The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie
what do you mean? Im pretty sure thats Madeleine. Its her dress anyway :)

Have you seen any better photos yet? I have only seen the ones from Fotomarktplatz so far...
well on the right most pic she looks quite different for me. Maybe the royal court hired a double for security

Old 03-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
well on the right most pic she looks quite different for me. Maybe the royal court hired a double for security
ah, interesting thought! Perhaps youre right :)
She looks thinner than usual. Perhaps because of some extra time spent at Mastertraining

Old 03-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Courtier

her extra training in Mastertraining? Hope she does not try to "steal" DW from her big sister
Old 03-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Fotomarktplatz has pictures from the gala dinner, but (like so often at this time of the night) Ive problems to make them bigger (Im sure this will work better tomorrow...or maybe it works already now for other members). To give you an impression, Ive made a collage of the thumbnails. When you see it, you will probably say "For what do I need the big pictures?!" Super-boring dinner. Neither the queen nor her daughters wore a new dress. Madeleine wore the blue dress she has worn very often in the past 2 years, Victoria has worn hers before (I think in Finland for the last time...and already then it was too big for her now thinner shape), and the queen wore the dress, she has worn in Denmark for Mary and Frederiks wedding. Victoria has also worn the "Mickey mouse tiara" *sigh*

Yennie, it seems we have the same problems with FMP and it seems we had the same thoughts (to post the thumbnails now)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latvia.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	118429  
Old 03-31-2005, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

The King's speech at the State Banquet 31 March 2005:

Madam President, Professor Freibergs,

The Queen and I wish you and all members of your delegation a warm welcome to Sweden on this State Visit. We consider it as an excellent confirmation of the close links between our countries - links extending as far back as there have been people and communities on both sides of our Baltic Sea.

Latvia is taking a rightful place in the cooperation between the Nordic-Baltic countries around the Baltic Sea. By visiting Latvia as early as 1929, my grandfathers father, King Gustaf V, demonstrated this friendship between neighbouring countries. And if we look even further back, to the end of the 17th century, Riga was actually, for a time, Swedens largest city.

The Queen and I, as well as the Crown Princess, have been to Latvia many times - the Queen in connection with the work of Her World Childhood Foundation, and the Crown Princess with her fellow students from Uppsala University. We all have fond memories of our visits, mainly because of the hospitality that has always been extended to us, not least when the Queen and I were on our State Visit in 1992, when Latvia had just regained its independence.

When your predecessor, President Ulmanis, visited us in 1995, I remember saying that Latvia and its people were engaged in an important mission to adjust society to democratic norms. Sweden, as well as the rest of the world has watched your impressive development with great interest and admiration.

Madam President, You share your destiny, with many other Latvians who were forced to leave their native country as refugees. With knowledge and skills you and they, have made a major contribution to social development in the countries in which you settled and worked. Also in Sweden, we are able to thank many people of Latvian origin for the efforts they have made for our common welfare and culture. Some of them are seated at this table tonight. I wish to welcome you particularly.

The success achieved by Latvia in terms of re-creating an independent nation based on democracy and the rule of law over a short period of time has most recently been recognised through your membership of the European Union and NATO.

For Sweden, it has been natural to be among the countries contributing most in supporting the transformation of Latvian society and Latvias endeavours to become a full member of the European Union. Intensive cooperation has taken place in more or less every area of society. Individuals, associations, local authorities and towns in both our countries have established close ties with each other. Environmental issues are among the crucial challenges.

It is a matter of safeguarding the unique and unspoilt natural environment that Latvia has to offer.

Its natural beauty and mile-long beaches are precisely what attracts Swedes and other tourists to visit Latvia. From our island of Gotland, the voyage by boat is not particularly long, and not from Stockholm either. Rigas beautiful architecture also makes it a destination for many culturally interested people.

The Swedish business sector has cultivated close ties with cooperation partners in Latvia. This has helped to make Sweden one of the largest sources of foreign investments in the country. Investments have been made in such areas as banking, air transport, mass media, telecommunications and forestry.

