Princess Birgitta and Family, Current Events Part 1: December 2002 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Birgitta can't attend at the funeral of her very good, old friend Barbro "Lill-Babs" Svensson next week. But she attends at Adrienne's christening.
When Svensk Damtidning called Birgitta to ask her if she would attend her close friend Barbro "Lill-Babs" Svensson's funeral next week, she replied:
- No, unfortunately, I can not. But she's always in my mind. I have already thanked yes to the christening which is at the Palace a week later. I can not go back and forth.
Prinsessan Birgitta kommer till Adriennes dop! _ Svensk Damtidning

I'm really surprised about this. Birgitta has in many interviews told how close friends she and Lill-Babs were for 50 years. Can't she stay in Sweden for two weeks? The funeral is on next Monday 28th May.

Princess Birgitta has given an interview to Vanity Fair Spain
- For me, being a princess and sister of a king is normal. Maybe it's because of my personality, but I've never given it more importance. I try to behave well with everyone and people respond in the same way. They accept me and they love me because I am the first to respect and love.
At this time in Sweden, the royal family is very respected, but this is not always the case ...
- Yes, in Sweden everything is in order. The king is giving a very modern image of the country. It goes with the times. You can not be stiff, obtuse and not embrace modern times. The changes are there and you have to accept them.
Perhaps that is why the surviving European monarchies are in very modern and socially developed countries ...
- Maintaining the monarchy is difficult in these times. You have to understand that today you do not have the authority and decision power then before. The royals represent their country in the best way and have no other power of decision or control over people than that, that of representation. Today, people have more freedom of decision ... and also of criticism.
In Spain we live a complicated situation ...
- I know the situation. It is a complicated issue and you shall understand that I do not feel comfortable talking about it. It is a situation that must be treated with great delicacy.
The Princess Birgitta Golf Tournament in Santa Ponça is also a great event thanks to its support and presence.
- We have been celebrating it for 27 years. I am passionate about golf. I play everyday. It was also Olga's idea. She told me that that passion that I felt had to be transformed into a tournament that over the years has become a success. If it's good for Mallorca, I'll never say no to anything. I would like this interview to be a public tribute to Olga because, as you can see, she has been the inspiration for many of my actions. It has been very important in my life.
You were born the daughter of the crown prince, but he died when you were very young. How did the change affect you?
- It was horrible. A real disaster I remember every minute what happened. That afternoon of the plane crash I will never forget it and from that moment everything changed. It happens in all families when there is a tragedy of these characteristics.
Did he live it as a normal family? Is it a happy family?
- Absolutely. We are four older sisters and the king who was an eight month old baby when our father died. When we five siblings meet in Stockholm, it is wonderful, endearing. We are all alive, healthy, it is something big. We love each other very much. For me, the king and my sisters are very important and I speak frequently with them.
Does your brother envy you, at least when it comes to freedom?
- It is very possible. People see the ceremonies, the beauty of the monarchies, the jewels and the parties, but that's not all. The Crown weighs a lot. Each ceremony, each jewel that we show, each gesture represent a moment of the past that we are perpetuating. We must never forget the past because the future is built on it. It's the beautiful, perpetuate it, show it to the public. That is our job. It is not always easy.
What do you think of Don Felipe as king?
- He is a good king. In Spain you have to support the monarchy and more in these moments in which you are being attacked so much. It affects us all. He does a great job representing the country and symbolizing its unity, and so did Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía. That is the really important thing.
The whole interview
Birgitta de Suecia_ _Todo lo malo que ocurra en una monarquía europea afecta a las demás_
Translation

The XXVIIth edition of the traditional Trofeo S.A.R. Princesa Birgitta de Suecia Golf Tournament was held on 6-8th September at Club de Golf Santa Ponsa in Mallorca.
On 5th September was the official practice day and a Cocktail Party hosted by/at Hotel Pure Salt Port Adriano.
On 6th September was the first day of the tournament
On 7th September was the second day of the tournament and Barbacue at Santa Ponsa II hosted by Ön Livet Pa Mallorca, Remax Jumbo Calas y Máxim Confort
On 8th September was the third day of the tournament and Awards Dinner at Hotel Golf Santa Ponsa I.
http://www.golf-santaponsa.com/doc/4b995676c6f19776fe090eec83079c511b844517.pdf

Photos from Golf Santa Ponsa Facebook
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=fd1174f14ca7828b71e5ba5179d5c933&oe=5C27E02C
The Awards Dinner
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=4a165cdc24e9c7a75c1c388f9823898a&oe=5C349D57
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a8a0290bd1f40c1dd2af85fe7e0ddade&oe=5C2F03E9
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=bf81800ce3dba97082fd59413c3857b4&oe=5C34DB1A
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=f890675b461b592cce7807e3f6ce83be&oe=5BF26A5D

One more photo of princess Birgitta during her Trofeo S.A.R. Princesa Birgitta de Suecia Golf Tournament.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnby2rUlozT/?tagged=prinsessanbirgitta

Last edited by a moderator:
Kungliga Magasinet's articles about princess Birgitta's life and her children at their latest issue.
Prince Carl Christian av Hohenzollern (born 5th April 1962) married in 1999 Nicole Neschitsch and they have a son, prince Nicolas (born 1999). Carl Christian works at a company that produces equipment to motion pictures.
Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach (born 27th December 1963) was first married with count Heinrich zu Ortenburg (1990-2002), they have children count Carl Theodor (born 1992), count Fredrik Hubertus (born 1995) and countess Carolina (born 1997). Désirée got married in 2004 with Eckbert von Bohlen und Halbach.
Prince Hubertus av Hohenzollern (born 10th June 1966) married Uta König in 2000. They got a son, prince Lennart, in 2001, tragically he died only four days later. The couple have an adopted daugher Vivianne (born in 2009). Hubertus works at the same company than his brother Carl Christian.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Princess Birgitta watched the finals of Legends Cup Palma tennis tournament on 7th October at Bjurfors' VIP box.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Boo1lVrhfsN/?tagged=princessbirgitta

Princess Birgitta attended at 1,6 miljonerklubben's 20th anniversary celebrations at Grand Hotel in Stockholm on 16th November.

