The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-21-2008, 02:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
It is a personal opinion, and fortunately for me, my feelings and opinions do not need to be backed up by fact. Apart from Tiaras, she does not seem to share many other jewels. And apart from that, the Belgians do in fact share their tiaras, Princess Claire and Princess Astrid often make do with their mother/ in law's tiaras, although the Belgians do not have quite the collection that the Swedes do, and neither do the Danes.

That being said, it is still my opinion, and I am entitled to it. And I happen to think that the more you have the more you should share. hence the opinion in the first place.
Princess Lilian also used to wear the baden fringe tiara until Crown Princess Victoria started to wear it and in the 80's also the Nine Prnge tiara. She also wore the big emerald necklace in the past. I think as time goes we will see the Crown Princess use more of the bigger tiaras like the Connaught tiara and the Nine Prionge tiara.

Wonder when Princess Claire and Prrincess Astrid used jewels from Queen Paola. Can't remember any occasion. Astrid usualyy wears the jewels of her mother-in-law Archduchess Margherita. And if the belgian share their jewels as you say why does Mathilde not borrow sometimes the bandeau-tiara from Paola if Paola is either not present or uses the big empire diamond tiara?

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Queen Silvia is wearing the Edward VII ruby tiara, which for rather complicated reasons remained in the vaults for a long time before she started to wear it again regularly last year.
I’m afraid that your bad opinion of Queen Silvia is not backed by any facts at all, Empress.
The only European monarchy in which tiaras are constantly shared is the Dutch. This is rather unusual.
In all other Royal Houses, the grandest tiaras are traditionally reserved for the Queen or Queen Consort while the Princesses in general wear ‘lesser’ tiaras.
Your opinion of a shortage of tiaras for the Princesses due to a supposed selfish streak of the Queen is without any foundation.
This is not almost true; the grandest tiaras are also reserved for the Queen; think of her wedding tiara, nobody is wearing this one and also of the blue one (don't no the name) she is wearing it on outgoing statevisits (last time in Belgium and Letland). Nobody of her sisters or het daughthers in law is seen with one of these.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber26 View Post
This is not almost true; the grandest tiaras are also reserved for the Queen; think of her wedding tiara, nobody is wearing this one and also of the blue one (don't no the name) she is wearing it on outgoing statevisits (last time in Belgium and Letland). Nobody of her sisters or het daughthers in law is seen with one of these.
But this is also the case in other Houses where thy share rheir jewels. The biggest and most important tiaras and jewels are usually reserved for the Queen/First Lady. In Spain the fleur-de-lys, the diamond and pearl tiara (from Victoria Eugenie) and i think in the future also the other diamond and pearl tiara who belonged to the Countess of Barcelona) are only worn by the Queen. In Norway the Desiree-tiara, the emerald-parure and the paerl-tiara from Queen Maud (in full setting) are only worn by the Queen or First Lady. And in the Netherlands the big tiaras, like Staurt Tiara, sapphire-tiara and the Württemberg diamond and pearl tiara are also mostly reserved for the Queen. it was a big srurprise when Máxima used the Ruby tiara in 2006.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-21-2008, 04:06 AM
Aristocracy

As Stefan pointed out above, the Queen does share some tiaras with Princess Lilian, and also with Princess Christina. Christina often borrow the Connaught tiara although she has one of her own. (Which I think is great, considering it was worn so often by her mother, and was Christina's wedding tiara). The other sisters of the King have also worn jewellery from the collection since the King's marriage.

That's why I find it strange that Victoria, who after all is the Crown Princess, doesn't get to wear any of the more important pieces. The Queen could still keep the Braganza, Leuchtenberg, Cameo and Ruby tiaras to herself and share the others with her daughters. If she can lend them to her in-laws, why not her own children?

This question annoys me, but you mustn't think I have it in for Queen Silvia. I really like the Queen. She is a beautiful woman with a truly good sense of style. I really like the red dress she wore last night, and it shows what timeless design is, since she first wore this in 1991!! This kind of recycling I like!
Old 05-21-2008, 04:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Which tiara is the Queen wearing?

I have to say that I don't think that the Queen is very generous with her jewels. It reminds me a bit of a child who doesn't want to share their toys and thus says "they're mine, I've earned them, and no one else will have them until I am gone or tired of them."

It's awfully selfish of her not to let her daughters wear any of them. It really gives a bad impression for me of her.
In Sweden the crown Jewels are part of a fund which the Queen is in charge of. QSilvia, unlike QBeatrix-who is very generous to her sisters and daughters in law, has the first choice and seems to preside over the jewelery box. I wonder what will happen if Victoria comes to the throne, whilst her mother is still alive, and she as reigning monarch will have the right to take what she wants . Mind you, it can happen in a long time as the previous Swedish kings lived till a ripe old age...
Old 05-21-2008, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

victoria looks gorgeous. i love her dress.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Silvia is Queen Silvia and in no royal house does the ladies of the family share in all the jewelry. The most significant pieces should be exclusively for the queen to wear. Victoria will have access to all the jewelry when she is the Queen. There is hierarchy within royal families based on tradition and roles and decorum. {personal comment deleted - Elspeth}
I must mention here, that I saw a website about the Swedish royal Jewels and in the past the jewels were shared more elaborately. The King's own mother,(then he was the Crown prince) wore some of the bigger peices of the collection and the other princesses. The difference between now and then is that then, most brides were royal born and came with their own jewellery box, and actually contributed to the variety seen at events
Old 05-21-2008, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I must mention here, that I saw a website about the Swedish royal Jewels and in the past the jewels were shared more elaborately. The King's own mother,(then he was the Crown prince) wore some of the bigger peices of the collection and the other princesses. The difference between now and then is that then, most brides were royal born and came with their own jewellery box, and actually contributed to the variety seen at events
That is because the tiaras have earlier belonged to the Ladies itself and where not part of the Bernadotte Foundation. For example Princess Sbylla had the Connaught tiara as this one was inherited by her husband after the daeath of his mother and got the Cameo Parure from Prince Eugen (not sure either as Wedding gift, ro she inherited it from him). So Queen Louise didNt wear this 2 pieces as the belonged not to her.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 05-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Princess Lilian also used to wear the baden fringe tiara until Crown Princess Victoria started to wear it and in the 80's also the Nine Prnge tiara. She also wore the big emerald necklace in the past. I think as time goes we will see the Crown Princess use more of the bigger tiaras like the Connaught tiara and the Nine Prionge tiara.

Wonder when Princess Claire and Prrincess Astrid used jewels from Queen Paola. Can't remember any occasion. Astrid usualyy wears the jewels of her mother-in-law Archduchess Margherita. And if the belgian share their jewels as you say why does Mathilde not borrow sometimes the bandeau-tiara from Paola if Paola is either not present or uses the big empire diamond tiara?
HI Stefan,

I am quite certain that Princess Claire and Princess Astrid have worn Tiaras of Paola, and I will make sure that I go and look up the photos and send them to you via PM so as not to further take this topic off course.

On another note, I am not saying that the grandest Tiaras should not be reserved for the queen. In fact, I quite agree. What I am saying is that since there is such a wealth of tiaras in the Swedish family, they could reserve the grandest for the queen, and yet still allow some of the "lesser tiaras" come out of the vault and be worn by at the very least Victoria.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Much ado about nothing, really.
The implication of Queen Silvia clinging to 'her' jewels is far-fetched IMO. Also, King Carl Gustaf would be rather surprised to hear that the Queen is 'in charge' of the Bernadotte Foundation, because it's not correct.
As of now, Crown Princess Victoria can choose freely between SIX tiaras, no less. Her 18th birthday tiara, the Baden Fringe tiara and the Four buttons tiara have been worn exclusively by Victoria for years, with the Baden fringe being obviously and simply her favorite.
Plus, judging by Victoria's use of jewelry both in private and at daytime engagements, her personal taste in jewelry runs towards simpler pieces anyway.
I'd be very much interested in pics of Belgian Princesses sharing the Queen's tiaras as well. This would be totally new to me.
IMHO, the Bernadottes do have the best of both worlds - designating some tiaras to be worn individually, while others are shared.

To stay on topic, the Queen's red Jorgen Bender dress was worn by her two times - for Queen Margrethe's 50th birthday in 1990 and for the Nobel ceremony in 1991. So while it's definitely old and therefore a somewhat odd choice, it was never heavily recycled... and Queen Silvia still manages to look good in it.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent

More pics

Royalportraits
Royalportraits
Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz View Post
Crown Princess Victoria during the arrival ceremony for the President of Greece Karolos Papoulias and his wife Maria Panou at the Arlanda Airport in Stockholm

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
I love this outfit. From the fabulous hat to the wonderfully elegant court shoes. Her pearl earrings and brooch set the whole ensemble off perfectly.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

You know what, rather than submitting to personal comments, I am more than willing to admit that it's very possible that I could be wrong about the Claire and Astrid tiara issue. It would not be the first or the last time that I am wrong, and I am sure that other people have been wrong in the past as well.