Since May last year, we have been working together on equal terms in the European Union. This means that in the future our close links will be characterised by a new dimension of cooperation in the new Europe.

A firm basis has been established for future development. Swedish initiatives in the Latvian business sector are now largely being carried forward by young, well-educated and skilled Latvians. We have had the privilege of welcoming many of these as scholarship holders and students. Others have studied at higher educational institutions in Latvia, such as the Stockholm School of Economics in Riga, which I had the honour of opening in 1994, or at the Riga Graduate School of Law.

Madam President,

You country has won respect internationally through the progress it has made after regaining freedom and independence, less than a decade and a half ago. During your visit, you and your husband will be able to learn more about our common heritage when you visit our oldest university in Uppsala and the Royal Library here in Stockholm. You, Professor Freibergs, will be guided around in, what is sometimes referred to as the Swedish Silicon Valley. Together we will listen to what representatives of the Latvian and Swedish business sectors see as further opportunities for close cooperation and development.

We have many memories in common. But there are unfortunately also periods in our history during which our links were broken. Now we are looking ahead at continued close relations and deeper cooperation between good neighbours. The many strong links now existing between our countries will hopefully be of even greater significance in the future. This State Visit is therefore an important confirmation of our common desire for continued and deeper friendship between our two countries.

And now, to celebrate all this: To Latvias President and to its people as well as to the close friendship between our countries, let me propose that we all raise a common toast!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer2002de
her extra training in Mastertraining? Hope she does not try to "steal" DW from her big sister
Maybe she has a relationship with Daniels business partner. So Sweden would get two fitness-princes :p

Hm, yes, she looks thinner...but thats just the "natural Madeleine circle" (gorging in fall & winter and starving in spring) and a circle which is important for the existence of many womens magazines, which make a lot of money in the spring with bikini diets (Hm, slowly I should also start mine )
Old 04-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Thanks for all of the photos and articles and translations. Its a shame what happened with that horse. Too bad. But it is unusual nonetheless.

"True North The Grand Landscapes of Sweden

Sounds like a good book to me!

"Cold smoked salmon with trout roe and pumpernickel, grouse chop with savoy cabbage and truffle, lingonberry and vinegar gravy, early spring produce and pommes Pont Neuf, and for dessert chocolate bavaroise in coconut chips with vanilla foam."

Yummy. It beats what I had for lunch. That dinner sounds great too. Veal in a morel sauce. Yummy too.

"Riga was actually, for a time, Swedens largest city." The only surviving gate in Riga was built in 1698 by the Swedes. A great speech. Very informative.

"This has helped to make Sweden one of the largest sources of foreign investments in the country."

"During the years Sweden has been among the top-five investors in Latvia. Taking into account the numbers of companies and work permits in Latvia, Sweden is the second largest active nation after Russia." Swedish CC in Latvia.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Boring dinner. As much as I like the swedish royals and their modest ways It would not hurt with a new dress everynow and then. Madeleine has worn that dress atleast three times before, does she not have a brand new Nobel dress hanging in her closet or was she planning on wearing this one? will she attend the retur dinner?

Hopefully Victoria is saving a new, non shiny, sleek grown up dress to the events in Denmark this weekend, if the red strapless or green frog dress shows up there.....

And Silvia, Victoria need som new baubles, to me she has three of the most Ugly tiaras in the intired Bernadotte collection. The very smal tiara she got for her 18th birthday you need a microscope to se because of the huge base and which Victoria still weares, save it for your children. The steel tiara is neither a favourite of mine and I have earlier expressed my dislike of the buttons she insist on wearing tonight...again. The amethysts does not flatter he facial shape as it does Silvia, only the spike tiara looks nice on her. Why cant she get to borrow the Conaught tiara which is I think my favourtie Swedish tiara
Old 04-01-2005, 03:26 AM
Serene Highness

Victoria's dress for the welcoming ceremony looked Christmasy with the shiny red.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

good news! The problems with Fotomarktplatz were just temporary!

