Titles of the Swedish RF and Changes 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Swedish Dukedoms like the Spanish ones granted to both of the King's daughters and sister by H.M.King Juan Carlos are not Hereditary Dukedoms and are for life only.(The exception being the dukedom of Hernani held by HRH The Infanta Margarita which is hereditary,Soria is not) The British Dukedom of York is also an not a Hereditary Dukedom in the UK.

Incorrect on the Duke of York title.

It is hereditary with the current creation having the same remainder as Edinburgh, Wessex and Cambridge - 'heirs male of his body lawfully begotten'. This is the link to and a copy of the official announcement from 1986: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/50612/page/9975

CROWN OFFICE
House of Lords, London SW1A OPW
23rd July 1986.
Letters Patent have passed the Great Seal of the Realm,
dated 23rd July 1986, granting unto Her Majesty's Son, His
Royal Highness Prince Andrew Albert Christian Edward,
C.V.O., and the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten
the dignities of Baron Killyleagh, Earl of Inverness and
Duke of York.
(1SI) /. L. Waine

If Andrew remarries and has a son that son will inherit York or if the current proposal - a private member's bill (again) that will allow for daughters to inherit their father's titles does get up then Beatrice will inherit York.

It just so happens that since the middle ages every Duke of York has either died with no children, daughters only or has inherited the throne but it is most definitely inheritable.

The Swedish Dukedoms like the Spanish ones granted to both of the King's daughters and sister by H.M.King Juan Carlos are not Hereditary Dukedoms and are for life only.(The exception being the dukedom of Hernani held by HRH The Infanta Margarita which is hereditary,Soria is not) The British Dukedom of York is also an not a Hereditary Dukedom in the UK.

The British Dukedom of York is a hereditary dukedom, there just is no heir as only male-line descendants can inherit and the Duke of York has only daughters.

The first creation of the Dukedom of Gotland was in 1885 for Prince Oscar.
Prince Oscar renounced the tile Duke of Gotland with his succession rights upon marrying his sister-in-law's lady-in-waiting in 1888.

When Victoria will be queen will then Daniel still be "only" Prince of Sweden or will he be "upgraded" to HRH "Gemålen" - Prince Consort?

When Victoria will be queen will then Daniel still be "only" Prince of Sweden or will he be "upgraded" to HRH "Gemålen" - Prince Consort?

It's an open question and probably up to the future Queen Victoria I of Sweden to decide. He won't get a new title automatically. His titles are H.R.H Prince Daniel Duke of Västergötland, Prince of Sweden. That's his titles for life or as long as V and D are married. It's possible but not certain that Victoria may add the title Prince Consort (Prinsgemålen).

If they chose to continue in the current style they will be known as The Queen and Prince Daniel or The Queen and The Duke of Västergötland. Similar to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh in UK.

King Gustav V had the title of Duke of Varmland.
Upon his accession to the throne of Sweden, could one of his younger sons, Prince Vilhelm or Prince Erik, have been made the Duke of Varmland?​

No, they could not be made duke of Värmland, as king Gustav V continued to be duke of Värmland, even if he didn't use that title after his accession. A Swedish royal ducal title becomes vacant only after the death of the bearer, that has also been true for the titles of those Swedish princes who lost all their titles upon marriage.

What happens to Victoria's titles when she becomes queen? Will she still have them? Or will they get passed down?

Iluvbertie;1665675[B said:

[/B]
If Andrew remarries and has a son that son will inherit York or if the current proposal - a private member's bill (again) that will allow for daughters to inherit their father's titles does get up then Beatrice will inherit York.

I was under the impression that, under the proposed bill, a peerage becomes inheritable in the female line only if the family agrees thereto, but I'm not really sure.

If all dukedoms can be passed on to female heirs after the bill is passed, I see a problem in the future as there will soon be a shortage of vacant dukedoms available for members of the current Royal Family.

I was under the impression that, under the proposed bill, a peerage becomes inheritable in the female line only if the family agrees thereto, but I'm not really sure.

If all dukedoms can be passed on to female heirs after the bill is passed, I see a problem in the future as there will soon be a shortage of vacant dukedoms available for members of the current Royal Family.

