Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine & Family Visit to Rome, Italy: April 26-27, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have tried to find a clear photo of the clasp of Madeleines necklace.
Have you seen any?

I really like the fact that they went formal. Leonore is a very cute and well-behaved little Princess. :wub:

What a lovely visit must have been for Leonore! I knew it that the Pope would put at ease the family ,and most of all, would play and be sweet with the little girl... He is charming with children!:flowers::wub:

At first I thought it was a little strange that Leonore attended, but then I read that Chris is Catholic (which I didn't realise beforehand), so now her attendance makes more sense. It's lovely that they brought her along. Have any other royal children (past or present) been "presented" to the Pope?

I couldn't help but notice that Chris still looks a little uncomfortable. I think he looks comfortable in informal settings, such as in the Aret Med Kungafamiljen clip of him with Madeleine and Leonore in one of the Palaces' gardens, but in official/formal occasions such as this he often appears as uncomfortable IMO. Perhaps on this occasion though, he was a little nervous as he was meeting the Pope, which I can imagine would be a very important event for him.

What a lovely visit must have been for Leonore! I knew it that the Pope would put at ease the family ,and most of all, would play and be sweet with the little girl... He is charming with children!:flowers::wub:

I agree, Pope Francis seems to be excellent with children and I loved the photos of him with little Leonore.

I agree, Pope Francis seems to be excellent with children and I loved the photos of him with little Leonore.

Do you know if they communicated in english btw ? As far as I know the Pope doesn't speak english very well. ( I remember he had an interpreter when Queen Elizabet met with him)

At first I thought it was a little strange that Leonore attended, but then I read that Chris is Catholic (which I didn't realise beforehand), so now her attendance makes more sense. It's lovely that they brought her along. Have any other royal children (past or present) been "presented" to the Pope?
Madeleine met the Pope when she was younger along with her siblings.
The Spanish children met him in 2011.
Same with the Jordan Royals in 2009.

Marty91charmed, Sarahbellar has posted a video a few posts above and she mentions that Chris spoke in German and Silvia in Spanish, so I can imagine that those were the languages that were mostly spoken between the royals and the Pope today. :flowers:

Sarahbellar, thank you for the information. It's interesting that the Jordanian Royals met the Pope. Cute to hear that Madeleine met him when she was little with Victoria and Carl Philip, too. :)

(Suddenly I can't quote posts which explains the format I'm using!)

Do you know if they communicated in english btw ? As far as I know the Pope doesn't speak english very well. ( I remember he had an interpreter when Queen Elizabeth met with him)

I saw an interpreter when Queen Silvia met with him privately but she also greeted him in Spanish and they exchanged pleasantries in Spanish.

Do you know if they communicated in english btw ? As far as I know the Pope doesn't speak english very well. ( I remember he had an interpreter when Queen Elizabet met with him)

I saw an interpreter when Queen Silvia met with him privately but she also greeted him in Spanish and they exchanged pleasantries in Spanish.

Marty91charmed, Sarahbellar has posted a video a few posts above and she mentions that Chris spoke in German and Silvia in Spanish, so I can imagine that those were the languages that were mostly spoken between the royals and the Pope today. :flowers:

Sarahbellar, thank you for the information. It's interesting that the Jordanian Royals met the Pope. Cute to hear that Madeleine met him when she was little with Victoria and Carl Philip, too. :)

(Suddenly I can't quote posts which explains the format I'm using!)

I read in one of the articles about the meeting that there was a Swedish interpreter present who wasn't needed since Queen Silvia is fluent in Spanish. Apparently she even worked at the Argentinian consulate in Munich for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I couldn't help but notice that Chris still looks a little uncomfortable. I think he looks comfortable in informal settings, such as in the Aret Med Kungafamiljen clip of him with Madeleine and Leonore in one of the Palaces' gardens, but in official/formal occasions such as this he often appears as uncomfortable IMO. Perhaps on this occasion though, he was a little nervous as he was meeting the Pope, which I can imagine would be a very important event for him.

Most if not all Catholic Royal children are presented to the Pope at some point. There are charming photos of the children of Henri and Maria-Teresa of Luxembourg kneeling to receive the blessing of Pope St. John Paul II at the Vatican when they were young. I've also seen one of Charles-Philippe d'Orleans at the Vatican when he was about ten. I think he was confirmed by John Paul II.

Since Chris O'Neill was raised Catholic he might have been a bit more tense and a little more awed to actually be at the Vatican than his wife and mother-in-law.

Madeleine looked radiant and beautiful. Leonore is just adorable, and the pope seemed smitten with her.

Last edited:
That video of leonore giving the pope her key chain or whatever it was in her mouth when she was on Silvia lap and then taking it back was charming! It would be very nice to have the pope kiss your child.
Chris looks uncomfortable but he is not used to being photographed. Most of us would look uncomfortable too. Looking natural on camera is a skill which takes practice and ability

Leonore was keen to have something in her mouth during the entire audience...her medallion, her mummy's pearls at one point.

I wonder if she is teething now?

Madeleine met the Pope when she was younger along with her siblings.
The Spanish children met him in 2011.
Same with the Jordan Royals in 2009.

The first photo is from the audience in Vatican in 1991. The swedish royal children had met the pope already in 8th June 1989 when the pope visited Sweden.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
The king, queen and Victoria had an audience with the Pope in Vatican in November 1999.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
On that visit they also attended at a mass in Vatican.
https://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010060011K1430194284514927

Queen Silvia invited the Pope to visit Sweden.
- He said that he would like to come. The Pope has always admired Sweden because we have received so many refugees, said the queen.
Familjär stämning när Silvia träffade påven - DN.SE

The queen, secretary-general Ban Ki-moon and minister Åsa Regnér before the dinner at the swedish embassy yesterday evening.
https://www.epa.eu/thumb.php/519076...fkDoihaNEdC7ybNxUiX3h3SNWtqb6KehQyOoZ3x8-uyKa
https://www.epa.eu/thumb.php/519075...RI5HCQSKiSzwbNzViX3lzT42taX4KOlSyesb3B0N7IqU~
https://www.epa.eu/thumb.php/519075...JFLVWOEpE9Iln66equSu8e6TKztZuCiYU7cyM7w9DDSKk
https://www.epa.eu/thumb.php/519075...JFLVWOEpE9Iln66equSu8e6TKztZuCiYU7cyM7w9D6SKm
https://www.unmultimedia.org/photo/detail.jsp?query=identifer:629/629688

Gallery from the Vatican Press service. At the queen's entourage I recognize:
Åsa Regnér, the Minister for Children, the Elderly and Gender Equality
https://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/F...A/content/bin/images/large/00618_27042015.jpg
Lars-Hjalmar Wide, Ambassador of Sweden to the Holy See
https://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/F...A/content/bin/images/large/00598_27042015.jpg
Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, the First Lady of the Court
https://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/F...A/content/bin/images/large/00626_27042015.jpg
Margareta Thorgen, the Director of the Press department
https://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/F...A/content/bin/images/large/00663_27042015.jpg
Elisabeth Zimmermann, Victoria's nanny and Estelle's first nanny, who was there to take care of Leonore
https://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/F...A/content/bin/images/large/00718_27042015.jpg
Elisabeth and Leonore
https://www.photovat.com/PHOTOVAT/F...A/content/bin/images/large/00884_27042015.jpg

Also the reporters of Svensk Damtidning and Expressen plus the photographers are at the gallery.

The whole gallery
SUA MAESTA' REGINA SILVIA DI SVEZIA

From minister Regnér's Facebook
https://scontent-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=e8ee6e2b7f12a7c7509ea6cdb971b7b1&oe=55C7C0F2
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd...._=1440762209_dea7e7b48119b1c8f3856133bf612666

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria was sooo beautiful in those photos!:whistling:

the pope seems to have told silvia to "pray for him". what a great sign of humility and of the importance he gives to his role. what a great pope the world has. :)

i liked that silvia greeted him in spanish. does anyone know how good her spanish is? is it at conversational level?

i loved seeing leonore, but i was slightly confused. is it really protocolar to bring a baby to an audience with the pope? it doesn't strike me as a very child friendly event, and even think that it rests importance to the real cause why they were there, which was human trafficking.

that being said, thumbs up to madeleine for curtsying so low, whilst heavily pregnant and carrying a baby!

i liked that silvia greeted him in spanish. does anyone know how good her spanish is? is it at conversational level?

