State Visit from Jordan to Sweden: October 7-9, 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they were at the ice hotel....

I saw on the news that she held her mothers hand as well as Silvias, that was cute

I think that Salma is almost always with them when they are on state visits..must be very boring for a toddler...such long flights

http://www.hellomagazine.com

9 OCTOBER 2003
King Abdullah and Queen Rania of Jordan of Jordan received a warm welcome during their three-day visit to Sweden. Met at the airport by Prince Carl Philip and Crown Princess Victoria, they were then whisked off to the Royal Palace in Stockholm, where King Carl Gustaf and Queen Sylvia had laid on a lavish reception.

The following day Rania, accompanied by the Swedish queen, paid a visit to the Swedish Crisis Centre for Women. The facility provides refuge and assistance to women and children who are victims of domestic violence.

Rania, who is an active campaigner for children's rights, established a similar resource for disadvantaged youngsters in Amman in August 2000.

During their stay King Abdullah addressed the Swedish Institute of International Affairs. Reaffirming his country's commitment to the path of development and peace, the monarch called on all countries to act with humanity.

"We have spoken out boldly in the name of tolerance and justice," he told an audience of 200 politicians and journalists. "We have taken risks for peace in our region and around the world. And we have embarked on an extensive programme of economic, political and social reform."

The trip was not entirely taken up with affairs of state, however. Before departing Sweden the couple's young daughter Princess Salma got to make a new friend when she and her mum visited a herd of reindeer in Jukkasjaervi, a village 200 kilometres north of the Arctic Circle.

The Jordanian Queen was accompanied by Queen Sylvia on a visit the Swedish Women's Crisis Centre

Queen Sylvia and Crown Princess Victoria showed her around Stockholm's spectacular City Hall before the three lunched together

Rania introduces her daughter Princess Salma to a reindeer during a trip to the northern village of Jukkasjaervi, 200 kilometres north of the Artic Circle

Despite meeting a beast never encountered in her Jordanian homeland, the young princess seemed more fascinated by the helicopter circling overhead than the Sami reindeer

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 295
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 288
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 370
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 301
Last edited by a moderator:
Yennie 
Posted: Oct 9th, 2003 - 2:54 pm

....What did the royals do in Jukkasjärvi?
How come the royals are limited to

cutting ribbons?
and turning the first spade for a new tree?

I agree it´s sweet that they take Salma with them, but what about the other two?
And about Victoria´s dress: I think it could have been a nice dress if had been a little bit different and if it had been a different person. It just didn´t suit Victoria...

Ah...how many dinners were there? Madeleine attended one, I think...and the other one?

I think the reason why prince Hussein and princess Iman wasnt with their parents in Sweden is that they are older and don´t "need" their parents as much as Salma does

btw, you cant direct link pictures from IBL. You must attach them

Hussein is nine and Iman seven, so they probably went to school.

Salma is so cute! Why didn't they take Iman or Hussein with them? Hmm...why is she blonde? Her parents aren't blonde...very odd for a Jordanian, isn't it? Then again, her father has blue eyes...very odd. She'll be as pretty as her mom. :flower:

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 301
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 269
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 302
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 291
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 293
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 289
you know that Queen Rania very young Queen woman! i cant image!

Sara Boyce

There may be a reason for Victoria's gown being very covered up. Queen Silvia was very covered up as was Pss Lilian. Perhaps, because their guests are Muslim they thought it more appropriate and respectful. Just a thought.

"Salma is so cute! Why didn't they take Iman or Hussein with them? Hmm...why is she blonde?"

Iman and Hussein were in school. They accompany their parents on trips when their school schedules allow. Both Abdullah and Rania are very hands on parents and do not like being apart from their children. As for being blonde...Iman is much more blonde than Salma is. Blonde is a very normal color for children. Their hair tends to darken as they get older. I went from dark black to white blonde to dishwater blonde to brown. Neither of my parents nor anyone in my family have blonde hair. Plus the blonde gene is recessive. If both parents had the gene and passed it on to the child, the child will have blonde hair (of some shade). Muna, Abdullah's mother, has blonde hair.

Blonde isn't that normal of a colour for Asian children- exception Russia, Uzbekhistan, etc. I'm surprised that Jordanian children have blonde hair. It's a big contrast from their darker skin and dark eyes.

