The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

State Visit from Greece to Sweden: May 20-22, 2008

From 20 to 22 May 2008 the President of Greece will pay a state visit to Sweden. Information and links to pictures of that visit can be posted in this thread.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

The state banquet at Stockholm Palace on Tuesday night will be attended by the King, Queen Silvia, Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Christina.
Princess Madeleine will be in New York at that time, for a three day World Childhood Foundation working visit.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Gentry

State-Visit from Greece to Sweden

Crown Princess Victoria during the arrival ceremony for the President of Greece Karolos Papoulias and his wife Maria Panou at the Arlanda Airport in Stockholm

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Good to see Victoria wearing this hat again!

Queen Silvia's hat, on the other hand, looks really weird!

Gallery by PPE:
PPE Agency

Old 05-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Courtier

I love Victoria's hat and outfit she looks stunning!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Nobility

Does anyone know where we can find a program of the visit? I tried the Swedish royal court and Greek president websites to no avail.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Aristocracy

Does the wife of the president not attend the state visit?
I ask because she isn't on this photo:

ANP Beeldbank

I think the outfit of the queen is strange!
Victoria looks lovely in this outfit.I like her hat very much!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

More photos:
Photoshot
Old 05-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness

Victoria looks great!!!!!

i can't wait to see her dress tonight!!

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 05-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Serene Highness

The Queen and Victoria looked great for the arrival! That is one of my favorite outfits that Victoria wore.

Here are some pics from the gala:

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Nice choices for the Queen and Victoria! But nothing new! The Queen really stands out in that bright red! Great to see Carl Philip attended.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Majesty

Royal Palace,Stockholm:
PPE Agency

Courtesy PPE/Nieboer
Old 05-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Which tiara is the Queen wearing?

I have to say that I don't think that the Queen is very generous with her jewels. It reminds me a bit of a child who doesn't want to share their toys and thus says "they're mine, I've earned them, and no one else will have them until I am gone or tired of them."

It's awfully selfish of her not to let her daughters wear any of them. It really gives a bad impression for me of her.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Silvia is wearing the Edward VII ruby tiara, which for rather complicated reasons remained in the vaults for a long time before she started to wear it again regularly last year.
I’m afraid that your bad opinion of Queen Silvia is not backed by any facts at all, Empress.
The only European monarchy in which tiaras are constantly shared is the Dutch. This is rather unusual.
In all other Royal Houses, the grandest tiaras are traditionally reserved for the Queen or Queen Consort while the Princesses in general wear ‘lesser’ tiaras.
Queen Silvia shares her amethyst tiara and the Baden Fringe tiara with the Crown Princess.
The diamond tiara worn by Princess Madeleine is in fact personally owned by the Queen.
The sisters share the six button tiara, the Crown Princess also wears the four button tiara and her 18th birthday tiara, and Princess Madeleine the aquamarine bandeau tiara.
The Princess of Brabant has to make do with one single tiara, Crown Princess Mary with two…
Your opinion of a shortage of tiaras for the Princesses due to a supposed selfish streak of the Queen is without any foundation.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

It is a personal opinion, and fortunately for me, my feelings and opinions do not need to be backed up by fact. Apart from Tiaras, she does not seem to share many other jewels. And apart from that, the Belgians do in fact share their tiaras, Princess Claire and Princess Astrid often make do with their mother/ in law's tiaras, although the Belgians do not have quite the collection that the Swedes do, and neither do the Danes.

That being said, it is still my opinion, and I am entitled to it. And I happen to think that the more you have the more you should share. hence the opinion in the first place.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Silvia is Queen Silvia and in no royal house does the ladies of the family share in all the jewelry. The most significant pieces should be exclusively for the queen to wear. Victoria will have access to all the jewelry when she is the Queen. There is hierarchy within royal families based on tradition and roles and decorum. There is no need to assume childish feeling determine who wears what.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with said above, but I would still like to see Victoria wear more/bigger/shiny jewel while she still young rather then wait till shes Queen and older.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Serene Highness

I am failing to see the point of some of this discussion. But then again I'm not totally into jewelry at this time in my life. I think Victoria has very appropriate jewelry at these types of events. I suppose I expect for the Queen to look just a little bit more elite then the crown princess. It just makes sense to me. And it's not like Victoria or Madeleine show up to events with no jewelry at all.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Victoria looks as if she's put a pound on in her face. Every photo I've seen of the arrival and Banquet, she's looking extraordinarily chubby in the face in comparison to even the Luxembourg State Visit.

I'm not much liking the way she's choosing to tilt back the Baden Fringe tiara of late. But am glade she wore a strand of pearls instead of diamonds.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Honestly, I believe it's the lighting and the angles in which some of the shots were taken. Notice in Lucien's post, the images of all guests were very dark. Essentially, it seems the flash on the photog's camera died or he didn't have one in the first place relying on the "house" lights. It could also be the film he used.

Victoria and all guests looked fantastic tonight so...

Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Essentially, yes, they looked ok. Fantastic? I've seen them look better...

Victoria's bosom was certainly ample, and set off the strand of pearls very nicely! Nothing like a 'good' rack to enhance one's jewellery. In addition, I find nothing more visually flattering than the appearance of a lady's clavicle and scapulars. Mary of Denmark is another who boasts an enchanting femininity in this regard.

Dissapointing evening gown for Silvia, I thought. Though she has the loveliest hair of any royal to date. Just gorgeous, and so thick!

(I concur in regards to the possible reasons for Victoria's face seeming somewhat filled out.)

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent

Tags
carl gustav, carl philip, crown princess victoria, greece, king carl xvi gustav, president papoulias, prince carl philip, queen silvia, silvia, state visit, princess madeleine