The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Serene Highness

Well then rob 2008 you wouldn't be allowed to marry into their family then as you list yourself as a commoner.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Well then rob 2008 you wouldn't be allowed to marry into their family then as you list yourself as a commoner.
I know my place (and Madeleine is very sweet).

Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post

I think that the future Duchess of Värmland and Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland should both get the Swedish princely titles because wives of princes are naturally princesses and husbands of princesses should become princes because of equal primogeniture.
Never Happen.

In this day and age all RF's are trying to control the size of the Royal House by controlling who gets a HRH. If Jonas had married Madeline, he would surely have not become an HRH and neither would have any children from the union. I think the same will hold true for Madeline's future spouse. A wife of Carl-Philip will definitely become a HRH but their children would probably have to settle for a HH (like Joachim's children in Denmark). Victoria's children will probably be the only ones with the HRH.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

I think the opposite should apply.

If daughters can now precede sons in inheritance then a further result of the feminist movement has to be that Princes of the blood should not give their status and title to spouses. If you give every spouse a title then there is no distinction and you end up with title inflation. Anyway marrying someone doesnt take skill that needs to be recognised.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Serene Highness

We now know that Madeleine's husband will be a Duke. As for Carl Philip's wife, she'll be a Princess or a Duchess (or nothing if he marries someone absolutely outrageous, a convicted murderer, say and Madeleine would also lose her title if she does that). I guess we'll have to wait till he gets engaged to see. If Jonas could keep his job, I don't see why Carl Philip's wife wouldn't be able to. She might prefer to do royal duties, of course.

As for the children, I don't know if the ducal titles are/would become hereditary. I wouldn't be that surprised if Carl Philip's children weren't Princes and Princesses since in Holland, the children of Queen Beatrix's younger sons are Counts/Countesses. They might follow the norwegian model where only Victoria's oldest child will be HRH and her other children HH (like Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus). Everyone seems to be 'downsizing'.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Nobility

I think Carl Philip's future wife would be a Princess as well as a Duchess. Princess X of Sweden, Duchess of Varmland - similar to that of Prince Daniel's title, it being the male equivalent of Victoria's. As for children, they would probably simply be Prince/ss X of Sweden, and the eldest, particularly the child of Victoria and Daniel would probably be given a ducal title at birth; as for the rest of them, I've no idea. For Carl Philip and Madeleine's children, they would be just Prince/ss X of Sweden.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
We now know that Madeleine's husband will be a Duke. As for Carl Philip's wife, she'll be a Princess or a Duchess (or nothing if he marries someone absolutely outrageous, a convicted murderer, say and Madeleine would also lose her title if she does that). I guess we'll have to wait till he gets engaged to see. If Jonas could keep his job, I don't see why Carl Philip's wife wouldn't be able to. She might prefer to do royal duties, of course.

As for the children, I don't know if the ducal titles are/would become hereditary. I wouldn't be that surprised if Carl Philip's children weren't Princes and Princesses since in Holland, the children of Queen Beatrix's younger sons are Counts/Countesses. They might follow the norwegian model where only Victoria's oldest child will be HRH and her other children HH (like Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus). Everyone seems to be 'downsizing'.
Most likely a future wife of Carl Philip will be HRH Princess of Seden, Duchess of Värmland. As for this ducal title he can not be inherited by any of the children as the swedish ducal titles are personal. As for children we will have to wait and see. In the past children of Princess all became HRH Prince/Princess and the sons also an ducal title. The problem is that Carl Gustaf can not create noble titles so he can not give them another new title like it was done in the Netherlands for Constantijn's and Friso's chidlren. He can only regulate the titles of the members of the Royal House.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Most likely a future wife of Carl Philip will be HRH Princess of Seden, Duchess of Värmland. As for this ducal title he can not be inherited by any of the children as the swedish ducal titles are personal. As for children we will have to wait and see. In the past children of Princess all became HRH Prince/Princess and the sons also an ducal title. The problem is that Carl Gustaf can not create noble titles so he can not give them another new title like it was done in the Netherlands for Constantijn's and Friso's chidlren. He can only regulate the titles of the members of the Royal House.
He gave his children ducal titles didn't he? Or were they from the government?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
He gave his children ducal titles didn't he? Or were they from the government?
Yes the King gave these one to hem. These are the only on he is allowed to give and they are personal and can not be inherited.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yes trhe King gave these one to hem. These are the only on ehe is allowed to give and they are personal and can not be inherited.
And can only be given to members of the Royal House. Ducal titles in Sweden are just for the Royal House and are no longer heridary*.

*They used to be but the first tries (in the 13th and 16th century) all ended with only one of the old kings son's surviving, his brothers sons dead, in exile or in custody of the new king (and without ducal title) and the country in a less than pristine condition (like after a Civil war). So Sweden no longer make the Ducal titles hereditary it also stopped giving out actual Dukedoms (iow Dukedoms where the Duke\Duchess actually hold some kind of power).
Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 AM
Serene Highness

Hmm... That is true. I've never heard of a Swedish prince or princess inheriting a ducal title. Instead, all princes have been given a ducal title of his own at birth. (Princesses only were granted this starting with Victoria and Madeleine, the current king's daughters).