Birgitta and the club founder Alexandra Charles delivered Hälsopriset (the Health Prize) received by Carina Nunstredt publisher at Harper Collins instead of Maria Borrelius who could not attend.

The 1.6 Million Club is a non-profit women's health organization that was founded in 1998 by Alexandra Charles, president ever since. She was inspired by the cardiologist, Karin Schenck-Gustafsson, and gynaecology professor, Britt-Marie Landgren, who could both tell of just how male-dominated the field of research was, and how women were discriminated against within the health care sector. With the purpose of improving and creating equal research and healthcare, and in order to spread objective information, the 1.6 Million Club was established. The name came about because at the time, there were 1.6 million women over 45 years of age in Sweden.
Ten years later, the 2.6 Million Club was established for younger women, from 25 years and upwards. The 1.6 and 2.6 Million Clubs share the same objective, and anybody over the age of 18 is welcome as a member in the association (including men).

Here is more photos of Birgitta at 1,6 miljonerklubben's 20th anniversary celebrations on 16th November.
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/dsc_01153.jpg?w=1200
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/dsc_00641.jpg?w=1200
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/dsc_00624.jpg?w=1200
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/dsc_01611.jpg?w=1200
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/dsc_01712.jpg?w=1200
https://cawamedia.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/dsc_01721.jpg?w=1200

Princess Birgitta attended on 18th November at Jontefondsgalan held at Clarion Post Hotel in Gothenburg. Over SEK 1,8 million were collected to Jontefonden. Jontefonden is a foundation for children and young people who are waiting for a transplant or have completed a transplant operation, and their siblings. The foundation's goal is to increase the quality of life, create joy and put the gold lining in an otherwise difficult situation. The foundation has been named after Jonathan Ivarsson who, due to lung fibrosis, needed a lung transplant.

Svensk Damtidning's article about princess Birgitta and her life, on her 82nd birthday:
Grattis prinsessan Birgitta – Hagasessan som går sin egen väg! _ Svensk Damtidning

Princess Birgitta was yesterday at the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences in Stockholm, at an event celebrating the Chinese New Year.
"We also loved the fact that Princess Birgitta of Sweden shared her fascination with 'China speed' with tonnes of enthusiasm."
Photo of Birgitta and short video of her speaking
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtQWKOXBoXp/

Princess Birgitta was yesterday at the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences in Stockholm, at an event celebrating the Chinese New Year.
"We also loved the fact that Princess Birgitta of Sweden shared her fascination with 'China speed' with tonnes of enthusiasm."
Photo of Birgitta and short video of her speaking
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtQWKOXBoXp/
People have a tendency to go after Birgitta because of her looks, but to me she seems like a fun, sweet person that I'd love to sit next to at a dinner.

People have a tendency to go after Birgitta because of her looks, but to me she seems like a fun, sweet person that I'd love to sit next to at a dinner.

I would also love to have dinner with Birgitta, she is one of my favourite royals.

She may be 82 years old, but Princess Birgitta is still very physically active.
Every morning at 11am she arrives at the golf club Santa Ponsa in Mallorca to play an 18-hole course.
Caddy or golf cart she does not want to know about, but then the princess is also a trained gymnastics director.
Today, it is "only" thirteen degrees warm, but the sun shines over the dazzling golf resort located in southwestern Mallorca, just 25 minutes by car from Palma, and the Puig de Galatzó mountain glimpse into the background.
- Princess Birgitta and her friends have just arrived and ordered a cup of coffee with sugar in order to calm their nerves before the four-to-five-hour golf round, says a Santa Ponsa employee.
He promises to ask the princess if she has time to talk for a while on the phone with Expressen, but Princess Birgitta tells him she is keen to get out on the golf course as soon as possible.
Princess Birgitta is a familiar face at the golf club
She is an honorary member of Santa Ponsa and gladly walks around and praises players who make perfect puts or beaten nice strokes. The princess is also often seen helping to find balls in the cuff.
Many here certainly know that she is a princess, but Birgitta has told how much she appreciates to avoid the strutting and fawning that she often experienced at home in Sweden before she left the country as a 24-year-old.
Prinsessan Birgittas hälsoknep_ Så håller hon sig alert
Translation

Princess Birgitta has given an interview to Expressen at Santa Ponsa. It is a paywall article but when I put it to translator I could read it.

Princess Birgitta: He doesn't understand me
She left Sweden and the Royal Palace already as a 24-year-old for a life outside "the golden cage".
Ahead of her annual golf competition, Princess Birgitta talks about the strict upbringing, the regret about how she and her siblings treated mom, missing close friend Lill-Babs, and why it is a pity that no more in the royal family goes their own way.

