AM
Summer Holidays of the Swedish Royals Yennie Royal House of Sweden 60 08-08-2007 07:55 AM




Popular Tags
akhenaten albania ascot 2016 austria belgian queen mathilde belgian state visit to japan best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria daytime fashion denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of cornwall daytime fashion duke of cambridge family fashion poll jewels killing king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king willem-alexander lists member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince charles prince harken in canada princess eugenie fashion princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess sofia princess stéphanie's fashion & style queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion queen silvia rohan family september 2016 state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara uae wildlife


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises