The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-22-2006, 02:11 AM
Heir Apparent

His Majesty the King's speech at the gala dinner (from the website of the Royal Court)

Mr President, Mrs Mogae,
Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen

It is a great pleasure to welcome you, and your delegation to the Royal Palace in Stockholm and to Sweden, on the very first State Visit from the Republic of Botswana, a country with which we have warm and friendly relations.

The Queen and I have special and fond memories of Botswana. Thirty years ago we spent parts of our honey moon in your beautiful country. The experience of visiting Botswana and its unspoilt nature and spectacular wildlife, under such special circumstances, have been a source of joy and inspiration ever since. Chobe National Park made a particularly deep impression. Despite the chilly season and different aim of your visit, I hope that you will feel as welcome in Sweden this time as we did in Botswana thirty years ago. We have done our best in planning your programme here and are opening our doors with warmth and Swedish generosity at the Royal Palace and elsewhere.

Botswana and Sweden have a long and close partnership in many areas. We share a number of basic values, such as peace and security for everyone, good governance and the rule of law, the need to strengthen the democratic processes and the respect for human rights, the care for the environment and the sustainable use of natural resources.

Your country is duly praised, not just in Africa, but throughout the world for its progress in development, economic growth and stability. Botswana has made valuable contributions to world peace, especially in some of the conflict areas on the African continent. Your country also plays an active role in international organizations, for example in IDEA, which is working to support sustainable democracy worldwide, and which is a participant in the seminar in the Parliament House where you will speak.

Mr President, you and other African leaders, have a major leadership role, promoting peace and development, across the African continent. The New Partnership for Africa's Development is an excellent example of Africa´s determination to take the responsibility for Africa by itself, as well as for the global community as a whole. The Swedish Government welcomes and supports the African Union's efforts to strengthen its conflict prevention and management capacities. Sub-regional organizations such as The Southern African Development Community and The Economic Community of West African States have an important role to play in implementing the NEPAD vision.

Regional co-operation is fundamental in contributing to political stability and economic development. Sweden supports Botswana's endeavours in this regard. SADC, which Botswana currently is chairing, plays a vital role in many areas such as trade, conflict prevention, poverty eradication and the fight against HIV/AIDS. Guiding SADC, in advancing the regional agenda, is a challenge. Sweden will remain an active partner in promoting these efforts.

Over the years, our two countries have worked together in a wide range of activities, from resistance to the apartheid system in South Africa to economic and technical development cooperation in Botswana and the region. This has resulted in numerous lasting contacts between the people of Botswana and Sweden. Even so, there is a wide range of further opportunities for enhancing our contacts at many levels - between our governments, our institutions and, not least, between our private sectors.

Mr President, inspired by your personal leadership Sweden will continue to work together with your Government on prevention, treatment and care in fighting HIV/AIDS. We sincerely hope that Sweden´s new contributions to the fight against HIV/AIDS, which is channelled through the UN system as well as bilateral channels, will make a difference for the vital process of coming to grips with this terrible decease with its devastating impact on families and societies worldwide.

Our countries are also partners in other areas of development cooperation. The Swedish Radio and TV are working together with their counterparts in Botswana in an important capacity-building project for independent public service broadcasting.

Mr President, during your stay in Sweden you will have the opportunity to get to know the work of some Swedish companies active in areas of interest to you. We hope that the opportunities that exist for a greater exchange of trade and investment between our countries will be highlighted and reinforced during this State Visit. The creation of a common market for the fourteen member states of SADC, and Botswana´s central position in such a market, could pave the way for your country to become an important commercial hub in the region.

I sincerely hope that you will all have a most memorable stay in our country. Although I know that you have had many contacts with Sweden and Swedes in the past, I am sure you will discover new facets at the same time as you recognise the hospitality and friendship that have existed between our two countries for a long time.

I am confident that your State Visit to Sweden will contribute to the further development of our relations as well as to sending a message of hope for the future. The encouraging story of Botswana´s democratic and economic progress, as well as its future potential, deserves to be told not only in Sweden, but all over the world.

Mr President, to you and your family, to your country and its people as well as to the friendship between Botswana and Sweden I now suggest we all join in a toast.