At this article I posted yesterday the Vatican Radio tells "Although a Swedish interpreter was present, the two spoke mostly in Spanish, which the Queen speaks fluently. In fact, Queen Silvia at one time worked at the Argentine Consulate in Munich."
Pope Francis meets Queen Silvia of Sweden Vatican Radio

I read in one of the articles about the meeting that there was a Swedish interpreter present who wasn't needed since Queen Silvia is fluent in Spanish. Apparently she even worked at the Argentinian consulate in Munich for some time.

Yes, she did. She studied spanish at university and then worked in south america too. I was wondering if the interpreter was needed more for the talk with Madeleine and Chris since the pope doesn't speak english:flowers: But it seems Chris was heard speak German :lol:

Completely charmed and impressed seing pictures of the Pope , the Queen of sweden and her granddaughter.

I thought this was unbelievable with Vatican's terrible protocole !

Thanks to the Royal Famly of Sweden for their unforgettable Visit to the Pope.

Marvelous photos of the visit of the Swedish Royals to Pope Francis. This man is so wonderful, humble and humane, I am sure the Family were full of good vibrations.Lovely little Leonore, such a delightful child, beautiful Madeleine and her husband obviously moved by the visit and the charming Queen.

First of all, there is nothing unusual about bringing a baby to a papal audience. Guillaume of Luxembourg was presented to St. John Paul II when he was about Leonore's age. The pope kissed his forehead and blessed him.

Second, all recent popes...Benedect XVI, St. John Paul II, John Paul I, Paul VI...all of them asked for the prayers of the faithful. Both John Paul II and Benedict XVI also doted upon and kissed children who were presented to them.

I am of convinced of Francis's humility as everyone else, but he is not unusual for doing these things!:cool:

Yes, she did. She studied spanish at university and then worked in south america too. I was wondering if the interpreter was needed more for the talk with Madeleine and Chris since the pope doesn't speak english:flowers: But it seems Chris was heard speak German :lol:

I didn't know Chris spoke German although I can't see him speaking in any of the video clips. Madeleine is speaking English as she can be heard saying, "Be careful" to Leonore.

Silvia can speak 6 languages can she not? I think it's great that so many of the other royal families can speak many languages.

I didn't know Chris spoke German although I can't see him speaking in any of the video clips. Madeleine is speaking English as she can be heard saying, "Be careful" to Leonore.

Silvia can speak 6 languages can she not? I think it's great that so many of the other royal families can speak many languages.

Yep:flowers: It's not the first time I read Chris can speak German...I often read he is quite fluent :flowers:

Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine & Family Visit to Rome, Italy: April 26-2...

Chris is fluent in German, his mother is Austrian so I am even assuming he speaks German with his mother and is therefore a native speaker.

With all the events in Rome - I still wonder what Madeleine's role is. She did not join the meetings the day before, she did not join the Queens one-on-one with the Pope. She did not join the dinner with Ban-Ki-Moon. What's her role, besides sitting next to her mom and smiling? If she is serious about creating a position for herself as part of the SRF, she needs to be more on the foreground and claim a role for herself. Even Sofia is doing the latter quite effectively IMHO.

With all the events in Rome - I still wonder what Madeleine's role is. She did not join the meetings the day before, she did not join the Queens one-on-one with the Pope. She did not join the dinner with Ban-Ki-Moon. What's her role, besides sitting next to her mom and smiling? If she is serious about creating a position for herself as part of the SRF, she needs to be more on the foreground and claim a role for herself. Even Sofia is doing the latter quite effectively IMHO.

I've had the same thoughts. I can give Madeleine a pass on the dinner since she's quite heavily pregnant. But was the meeting with the pope the only thing she did? She managed to travel to Rome, so a couple of hours of seminars the day before would have been a good idea.

We never see her on the bread and butter events that the rest of the Royal family (now also including Carl Philip) does. She just pops up now and then when it suits her. I think that the only reason she, along with Chris and Leonore, took this trip was that Chris is a catholic. Meeting the pope is a big thing for him, just like having his child blessed by the pope. And it's good PR for the family as a whole, in some aspects.

