Princess Birgitta and Family, Current Events Part 1: December 2002 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Birgitta was the patron of a charity golf tournament which her daughter Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach and Desideria Care e.V. organized on 9th October.
Princess Birgitta's words:
"Since I've been an avid golfer myself for over 40 years, I know how valuable exercise, fun and social interaction are, especially in old age. It is a great pleasure and honor for me to support my daughter Désirée with this wonderful idea to set up a charity tournament for relatives and relatives of people with dementia. Golfing offers the best conditions to actively participate in life for as long as possible.
I wish us all a lot of fun at the tournament and look forward to the day together with you. With your donations you can help to give families with dementia a better quality of life."
Desideria Care e.V. _*Charity Turnier

Photos from the tournament
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Svensk Damtidning called today princess Birgitta, who celebrates her 85th birthday.

Princess Birgitta thanked for the congratulations and said that being 85 may not be that fun exactly, but as long as you can be healthy and well, it's fine, and she really is. So she is happy, she has her three children with her and all her sisters have called, but not the queen yet. Birgitta hopes they have not forgotten her! They are always careful to get in touch and the day has just begun. Birgitta was sitting with a friend and drinking champagne. And soon they will go out and pick oranges. Although it's cold, only 13 plus degrees. Birgitta says that she is having a nice day, the almond flower is in full bloom and tonight they will have a small dinner with the children and a few friends, Birgitta thinks there will be ten people at the restaurant and they are very careful to keep their distance. Her children were in Mallorca with Birgitta this Christmas too and now they have come to her again and Birgitta is so happy for that.
Birgitta's grandchildren are not there but all her children are and that is the most important thing. Birgitta has been healthy, no covid. These are not fun times, but they live very healthy lives in Mallorca and are very outdoors and Birgitta thinks that helps tremendously. Birgitta looks forward to every new day that comes and thinks it's wonderful to live. But she hopes that she and her siblings, all in the family, will be able to meet when times get better. As the situation is now, Birgitta doesn't want to fly.
Prinsessan Birgittas hemliga 85-årsfest – firad av alla systrarna _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach was on 14th February a guest at a podcast at BR.

Desideria Care e.V. at its Facebook
"Yesterday our founder Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach @desiree.bohlen was on BAYERN 2 in the show “Eins zu Eins. Der Talk”. She spoke openly with moderator Stefan Parrisius about her life and how the association Desideria Care was founded.
In the program they also talk about the stigmatization of dementia in society, why it can make sense for relatives to get help and what relief and help they can get from Desideria Care. It is also about our projects "Demenz neu sehen“ @demenzneusehen und "Musik im Kopf"

Princess Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach has a major concern: to help the relatives of dementia patients to show them a way to deal with the disease. A way of life that was not predetermined for the born Princess of Hohenzollern, but which, in her eyes, had to happen that way.
Desirée von Bohlen und Halbach, Start up-Gründerin - Eins zu Eins. Der Talk _ BR Podcast

Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach speaking about dementia
Desideria Care e.V.'s "The dementia buddies"
Our online group for young relatives of people with dementia
If you have found us, then you probably have a person in your family environment who suffers from dementia. Maybe this is a confusing situation for you between trying to help and learning to deal with the changes that are triggered by the illness in the family.
Desideria Care e.V. _*Demenz-Buddies

Svensk Damtidning has spoken with princess Birgitta and asked how she is after the heart surgery two years ago.
- At the moment I feel fine. Thankfully. But I'm a bit old, so things happen. It's been so hot here that you haven't been able to go outside. I'm mostly at home.
When will Birgitta come to Sweden next?
- Nothing is planned. I feel so good here. My home is actually Munich. I lived there for 40 years and in Sweden for 24 years. But it is clear that you always love your homeland.
Prinsessan Birgitta hjärtopererad – så mår hon idag _*Svensk Dam

More than 450 photographs were submitted for the photo competition "Desideria Care Prize for Photography 2022 - Seeing dementia anew".
Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach attended at the award ceremony, where the jury awarded four prize winners from Münster, Berlin, Freising and Braunschweig in the categories "Professional", "Young Talent" and "Amateur" as well as a special prize with a total of 11,000 euros.
DESIDERIA CARE PREIS FOTOGRAFIE pressematerial-sieger-2022

Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach at an exhibition on 5th November
A special exhibition with a social background "Art for memory" is now being shown by Rebecca Niehues-Paas in her gallery RNP fine arts in Rottach-Egern together with Desiree von Bohlen and Halbach from Desideria Care eV, who is committed to helping relatives of people with dementia.
"The special exhibition is not about presenting an artistic theme or a monogamous presentation of a style," said Rebecca Niehues-Paas at the vernissage. Rather, it is about the diversity of art. She thanked Desiree von Bohlen und Halbach and her team for their generous and consistent commitment to supporting relatives of people with dementia.
Art for memory - KulturVision e.V.

Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach and Desideria Care's photo exhibition, 7th December.

