The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2015, 06:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Do you know if they communicated in english btw ? As far as I know the Pope doesn't speak english very well. ( I remember he had an interpreter when Queen Elizabet met with him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbellar View Post
I saw an interpreter when Queen Silvia met with him privately but she also greeted him in Spanish and they exchanged pleasantries in Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Marty91charmed, Sarahbellar has posted a video a few posts above and she mentions that Chris spoke in German and Silvia in Spanish, so I can imagine that those were the languages that were mostly spoken between the royals and the Pope today.

Sarahbellar, thank you for the information. It's interesting that the Jordanian Royals met the Pope. Cute to hear that Madeleine met him when she was little with Victoria and Carl Philip, too.

(Suddenly I can't quote posts which explains the format I'm using!)

I read in one of the articles about the meeting that there was a Swedish interpreter present who wasn't needed since Queen Silvia is fluent in Spanish. Apparently she even worked at the Argentinian consulate in Munich for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 04-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
At first I thought it was a little strange that Leonore attended, but then I read that Chris is Catholic (which I didn't realise beforehand), so now her attendance makes more sense. It's lovely that they brought her along. Have any other royal children (past or present) been "presented" to the Pope?

I couldn't help but notice that Chris still looks a little uncomfortable. I think he looks comfortable in informal settings, such as in the Aret Med Kungafamiljen clip of him with Madeleine and Leonore in one of the Palaces' gardens, but in official/formal occasions such as this he often appears as uncomfortable IMO. Perhaps on this occasion though, he was a little nervous as he was meeting the Pope, which I can imagine would be a very important event for him.

I agree, Pope Francis seems to be excellent with children and I loved the photos of him with little Leonore.

Most if not all Catholic Royal children are presented to the Pope at some point. There are charming photos of the children of Henri and Maria-Teresa of Luxembourg kneeling to receive the blessing of Pope St. John Paul II at the Vatican when they were young. I've also seen one of Charles-Philippe d'Orleans at the Vatican when he was about ten. I think he was confirmed by John Paul II.

Since Chris O'Neill was raised Catholic he might have been a bit more tense and a little more awed to actually be at the Vatican than his wife and mother-in-law.

Madeleine looked radiant and beautiful. Leonore is just adorable, and the pope seemed smitten with her.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

That video of leonore giving the pope her key chain or whatever it was in her mouth when she was on Silvia lap and then taking it back was charming! It would be very nice to have the pope kiss your child.
Chris looks uncomfortable but he is not used to being photographed. Most of us would look uncomfortable too. Looking natural on camera is a skill which takes practice and ability
Old 04-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Majesty

Leonore was keen to have something in her mouth during the entire audience...her medallion, her mummy's pearls at one point.

I wonder if she is teething now?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Madeleine met the Pope when she was younger along with her siblings.
The Spanish children met him in 2011.
Same with the Jordan Royals in 2009.
The first photo is from the audience in Vatican in 1991. The swedish royal children had met the pope already in 8th June 1989 when the pope visited Sweden.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
The king, queen and Victoria had an audience with the Pope in Vatican in November 1999.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
On that visit they also attended at a mass in Vatican.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010060...30194284514927

Queen Silvia invited the Pope to visit Sweden.
- He said that he would like to come. The Pope has always admired Sweden because we have received so many refugees, said the queen.
Familjär stämning när Silvia träffade påven - DN.SE
Old 04-28-2015, 01:18 AM
Majesty

Victoria was sooo beautiful in those photos!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

The queen, secretary-general Ban Ki-moon and minister Åsa Regnér before the dinner at the swedish embassy yesterday evening.
http://www.epa.eu/thumb.php/51907602...hQyOoZ3x8-uyKa
http://www.epa.eu/thumb.php/51907586...Syesb3B0N7IqU~
http://www.epa.eu/thumb.php/51907585...YU7cyM7w9DDSKk
http://www.epa.eu/thumb.php/51907587...YU7cyM7w9D6SKm
http://www.unmultimedia.org/photo/de...fer:629/629688
Old 04-28-2015, 03:17 AM
Majesty

the pope seems to have told silvia to "pray for him". what a great sign of humility and of the importance he gives to his role. what a great pope the world has. :)

i liked that silvia greeted him in spanish. does anyone know how good her spanish is? is it at conversational level?

i loved seeing leonore, but i was slightly confused. is it really protocolar to bring a baby to an audience with the pope? it doesn't strike me as a very child friendly event, and even think that it rests importance to the real cause why they were there, which was human trafficking.

that being said, thumbs up to madeleine for curtsying so low, whilst heavily pregnant and carrying a baby!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-28-2015, 03:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i liked that silvia greeted him in spanish. does anyone know how good her spanish is? is it at conversational level?
At this article I posted yesterday the Vatican Radio tells "Although a Swedish interpreter was present, the two spoke mostly in Spanish, which the Queen speaks fluently. In fact, Queen Silvia at one time worked at the Argentine Consulate in Munich."
Pope Francis meets Queen Silvia of Sweden Vatican Radio
Old 04-28-2015, 05:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
thank you so much
Old 04-28-2015, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I read in one of the articles about the meeting that there was a Swedish interpreter present who wasn't needed since Queen Silvia is fluent in Spanish. Apparently she even worked at the Argentinian consulate in Munich for some time.