In the prize cupboard at the Santa Ponsa Golf Club there is also a blue-yellow ice hockey helmet. The goalie mask with guard grille is a gift from their honorary member Princess Birgitta.
It's a joke. The princess got the helmet from her friends. During a golf round, she hit the ball straight into a wall and the ball bounced so unluckily that it hit the princess on her nose and she began to bleed vigorously.
- My friends joked and said "We thought you had blue blood", says Princess Birgitta, laughing.
Birgitta, daughter of Prince Gustaf Adolf who died in an airplane accident when she was only ten years old, is not your ordinary princess.
She is known as one of the four Haga princesses, but is reluctant to be called a princess. She wants to be "duad", something that is otherwise not customary when talking to royalty.
The king's sport-interested big sister chose early to go her own way. She preferred sports halls rather than state visits.
She couldn't become a masseur, it was not considered appropriate, but at least she got to train as director of gymnastics at the Gymnastiska Centralinstitutet.
- That was the dream because I got to live everything I wanted. I got to practice sports and be with, as I say, normal people. And they didn't treat me like a princess, but I was one of them. It was brand new to me.
How did it feel the first time?
- Great! I've always loved being with those people, rather than the ones up there with their noses in the air. No, that's not my thing. I simply went my own way.
Was it a difficult step to take?
- No. I do what I want to do. And I haven't done anything wrong. On the contrary!
Can you be an example to others in that way? For the Crown Princess and other princes and princesses, it may be important that there was someone before who dared to go her own way. It will be easier for them then.
- Yes. It's done. But I had no such duties as Victoria. We were far away in the order to the throne so we were not that important at that time.
But Prince Carl-Philip…
- Yes, he also does exactly what he wants, with his design and all this. I think it's fantastic.
So you've probably helped?
- Yes, I've been a bit of a pioneer. For example, I drove my own car right away. At 18 years, a car! My first car was an MG, a small, just a two seater. It was white with red leather in it. There was only one in Stockholm. Everyone knew where I was, so maybe it wasn't always good. I couldn't hide with that car.
Were you a little awkward?
- Absolutely! I have lived a wonderful life. I haven't regretted anything, absolutely not, and I have not done too little of anything.
It must be easier to be royal today than when you were growing up? It was more strict when you were young?
- Yes, God yes! We couldn't do anything! I hadn't been to a restaurant, a disco or anything before I got married. I was just at home. I couldn't even talk on the phone. Nothing.
Did you long for discos?
- Yes! It was like living in a golden cage. But we didn't suffer because we knew nothing else. What you don't know, you don't miss.
- But it was a little hard when we couldn't go out with our friends and not go to the cinema as we wanted. We should always have a governess with us. They were sitting in the room next door when we had dance school and such stupid stuff. Our governess picked us up at school and we went home with her.
Was it difficult to meet boys then?
- Yes, that's what the disaster was! It didn't work at all.
It's hard to understand how strict it was?
- No one can understand. I hardly understand myself that I have lived such a life! But thinking about it now is fantastic at the same time. No human being has experienced what we have experienced. Now that is what it was then at the Court and at the Palace with my grandfather, old King Gustav V. But there were times that will never come back and we have experienced that. It is fantastic!
- But it was so strict maybe that is why I enjoy my life so much.
Is this also the reason why you are so popular in Sweden?
- Yes, I think so. And so I'm always kind and happy. I'm not like my brother who is ...
- I talk to everyone and people appreciate it. I meet so many Swedes here and also young people. I don't understand how they recognize me! And I talk to everyone and they are so happy and nice. Nothing is better than that. You are well-liked if you give a little and not just sit there with your nose in the air and think that you are fine. It's not possible.
Why do you think your brother, the king, is not the same? Is it because he has more obligations?
- Yes, he is the king after all. You have to keep a certain distance, you should too. I'm just open, friendly and myself. And it goes home!
Are you surprised that no more in the royal family have taken the same steps as you have done?
- Yes, I think it's a bit of a shame. But they don't have the same attitude as I do. This is natural to me. We have the same upbringing and genes, but we develop in different directions. I don't know, but I think what I have done is right and I am happy with my life.
- I talked to my daughter yesterday about what happiness really is. It is not so easy to define. I think it is that you feel good about yourself. And don't want more of everything all the time.
Is The Crown Princess like you?
- Yes, she's open! She definitely has no nose in the air. But she must also keep a limit. And I think it should be a small limit. It has to be.
- We might be a bit alike. She is wonderful. She's a dream. She is definitely the best Sweden can get! But all my siblings are nice.
Do your nephews and nieces ever ask you what it was like when you were growing up?
- No, but my brother does. He hasn't experienced everything. The worst thing was that our dad died so early. Of course, this was the disaster of our lives and when we meet, we five, then we just talk about old times. He asks and asks "How was it?" He has not experienced what we have experienced. He is ten years younger than I am and he was eight months old when Dad died. Christina was three years old. She also has no memories. So that's why we always talk about old memories. They want to hear what it was like.
- I think it's fantastic that we all five are still alive. It is not in all families that is so.
It is common when parents and older family members die that they regret not asking more questions when they were alive.
- Yes. And that you might not always be so kind. That was my problem when Mom died. She had her ideas and children have their ideas and she was strict and maybe didn't care enough about us, because she chose the duties before the family when dad died. But it was our upbringing and you lived as you did. It wasn't so easy for her or for us. Taking care of five children alone and the duties.
When you say you weren't good, do you mean you were just cheeky?
- Yes exactly. We all were. And we all regret it now when we come together and say "poor mom" and so on. But it is like for all children. And we've had a great time.
When Princess Birgitta was in Torekov recently, she had to write autographs and pose for photos. Young people who didn't grow up with the "Haga princesses" wanted to talk to her. And on the way home to Spain she was stopped by two Danes who also wanted an autograph. For the princess, who left Sweden as a 24-year-old, the response is astounding. She thinks it is important to show appreciation for your attention and love.
- I'm glad I did, but my brother doesn't, she says. I feel proud that they like me and want me. Then you will be happy?
Have you told your brother he should be happy?
- No, he doesn't understand me. He has raised his children just as stupidly so, against photographers and reporters.
- I want to be positive for my family and the royal house. That's the only thing I want to be. But I think as my friends here say, "Your brother doesn't understand the good you are doing". But I do as best I can and want to do everything good for my brother… the king. I always think of him. If anything, I think "My brother, my brother!". He is our boss. He is my little brother yes, but he is also the king for me.
Are you thinking “What is the boss going to say?"
- Absolutely. I think "Just don't hurt him in any way". There are so many little things. As in Torekov, the matter of smoking. I couldn't smoke anywhere, but a girl in a restaurant was so cute and said "I go out with you because over there you can smoke". I said, "I have to look for what if someone gets a photo and I stand there and smoke where it's forbidden". Directly I thought so.
If you can decide how the royal house should be in 25 years, how is it?
- As it is now. It's perfect now. Because it is more modernized. People want royal houses, but they want it to be modern. I think they do a fantastic job.
- I am so happy that I am part of that family for everyone is wonderful and we all love each other and we have never had any difficulties anywhere.

