State Visit from Botswana to Sweden: March 21-24, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrandDuchess

Heir Apparent
City
Somwhere
Country
Sweden
This thread is reserved for news and pictures concerning the incoming State Visit from His Excellency The President of Botswana to Sweden on the invitation of His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. The State Visit will take place during the period from 21-24 of March 2006.

Please remember to observe the TRF Rules & Guidelines while posting.

I hear the royal couple will stay with the guests in Stockholm, Uppsala and Södertälje. Is that right?
When do the guests arrived Sweden. Will the crown princess welcome the President at airport?

Do you know the official program of the three days state visit?

Wow, this is almost a total family line up. Even Lilian, 90, is there :)

Thanks for the picture purple_platinum. With what I could make out is Queen Siliva wearing a fur or velvet hat? :eek: I think Mary's been rubbing off people. It's lovely to see Lilian; she is such a beautiful woman.

Silvia's hat is most likely fur. I just returned from Sweden and many, many women (and men too) of all ages wear fur hats, coats, jackets and clothes with fur collars and trim.

President of Botswana Festus G. Mogae (3L) and his wife Barbara (L) pose for photographers with the Swedish royal couple King Carl XVI Gustaf (2L) and Queen Silvia (R) at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, 21 March, 2006. Mogae is on a three-day state visit in Sweden.

from ANP (AFP PHOTO / SCANPIX SWEDEN / CLAUDIO BRESCIANI)

Attachments

• 2546721.jpg
    2546721.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 369
  • 2546961.jpg
    2546961.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 413
Thanks for all the pictures! It's nice to see Princess Lilian out! Crown Princess Victoria looks great, very stylish hats and boots.:)

Silvia and Victoria looks very nice and another style !!!!

Vicky looks great, maybe little round on her face but great.

The Queen and Princess Lilian look great! I love the Queen's necklace and brooch, it looks very sophisticated! Nice to see Crown Princess Victoria in a new and somewhat different style, it's very refreshing and nice!

Here are a few more pictures from day 1 (21 March) today, from Pontus Lundahl, Scanpix and EPA via Dagens Nyheter.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 498
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 490
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 401
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 381
I absolutely love Victorias style today - especially the hat and boots - nice to see her trying something new and she really pulls it off great! Silvia is nice but a little to black for my taste, and the fur hat is not that flattering. Can´t wait to see the gala dresses and jewels, let´s hope for atleast something new... :)

Is there no pic out from the Gala dinner held tonight? I have seen one just now on the royalcourt.se but that´s only the king and queen with the presidetial couple, no pics of Victoria :( . The queen wears an all black dress with the nine-prong tiara - seems to look quite good (even though i can´t zoom the pic)

I see now that the king & queen is wearing the Swedish order of the seraphim and not at usual the order of the visiting country, and the president and his wife wears no orders, does anyone know the reason for this? It must be unusual, they usually "switch" orders with eachother as one of the first things they do at a statevisit - or don´t Botswana have any orders?

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria wears the strapless Natan dress she wore for Maximas prewedding dinner for the umptieth time, the baden tiara and a three string pearl necklace with a diamond clasp, Lilian in lime green and her laurel wreath tiara. This birthday of Carl Gustav must be expensive since Silvia has not gotten a new dress since May 2004:p

Here is a tiny preview (Charles Hammarsten)
0603210395fh.jpg
0603210281ie.jpg

Last edited:
The Kings 60th birthday party better impress us. They have gotten skimpy and need to treat us to some new gowns and a spectatcular event.

I wonder if QS is wearing black out of respect for her recently deceased brother? Victoria, too, is dressed fairly somberly. On another note -- I always enjoy seeing the Swedish carriages -- they are so elegant!

I think this picture is particularly sweet: the Queen holding onto Lilian's hand. It's obvious that they have a very close relationship and that the Queen looks out and protects Lilian.