Yes, she did. She studied spanish at university and then worked in south america too. I was wondering if the interpreter was needed more for the talk with Madeleine and Chris since the pope doesn't speak english But it seems Chris was heard speak German
Old 04-28-2015, 07:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Completely charmed and impressed seing pictures of the Pope , the Queen of sweden and her granddaughter.

I thought this was unbelievable with Vatican's terrible protocole !

Thanks to the Royal Famly of Sweden for their unforgettable Visit to the Pope.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Gallery from the Vatican Press service. At the queen's entourage I recognize:
Åsa Regnér, the Minister for Children, the Elderly and Gender Equality
http://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/FRA...8_27042015.jpg
Lars-Hjalmar Wide, Ambassador of Sweden to the Holy See
Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, the First Lady of the Court
http://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/FRA...6_27042015.jpg
Margareta Thorgen, the Director of the Press department
http://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/FRA...3_27042015.jpg
Elisabeth Zimmermann, Victoria's nanny and Estelle's first nanny, who was there to take care of Leonore
Elisabeth and Leonore
http://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/FRA...4_27042015.jpg

Also the reporters of Svensk Damtidning and Expressen plus the photographers are at the gallery.

The whole gallery
SUA MAESTA' REGINA SILVIA DI SVEZIA
Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Royal Highness

Marvelous photos of the visit of the Swedish Royals to Pope Francis. This man is so wonderful, humble and humane, I am sure the Family were full of good vibrations.Lovely little Leonore, such a delightful child, beautiful Madeleine and her husband obviously moved by the visit and the charming Queen.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Majesty

First of all, there is nothing unusual about bringing a baby to a papal audience. Guillaume of Luxembourg was presented to St. John Paul II when he was about Leonore's age. The pope kissed his forehead and blessed him.

Second, all recent popes...Benedect XVI, St. John Paul II, John Paul I, Paul VI...all of them asked for the prayers of the faithful. Both John Paul II and Benedict XVI also doted upon and kissed children who were presented to them.

I am of convinced of Francis's humility as everyone else, but he is not unusual for doing these things!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Yes, she did. She studied spanish at university and then worked in south america too. I was wondering if the interpreter was needed more for the talk with Madeleine and Chris since the pope doesn't speak english But it seems Chris was heard speak German
I didn't know Chris spoke German although I can't see him speaking in any of the video clips. Madeleine is speaking English as she can be heard saying, "Be careful" to Leonore.

Silvia can speak 6 languages can she not? I think it's great that so many of the other royal families can speak many languages.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I didn't know Chris spoke German although I can't see him speaking in any of the video clips. Madeleine is speaking English as she can be heard saying, "Be careful" to Leonore.

Silvia can speak 6 languages can she not? I think it's great that so many of the other royal families can speak many languages.
Yep It's not the first time I read Chris can speak German...I often read he is quite fluent
Old 04-28-2015, 11:07 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine & Family Visit to Rome, Italy: April 26-2...

Chris is fluent in German, his mother is Austrian so I am even assuming he speaks German with his mother and is therefore a native speaker.

With all the events in Rome - I still wonder what Madeleine's role is. She did not join the meetings the day before, she did not join the Queens one-on-one with the Pope. She did not join the dinner with Ban-Ki-Moon. What's her role, besides sitting next to her mom and smiling? If she is serious about creating a position for herself as part of the SRF, she needs to be more on the foreground and claim a role for herself. Even Sofia is doing the latter quite effectively IMHO.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissRoyal View Post
With all the events in Rome - I still wonder what Madeleine's role is. She did not join the meetings the day before, she did not join the Queens one-on-one with the Pope. She did not join the dinner with Ban-Ki-Moon. What's her role, besides sitting next to her mom and smiling? If she is serious about creating a position for herself as part of the SRF, she needs to be more on the foreground and claim a role for herself. Even Sofia is doing the latter quite effectively IMHO.
I've had the same thoughts. I can give Madeleine a pass on the dinner since she's quite heavily pregnant. But was the meeting with the pope the only thing she did? She managed to travel to Rome, so a couple of hours of seminars the day before would have been a good idea.

We never see her on the bread and butter events that the rest of the Royal family (now also including Carl Philip) does. She just pops up now and then when it suits her. I think that the only reason she, along with Chris and Leonore, took this trip was that Chris is a catholic. Meeting the pope is a big thing for him, just like having his child blessed by the pope. And it's good PR for the family as a whole, in some aspects.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

From minister Regnér's Facebook
https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...b1&oe=55C7C0F2
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...856133bf612666