"On 400 large posters all over Munich
This photo exhibition is extraordinary, personal, encouraging. It shows people in the middle of their lives with dementia. From now until the end of February, five motifs entitled “The Unforgettable Exhibition” can be seen on 400 large posters throughout Munich. These are photos of the Desideria Care Prize for Photography 2022, @demenzneusehen, which take a new look at the topic of dementia.
The "The Unforgettable Exhibition" can be seen all over Munich, including in Moosach on Allacher Strasse, in the Isarvorstadt on Thalkirchner Strasse, at the Truderinger S-Bahn and bus station and in Ramersdorf-Perlach on Unterhachinger Strasse.
Anyone who discovers the photo series is cordially invited to take a photo and share it under the hashtag #unforgettableexhibition"
https://postimg.cc/gallery/GL6Y738

Hänt Magazine has interviewed princess Birgitta.

Birgitta feels perfect. It's wonderful in Mallorca, sun, sun, sun. Nice weather. Now it's a little colder, around 17 degrees. Otherwise, they have around 20 degrees all the time. For around 20 years, Birgitta has lived in Mallorca and she has no plans to leave it, absolutely not, she has lived in Munich all her life after Sweden and now she lives there. No plans for a visit to Sweden in the near future.
Her sons and her grandchildren were in Mallorca during Christmas, it was really nice. And on the day of the interview she had a long talk with her daughter. She talks with her children almost every day.
Birgitta says about her siblings that they are all feeling as they deserve, but they are all old so it's not so easy anymore. But they keep in touch. Birgitta keeps contact with the king, not every day though. And via her Swedish friends she gets to know everything that happens in Sweden. The king and queen have so much going on, so Birgitta doesn't want to disturb them all the time with calls. Victoria has visited Mallorca twice and queen Silvia was there too, last autumn they were there (The queen and Victoria were at the christening of Helena and Jan Sommerlath Sohns' daughter Amalia).
Birgitta is lively and active, it's the sport that does it. And you get to be out with friends and have a good time, enjoy fresh air and nature. It's wonderful. She doesn't prefer the royal events in the same way. If you have to, you have to, and then you're happy to do it. But preferably not. That's her disposition, she would rather be out in nature and play golf, not sit at gala dinners. Birgitta says that she might go to the golf course and hit a few holes that day too.
Kungens syster prinsessan Birgitta om livet på Mallorca _ Hänt

Video from 9th December 2022
"You don't talk about dementia in everyday life," says Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach. To change that, she founded the association "Desideria Care" five years ago, where the relatives of dementia patients can network.
Dementia is not only a fundamental challenge for the patient, but especially for the caring relatives. The “dementia buddies” have networked and exchanged ideas online via the “Desideria Care” association. A first real meeting recently took place in Obergrombach Castle.
In an interview with Ulrich Konrad, Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach spoke about why the topic belongs in the public eye and what influence Queen Silvia had in founding the association.
Über Demenz spricht man! _ Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach und die „Demenz-Buddies“

Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach was interviewed at TV Bayern Live on 28th January.
“Pictures stay”: Desideria Care Prize for photography
If you are out and about in Munich, you may have already seen one of 400 very special posters. They show people suffering from dementia, sometimes with their relatives. The associations Desideria Care eV and Retla eV brought this unforgettable exhibition to life in order to publicize the topic of dementia. The pictures are the result of the photo competition "Demenz neu sehen".
„Bilder bleiben“_ Desideria Care Preis für Fotografie _ TV BAYERN LIVE

On 9th February Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach was speaking at Bayerischer Rundfunk broadcast.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cob5JaSsm41/

Last edited:
Hänt Magazine contacted princess Birgitta and asked how she felt about the King's heart operation.

Your brother the king has had surgery, how did it feel for you?
- It wasn't fun, of course, but everything went well and he's feeling well again, so it's perfect, says Birgitta.
Have you been worried?
- Yes of course. You can't avoid being like that if your brother is going to have heart surgery.
Now that the operation is finished and Birgitta has learned that her brother successfully completed the procedure, she feels much better.
Does it feel better now?
- Yes, exactly that, and that is the main thing.
Have you talked?
- Yes, we have talked.
Prinsessan Birgittas första ord om kungens operation _ Hänt

KuKuK-TV is on the road again - this time in Munich. We are guests of Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach - she is the founder of Desideria Care e.V. Together we would like to take a close look at the photographs from the photo competition "Desideria Care Prize for Photography 2022 - Seeing dementia anew".
https://www.instagram.com/p/CqAUKEuoF5f/

She has 4 living grandchildren. Her eldest son Carl Christian & his wife Nicole have a son Nicolas (born 1999). Her daughter Désirée has 3 children with her first husband, Carl-Theodor (born 1992), Frederik (born 1995) & Carolina (born 1997). Her youngest son Hubertus & his wife Ute had a son Lennart (born 2001) who died as a 4 day old.