Heres better and bigger versions...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	118521   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	118523   Click image for larger version

Name:	33.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	118524   Click image for larger version

Name:	44.JPG
Views:	851
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	118525  

Name:	55.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	118526  
Old 04-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Gentry

I have to agree with you Larzen, the swedish royals do seem get more and more boring when it comes to their gala dresses. But perhaps they love them so much they just want to wear them again and again and again
Old 04-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
The very smal tiara she got for her 18th birthday you need a microscope to se because of the huge base and which Victoria still weares, save it for your children.
hahahaha, so true. Yes, she should give it as toy to her children. So they can play "princess"

Thank you for posting the big pictures, Yennie
Hm, what happened to Madeleine? She looks so different. My brother, who has a faible for conspiracy theories would say, that Madeleine was exchanged Here she reminds me more of her best friend Lussan. Maybe its just because her facial features lose now the teenage look completely (?)
Talking about her dress...its a shame, that she, who attends 3-4 galas a year (NPA, representation dinner II, one state visit and with a little luck a wedding or jubilee) always wears this blue dress. It is neither extraordinary exciting, nor very flattering for her. I join Larzen: We want to see the mysterious nobel dress 2004!!! Hopefully she will attend the return dinner today and hopefully it wont be like dinner at family Svensson (unfortunately return dinners in Sweden have a tendency to be less glamourous)

5 times Victoria at the gala dinner. Hasnt Gran Persson here a cute (Christ deomcrats would say "lewd") look on his face, GrandDuchess :p
Pictures are from Fotomarktplatz

Three times her Majesty, the queen (again FMP):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	latD1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	118531   Click image for larger version

Name:	LatD2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	118532   Click image for larger version

Name:	LatD3.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	118533   Click image for larger version

Name:	LatD4.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	118534  

Name:	LatD5.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	118535   Click image for larger version

Name:	SilviaD1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	118536   Click image for larger version

Name:	SilviaD2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	118537   Click image for larger version

Name:	SilviaD3.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	118538  

Old 04-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Programme information for the State Visit today:

The President and her husband have visited Uppsala together with the King and Queen today. They were received by the Rector Magnificus of Uppsala University and the County Governor of Uppsala, Anders Bjrck, at the university. The President gave a lecture under the topic Latvia and Sweden: from neighbours to partners, and after that the University Head Librarian showed the magnificent library at the university, Carolina Rediviva.

After that, the President inaugurated a memorial plate of the Latvian author Zenta Marina in the city of Uppsala. Marina was born in Latvia in 1897, fled to Germany in 1944 and took up residence in Uppsala in 1946. She became a Swedish citizen in 1955. During her years in Uppsala, until 1969 when she moved back to Germany, she was very productive and has among her works written a biography on Dostojevskij. Maurina passed away in 1978.

During the afternoon, the City of Stockholm hosts a luncheon in the City Hall of Stockholm, after which the President and the King attends a business seminar in the Trade and Industry House in Stockholm.

Later in the afternoon there will be a visit to the Royal Library where the National Librarian Dr. Gunnar Sahlin will show the librarys collection of Latvian literature.

The President will also host a reception for Latvians residing in Sweden in the afternoon.

The last day of the State Visit will end with the Presidents Concert and Reception for the King, Queen and Princess Lilian and other Swedish guests at the Grand Htel in Stockholm.

The President and delegation leaves Stockholm on Friday night.