Last edited:
The interview/article continues

The director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren says in a comment to Expressen that "the king and his sister have a close and warm relationship".
She further states that the royal family also likes the public's positive reactions:
- The Royal Family greatly appreciates the good and fine response they encounter with the public during all their meetings and official missions.
At the same time, the royal family is working hard, and sometimes needs time to recover:
- We have a hard working royal family who always have people's eyes on them and stand in the limelight. During the summer months, it is therefore important that there is time for private time and recovery. Most media and even the Swedish people respect it. That's fine, says Thorgren.

Princess Birgitta tells that she recently visited friends in Skåne.
- It was freezing cold so there wasn't much golf, but we did other things instead in the rain and the wind. It was terrible. I thought: "Never again Sweden". And the worst was this smoking ban that has come. I smoke after all. No, now it is enough! It is freezing and you may not smoke. It's just fun when I say so of course, but it feels like when I come home and ... My God, I have paradise here, she says, pointing to the sun.
Health is important to Princess Birgitta. She plays 18 holes of golf with her German friends almost every day. She also supports the 1.6 million club and friend Alexandra Charles von Hofsten's works for women's health.
Her own health is good.
- But I'm getting older, I notice that. I can't cope as much as before. All my friends moan and stumble. I played with them yesterday. Everyone had something and I thought, my God how I'm doing well. Sometimes it hurts a little in my back, but nothing to care about. It's just being old. Everyone else has exchanged knees and hips. I'm the only one who dropped it. I am completely natural. Every new day I feel gratitude for it.
She lights another cigarette, but says it's an exception.
- When I'm home, I only smoke one cigarette a day and no alcohol. I don't understand drinking alone. Many who become lonely, ladies above all, start drinking. That's terrible. The combination of loneliness and alcohol is a disaster. When you don't do it yourself you can't believe that others do, but they do and it is tragic. On this island it is very dangerous for people to start drinking a lot. They start already in the morning because it's beautiful and the sun is shining, but it's deadly. It's too easy to get the alcohol. I have friends here who drink tremendously and I don't like it.
- That's why I get so angry with everyone who quarrels with us about this! she says, showing off her cigarette pack.
- But they can drink alcohol as much as possible. And it hurts their marriage and some get nasty and aggressive. We who smoke don't become nasty and aggressive or anything. We may just destroy the air. No, it's rude. That's not really right. Why we may not smoke?
In April last year, her close friend Barbro "Lill-Babs" Svensson died of cancer combined with heart failure. Princess Birgitta misses her friend.
- It was no good. It's still nothing good. No one can understand that she left us. She was such an amazing person. She had a heart that was fantastic. She was a great friend. And faithful. And her heart ... what a big heart!
Princess Birgitta is grateful for her health and her life - among "normal people" in Spain.
- I put my feet down and think, "My God, I can see, I can walk and I can hear. And the sun is shining. Oh, fantastic!"
https://d.cdn-expressen.se/images/95/33/9533940ea1564800af97b5653bd2576b/annan/1280@60.jpg
https://d.cdn-expressen.se/images/5b/83/5b835f11586649a092ba0fdb9094853f/annan/1280@60.jpg
https://d.cdn-expressen.se/images/d2/aa/d2aac8459a14442b8e9579512d77f92b/annan/1280@60.jpg
Prinsessan Birgitta om sin bror kungen_ ”Förstår mig inte”

Oh, Birgitta's interviews are wonderful and great to read. She is such a refreshing person! And one of my absolute favourite royals.
But although she says that the king has raised his children against reporters and photographers, I think that the king has changed in that matter and understands that the royals need the media nowadays. And for instance Victoria and Daniel are posing for photos and talk to the media at their work events.