Chris is fluent in German, his mother is Austrian so I am even assuming he speaks German with his mother and is therefore a native speaker.

Only the Queen had been granted a one-on-one audience with the pope where the issues of child abuse and Swedens response to the massive refugee problem Europe is facing at the moment.

The Queen and Princess Madeleine spoke to a few journalists yesterday,
here's an article with their comments by expressen:
https://translate.google.com/transl...pressen.se/nyheter/ska-vi-leka-sten-sax-pave/
''
What do you say? should we play rock paper pope?

''The meeting with the Pope was wonderful for the whole family, "says Princess Madeleine.
Her husband, Chris O'Neill was moved afterwards, but also little Leonore.
-She couldn't quite let go of his finger, "says Princess Madeleine.
very thing was set for yesterday's royal visit to the Vatican, and with both joy and blackness. During the morning's audience at the Apostolic Palace, Leonore, 14 months, stole the show and got both the Catholic head of the Church as well as grandmother Silvia to laugh when she held out a key ring which she had in her hand, and every time the Pope tried to receive it , she quickly pulled it back.

'' A very warm man''

The afternoon seminar on trafficking with a focus on children, was much more serious.
- Time after time we hear about children who are exploited. We are all here today, be sure to make our voices heard, urged the queen in her speech speech in the Swedish Research Council handsome house in the Vatican gardens, which was also attended by the minister for Children and the EldelryÅsa Regnér, and Attorney Anna Skarhed.

Afterwards Expressen met with Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine, who had both met with Pope Francis for the first time.
- I experienced him as a very warm man with a big heart, says the Queen. He gave an honest impression and took these issues seriously.
- We talked about the seminar and so we talked about the refugee situation in southern Italy. He expressed his great gratitude for what Sweden is doing in these issues, said the queen.

'Especially nice to meet the pope''

Now Madeleine is older than when she met the Pope the last time, she was seven years old, and then his name was John Paul II, but the princess remember it well:
- Yes. Even now, it is special to meet the Pope. When I was younger it felt like a long day, now it has gone by much faster, says Madeleine.
Your mother the queen said when we met yesterday, it was special to meet the Pope with three generations, her daughter and her granddaughter. What do you think about that?
- Absolutely, it was a very nice moment. I'm pleased that we could be with there as a family. She (Leonore) wanted to sit with Grandma ...
- As mother already said the Pope is a special person and I also believe that Leonore felt it. She behaved (thankfully) very well, but she knew enough that it was special.
- She could not quite let go of his finger, said the princess with a laugh and admits that the meeting might be of the highest importance for her husband.

Leonore liked the gift

Chris O'Neill, who is Catholic knelt and kissed the Pope's ring in the audience.
- It was very special, he was very, very moved.
I noted that the royal family had brought prayer books as gifts to the Pope, what did you get back?
- A very beautiful medal and a book he has written in German. I did not know he spoke German, says Queen Silvia and continues:
- One of the prayer books we wrote when the Crown Princess was born, a prayer book from Estelle and one the king and I did together, where the king has taken pictures of Öland. It's very nice.
There's no doubt Leonore liked her gift.
- She got a keychain with a small medal on which was very appreciated, says Madeleine.

Was it as good as it looked?

- Yes, haha.
When the princess is asked by a writer if it was an extra tough day "given the stomach," she answers quickly:
- No not the stomach but perhaps more due the subject. It is a subject that is important, one that we need to talk about.

Changed Shoes

When Expressen, met them again a moment later, we could not help but exclaim "respect" when Madeleine passes by, heavily pregnant with twelve inches high, stiletto heels, she laughs.
- Yes, it's a good day for them today.
Both the princess as well as Queen Silvia now look forward to welcoming the Pope to Sweden one day.
- It would be great fun. John Paul has been to Stockholm, and he expressed that he wanted to come. He likes Sweden.
- He received an invitation, recognizes the queen.''

here's what they said to aftonbladet:
''
The pope met Sweden's Queen, Silvia, Princess Madeleine, Chris O'neill and Princess Leonore

'The visit was planned long ago', said Madeleine regarding why she missed her future sister-in law Sofia Hellqvist's bachelorette weekend.
- 'I was in London and then travelled to Rome. There was no room for a bridal shower', said the princess to Aftonbladet.