Pictures from Fotomarktplatz showing King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia together with Latvia's President Vaira Vike-Freiberga and her husband, Professor Imants Freibergs, as they visited Uppsala University and its library Carolina Rediviva today!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1234468245.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	118632   Click image for larger version

Name:	134357648235.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	118633   Click image for larger version

Name:	235375335.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	118634   Click image for larger version

Name:	2557862654.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	118635  

Name:	355377253134.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	118636   Click image for larger version

Name:	3557856235.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	118637   Click image for larger version

Name:	451242446.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	118638   Click image for larger version

Name:	45668973152.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	118639  

Old 04-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

in this photo the "skiing effect" (white body, tanned head :) ) is clear. But in others it doesnt show that much...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03313.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	118640  
Old 04-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Commoner

Im just saying whatever comes to mind - Madeleine looks drunk in those pictures...
Old 04-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Layevska
Im just saying whatever comes to mind - Madeleine looks drunk in those pictures...
I think that is a terrible thing to say about Madeleine. :( Anyway, thank you to everyone for posting the photos and articles about this State Visit. I really love this photo. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=118637 :)

Old 04-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Courtier

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Layevska
I think that this is a rather unnecessary and cruel comment. Madeleine is not my favourite royal but nothing has ever been written about her to imply that she abuses alcohol even occasionally.

Have you ever considered that the pictures are not the best quality or that the pictures were taken at a moment when Madeleine was caught off guard?

Perhaps saying "whatever comes to mind" isn't always the best thing. Perhaps giving some thought to your comments so that they aren't unfair or unnecessarily cruel is a better idea.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Well said, Genevieve. The amount of photos taken at such an occasion is large and they manage to capture every nanosecond. Just imagine if they were speaking or gesturing with their hands. But it is also true that it was a cruel comment. Also I must be the only person who likes the Button tiara. The "Mickey Mouse tiara" as Lena so lovingly put it. :)

"Victoria's dress for the welcoming ceremony looked Christmasy with the shiny red."

ha ha ha. Very funny. It does.

"http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...chmentid=118637 :)"

Great photo. Love the looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
Pictures from Fotomarktplatz showing King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia together with Latvia's President Vaira Vike-Freiberga and her husband, Professor Imants Freibergs, as they visited Uppsala University and its library Carolina Rediviva today!
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=118635

This is a map of Latvia and parts of Estonia and Sweden that they are looking at. Well, considering the age of the map, I would say that its a map of the Swedish Empire!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

The welcome ceremony for the President of Latvia

On 31 March, the arriving day of the State Visit from Latvia to Sweden, the usual official welcoming ceremony was held at the Inner Courtyard at the Royal Palace of Stockholm.

350 men at foot and by horse from the Life Guards grenadiers paraded in to the Courtyard in their parade uniforms (dating back to the 1800s) with bearskin hats and white plumes. Helicopters covered the air as the Life Guards Dragoon Batalion escorted the cortge with the royals and the President through Stockholm, and several hundred Life Guards covered the sides of the streets.

Representatives, for example from the Government, Defence and Diplomatic Core, awaited the cortge at the Courtyard. The welcoming ceremony continued with the national anthems, an inspection of the Honorary Guards and when the official ceremony was over, the attendants greeted the enthusiastic crowd. Afterwards the King and Queen hosted a private luncheon for the guests at the Palace.

According to tradition 4 men from the Life Guards drabant core stands guard in the Guest Apartment at the Royal Palace, and during State Visit they always wear the Karl XI uniforms on the first day.

Pictures from the Defence:
1: The grenadiers march
2: The flag guards
3: The grenadiers
4: The King with the President of Latvia
5: The King and President of Latvia before the grenadiers
6: Inspection (after the ceremony)
7: The Royal Couple and guests greet the crowd
8: The bearskin hat with plume anno 1823
9: The King with the President of Latvia
10: The drabants
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscf0031.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	124456   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0040.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	124457   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0054_s.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	124458   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0075.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	124459  

Name:	dscf0088.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	124460   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0148.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	124461   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0123.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	124462   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0014.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	124481  

Name:	dscf0130.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	124492   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0152.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	124493  
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Nobility

From the gala pictures, Madeleine is wearing some decorations that she did not usually wear in the past such as the badge hanging from the light-blue ribbon and an extra star. She is not wearing her family order with a portrait of her father in the centre.