Skål! Thank you.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I am not so convinced of Victoria's look. I don't really care for the hat and in comparison to her mother, who looks so extremely refined and elegant, Victoria looks a bit in a disarray with the knee-high boots, the unbuttoned jacket (though that kind of jacket doesn't really button) and the oddly-perched hat.
I don't love this style either, and it's not one of her better styles, but right now I feel everything which doesn't include a ponytail and only black simple clothes is great on Victoria Meeting one of those criterias, I do feel that her style yesterday was rather refreshing and nice.

Old 03-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Serene Highness

Many thanks to all for posting the lovely pictures from the first day of state visit from Botswana.

The queen and crown princess wear dark colours because the short death of queens brother. But they look beautiful and royal in her dresses.

What did visit the king and queen with the guests yesterday afternoon?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
Victoria wears the strapless Natan dress she wore for Maximas prewedding dinner for the umptieth time, the baden tiara and a three string pearl necklace with a diamond clasp, Lilian in lime green and her laurel wreath tiara. This birthday of Carl Gustav must be expensive since Silvia has not gotten a new dress since May 2004:p

Here is a tiny preview (Charles Hammarsten)
Was that realy wat she wore, or is it what you expect she wore?? and are there more pictures??
Old 03-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Crown Princess Victoria welcome the President of Botswana, Festus G. Mogae and his wife Barbara at the airport
(from Goff photos)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	233892   Click image for larger version

Name:	v2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	233893   Click image for larger version

Name:	v3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	233894   Click image for larger version

Name:	v4.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	233895  

Name:	v5.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	233896   Click image for larger version

Name:	v6.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	233897   Click image for larger version

Name:	v7.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	233898  
Old 03-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Here are two pictures from the gala dinner last night, both are by Jonas Ekströmer via Svenska Dagbladet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SvD1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	233899  
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Courtier

I like Queen Silvia's gala outfit.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Commoner

yes she looks good as always!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

King Carl XVI Gustaf , Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria hosted the President of Botswana , Mr. Festus G. Mogae and Mrs. Barbara Mogae for a banquet at the Royal Castle in Stockholm , Sweden , on March 21 , 2006.

from DPA, photo by Toni Sica/Stella Pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	059601_4.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	233917   Click image for larger version

Name:	060801_4.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	233918   Click image for larger version

Name:	061201_4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	233919   Click image for larger version

Name:	061301_4.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	233920  

Name:	061701_4.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	233921   Click image for larger version

Name:	062001_4.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	233922  
Old 03-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Crown Princess Victoria attends the arrival of His Excellency Festus G. Mogae , President of the Republic of Botswana , and his wife Barbara G. Mogae for an official state visit to Sweden invited by the King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden , in Stockholm , Sweden , on March 21 , 2006.

From DPA, Photo by Toni Sica Stella Pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	133101_4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	233923  
Old 03-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Gentry

The Queen looked very nice at the gala - I don't really know whether I care for Victoria's new "style" - seems a bit ...less elegant compared to the queen?! :-)
Old 03-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Courtier

I love Queen Silvia's updo, it is very grand.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

This is one of the tiaras that suit Victoria the best :)
Old 03-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
This is one of the tiaras that suit Victoria the best :)
Yes, the Baden Fringe looks wonderful on Victoria. It surely is one of my favourite tiara's! :)
Old 03-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Hmm, I like Victoria's look with the tilt of the hat and the jacket. It looks quite pulled together and stylish to me. Only complaint I have is the hemline of the dress which cuts her leg off at an unflattering place.

The Baden fringe tiara as always is quite stunning. In fact both the Queen and Victoria have stunning tiaras.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursulajohanna
Many thanks to all for posting the lovely pictures from the first day of state visit from Botswana.

The queen and crown princess wear dark colours because the short death of queens brother. But they look beautiful and royal in her dresses.

What did visit the king and queen with the guests yesterday afternoon?
Is that why they wore dark colors or is that why you think they wore dark colors?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Aristocracy

Sylvia's hair is magnificently styled, as always. The court hairdresser is very skilled.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Nobility

Talking

I don't think it s the jacket length that's the problem, I think its the boot length.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
I don't think it s the jacket length that's the problem, I think its the boot length.
I wasn't referring to the jacket length - that looks fine. But the dress cuts across her legs at the fattest part and with the boots right under it, it acceutuates the chunkiness. I think she could have moved the hemline either just above the knee or below the boot and it would have looked more elegant.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-23-2006, 05:03 AM
Serene Highness

What was the program of the state visit yesterday? Royalcourt hasn't wrote an information on the website!

And is today a further official program with the king and queen?