Queen Silvia of Sweden handed over a copy of Victoria's prayer book to the Pope and little Princess Leonore got a kiss on the top of her head in thanks.
Leonore, who in June will be big sister, was the only one in the Swedish-British company that did not wear black. Dressed in a white dress, she patiently received the Papal kiss.

Great experience meeting the pope

At the seminar on trafficking yesterday afternoon the Queen said :
– When I founded World Childhood Foundation 16 years ago, I had the idea that it was a pretty uncontroversial action to support the most vulnerable and disadvantaged children.
– In the debate that followed, I was struck by the fact that many put the rights of adults over children.
Missionary sister Eugenia Bonetti said during the seminar on trafficking of her experience from 24 years of work in Africa-and of 'Slaves no more' that she founded. It has helped over 6,000 young women start a new life after years of humiliation as prostitutes.
Later the Queen declared to Aftonbladet:
– There was a common thread between the conversation I had with the Holy Father Francis in the morning and discussion later in the workshop. It's a great experience to meet the Pope. He gives the impression that it was a man who means what he says and promises.

''Its been a tough one''
A happy Princess Madeleine came afterwards out of the seminar.
Holding lightly onto her 7 month belly.
- Sure, there has been pain - but I feel in great shape and can handle this, ' she said to Aftonbladet.
At The Vatican there was also Attorney General Anna Skarhed, child-and gender equality minister Åsa Régner and professor Martin Ingvar of the Karolinska Institute. The Royal Family's visit to Rome ended with a dinner at the Swedish Embassy, where UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon was also in attendance.''

www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article20700702.ab - Translator

from svenskdam:

''
Madeleine: it was a nice moment
Both Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine were very happy and excited about meeting Pope Francis yesterday morning. Queen Silvia got a twenty minute private chat with the Holy Father on the difficult subject of trafficking, as even he is passionate about it. and Princess Madeleine could say that Princess Leonores behaviour was excellent for the most part.
''The Papal meeting went well '' said Madeleine
The Pope is a very special person and I think even Leonore felt it, she behaved thankfully very well, says Princess Madeleine to Swedish Women's Weekly, which was in place at the Vatican.

However Leonore teased the Pope by stretching out a small key ring given to her by him, and the next moment quickly pulling it back when he tried to take it. Then she took the Pope's finger and refused to release it for a long while.
- She loves you, 'said the Princess Madeleine in English to the Pope.

The Pope laughed, and it was noticeable that he is very fond of children. For Chris, who is Catholic, the meeting was also very special, says the princess. He knelt and kissed the Pope's ring.''

Google Translate

[...] With all the events in Rome - I still wonder what Madeleine's role is. She did not join the meetings the day before, she did not join the Queens one-on-one with the Pope. She did not join the dinner with Ban-Ki-Moon. What's her role, besides sitting next to her mom and smiling? [...]

Most likely the Princess saw it as a golden opportunity to meet the Pope in a private audience, ask him for his blessing to rest upon her (Catholic) spouse and their baby. It is very rare to be allowed a private audience with the Pope. Note that also other royals have taken their children to the Pope:

The Duke of Parma visiting the Pope, with his children Prince Carlos (the present Duke), Princess Margarita, Prince Jaime (the present Netherlands Ambassador at the Holy See) and Princess María Carolina with him. See: http://gpdhome.typepad.com/photos/irene_67/recepcion_papa.jpg

Maria Vladimirovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia visiting the Pope with her son Georgiy Mikhailovich Romanov, Grand-Prince of Russia, Prince of Prussia with her. See: http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rome.jpg

The Grand-Duke of Luxembourg visiting the Pope. He took his family with him. Here a nice photo with his daughter Princess Alexandra. See: http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/57...+Yzdgli7gAw2lzGsD1O7IyIeGgpw5lpevPlBMM1RBFQ==

So it is not extraordinary that Princess Madeleine and her family joined heer mother...

:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom