State Visit from Greece to Sweden: May 20-22, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
From 20 to 22 May 2008 the President of Greece will pay a state visit to Sweden. Information and links to pictures of that visit can be posted in this thread.

The state banquet at Stockholm Palace on Tuesday night will be attended by the King, Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Christina.
Princess Madeleine will be in New York at that time, for a three day World Childhood Foundation working visit.

State-Visit from Greece to Sweden

Crown Princess Victoria during the arrival ceremony for the President of Greece Karolos Papoulias and his wife Maria Panou at the Arlanda Airport in Stockholm

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see Victoria wearing this hat again! :flowers:

Queen Silvia's hat, on the other hand, looks really weird!

Gallery by PPE:
PPE Agency

I love Victoria's hat and outfit she looks stunning!

Does anyone know where we can find a program of the visit? I tried the Swedish royal court and Greek president websites to no avail.

Does the wife of the president not attend the state visit?
I ask because she isn't on this photo:

ANP Beeldbank

I think the outfit of the queen is strange!:ermm:
Victoria looks lovely in this outfit.I like her hat very much!

Victoria looks great!!!!!

i can't wait to see her dress tonight!!

The Queen and Victoria looked great for the arrival! That is one of my favorite outfits that Victoria wore.

Here are some pics from the gala:

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Nice choices for the Queen and Victoria! But nothing new! The Queen really stands out in that bright red! Great to see Carl Philip attended.

Which tiara is the Queen wearing?

I have to say that I don't think that the Queen is very generous with her jewels. It reminds me a bit of a child who doesn't want to share their toys and thus says "they're mine, I've earned them, and no one else will have them until I am gone or tired of them."

It's awfully selfish of her not to let her daughters wear any of them. It really gives a bad impression for me of her.

Last edited:
Queen Silvia is wearing the Edward VII ruby tiara, which for rather complicated reasons remained in the vaults for a long time before she started to wear it again regularly last year.
I’m afraid that your bad opinion of Queen Silvia is not backed by any facts at all, Empress.
The only European monarchy in which tiaras are constantly shared is the Dutch. This is rather unusual.
In all other Royal Houses, the grandest tiaras are traditionally reserved for the Queen or Queen Consort while the Princesses in general wear ‘lesser’ tiaras.
Queen Silvia shares her amethyst tiara and the Baden Fringe tiara with the Crown Princess.
The diamond tiara worn by Princess Madeleine is in fact personally owned by the Queen.
The sisters share the six button tiara, the Crown Princess also wears the four button tiara and her 18th birthday tiara, and Princess Madeleine the aquamarine bandeau tiara.
The Princess of Brabant has to make do with one single tiara, Crown Princess Mary with two…
Your opinion of a shortage of tiaras for the Princesses due to a supposed selfish streak of the Queen is without any foundation.

It is a personal opinion, and fortunately for me, my feelings and opinions do not need to be backed up by fact. Apart from Tiaras, she does not seem to share many other jewels. And apart from that, the Belgians do in fact share their tiaras, Princess Claire and Princess Astrid often make do with their mother/ in law's tiaras, although the Belgians do not have quite the collection that the Swedes do, and neither do the Danes.

That being said, it is still my opinion, and I am entitled to it. And I happen to think that the more you have the more you should share. hence the opinion in the first place.

Silvia is Queen Silvia and in no royal house does the ladies of the family share in all the jewelry. The most significant pieces should be exclusively for the queen to wear. Victoria will have access to all the jewelry when she is the Queen. There is hierarchy within royal families based on tradition and roles and decorum. There is no need to assume childish feeling determine who wears what.

I agree with said above, but I would still like to see Victoria wear more/bigger/shiny jewel while she still young rather then wait till shes Queen and older.

I am failing to see the point of some of this discussion. But then again I'm not totally into jewelry at this time in my life. I think Victoria has very appropriate jewelry at these types of events. I suppose I expect for the Queen to look just a little bit more elite then the crown princess. It just makes sense to me. And it's not like Victoria or Madeleine show up to events with no jewelry at all.

Victoria looks as if she's put a pound on in her face. Every photo I've seen of the arrival and Banquet, she's looking extraordinarily chubby in the face in comparison to even the Luxembourg State Visit.

I'm not much liking the way she's choosing to tilt back the Baden Fringe tiara of late. But am glade she wore a strand of pearls instead of diamonds.

Last edited:
Honestly, I believe it's the lighting and the angles in which some of the shots were taken. Notice in Lucien's post, the images of all guests were very dark. Essentially, it seems the flash on the photog's camera died or he didn't have one in the first place relying on the "house" lights. It could also be the film he used.

