The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Majesty

I wonder what dukedom the new prince or princess will have

TRH The Duchess and Duke of Västergötland (Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel)
HRH The Duchess of Östergötland (Princess Estelle)
HRH The Duke and Duchess of Värmland (Prince Carl Philip and soon to be Princess Sofia)
HRH The Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland (Princess Madeleine)
HRH The Duchess of Gotland (Princess Leonore)
HRH the Duke or Duchess X (prince or princess X)

Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
I wonder what dukedom the new prince or princess will have

TRH The Duchess and Duke of Västergötland (Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel)
HRH The Duke and Duchess of Värmland (Prince Carl Philip and soon to be Princess Sofia)
HRH the Duke or Duchess X (prince or princess X)
Indeed very interesting. In my opinion could we ad some dukedoms to the list that are not available:
- Jämtland (King Carl XVI Gustaf is was awarded this dukedom on this birth, but are not using it since he became King. In fact he is still Duke of Jämtland, even if I think some would disagree.)
- Dalarna (Late Count Carl Johan Bernadotte, his wife is still alive and I think it would bee seen as inappropriate to award this dukedom to anyone as Countess Gunnila still is alive, even if she is not a duchess.)
- Uppland (Late Count Sigvard Bernadotte, his wife Marianne Bernadotte still is alive. Sigvard lost his title long time ago, but it would be strange to give this dukedom to anyone else as long as Marianne lives.)

Old 06-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Serene Highness

Questions about Titles

It would really have been best if Madeleines children got their fathers name and no titles. But this is sadly a prestigous question for Madeleine and i belive also for the King.

Available dukedoms at the moment is from north to south Lappland, Norrbotten, Västerbotten (wich was last held by the parents of the King), Ångermanland, Medelpad, Västmanland (dukedom of Prince Erik), Södermanland (very unlikely that they use Södermanland if it's a boy as he would technically be the new heir to Stenhammar), Närke (Dukedom of Prince Eugen) , Dalsland, Bohuslän, Halland (Bertil and Lilians dukedom), Småland (dukedom of Count Lennart Bernadotte), Öland, Skåne (dukedom of King Gustaf VI Adolf) and Blekinge.

Dukedoms in use are Jämtland (The King), Västergötland (Victoria and Daniel), Östergötland (Estelle), Värmland (Carl Philip and soon also Sofia), Hälsingland and Gästrikland (Madeleine, first ever to hold 2 dukedoms at the same time) and Gotland (Eleonore).

Uppland and Dalarna is technically still in use as the wife's of the last holders are alive even though they married after Sigvard and Carl Johan lost their titles so i would be VERY surprised if they use them again as long as Marianne and Gunnila is alive.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Courtier

I always wondered why Princess Madeleine got to Dukedoms. Does anyone knows why?

About the new baby's Dukedom, I'd like Närke for a boy and Lappland for a girl.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Serene Highness

Questions about Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
I always wondered why Princess Madeleine got to Dukedoms. Does anyone knows why?

About the new baby's Dukedom, I'd like Närke for a boy and Lappland for a girl.

I'm not sure but i guess they were advised to do so as both provinces Hälsingland and Gästrikland is the same county (Gävleborg) and it would look strange if they were separated.

Lappland would be interesting as there have never been a Duke / Duchess of Lappland and it is the most northern and geographically the largest province in Sweden.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I'm not sure but i guess they were advised to do so as both provinces Hälsingland and Gästrikland is the same county (Gävleborg) and it would look strange if they were separated.
Thank you. Yeah, it'd look strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Lappland would be interesting as there have never been a Duke / Duchess of Lappland and it is the most northern and geographically the largest province in Sweden.
That's interesting! Now I'm really rooting for Lappland.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Majesty

The new prince got a dukedom never used
Prince Nicolas of Sweden, duke of ångermanland
Old 06-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Majesty

HRH The Duke and Duchess of Värmland (Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia)
HRH the Duke of Ångermanland (prince Nicolas)
Old 07-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

It seems unfair that 3 of the King's sisters all lost their HRH style and rank as Princess of Sweden as a result of 'unequal marriages' ,I guess it was a long time ago and perhaps it hasn't really bothered any of the sisters.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
It seems unfair that 3 of the King's sisters all lost their HRH style and rank as Princess of Sweden as a result of 'unequal marriages' ,I guess it was a long time ago and perhaps it hasn't really bothered any of the sisters.
The rules were very different when they married. It also impacted Prince Bertil. He chose to stay in the line of succession until King Carl Gustaf was married as he would otherwise have lost his place as well. Which would for a few years have left Sweden with a very old king and a very young crownprince.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:03 AM
Majesty

Indeed, before 1980 the succession in Sweden was male succession only. Princesses were not in line of the throne. The Act "only" mandated that a Swedish prince was not allowed to marry a "enskild svensk mans dotter" (a private Swedish man's daughter) which was in practice read as: he needs to marry a partner of equal standing, not from Sweden. The King had to give his consent.