Last edited:
Princess Birgitta wants to be buried to the Royal Cemetery in Haga.

This is how Princess Birgitta plans her funeral
SANTA PONSA. Princess Birgitta has started planning her own funeral.
The Haga princess wants to rest with her closest in Stockholm.
- I asked if I could come back to Haga and stay with my parents, I actually did, she says.
Princess Birgitta is one of Sweden's most popular royals, even though she left Sweden as a young person. She has lived in Germany for 40 years and Mallorca for 17 years.
82 years old and with good health she has now started planning for her funeral.
- That's my problem at the moment, she says. I think too much about death. It's awful when you're alone. And I know it's getting closer and closer, but you can die tomorrow and I can die here and just go out and roll down so it's nothing new, but as you get older it gets closer and closer and when you're alone which I am very often, then you start to think about it. And that's not good.
What are you thinking about then?
- Just the same as my daughter says, "Mom, we need to know what to do with you," she says, laughing.
The princess exclaims "Lord God" and starts laughing again.
Princess Birgitta knows how she wants to be buried.
- I have asked my family that when I am no longer there I hope ... I have asked if I can come back to Haga and stay with my parents, I actually did.
- They know I want to be buried in Sweden. I have asked if I can come to my dad and mom at Haga. I asked and they said yes.
Why does it mean a lot to you?
- I was born in Sweden and my roots are in Sweden, even though I have only lived there for 24 years and the rest of my life has been abroad. First in Germany for 40 years and then in Spain for 17 years. But my roots are in Sweden. And my heart above all.
Prinsessan Birgitta planerar sin begravning

The XXVIIIth edition of the traditional Trofeo S.A.R. Princesa Birgitta de Suecia Golf Tournament will be held on 4-7th September at Club de Golf Santa Ponsa on Mallorca.
On 4th September - The official practice day and a Cocktail Party hosted by/at Hotel Pure Salt Port Adriano.
On 5th September - The first day of the tournament
On 6th September - The second day of the tournament and Barbacue at Santa Ponsa II
On 7th September The last day of the tournament and Awards and Gala Dinner at Restaurante Bruno Port Adriano
https://www.golf-santaponsa.com/doc/fffeaffea2224658d466c1e76a46e6e04bf7eca7.pdf

Princess Birgitta is our most royal expatriate Swede and she does not long for home - but her heart still beats for Sweden.
Her Royal Highness Princess Birgitta, 82, has lived abroad for the last 57 years of her life - but her heart still beats for Sweden.
- Yes it does! I am Swedish after all and I was born in Sweden, she says emphatically.
This afternoon she enjoys the sun at home in her apartment in Santa Ponsa, half an hour by car from Palma. And she does not long for the Kingdom of Sweden. At least not right now.
When will the princess come home next?
- Yeah I don't know! Not for a while anyway. Now comes the Swedish winter, and then it gets cold and terrible ... It doesn't exactly attract me! I feel so good here in Mallorca, we have 29 degrees here today.
Has there been any turn on the golf course this morning?
- No, not today, today I have had time off from golf. I had a lot of things that I needed to get done in town. But otherwise it is the golf course that applies every day - tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and the day after that. With that it takes time to walk 18 holes, you can count on half a day anyway.
I must say that the princess is very resilient!
- Well, if you want, you can do it! It's just to do it! And so it is useful and good for the body and everything!
Prinsessan Birgitta_ _Jag har mitt hjärta i Sverige – men vintern är hemsk!_ _ Svensk Dam

Supporting families with people with dementia has become a matter of the heart for Désirée von Bohlen and Halbach. For Désirée's birthday, Galerie Carol Johnssen organizes a charity auction of 24 contemporary works with theme Pairs. The proceeds will benefit the association Desideria Care eV, which Désirée founded. Under the motto "to accompany dementia humanely", Desideria Care is committed to the affected families and to an open cooperation in society.
The auction will take place on Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 18:30 in the Galerie Carol Johnssen.
Desideria Care e.V. _Benefiz Auktion

Princess Birgitta attended The World Amateur Golfers Championships in Borneo, Malaysia. Photos from the Championships' Facebook.

On October 20th, Welcome Dinner and Flag Rising Ceremony
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=35ebc89447e5623b877bf3cef966b543&oe=5E4FC987
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=18f0fb8ed5836923c7377ef1134dd2c5&oe=5E43B32A
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=55bf8ab13bbfef24d80093bd5a9439ad&oe=5E423736

On October 23rd, The Seafood Dinner
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ff12a8b45493ce65ac356002e6cdb2cf&oe=5E59CF95
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0d554367d5c9c144ee69efe3f9116e3b&oe=5E518F05
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3efeed8ce0882e6eef154635ab70d163&oe=5E63DFA8
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=af548a03c57402e1fb658d0a4dd9f78c&oe=5E54719E

On October 24th, Klias River Cruise
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b52acb59a07ddd9d9d7b50cf5cd4b6ec&oe=5E459320
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=41312e97ab5836b33e8abe7f4f999cba&oe=5E40DD9A
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3990ec609763b2050194965b579f03ab&oe=5E44E9B6
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a93030b04abde0851448a54eb7fddad6&oe=5E4EA0A4
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e5e07f81d613b7ada13ec2798bc53fe6&oe=5E657B5A
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=1ae975878c881de132bc92456f4effc6&oe=5E4A3C46
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=24642280073205d290927a36681c0d57&oe=5E4253B3
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=0e439876e3fb8c2afb20be1a2d73f52c&oe=5E530328