Victoria and all guests looked fantastic tonight so...

:)

Essentially, yes, they looked ok. Fantastic? I've seen them look better...

Victoria's bosom was certainly ample, and set off the strand of pearls very nicely! Nothing like a 'good' rack to enhance one's jewellery. In addition, I find nothing more visually flattering than the appearance of a lady's clavicle and scapulars. Mary of Denmark is another who boasts an enchanting femininity in this regard.

Dissapointing evening gown for Silvia, I thought. Though she has the loveliest hair of any royal to date. Just gorgeous, and so thick!

(I concur in regards to the possible reasons for Victoria's face seeming somewhat filled out.)

Last edited:
It is a personal opinion, and fortunately for me, my feelings and opinions do not need to be backed up by fact. Apart from Tiaras, she does not seem to share many other jewels. And apart from that, the Belgians do in fact share their tiaras, Princess Claire and Princess Astrid often make do with their mother/ in law's tiaras, although the Belgians do not have quite the collection that the Swedes do, and neither do the Danes.

That being said, it is still my opinion, and I am entitled to it. And I happen to think that the more you have the more you should share. hence the opinion in the first place.

Princess Lilian also used to wear the baden fringe tiara until Crown Princess Victoria started to wear it and in the 80's also the Nine Prnge tiara. She also wore the big emerald necklace in the past. I think as time goes we will see the Crown Princess use more of the bigger tiaras like the Connaught tiara and the Nine Prionge tiara.

Wonder when Princess Claire and Prrincess Astrid used jewels from Queen Paola. Can't remember any occasion. Astrid usualyy wears the jewels of her mother-in-law Archduchess Margherita. And if the belgian share their jewels as you say why does Mathilde not borrow sometimes the bandeau-tiara from Paola if Paola is either not present or uses the big empire diamond tiara?

Queen Silvia is wearing the Edward VII ruby tiara, which for rather complicated reasons remained in the vaults for a long time before she started to wear it again regularly last year.
I’m afraid that your bad opinion of Queen Silvia is not backed by any facts at all, Empress.
The only European monarchy in which tiaras are constantly shared is the Dutch. This is rather unusual.
In all other Royal Houses, the grandest tiaras are traditionally reserved for the Queen or Queen Consort while the Princesses in general wear ‘lesser’ tiaras.
Your opinion of a shortage of tiaras for the Princesses due to a supposed selfish streak of the Queen is without any foundation.
This is not almost true; the grandest tiaras are also reserved for the Queen; think of her wedding tiara, nobody is wearing this one and also of the blue one (don't no the name) she is wearing it on outgoing statevisits (last time in Belgium and Letland). Nobody of her sisters or het daughthers in law is seen with one of these.

This is not almost true; the grandest tiaras are also reserved for the Queen; think of her wedding tiara, nobody is wearing this one and also of the blue one (don't no the name) she is wearing it on outgoing statevisits (last time in Belgium and Letland). Nobody of her sisters or het daughthers in law is seen with one of these.

But this is also the case in other Houses where thy share rheir jewels. The biggest and most important tiaras and jewels are usually reserved for the Queen/First Lady. In Spain the fleur-de-lys, the diamond and pearl tiara (from Victoria Eugenie) and i think in the future also the other diamond and pearl tiara who belonged to the Countess of Barcelona) are only worn by the Queen. In Norway the Desiree-tiara, the emerald-parure and the paerl-tiara from Queen Maud (in full setting) are only worn by the Queen or First Lady. And in the Netherlands the big tiaras, like Staurt Tiara, sapphire-tiara and the Württemberg diamond and pearl tiara are also mostly reserved for the Queen. it was a big srurprise when Máxima used the Ruby tiara in 2006.

As Stefan pointed out above, the Queen does share some tiaras with Princess Lilian, and also with Princess Christina. Christina often borrow the Connaught tiara although she has one of her own. (Which I think is great, considering it was worn so often by her mother, and was Christina's wedding tiara). The other sisters of the King have also worn jewellery from the collection since the King's marriage.

That's why I find it strange that Victoria, who after all is the Crown Princess, doesn't get to wear any of the more important pieces. The Queen could still keep the Braganza, Leuchtenberg, Cameo and Ruby tiaras to herself and share the others with her daughters. If she can lend them to her in-laws, why not her own children?

This question annoys me, but you mustn't think I have it in for Queen Silvia. I really like the Queen. She is a beautiful woman with a truly good sense of style. I really like the red dress she wore last night, and it shows what timeless design is, since she first wore this in 1991!! This kind of recycling I like!

