State Visit from Greece to Sweden: May 20-22, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what, rather than submitting to personal comments, I am more than willing to admit that it's very possible that I could be wrong about the Claire and Astrid tiara issue. It would not be the first or the last time that I am wrong, and I am sure that other people have been wrong in the past as well.

I clearly saw in my mind a few photos of Claire and Astrid, but again, it's entirely possible that I've mixed them up with other photos, and until/if I can find them, I am more than willing to concede defeat.

None the less, it still does not change my opinion that I think that Sylvia has heaps of tiaras, and I think that it would be nice if she would share them more with her daughters. It's an opinion, it's not based on any fact, apart from the fact that the daughters don't seem to wear much variety. It's not invented, unless all opinions are invented, and it is what it is. It's also not the first time that such an opinion has been expressed on this forum.

So my apologies to anyone whose sensitivities have been offended by my post, but it is my opinion, and I would appreciate it if my opinions were given the respect that I give others opinions.

Well, I have the impression she recycled it even more often than Queen Sonja did her salmon or canary dresses by now. The color looks good on her though.

Does any poster have informatin on her necklace? I do not remember it from the Bernadotte collection so I suppose it is her own?

You know what, rather than submitting to personal comments, I am more than willing to admit that it's very possible that I could be wrong about the Claire and Astrid tiara issue. It would not be the first or the last time that I am wrong, and I am sure that other people have been wrong in the past as well.

I clearly saw in my mind a few photos of Claire and Astrid, but again, it's entirely possible that I've mixed them up with other photos, and until/if I can find them, I am more than willing to concede defeat.

None the less, it still does not change my opinion that I think that Sylvia has heaps of tiaras, and I think that it would be nice if she would share them more with her daughters. It's an opinion, it's not based on any fact, apart from the fact that the daughters don't seem to wear much variety. It's not invented, unless all opinions are invented, and it is what it is. It's also not the first time that such an opinion has been expressed on this forum.

So my apologies to anyone whose sensitivities have been offended by my post, but it is my opinion, and I would appreciate it if my opinions were given the respect that I give others opinions.

You are very gracious in your apology --- as I get older I sometimes think that maybe my mind is playing tricks on me ... you know I thought something was one way and it turned out to be another. Oh well!

In my own opinion, I think that Silvia's red dress is stunning on her - a real classic. She looks so good in red. And her hairdo is fabulous. Silvia is one queen who knows how to wear a tiara and she makes a real effort with her hairdos which must take a long time for her hairdresser to create.
Her second day outfit was lovely.

Victoria is hitting her stride in her clothes. She has her daytime "official" outfits which look great.
Her evening dresses and jewels are wonderful. She sometimes imitates her mother's fabulous evening hairdos to great effect.
She favors a classic style and it suits her very well. She's is not all "frou frou" or trendy like some Princesses --- she is not trying to set a trend or shout out "look at me!" in her choice of clothing. She just keeps chugging along in her own style and looks wonderful.

Marengo, as I pointed out earlier, Queen Silvia's dress by the late Jorgen Bender is on one hand indeed from 1990, but on the other hand, she has only worn it twice: For Queen Margrethe's 50th birthday and for the Nobel ceremony in 1991. Therefore this is only the third time it's actually being worn - not so heavily recycled!
Queen Sonja's (in)famous salmon & canary dresses have certainly seen a lot more nights out... and this red Bender design is indeed timeless.
As for Queen Silvia's necklace, it's the short one out of three diamond collet necklaces of large stones in the Bernadotte collection. Queen Silvia wears it frequently.

Last edited:
victoria looks lovely tonight in her cocktail dress really nice lace top

Marengo, as I pointed out earlier, Queen Silvia's dress by the late Jorgen Bender is on one hand indeed from 1990, but on the other hand, she has only worn it twice: For Queen Margrethe's 50th birthday and for the Nobel ceremony in 1991. Therefore this is only the third time it's actually being worn - not so heavily recycled!
Queen Sonja's (in)famous salmon & canary dresses have certainly seen a lot more nights out... and this red Bender design is indeed timeless.
As for Queen Silvia's necklace, it's the short one out of three diamond collet necklaces of large stones in the Bernadotte collection. Queen Silvia wears it frequently.

I was referring to the dress of Princes Christina, Mrs. Magnusson. I thought I had quoted LadyFinn's last two pictures (directly above my post) and additional question: 'How many times has mrs Magnuson had this dress?', but I did not so I can see the confusion, my apologies.

So the necklace I was wondering about is the one of Princess Christina, since I do not recall having seen that one before. Queen Silvia's necklace(s) were familiar to me, though I was unaware of the history behind them, so thank you for providing that information.

For those interested in Queen Silvia's jewels, take a look in this thread by the way. Sadly we do not have a thread for the jewels of Princess Christina or the other sisters of the King, so if anybody is interested feel free to start such a thread.

---

HM the Queen looks especially nice at the gala of the Greek president of yesterday evening, lovely dress.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have no idea about Princess Christina’s necklace, Marengo… and you're correct, her turquoise dress has been recycled to death by now!
By the way: The return dinner at Waldemarsudde was also held as the opening of the exhibition of rare Greek 17th to 19th century jewelry, lent by an Athens museum, which will be shown until June 15th.
I agree that Queen Silvia looked most elegant last night. I'm also glad to see that she put her hair up again, IMO she wears it open rather too frequently these days.

Her Majesty looked absolutely smashing at the return dinner. I love her hair style.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about Princess Christina’s necklace, Marengo… and you're correct, her turquoise dress has been recycled to death by now!
By the way: The return dinner at Waldemarsudde was also held as the opening of the exhibition of rare Greek 17th to 19th century jewelry, lent by an Athens museum, which will be shown until June 15th.
I agree that Queen Silvia looked most elegant last night. I'm also glad to see that she put her hair up again, IMO she wears it open rather too frequently these days.

Would Waldemarsudde be the Palace of Prince Eugen? The name rings a bell (I hope the right one).

I agree, the Queens hair looks better up, though with her hair she can basicaly pull of anything, it has always been (and still is) beautiful IMO.

Last edited:
Yes, Waldemarsudde was the home of Prince Eugen. It is a museum nowadays.
Prince Carl Philip looked really handsome in his suit, the Queen and the Crown Princess both looked wonderful, I'm still amazed about Victoria's style! She is constantly improving and seems so happy and confident in herself and what she's wearing.
Great!

victoria looks fantastic with her cocktail dress! she looks thinner than before!

Back
Top Bottom