On 25th October, The Awards Gala Dinner and Prize Giving Ceremony
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=f735ac1242ad54370e80a61ec2f47c2a&oe=5E61FF0B
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8f81ecf7d053333638516e29eb479131&oe=5E602BBB
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ca21b60cb371f010c2243ae5a1f7493d&oe=5E5D8C00
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=ecd1e5ecc690dc280590becec3d6ee86&oe=5E48A9AC

Birgitta was in Borneo with her friend Mona Tumba, whose late husband Sven Tumba is the founder of these Championships, here Birgitta and Mona:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4C8GjqpCkn/

Last edited:
Mona Tumba to Svensk Damtidning about hers and Birgitta's trip to Borneo to World Amateur Golfers Championships.

The world's most prestigious golf competition for amateurs - the World Amateur Golfers Championship. An eight-day tournament that also featured several gala dinners in the ballroom at the Borneo Hotel Sutera Harbor
- It was my husband Sven Tumba who started this competition 25 years ago, Mona says.
- This year we were in Brunei and down at Kota Kinabalu on Borneo. Sven wanted the same concept as the Olympiad, because that was the most powerful thing he had been involved with. Today we are 37 nations and all represent their country. The flag parade is completely senseless, it's great fun.
Mona and Princess Birgitta stayed at the 5-star luxury hotel Sutera Harbor on the South China Sea, known for its 27-hole course and exclusive country club.
- There were over 400 people on the scene and it has become the world's largest amateur golf competition. Birgitta has been with and represented Sweden almost every year, she has only missed two tournaments.
- She talks to everyone and recognizes most, and meets all these ministers and high representatives in the country where the competition is being played. She is absolutely incredible, she makes such fantastic PR for Sweden, especially in Asia and Africa where we have been very much. And the Swedish people hardly know anything about this!
How long were you away?
- We were there for 10 days. We met in Copenhagen and then we flew together, we always fly together. And we always share a suite. We drink champagne and have so much fun together that it's not wise! Birgitta is wonderful, we laugh at everything. There is nothing that we do not have fun with, and we take everything from the positive side. Now I look forward to her coming here and greeting me in February.
- Birgitta played golf of course, every day, but she was not in the big competition. She is incredible, she always keeps going.
Is she the friend closest to you?
- No, but she's one of them. I am so lucky to have so many wonderful friends
Do you also play golf?
- No, I left! There is so much golf in the family anyway. But I might start sometime ... as I get older!
- Then we flew home together again, it took two days and we had great fun that we had three breakfasts before we landed in Copenhagen…
Prinsessan Birgittas hemliga besök på Borneo! _ Svensk Dam

Princess Birgitta attended also this year The Legends Cup Tennis tournament in Palma de Mallorca. It was played on 3-6 October.
Prinsessglans på Legends Cup i Palma _ Svensk Dam

Princess Birgitta attended last year in Sweden two events of Jontefonden. Jontefonden is a foundation for children and young people who are waiting for a transplant or have completed a transplant operation, and their siblings. The foundation's goal is to increase the quality of life, create joy and put the gold lining in an otherwise difficult situation. The foundation has been named after Jonathan Ivarsson who, due to lung fibrosis, needed a lung transplant.

Now Birgitta comes to Sweden again.

Everyone knows how reluctantly Princess Birgitta leaves the sun, the heat and golf in Mallorca for the rain and autumn storm at home in Sweden. But now it happens!
Next Sunday, November 24, she will come to Gothenburg to join the important and vital struggle for more organ donations - and to support all those waiting in the far too long queue.
It is Jontefonden which is organizing the country's only gala for the third year in a row that attracts organ donation - Jontefondsgalan. This year it also has the shape of a Christmas ball, so keep your thumbs up so we can see the ever-chic Princess Birgitta on the dance floor!
All this takes place at Quality Hotel 11 and in the Eriksberg Hall and it is well-known TV profile Renée Nyberg who holds the threads on stage. For the entertainment there are Jessica Andersson, Uno Svenningson, Nanne Grönvall, Jennifer Brown and "Mojje", and Princess Birgitta and all the other guests can enjoy a Christmas-inspired menu specially designed by Krister Dahl from the Swedish chef country team.
But above all, it will be a charity auction. Guests will be able to bid on experiences and items and all money raised will be used to create joy and a golden edge for the children waiting for - or having completed - an organ transplant.
Prinsessan Birgittas vändning – nu kommer hon till Sverige! _ Svensk Dam

Princess Birgitta lives her happy days in Mallorca. Here's everything she needs. Sun, golf and good friends.
Yes, Birgitta does not leave the warm climate. The only exception has actually been Christmas when the princess has traveled to Munich where her three children and five grandchildren reside. It was also where her husband Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen lived when he was alive. And Munich was therefore a natural gathering place for the whole family.
Birgitta and Hansi did not share everyday life, but when it came to celebrations it was obvious to celebrate together.
It was on March 2, 2016, that Hansi passed away at a hospital in Munich and left the royal family - and Birgitta - in great sadness. And since then, the king's sister has chosen to celebrate Christmas in a slightly different way than before.
She has previously told to Svensk Damtidning that there are too many memories in Germany. Nowadays, the princess invites her children to Mallorca instead. And this year it is her sons Carl Christian and Hubertus who are traveling there with their children. Daughter Désirée celebrates elsewhere.
- My two sons come, but not my daughter. We split it up a bit. It will be really fun. They'll probably stay for five days, the princess tells us when we reach her over the phone.
Prinsessan Birgitta om sina annorlunda julplaner _ Svensk Dam