I clearly saw in my mind a few photos of Claire and Astrid, but again, it's entirely possible that I've mixed them up with other photos, and until/if I can find them, I am more than willing to concede defeat.

None the less, it still does not change my opinion that I think that Sylvia has heaps of tiaras, and I think that it would be nice if she would share them more with her daughters. It's an opinion, it's not based on any fact, apart from the fact that the daughters don't seem to wear much variety. It's not invented, unless all opinions are invented, and it is what it is. It's also not the first time that such an opinion has been expressed on this forum.

So my apologies to anyone whose sensitivities have been offended by my post, but it is my opinion, and I would appreciate it if my opinions were given the respect that I give others opinions.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

More pics from the gala
Derechos Portugal: El Presidente Karolos Papoulias en el Palacio Real de Stockholm - Agencia Prisma
Old 05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Well, I have the impression she recycled it even more often than Queen Sonja did her salmon or canary dresses by now. The color looks good on her though.

Does any poster have informatin on her necklace? I do not remember it from the Bernadotte collection so I suppose it is her own?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You know what, rather than submitting to personal comments, I am more than willing to admit that it's very possible that I could be wrong about the Claire and Astrid tiara issue. It would not be the first or the last time that I am wrong, and I am sure that other people have been wrong in the past as well.

I clearly saw in my mind a few photos of Claire and Astrid, but again, it's entirely possible that I've mixed them up with other photos, and until/if I can find them, I am more than willing to concede defeat.

None the less, it still does not change my opinion that I think that Sylvia has heaps of tiaras, and I think that it would be nice if she would share them more with her daughters. It's an opinion, it's not based on any fact, apart from the fact that the daughters don't seem to wear much variety. It's not invented, unless all opinions are invented, and it is what it is. It's also not the first time that such an opinion has been expressed on this forum.

So my apologies to anyone whose sensitivities have been offended by my post, but it is my opinion, and I would appreciate it if my opinions were given the respect that I give others opinions.
You are very gracious in your apology --- as I get older I sometimes think that maybe my mind is playing tricks on me ... you know I thought something was one way and it turned out to be another. Oh well!

In my own opinion, I think that Silvia's red dress is stunning on her - a real classic. She looks so good in red. And her hairdo is fabulous. Silvia is one queen who knows how to wear a tiara and she makes a real effort with her hairdos which must take a long time for her hairdresser to create.
Her second day outfit was lovely.

Victoria is hitting her stride in her clothes. She has her daytime "official" outfits which look great.
Her evening dresses and jewels are wonderful. She sometimes imitates her mother's fabulous evening hairdos to great effect.
She favors a classic style and it suits her very well. She's is not all "frou frou" or trendy like some Princesses --- she is not trying to set a trend or shout out "look at me!" in her choice of clothing. She just keeps chugging along in her own style and looks wonderful.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Marengo, as I pointed out earlier, Queen Silvia's dress by the late Jorgen Bender is on one hand indeed from 1990, but on the other hand, she has only worn it twice: For Queen Margrethe's 50th birthday and for the Nobel ceremony in 1991. Therefore this is only the third time it's actually being worn - not so heavily recycled!
Queen Sonja's (in)famous salmon & canary dresses have certainly seen a lot more nights out... and this red Bender design is indeed timeless.
As for Queen Silvia's necklace, it's the short one out of three diamond collet necklaces of large stones in the Bernadotte collection. Queen Silvia wears it frequently.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

where was princess madeleine???

Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

President, Dr Karolos Papoulias gave Wednesday May 21, 2008 a dinner at Waldemarsudde in Stockholm, for the honour of the Swedish royal family.
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 05-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
where was princess madeleine???
I think Princess Madeleine is in New York! She has to do something for the World Childhood Foundation there!

Tags
carl gustav, carl philip, crown princess victoria, greece, king carl xvi gustav, president papoulias, prince carl philip, queen silvia, silvia, state visit, princess madeleine