The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
What are princess astrid's children's titles
HI&RH or HRH?
Their fathers title was HIRH Archduke Lorenz of Austria Este. Their mother is HRH Princess Astrid of Belgium. Their grandfather also created them HRH Prince/Princess of Belgium as well as creating their father HRH Prince of Belgium.
Thus they are HRH of Belgoim and HIRH of Austria Este.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-27-2012, 04:10 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia

Unlike most European Royal Houses, the line of the succession to the Swedish Throne is very limited. Originally determined by the articles of the 1810 Constitution (which included all agnatic Bernadotte descendants), the 1980 changes limited the succession only to the descendants of the current king, Carl XVI Gustaf, excluding all other Bernadotte branches. Thus, there are currently, there are only four people in it - Crown Princess Victoria, Princess Estelle, Prince Carl-Philip and Princess Madeline.

Even if the Crown Princess goes on to have 2-3 more children, Prince Carl Philip will still be very high in the succession line; as such, it is extremely likely that his children will be Royal Highnesses. They will also most probably be given titles, though not Dukedoms - Earldoms are much more likely.

Princess Madeline's husband is likely to have titles jure uxoris (though his wife), thus becoming Duke of Halsingland and Gastrikland, just as Prince Daniel is Duke of Vastergotland. Their children will likely be nobles but not royals; in other words, they won't be Royal Highnesses but will probably have courtesy titles of counts and countesses.
Earldoms don't exist in Sweden. The King of Sweden can't bestow any noble titles since many years. The only titles he is allowed to give is prince/princess and duke/duchess to members of the royal family.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: City on islands, Sweden
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Thus, there are currently, there are only four people in it - Crown Princess Victoria, Princess Estelle, Prince Carl-Philip and Princess Madeline.

Even if the Crown Princess goes on to have 2-3 more children, Prince Carl Philip will still be very high in the succession line; as such, it is extremely likely that his children will be Royal Highnesses. They will also most probably be given titles, though not Dukedoms - Earldoms are much more likely.

Princess Madeline's husband is likely to have titles jure uxoris (though his wife), thus becoming Duke of Halsingland and Gastrikland, just as Prince Daniel is Duke of Vastergotland. Their children will likely be nobles but not royals; in other words, they won't be Royal Highnesses but will probably have courtesy titles of counts and countesses.
I would guess that the same rules will apply to both the children of Carl Philip and Madeleine, whether it's getting the title HRH and/or a Dutchy or not, if Madeleine keeps her royal title after marriage. She had planned to keep her title if she had married Jonas Bergström, there are no reason why she should have changed her mind now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Josefine's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: , Sweden
Posts: 9,178
there were a article in aftonbladet i think were the king said there is a reason and a tradition why Estelle got the dukedom östergotland, but he did not want to say why but there is a explanation if you look to the traditions.

why do you think she got that dukedom?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Esmerelda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine
there were a article in aftonbladet i think were the king said there is a reason and a tradition why Estelle got the dukedom östergotland, but he did not want to say why but there is a explanation if you look to the traditions.

why do you think she got that dukedom?
Well, the last duke of Ostergotland was Prince Carl Bernadotte, whose parents were Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg- Duke and Duchess of Vastergotland (Victoria's dukedom). Other than that I can't think why.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Carl_Bernadotte
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Posts: 8,791
List of Duchies in Sweden

Duchies in Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
4th of August 1900 : Birth of H.M.Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 1,262
King Gustav V had the title of Duke of Varmland.
Upon his accession to the throne of Sweden, could one of his younger sons, Prince Vilhelm or Prince Erik, have been made the Duke of Varmland?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 PM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,809


It would have been highly unlikely, considering both Princes were already Dukes - Södermanland and Västmanland. It is not like the British system where the Dukedoms are passed down by the father/mother - once the individual has died or taken the throne, their Dukedom becomes vacant and able for regrant.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post


It would have been highly unlikely, considering both Princes were already Dukes - Södermanland and Västmanland. It is not like the British system where the Dukedoms are passed down by the father/mother - once the individual has died or taken the throne, their Dukedom becomes vacant and able for regrant.
JessRulz, Thank you for the explanation.
It is good to learn that in Sweden the Dukedoms are not passed down.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-16-2014, 08:14 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Posts: 8,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post


JessRulz, Thank you for the explanation.
It is good to learn that in Sweden the Dukedoms are not passed down.
The Swedish Dukedoms like the Spanish ones granted to both of the King's daughters and sister by H.M.King Juan Carlos are not Hereditary Dukedoms and are for life only.(The exception being the dukedom of Hernani held by HRH The Infanta Margarita which is hereditary,Soria is not) The British Dukedom of York is also an not a Hereditary Dukedom in the UK.
__________________
4th of August 1900 : Birth of H.M.Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Swedish Dukedoms like the Spanish ones granted to both of the King's daughters and sister by H.M.King Juan Carlos are not Hereditary Dukedoms and are for life only.(The exception being the dukedom of Hernani held by HRH The Infanta Margarita which is hereditary,Soria is not) The British Dukedom of York is also an not a Hereditary Dukedom in the UK.
Incorrect on the Duke of York title.

It is hereditary with the current creation having the same remainder as Edinburgh, Wessex and Cambridge - 'heirs male of his body lawfully begotten'. This is the link to and a copy of the official announcement from 1986: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...0612/page/9975


CROWN OFFICE
House of Lords, London SW1A OPW
23rd July 1986.
Letters Patent have passed the Great Seal of the Realm,
dated 23rd July 1986, granting unto Her Majesty's Son, His
Royal Highness Prince Andrew Albert Christian Edward,
C.V.O., and the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten
the dignities of Baron Killyleagh, Earl of Inverness and
Duke of York.
(1SI) /. L. Waine

If Andrew remarries and has a son that son will inherit York or if the current proposal - a private member's bill (again) that will allow for daughters to inherit their father's titles does get up then Beatrice will inherit York.

It just so happens that since the middle ages every Duke of York has either died with no children, daughters only or has inherited the throne but it is most definitely inheritable.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Swedish Dukedoms like the Spanish ones granted to both of the King's daughters and sister by H.M.King Juan Carlos are not Hereditary Dukedoms and are for life only.(The exception being the dukedom of Hernani held by HRH The Infanta Margarita which is hereditary,Soria is not) The British Dukedom of York is also an not a Hereditary Dukedom in the UK.

The British Dukedom of York is a hereditary dukedom, there just is no heir as only male-line descendants can inherit and the Duke of York has only daughters.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 1,262
The first creation of the Dukedom of Gotland was in 1885 for Prince Oscar.
Prince Oscar renounced the tile Duke of Gotland with his succession rights upon marrying his sister-in-law's lady-in-waiting in 1888.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
zephyr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about British Styles and Titles summrbrew2 British Royals 2451 06-24-2014 09:35 PM
Questions About [non-British] Styles and Titles Lord Sosnowitz Royal Ceremony and Protocol 717 05-17-2014 05:44 PM
Questions about Names, Styles and Titles Warren Royal Families of France 10 12-09-2013 06:56 PM
Diana's Styles and Titles florawindsor Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 573 11-14-2013 11:59 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth bourbon-parma charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman picture of the month pieter van vollenhoven pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]