Princess Birgitta attended the birthday party of Fredrik Laurin and Björn Fürst.
The party began with a mingle on the terrace of the fine Port Cala Nova just outside Palma, followed by the mallorca-inspired dinner in the restaurant to tones from tenor Carry Persson who handed out roses to all the ladies. The next day started with a round of golf at Bendinat's golf course, boat trip with the luxury yacht "Marco Polo" along Mallorca's beautiful coast and finally a giant party in Bendinat's Clubhouse with paella, tapas and dancing all night long.
https://files.svenskdam.se/uploads/fly-images/303790/utvald-bild-mallorca-1960x1030-lt.jpg

Svensk Damtidning tells, that princess Birgitta arrived to Sweden yesterday, to participate at the Jontefonden charity gala tomorrow.

Princess Birgitta has landed in Sweden. She arrived last night, directly from her home in Santa Ponsa, Mallorca, and now has some intense days ahead of her in Gothenburg.
As everyone knows, the king's sister is not the one to leave the sun and heat in Mallorca unnecessarily - but this trip has a vital purpose: to focus on the urgent donation issue.
Together with Prince Daniel, she is the one in the royal family who works to support those affected and to get more people to register in the donation register.
She is also a patron of the Jontefonden Foundation, which tomorrow Sunday organizes the annual Jontefondsgala in Gothenburg, with the goal of raising a lot of money for the affected children. Princess Birgitta is attending for the second time.
Just nu! Birgitta har landat i Sverige – för Daniels skull _ Svensk Dam

Svensk Damtidning told that princess Birgitta had yesterday dinner at Fiskekyrkan in Gothenburg.
What a weekend for Princess Birgitta! She is in Sweden to pay attention to Jontefonden, which focuses on the joy of organ transplanted children - and last night she also had good friends, at a large private dinner that took place in Gothenburg's pride, Fiskekyrkan. Or Feskekörka, as all Gothenburg citizens say.
Fiskekyrkan sells fish during the days, and that was what was on the menu this evening as well. To Princess Birgitta's delight! She loves fish and seafood, but the supply in Mallorca where she lives everyday can not compete with it on the West Coast on long roads, she has told to Svensk Damtidning.
The host of the dinner at Feskekörka was Marko Saarinen (producer for last year's Jontefondsgala) and among the 70 guests, besides Princess Birgitta and her friend, theater manager Vicky von der Lancken, there were also several well-known actors. And of course the couple behind Jontefonden, Gunilla and Tommy Ivarsson.
Birgitta dök upp på hemlig fest i Sverige i natt _ Svensk Dam

Tommy Ivarsson, the founder of Jontefonden, at his Instagram with Birgitta
"We would be nothing without all these volunteer efforts this weekend! Sure, the princess has landed. She will be in the media to talk about how important the organ donation issue is."
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5Lyo8Plub9/

Ivarsson tells at his Instagram with photos also, that Birgitta gave an interview to Svensk Damtidning.
"A crazy day! But fantastic. Now it will be a long and big interview with H.R.H Princess Birgitta in Svensk Damtidning. About her involvement in Jontefonden, about her childhood Christmas with her family, uncles and about her German mother's adaption to a cold Sweden. A deep, long conversation about life. An unusually eventful one. And her glow for the organ donation issue. She was on fire when she talked about this. So great to sit next to ....
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5NeBFNFok7/

In 2006, Jonathan Ivarsson suffered from pulmonary fibrosis, a disease that slowly reduced his ability to breathe. A lung transplant was planned, but never had to be performed. 2015 passed away, surrounded by his family.
Already during Jonathan Ivarsson's illness, Jontefonden was formed, which since 2017 has become Jontefondsgalan.
Princess Birgitta is one of the prominent guests.
- She was with last year and has a good eye for Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, who is kidney transplanted. They are involved in Jontefonden, but haven't had the opportunity to participate this year, says Tommy Ivarsson, father of Jonathan.
Jontefondsgalan siktar på nytt rekord – i Göteborg

Last edited:
Princess Birgitta was the most glittering guest of the evening - and it attracted 2.8 lovely millions in support of the affected children. Yes, Jontefondsgalan became absolutely magical!
Princess Birgitta glittered in peacock blue sequins - and the Jonte Foundation received 2.8 lovely millions in support of children who are affected in various ways by organ transplantation.
The Jontefondsgalan is arranged to raise money for the Jontefonden foundation, run by Gunilla and Tommy Ivarsson. They were the parents of 15-year-old Jonathan, who was called Jonte. He suffered from pulmonary fibrosis (the same disease that has now hit Crown Princess Mette-Marit) and died in November 2015, after waiting for new lungs for several years.
- It was an emotional evening and a fantastic party! So much joy! says Jonathan's dad Tommy Ivarsson.
- But the most wonderful thing was that we broke records, we withdrew a total of SEK 2.8 million! It means so much to the Jontefonden We are so very, very happy.
And Princess Birgitta?
- She withdrew after midnight, the clock was probably half past midnight. And now she is back in Mallorca again. She flew home at lunchtime yesterday and landed late yesterday afternoon. And today she would go out on the golf course with her friends.
Se bilderna! Prinsessan Birgitta var kvällens galadrottning _ Svensk Dam