I am not so convinced of Victoria's look. I don't really care for the hat and in comparison to her mother, who looks so extremely refined and elegant, Victoria looks a bit in a disarray with the knee-high boots, the unbuttoned jacket (though that kind of jacket doesn't really button) and the oddly-perched hat.

Yea I am not a fan of Victorias look either. I think Silvia is wearing dark colors because she is still in morning for her brother. I have always noticed a closeness between Silvia and Lilian.

Princejohnny25 said:
Yea I am not a fan of Victorias look either. I think Silvia is wearing dark colors because she is still in morning for her brother. I have always noticed a closeness between Silvia and Lilian.

1. Lilian became more or less a mother figure for both Silvia and Carl Gustav and I'm sure the trio think of her as a grandmother so she's big in the family!
2. I'm not that crazy about Victoria's look with boots and hat but I think she looked smashing on the gala dinner:rolleyes:

His Majesty the King's speech at the gala dinner (from the website of the Royal Court)

Mr President, Mrs Mogae,
Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen

It is a great pleasure to welcome you, and your delegation to the Royal Palace in Stockholm and to Sweden, on the very first State Visit from the Republic of Botswana, a country with which we have warm and friendly relations.

The Queen and I have special and fond memories of Botswana. Thirty years ago we spent parts of our honey moon in your beautiful country. The experience of visiting Botswana and its unspoilt nature and spectacular wildlife, under such special circumstances, have been a source of joy and inspiration ever since. Chobe National Park made a particularly deep impression. Despite the chilly season and different aim of your visit, I hope that you will feel as welcome in Sweden this time as we did in Botswana thirty years ago. We have done our best in planning your programme here and are opening our doors with warmth and Swedish generosity at the Royal Palace and elsewhere.

Botswana and Sweden have a long and close partnership in many areas. We share a number of basic values, such as peace and security for everyone, good governance and the rule of law, the need to strengthen the democratic processes and the respect for human rights, the care for the environment and the sustainable use of natural resources.

Your country is duly praised, not just in Africa, but throughout the world for its progress in development, economic growth and stability. Botswana has made valuable contributions to world peace, especially in some of the conflict areas on the African continent. Your country also plays an active role in international organizations, for example in IDEA, which is working to support sustainable democracy worldwide, and which is a participant in the seminar in the Parliament House where you will speak.

Mr President, you and other African leaders, have a major leadership role, promoting peace and development, across the African continent. The New Partnership for Africa's Development is an excellent example of Africa´s determination to take the responsibility for Africa by itself, as well as for the global community as a whole. The Swedish Government welcomes and supports the African Union's efforts to strengthen its conflict prevention and management capacities. Sub-regional organizations such as The Southern African Development Community and The Economic Community of West African States have an important role to play in implementing the NEPAD vision.

Regional co-operation is fundamental in contributing to political stability and economic development. Sweden supports Botswana's endeavours in this regard. SADC, which Botswana currently is chairing, plays a vital role in many areas such as trade, conflict prevention, poverty eradication and the fight against HIV/AIDS. Guiding SADC, in advancing the regional agenda, is a challenge. Sweden will remain an active partner in promoting these efforts.

Over the years, our two countries have worked together in a wide range of activities, from resistance to the apartheid system in South Africa to economic and technical development cooperation in Botswana and the region. This has resulted in numerous lasting contacts between the people of Botswana and Sweden. Even so, there is a wide range of further opportunities for enhancing our contacts at many levels - between our governments, our institutions and, not least, between our private sectors.

Mr President, inspired by your personal leadership Sweden will continue to work together with your Government on prevention, treatment and care in fighting HIV/AIDS. We sincerely hope that Sweden´s new contributions to the fight against HIV/AIDS, which is channelled through the UN system as well as bilateral channels, will make a difference for the vital process of coming to grips with this terrible decease with its devastating impact on families and societies worldwide.

Our countries are also partners in other areas of development cooperation. The Swedish Radio and TV are working together with their counterparts in Botswana in an important capacity-building project for independent public service broadcasting.