The Swedish dukedoms have never been inheritable so there's no risk in them running out.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I wonder what dukedom the new prince or princess will have

TRH The Duchess and Duke of Västergötland (Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel)
HRH The Duchess of Östergötland (Princess Estelle)
HRH The Duke and Duchess of Värmland (Prince Carl Philip and soon to be Princess Sofia)
HRH The Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland (Princess Madeleine)
HRH The Duchess of Gotland (Princess Leonore)
HRH the Duke or Duchess X (prince or princess X)

I wonder what dukedom the new prince or princess will have

TRH The Duchess and Duke of Västergötland (Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel)
HRH The Duke and Duchess of Värmland (Prince Carl Philip and soon to be Princess Sofia)
HRH the Duke or Duchess X (prince or princess X)

Indeed very interesting. In my opinion could we ad some dukedoms to the list that are not available:
- Jämtland (King Carl XVI Gustaf is was awarded this dukedom on this birth, but are not using it since he became King. In fact he is still Duke of Jämtland, even if I think some would disagree.)
- Dalarna (Late Count Carl Johan Bernadotte, his wife is still alive and I think it would bee seen as inappropriate to award this dukedom to anyone as Countess Gunnila still is alive, even if she is not a duchess.)
- Uppland (Late Count Sigvard Bernadotte, his wife Marianne Bernadotte still is alive. Sigvard lost his title long time ago, but it would be strange to give this dukedom to anyone else as long as Marianne lives.)

Questions about Titles

It would really have been best if Madeleines children got their fathers name and no titles. But this is sadly a prestigous question for Madeleine and i belive also for the King.

Available dukedoms at the moment is from north to south Lappland, Norrbotten, Västerbotten (wich was last held by the parents of the King), Ångermanland, Medelpad, Västmanland (dukedom of Prince Erik), Södermanland (very unlikely that they use Södermanland if it's a boy as he would technically be the new heir to Stenhammar), Närke (Dukedom of Prince Eugen) , Dalsland, Bohuslän, Halland (Bertil and Lilians dukedom), Småland (dukedom of Count Lennart Bernadotte), Öland, Skåne (dukedom of King Gustaf VI Adolf) and Blekinge.

Dukedoms in use are Jämtland (The King), Västergötland (Victoria and Daniel), Östergötland (Estelle), Värmland (Carl Philip and soon also Sofia), Hälsingland and Gästrikland (Madeleine, first ever to hold 2 dukedoms at the same time) and Gotland (Eleonore).

Uppland and Dalarna is technically still in use as the wife's of the last holders are alive even though they married after Sigvard and Carl Johan lost their titles so i would be VERY surprised if they use them again as long as Marianne and Gunnila is alive.

Last edited:
I always wondered why Princess Madeleine got to Dukedoms. Does anyone knows why?

About the new baby's Dukedom, I'd like Närke for a boy and Lappland for a girl.

Questions about Titles

I always wondered why Princess Madeleine got to Dukedoms. Does anyone knows why?

About the new baby's Dukedom, I'd like Närke for a boy and Lappland for a girl.

I'm not sure but i guess they were advised to do so as both provinces Hälsingland and Gästrikland is the same county (Gävleborg) and it would look strange if they were separated.

Lappland would be interesting as there have never been a Duke / Duchess of Lappland and it is the most northern and geographically the largest province in Sweden.

Last edited:
I'm not sure but i guess they were advised to do so as both provinces Hälsingland and Gästrikland is the same county (Gävleborg) and it would look strange if they were separated.

Thank you. Yeah, it'd look strange.

Lappland would be interesting as there have never been a Duke / Duchess of Lappland and it is the most northern and geographically the largest province in Sweden.

That's interesting! Now I'm really rooting for Lappland.

The new prince got a dukedom never used
Prince Nicolas of Sweden, duke of ångermanland

HRH The Duke and Duchess of Värmland (Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia)
HRH the Duke of Ångermanland (prince Nicolas)

It seems unfair that 3 of the King's sisters all lost their HRH style and rank as Princess of Sweden as a result of 'unequal marriages' ,I guess it was a long time ago and perhaps it hasn't really bothered any of the sisters.

It seems unfair that 3 of the King's sisters all lost their HRH style and rank as Princess of Sweden as a result of 'unequal marriages' ,I guess it was a long time ago and perhaps it hasn't really bothered any of the sisters.
The rules were very different when they married. It also impacted Prince Bertil. He chose to stay in the line of succession until King Carl Gustaf was married as he would otherwise have lost his place as well. Which would for a few years have left Sweden with a very old king and a very young crownprince.

Indeed, before 1980 the succession in Sweden was male succession only. Princesses were not in line of the throne. The Act "only" mandated that a Swedish prince was not allowed to marry a "enskild svensk mans dotter" (a private Swedish man's daughter) which was in practice read as: he needs to marry a partner of equal standing, not from Sweden. The King had to give his consent.