Princess Birgitta has been home in Sweden and Svensk Damtidning met the princess for a long interview. Here comes part 1!
It's been a good many years since the Swedish people saw them grow up in the 1940s Haga, but the Haga princesses have forever a place in the hearts of the Swedish people. It becomes very clear when you see the attention that Princess Birgitta draws during her days in Gothenburg.
- Of course, it warms my heart tremendously. Fantastic, think they still remember us! she says when we see for a long interview at the classic Gothenburg hotel Park Avenue where the princess lives during her four-day visit to Sweden.
Can the princess meet her sisters now that the princess is at home?
- No, I don't and it is a pity! But we are used to it, that's how it is when you live in different countries.
- And we talk to each other very often on the phone and then we always say "Now we must meet!" But getting together five siblings, no it's not easy you should know! Especially since my brother is so busy, he always works. So this time it didn't work, unfortunately.
- But I hope it can be arranged in the spring anyway. So that we can celebrate my sister Margareta, even though it is now afterwards, she turned 85 in October.
- We always have a very nice time when we meet. Imagine, we are five siblings and everyone is still alive. And we've never had a quarrel, never ever! I think it's pretty unique.
Intervju! Prinsessan Birgitta om sin längtan efter systrarna _ Svensk Dam

Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach is the director and chairman of Desideria Care e.V.
Desideria Care e.V. _Verein

Désirée about the history of Desideria Care e.V.
Behind the idea to found the association Desideria Care e.V. in June 2017 is a very personal story.
I, Désirée von Bohlen and Halbach and niece of the Swedish Queen Silvia, have many years as a volunteer at the Malteser Day Center in Munich and have been confronted by my work with people with dementia again and again with the situation of relatives. These often so heavy fates have touched me deeply and awakened in me the desire to bring here my knowledge in the sense of an emotional accompaniment and counseling of relatives. With my systemic education and the training of the Silviahemmet trainer by Malteser, the basis of my current work was created.
Desideria Care e.V. _Historie

While in Sweden in November, princess Birgitta gave an interview to Svensk Damtidning, at the interview she spoke also about her daughter Désirée.

Crown Princess Victoria's cousin Désirée has a new career - and the support of Queen Silvia has meant a lot, her mother Princess Birgitta says.
Princess Désirée is Crown Princess Victoria's Swedish-German cousin, and they meet regularly when there is a large family party. But above all, she is Princess Birgitta's second oldest child, and it was a very proud mother who told about her daughter's new career when Svensk Damtidning met her during her Sweden visit.
Unlike Princess Birgitta herself, who grew up in an extremely protected royal world at Haga Palace, her three children have lived relatively ordinary lives. Which means they all work professionally.
And now Birgitta's daughter Désirée has found a job that she really loves, at age 56.
- She works as a dementia instructor at Malteser Stiftung in Munich, they have both nursing homes and day care for people affected by dementia, says Princess Birgitta.
A job that is about disseminating knowledge about dementia, both to the healthcare and care staff and to the relatives.
Mom Birgitta nodded proudly.
- She's so competent, I must say. So committed. I think it's great to see. Yes she has really found the right and she is so happy, it is fantastic.
- But it's not an easy job, after all. But very important. And she is very happy. I'm so happy for her.
Has she had contact with Queen Silvia in this?
- Yes, it was the Queen who helped her get into it all. After all, Désirée has trained in the dementia problem in Sweden, at Silviahemmet.
- Yes, that's right, says Silviahemmet's principal Wilhelmina Hoffman.
- Désirée has been trained as a Silvia home instructor through Silviahemmet and our collaboration with Malteserorden in Germany with concluding training days and examination at Silviahemmet in Drottningholm.
Princess Désirée is the daughter of Princess Birgitta and Prince Johann Georg (who passed away in 2016). Her title is Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and she has seven names: Désirée Margareta Victoria Louise Sibylla Katharina Maria.
From her first marriage to Heinrich, Count of Ortenburg, Désirée has three adult children: Carl Theodor, 27, Frederick, 24, and Carolina, 22.
Today she is married to the German aristocrat Eckbert von Bohlen und Halbach, 63, who is the CEO of Bohlen Industrie GmbH. They got married in 2004 on Désirée's birthday and they celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary in November.
Drottning Silvias okända stöd till Victorias kusin _ Svensk Dam

Last edited:
Princess Birgitta spends almost all her days on the golf course. She has lived in Germany before but for many years the city of Santa Ponsa, in Mallorca, is her home.
Birgitta loves the sun and the proximity to the golf course and over the years she has created a large contact network on the beautiful holiday island. She hardly ever goes home to Sweden. It's too cold and dark, says Birgitta.
But luckily she has close contact with the children, even though they live so far away. All three, Carl Christian, 57, Désirée, 56, and Hubertus, 53, reside in Munich, but when Svensk Damtidning reaches Birgitta over the phone, it turns out that the youngest son Hubertus is actually visiting his mother, right now.
- My son is actually here for a whole week. We are playing golf right now.
Is he as interested in golf as his mother?
- He's started to get it. It has come in recent years.
Prinsessan Birgitta om veckan med sonen _ Svensk Dam

Back
Top Bottom