Mr President, during your stay in Sweden you will have the opportunity to get to know the work of some Swedish companies active in areas of interest to you. We hope that the opportunities that exist for a greater exchange of trade and investment between our countries will be highlighted and reinforced during this State Visit. The creation of a common market for the fourteen member states of SADC, and Botswana´s central position in such a market, could pave the way for your country to become an important commercial hub in the region.

I sincerely hope that you will all have a most memorable stay in our country. Although I know that you have had many contacts with Sweden and Swedes in the past, I am sure you will discover new facets at the same time as you recognise the hospitality and friendship that have existed between our two countries for a long time.

I am confident that your State Visit to Sweden will contribute to the further development of our relations as well as to sending a message of hope for the future. The encouraging story of Botswana´s democratic and economic progress, as well as its future potential, deserves to be told not only in Sweden, but all over the world.

Mr President, to you and your family, to your country and its people as well as to the friendship between Botswana and Sweden I now suggest we all join in a toast.

Skål! Thank you.

Alexandria said:
I am not so convinced of Victoria's look. I don't really care for the hat and in comparison to her mother, who looks so extremely refined and elegant, Victoria looks a bit in a disarray with the knee-high boots, the unbuttoned jacket (though that kind of jacket doesn't really button) and the oddly-perched hat.
I don't love this style either, and it's not one of her better styles, but right now I feel everything which doesn't include a ponytail and only black simple clothes is great on Victoria :D Meeting one of those criterias, I do feel that her style yesterday was rather refreshing and nice.

Last edited:
Many thanks to all for posting the lovely pictures from the first day of state visit from Botswana.

The queen and crown princess wear dark colours because the short death of queens brother. But they look beautiful and royal in her dresses.

What did visit the king and queen with the guests yesterday afternoon?

Larzen said:
Victoria wears the strapless Natan dress she wore for Maximas prewedding dinner for the umptieth time, the baden tiara and a three string pearl necklace with a diamond clasp, Lilian in lime green and her laurel wreath tiara. This birthday of Carl Gustav must be expensive since Silvia has not gotten a new dress since May 2004:p

Here is a tiny preview (Charles Hammarsten)
0603210395fh.jpg
0603210281ie.jpg

Was that realy wat she wore, or is it what you expect she wore?? and are there more pictures??

Last edited:
Crown Princess Victoria welcome the President of Botswana, Festus G. Mogae and his wife Barbara at the airport
(from Goff photos)

Attachments

• v5.jpg
    v5.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 426
  • v7.jpg
    v7.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 273
  • v6.jpg
    v6.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 388
  • v4.jpg
    v4.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 374
  • v3.jpg
    v3.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 317
  • v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 284
  • v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 276
Here are two pictures from the gala dinner last night, both are by Jonas Ekströmer via Svenska Dagbladet.

Attachments

• SvD1.jpg
    SvD1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 412
  • SvD2.jpg
    SvD2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 402
I like Queen Silvia's gala outfit.

King Carl XVI Gustaf , Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria hosted the President of Botswana , Mr. Festus G. Mogae and Mrs. Barbara Mogae for a banquet at the Royal Castle in Stockholm , Sweden , on March 21 , 2006.

from DPA, photo by Toni Sica/Stella Pictures

Attachments

• 059601_4.jpg
    059601_4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 383
  • 060801_4.jpg
    060801_4.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 355
  • 061201_4.jpg
    061201_4.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 552
  • 061301_4.jpg
    061301_4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 061701_4.jpg
    061701_4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 062001_4.jpg
    062001_4.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 415
Crown Princess Victoria attends the arrival of His Excellency Festus G. Mogae , President of the Republic of Botswana , and his wife Barbara G. Mogae for an official state visit to Sweden invited by the King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden , in Stockholm , Sweden , on March 21 , 2006.

From DPA, Photo by Toni Sica Stella Pictures

Attachments

• 133101_4.jpg
    133101_4.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 256
Back
Top Bottom