KIng Carl XVI Gustaf married a non-Swedish partner. He himself accepted the non-equal standing of Ms Silvia Sommerlath. The Act dies not specifically require the partner to be of equal standing but of course until 1976 this was simply expected from a royal Prince (or Princess). After this giving-in to his own situation, the King could not refuse Ms Lilian Craig (British), Mr Daniel Westling, Mr Jonas Bergström, Mr Christopher O'Neill (British) and Ms Sofia Hellqvist.

When the succesion was made gender-neutral, the original Act of succession was changed: no longer the descendants of King Karl XIV Johan (the first Bernadotte King) but only the descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf. With this the female descendants from the first Bernadotte King remained excluded, amongst them the King's sisters. The only exception which was allowed: Prince Bertil. A special remainder to the Succession Act included Prince Bertil as a successor and indeed, until the birth of Prince Carl Philip he was Number One and after the change of the Constitution he became Number Four after the King's three children. With the passing away of Prince Bertil (1997) this remainder became obsolete.

Last edited:
Questions about Titles

Well they actually got of better than some of their uncles who became plain Mr Bernadotte after marriage to commoners. I think I've seen somewhere that King GVIA was inspired by the way King Olav had his daughters styled after marriage when he decided the rank of his granddaughters and letting them keep the novelty courtesy title of Princess ... Mrs/Baroness ... but not the rank of HRH

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I find it very interesting that Princess Christina, who lost her HRH at her wedding, has always continued to do royal work. She is included in State Visits, the representation dinners, the Nobels, etc. Imo that is a very pragmatic approach, they don't care about HRH or not. She is doing her bit and everything is well.

I find it very interesting that Princess Christina, who lost her HRH at her wedding, has always continued to do royal work. She is included in State Visits, the representation dinners, the Nobels, etc. Imo that is a very pragmatic approach, they don't care about HRH or not. She is doing her bit and everything is well.

That also had a practical reason:

Princess Birgitta von Hohenzollern née Princess of Sweden moved to Germany and later to Spain.

Princess Margaretha, Mrs Ambler moved to the United Kingdom.

Princess Désirée, Baroness Silfverschiöld pursued a private life on the countryside, living at Koberg Castle.

Princess Christina, Mrs Magnuson was -between the death of her mother and the King's marriage- the only royal princess in Sweden and acted as the country's first lady. As chair of the Swedish Red Cross, closest to the King's age, etc. she indeed has a somewhat more active role in comparison with her sisters.

Princess Christina, Mrs Magnuson was -between the death of her mother and the King's marriage- the only royal princess in Sweden and acted as the country's first lady. As chair of the Swedish Red Cross, closest to the King's age, etc. she indeed has a somewhat more active role in comparison with her sisters.
I think that Christina also is the sister who has been the most comfortable in her role as a princess. Both Margaretha and Désirée prefers a life out of the public eye. Had Birgitta married a Swede and stayed here I think she would have done a good job supporting her brother, as she would probably have been comfortable in that role.

HRH the Duke of Skåne (prince Oscar)
HRH The Duke and Duchess of Värmland (Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia)
HRH the Duke of Ångermanland (prince Nicolas)

When you're made a duke in Sweden does it automatically come with a duchy? I always see 'guess the duchy' when a baby is born and I wondered what exactly does it mean.

Last edited:
Yes, the title Duke or Duchess is conferred only to members of the Royal House and always with a duchy that correspons to one (or in one case two) of the 25 traditional provinces of Sweden.

On Gästrikland and Hälsingland. What is confusing are the differences between the modern day organisational county (/province!!) and the cultural and historical county. And to be historically accurate, Gästrikland is a county while Hälsingland is a duchy.

The Gästrikland coat of arms: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...and_vapen.svg/502px-Gästrikland_vapen.svg.png
The Hälsingland coat of arms: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...land_landskapsvapen_-_Riksarkivet_Sverige.png

Today we call them counties ("län"), in the sense that they share the same administrative board and governor ("landshövding"). As such they even have a joint coat of arms: http://www.lansstyrelsen.se/gavleborg/SiteCollectionImages/Sv/om-lansstyrelsen/lansvapnet_stor.jpg
In the academic world, when being a member of a student nation at university, Gestrike-Helsinge Nation (old spelling) is still one student organisation as opposed to two separate ones.

So it makes perfect sense that Madeleine is the Duchess of Gästrikland and Hälsingland.

Back
Top Bottom