KIng Carl XVI Gustaf married a non-Swedish partner. He himself accepted the non-equal standing of Ms Silvia Sommerlath. The Act dies not specifically require the partner to be of equal standing but of course until 1976 this was simply expected from a royal Prince (or Princess). After this giving-in to his own situation, the King could not refuse Ms Lilian Craig (British), Mr Daniel Westling, Mr Jonas Bergström, Mr Christopher O'Neill (British) and Ms Sofia Hellqvist.

When the succesion was made gender-neutral, the original Act of succession was changed: no longer the descendants of King Karl XIV Johan (the first Bernadotte King) but only the descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf. With this the female descendants from the first Bernadotte King remained excluded, amongst them the King's sisters. The only exception which was allowed: Prince Bertil. A special remainder to the Succession Act included Prince Bertil as a successor and indeed, until the birth of Prince Carl Philip he was Number One and after the change of the Constitution he became Number Four after the King's three children. With the passing away of Prince Bertil (1997) this remainder became obsolete.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:37 AM
Serene Highness

Questions about Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

Well they actually got of better than some of their uncles who became plain Mr Bernadotte after marriage to commoners. I think I've seen somewhere that King GVIA was inspired by the way King Olav had his daughters styled after marriage when he decided the rank of his granddaughters and letting them keep the novelty courtesy title of Princess ... Mrs/Baroness ... but not the rank of HRH

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-18-2015, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

That's very true JR76!
Old 07-18-2015, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

I find it very interesting that Princess Christina, who lost her HRH at her wedding, has always continued to do royal work. She is included in State Visits, the representation dinners, the Nobels, etc. Imo that is a very pragmatic approach, they don't care about HRH or not. She is doing her bit and everything is well.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I find it very interesting that Princess Christina, who lost her HRH at her wedding, has always continued to do royal work. She is included in State Visits, the representation dinners, the Nobels, etc. Imo that is a very pragmatic approach, they don't care about HRH or not. She is doing her bit and everything is well.
That also had a practical reason:

Princess Birgitta von Hohenzollern née Princess of Sweden moved to Germany and later to Spain.

Princess Margaretha, Mrs Ambler moved to the United Kingdom.

Princess Désirée, Baroness Silfverschiöld pursued a private life on the countryside, living at Koberg Castle.

Princess Christina, Mrs Magnuson was -between the death of her mother and the King's marriage- the only royal princess in Sweden and acted as the country's first lady. As chair of the Swedish Red Cross, closest to the King's age, etc. she indeed has a somewhat more active role in comparison with her sisters.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Princess Christina, Mrs Magnuson was -between the death of her mother and the King's marriage- the only royal princess in Sweden and acted as the country's first lady. As chair of the Swedish Red Cross, closest to the King's age, etc. she indeed has a somewhat more active role in comparison with her sisters.
I think that Christina also is the sister who has been the most comfortable in her role as a princess. Both Margaretha and Désirée prefers a life out of the public eye. Had Birgitta married a Swede and stayed here I think she would have done a good job supporting her brother, as she would probably have been comfortable in that role.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:17 AM
Majesty

HRH the Duke of Skåne (prince Oscar)
HRH The Duke and Duchess of Värmland (Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia)
HRH the Duke of Ångermanland (prince Nicolas)
Old 04-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent

When you're made a duke in Sweden does it automatically come with a duchy? I always see 'guess the duchy' when a baby is born and I wondered what exactly does it mean.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Commoner

Yes, the title Duke or Duchess is conferred only to members of the Royal House and always with a duchy that correspons to one (or in one case two) of the 25 traditional provinces of Sweden.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:25 PM

On Gästrikland and Hälsingland. What is confusing are the differences between the modern day organisational county (/province!!) and the cultural and historical county. And to be historically accurate, Gästrikland is a county while Hälsingland is a duchy.

The Gästrikland coat of arms: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._vapen.svg.png
The Hälsingland coat of arms: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...et_Sverige.png

Today we call them counties ("län"), in the sense that they share the same administrative board and governor ("landshövding"). As such they even have a joint coat of arms: http://www.lansstyrelsen.se/gavlebor...apnet_stor.jpg
In the academic world, when being a member of a student nation at university, Gestrike-Helsinge Nation (old spelling) is still one student organisation as opposed to two separate ones.

So it makes perfect sense that Madeleine is the Duchess of Gästrikland and Hälsingland.