Hubertus and Ute has a daughter, Vivianne, born in 2009. So, she has five living grandchildren.

Bavaria's Health and Care Minister Klaus Holetschek awarded Désirée von Bohlen und Halbach the Bavarian State Medal for services to health and care on Friday. Holetschek said: "The Bavarian State Medal for services to health and care is an expression of public praise and thanks for outstanding personal commitment. An award that Mrs von Bohlen und Halbach has more than earned as a role model and a person. She has been supporting people with dementia and especially their relatives for many years."
Holetschek added: "Mrs von Bohlen und Halbach quickly recognized that dementia is always an illness of the relatives. So she deliberately put the focus on the relatives. The caring relatives often forget their own self-care and withdraw more and more from social life. Mrs von Bohlen und Halbach raises awareness of the topic of dementia with a great deal of commitment and great optimism and is convincingly committed to a dementia-friendly society. Not only people who live in Munich benefit from this, but also affected citizens far beyond the borders of Bavaria thanks to various digital formats. It also supports the implementation of our Bavarian Dementia Strategy. I am convinced that we need more people like Mrs von Bohlen and Halbach."
https://www.stmgp.bayern.de/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/medaille-bohlen-halbach.jpg
https://www.stmgp.bayern.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/gesundheitsmedaille-e1447757926138.jpg
Bayerische Staatsmedaille für Verdienste um Gesundheit und Pflege – Bayerns Gesundheits- und Pflegeminister zeichnet Frau von Bohlen und Halbach für herausragendes Engagement aus – Bayerisches Landesportal
Die Bayerische Staatsmedaille für Verdienste um Gesundheit und Pflege - Staatsministerium für Gesundheit und Pflege

Last edited:
Hubertus and Ute has a daughter, Vivianne, born in 2009. So, she has five living grandchildren.

It is a foster (or perhaps adopted) child, not their biological child.

Princess Birgitta has spoken with Hänt Magazine.
She said that it is probably possible that she would come to Öland for Victoria's birthday, but she won't answer that question more than that, but it is possible.
Later this autumn, it will be time for her brother Carl XVI Gustaf to celebrate his 50 years on the throne.
- I will certainly be involved in that, she says to Hänt.
How does it feel that he is celebrating a full 50 years on the throne?
- It's really fantastic. I am very happy for him, we are all proud and happy. That's how it is.
Prinsessan Birgittas glädjebesked inför Victoriadagen _ Hänt

Princess Birgitta said to Hänt Magazine, that she and her siblings are all doing well, it's just that they are getting older and older. But otherwise they are fine. She has told already previously to Hänt that her siblings' aging is something that worries her.
- It's wonderful, but you're just so afraid that something will happen. So I'm always terrified. But so far we are all healthy but we are all 80 and over. Or not Christina and my brother, but they follow quite quickly.
Birgitta said that her sisters will not visit her on Mallorca during the summer, but maybe her children will come. But they are busy in their places. If they come, it makes Birgitta happy.
Birgitta has previously also told to Hänt that she and her sisters have forbidden their brother to abdicate. They talk about things, topics like this also come up. So they have said he should never do it. They only want the best for their brother.
Prinsessan Birgittas plötsliga uttalande om hälsan _ Hänt

I don't think his sisters are in a position to forbid their brother to abdicate; they might advise against doing so, however. I wonder whether it came up in conversations because he considers it or that it came up in relation to other monarchs abdicating.

I hope they would not only the best for their brother, but also for their niece and Sweden.

I don't think his sisters are in a position to forbid their brother to abdicate; they might advise against doing so, however. I wonder whether it came up in conversations because he considers it or that it came up in relation to other monarchs abdicating.

I hope they would not only the best for their brother, but also for their niece and Sweden.

Birgitta is quite famous for always speaking - and speaking a lot :-D

Ofcourse his 4 sisters are in no position to forbid The King from abdicating. I’m not sure it was even meant as 100 % serious….

But with the death of QEII, the abdications in Netherlands, Belgium and Spain, the likely upcoming abdication in Luxembourg, and the declining health of both neighbouring monarchs King Harald and QMII, i have no doubts that they are speaking about Victorias future succession in private conversations…

Age-wise and currently also health-wise, King Carl Gustaf and King Charles is likely to be the last monarchs on the throne in their generation.

I don't think his sisters are in a position to forbid their brother to abdicate; they might advise against doing so, however.

Birgitta is quite famous for always speaking - and speaking a lot :-D

Ofcourse his 4 sisters are in no position to forbid The King from abdicating. I’m not sure it was even meant as 100 % serious….

It is also refreshing to see that though the Haga princesses were raised being treated as lesser than their younger (for some of them much younger) brother solely because they were girls, the dynamic hasn't prevented them from enjoying a more normal older and younger sibling relationship in private life.

I would be curious about their reasons for believing abdication would be a bad thing for their brother.

What Birgitta said translates as must not. She did not use the word forbid.

Back
Top Bottom