"Blonde isn't that normal of a colour for Asian children"

Jordan isn't an Asian country. It is in a region called the Near East but is in no way an Asian country. I know that most people talk about its Oriental heritage but that is not the same oriental definition that is used to refer to Asia. Jordan is an Arab country.

Originally posted by moosey60@Oct 12th, 2003 - 6:47 pm
Blonde isn't that normal of a colour for Asian children- exception Russia, Uzbekhistan, etc. I'm surprised that Jordanian children have blonde hair. It's a big contrast from their darker skin and dark eyes.
Pegassuss is right. Jordan is very different than "Asian" countries. I was surprised when I was in the Middle East and saw a lot of blond people that looked European to me. A lot of Arabs have fair skin and light hair and eyes, but the stereotype is the dark hair...eyes...so don't always beleive the stereotype.

Kurds have a blonde streak, and they aren't just in Turkey and Iraq, they are simply more populous there. Also the Circasians are from the caspian region, and they have a strong presence in Jordan.

You also have to realize that the Levant was been the center of Mediterrainian culture for all but the last 200 of the past 3000 years. I'm sure a few Roman garrisons in Jerusalem might have sowed a few wild oats. :)

you know that Queen Rania's daughter was born its was blonde! because its was happened! if born they got happened Queen Rania will like Blonde! that fair and game!

Sara Boyce

Josefine,
what did that swedish article say about Ali and Victoria? Can you translate it? Thanx

Rania's children are blonde because their grandmother Princess Muna is English. Their aunt, Princess Aisha (KA's sister) is VERY blonde. It runs in the family. Also, there are a lot of very fair Arabs, there are some tribes in Saudi Arabia with blonde hair and blue eyes, although that is very rare.

Originally posted by sanka@Oct 17th, 2003 - 7:39 pm
Josefine,
what did that swedish article say about Ali and Victoria? Can you translate it? Thanx
They say that Ali took a photo of Victoria with his mobile phone
Now a days Some mobile phones has cameras in them and you can make so that one someone calls the picture of that person shoes up, I have a mobile like that, so when people calls their pictures show up

So Ali got Victorias number.... :heart:

Okay. Several things.

Rania is beautiful. Gorgeous. However, she looked too thin in a few photos. Liked her return dinner dress though.

Victoria's second dress stunk. Didn't really care for the first one either. I know some people complained about Madeleine dressing too matronly sometimes. I worry about Victoria. Yeah, Muslim visitors or not, you can cover up without dressing matronly.

Found it interesting that Rania wore a pants suit while the Queen wore a skirt.. I was going to make a joke about her not being used to the cold weather but in the reindeer photos, the Queen looks bundled up as well.

No photos of Madeleine at the return dinner?

"Ali looks a bit smitten"

Can't blame him. Also I bet Salma, despite the photo, got a kick out of seeing a reindeer up close. Don't see many of those in Jordan.

"http://www.lestribunesroyales.com/forums/uploads/post-23-1065727504.jpg"

Oops. Missed this one. And as usualy Josefine is right in her description of the scene.

Dennism  Posted: Oct 27th, 2003 - 4:14 am

Okay. Several things.

Rania is beautiful. Gorgeous. However, she looked too thin in a few photos. Liked her return dinner dress though.

Agree.

Victoria's second dress stunk. Didn't really care for the first one either.

Some agreement.

Found it interesting that Rania wore a pants suit while the Queen wore a skirt..

I don't think I have ever seen a picture of Sylvia in a pants suit on a formal occasion.

"Ali looks a bit smitten"

Can't blame him.

Ali looked like he was way out of his depth. Pardon me, it looked to me like the civilized world standing beside the uncivilized world, and each part knew it !!!!

I hope as Ali matures, that he becomes more worldly ... and er, more sophisticated

"Sylvia in a pants suit on a formal occasion"

Where they were counts as a formal occasion? Anyway, you're right. I haven't seen her in pant suits that much.

two royal families

Attachments

• sweden.jpg
    sweden.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 289
These are 2 pictures i found of the queen that i hadn't seen during their visit to Sweden.

Rania looks so funny in this over grown coat. :))

Attachments

• 03100918.jpg
    03100918.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 383
In Sweden dress by Carolina Herrera

Attachments

• kung.jpg
    kung.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 312
In Sweden

Attachments

• kungar_bexus_liten.jpg