The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-12-2018, 10:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
HM The King (Duke of Jämtland)
TRH The Duchess and Duke of Västergötland (Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel)
HRH The Duchess of Östergötland (Princess Estelle)
HRH the Duke of Skåne (prince Oscar)
HRH The Duke and Duchess of Värmland (Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia)
HRH The Duke of Södermanland (Prince Alexander)
HRH The Duke of Dalarna (Prince Gabriel)
HRH The Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland (Princess Madeleine)
HRH The Duchess of Gotland (Princess Leonore)
HRH the Duke of Ångermanland (Prince Nicolas)
HRH The Duchess of Blekinge (Princess Adrienne)
I am having fun learning how to pronounce those Swedish names ! I guess I have figured out the vowel system now, but the different pronunciations of the letter 'g' still confuse me. Also, I find it very hard to know which syllable is stressed in Swedish words.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Majesty

Just for curiosity: Which of Swedish provinces do not currently have a Duke?

Old 03-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Just for curiosity: Which of Swedish provinces do not currently have a Duke?
Bohuslän, Dalsland, Halland, Härjedalen, Lappland, Medelpad, Norrbotten, Närke, Småland, Uppland, Västerbotten, Västmanland, and Öland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The only grandchildren whose kids will get a duchy are Estelle and Oscar.
It may be, but the court hasn't issued any statements regarding the titles of Carl Philip and Madeleine's grandchildren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
What are princess astrid's children's titles
HI&RH or HRH?
Astrid of Belgium's children are titled HRH.
Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad
Old 07-31-2018, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I apologize if that sounds like a dumb question, but how does one say "you" (or equivalent) in Swedish when addressing a Swedish royal ?

On a related, but different question, how would one say "you" to Mr Christopher O'Neill ?

Thank you for your reply.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I apologize if that sounds like a dumb question, but how does one say "you" (or equivalent) in Swedish when addressing a Swedish royal ?

On a related, but different question, how would one say "you" to Mr Christopher O'Neill ?

Thank you for your reply.
Not a stupid questions at all, actually there are many options to choose from in how the Swedish royal is adressed.

Many would just say "du" (you) and few would say "Ni" (You), the use of "Ni" in Swedish was almost removed in the 1960's.

Another option, which many would do, is to address the royal with their title, "Kungen" (the King), "Drottningen"(the Queen) etc. It sounds a bit complicated, but it avoids the royals to be addressed "du". For example:

"Skulle Kungen kunna berätta om x?" Could the King tell us about x?
"Vad anser Kronprinsessan om x?" What does the Crown Princess think about x?

I think many Swedes would address Christopher O'Neill with "du", in line with his decision to decline a title.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
Not a stupid questions at all, actually there are many options to choose from in how the Swedish royal is adressed.

Many would just say "du" (you) and few would say "Ni" (You), the use of "Ni" in Swedish was almost removed in the 1960's.

Another option, which many would do, is to address the royal with their title, "Kungen" (the King), "Drottningen"(the Queen) etc. It sounds a bit complicated, but it avoids the royals to be addressed "du". For example:

"Skulle Kungen kunna berätta om x?" Could the King tell us about x?
"Vad anser Kronprinsessan om x?" What does the Crown Princess think about x?

I think many Swedes would address Christopher O'Neill with "du", in line with his decision to decline a title.

Thank you very much, Kingen. Your reply was very helpful.

I have just one more question: when the indirect third-person form of address is used (e.g. "the King"), are third-person possessive pronouns used too ? I mean, would you say

Would the King like his cup of coffee now ?

or

Would the King like your cup of coffee now ?

Thanks again.

EDIT: If "the King" were replaced with "Your Majesty", would that change the possessive pronoun too ?
Old 08-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not being a speaker of Swedish I cannot answer the question with certainty but we did and sometimes still do something similar in our family when addressing our (much older) uncles and aunts. The formal 'u' seems to distant and the informal 'jij' not respectful enough, so the sentence (translated) 'Would aunt X like a/her cup of coffee?' (I'd try to avoid the possessive but if needed it would be her) would come completely natural to me (while my husband still isn't used to it - he would use the formal you instead).