Which tiara is the Queen wearing?

I have to say that I don't think that the Queen is very generous with her jewels. It reminds me a bit of a child who doesn't want to share their toys and thus says "they're mine, I've earned them, and no one else will have them until I am gone or tired of them."

It's awfully selfish of her not to let her daughters wear any of them. It really gives a bad impression for me of her.
In Sweden the crown Jewels are part of a fund which the Queen is in charge of. QSilvia, unlike QBeatrix-who is very generous to her sisters and daughters in law, has the first choice and seems to preside over the jewelery box. I wonder what will happen if Victoria comes to the throne, whilst her mother is still alive, and she as reigning monarch will have the right to take what she wants :whistling:. Mind you, it can happen in a long time as the previous Swedish kings lived till a ripe old age...

Silvia is Queen Silvia and in no royal house does the ladies of the family share in all the jewelry. The most significant pieces should be exclusively for the queen to wear. Victoria will have access to all the jewelry when she is the Queen. There is hierarchy within royal families based on tradition and roles and decorum. {personal comment deleted - Elspeth}
I must mention here, that I saw a website about the Swedish royal Jewels and in the past the jewels were shared more elaborately. The King's own mother,(then he was the Crown prince) wore some of the bigger peices of the collection and the other princesses. The difference between now and then is that then, most brides were royal born and came with their own jewellery box, and actually contributed to the variety seen at events:clap:

I must mention here, that I saw a website about the Swedish royal Jewels and in the past the jewels were shared more elaborately. The King's own mother,(then he was the Crown prince) wore some of the bigger peices of the collection and the other princesses. The difference between now and then is that then, most brides were royal born and came with their own jewellery box, and actually contributed to the variety seen at events:clap:

That is because the tiaras have earlier belonged to the Ladies itself and where not part of the Bernadotte Foundation. For example Princess Sbylla had the Connaught tiara as this one was inherited by her husband after the daeath of his mother and got the Cameo Parure from Prince Eugen (not sure either as Wedding gift, ro she inherited it from him). So Queen Louise didNt wear this 2 pieces as the belonged not to her.

Princess Lilian also used to wear the baden fringe tiara until Crown Princess Victoria started to wear it and in the 80's also the Nine Prnge tiara. She also wore the big emerald necklace in the past. I think as time goes we will see the Crown Princess use more of the bigger tiaras like the Connaught tiara and the Nine Prionge tiara.

Wonder when Princess Claire and Prrincess Astrid used jewels from Queen Paola. Can't remember any occasion. Astrid usualyy wears the jewels of her mother-in-law Archduchess Margherita. And if the belgian share their jewels as you say why does Mathilde not borrow sometimes the bandeau-tiara from Paola if Paola is either not present or uses the big empire diamond tiara?

HI Stefan,

I am quite certain that Princess Claire and Princess Astrid have worn Tiaras of Paola, and I will make sure that I go and look up the photos and send them to you via PM so as not to further take this topic off course.

On another note, I am not saying that the grandest Tiaras should not be reserved for the queen. In fact, I quite agree. What I am saying is that since there is such a wealth of tiaras in the Swedish family, they could reserve the grandest for the queen, and yet still allow some of the "lesser tiaras" come out of the vault and be worn by at the very least Victoria.

Last edited:
Much ado about nothing, really.
The implication of Queen Silvia clinging to 'her' jewels is far-fetched IMO. Also, King Carl Gustaf would be rather surprised to hear that the Queen is 'in charge' of the Bernadotte Foundation, because it's not correct.
As of now, Crown Princess Victoria can choose freely between SIX tiaras, no less. Her 18th birthday tiara, the Baden Fringe tiara and the Four buttons tiara have been worn exclusively by Victoria for years, with the Baden fringe being obviously and simply her favorite.
Plus, judging by Victoria's use of jewelry both in private and at daytime engagements, her personal taste in jewelry runs towards simpler pieces anyway.
I'd be very much interested in pics of Belgian Princesses sharing the Queen's tiaras as well. This would be totally new to me.
IMHO, the Bernadottes do have the best of both worlds - designating some tiaras to be worn individually, while others are shared.

To stay on topic, the Queen's red Jorgen Bender dress was worn by her two times - for Queen Margrethe's 50th birthday in 1990 and for the Nobel ceremony in 1991. So while it's definitely old and therefore a somewhat odd choice, it was never heavily recycled... and Queen Silvia still manages to look good in it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom