Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to Sweden - March 22-24, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Part of King's speech
"Over the years we have had several occasions to meet with Your Royal Highnesses and the Royal Family. Each time we have been warmly received, and, perhaps needless to say, we have many dear memories from our stays. The most recent one was when Queen Silvia visited You at Highgrove on a very spontaneous stopover at the end of last year. I know that You then talked about coming here today."
here is the close ties ;) :)

I was once in a luxury hotel in Scotland and they had pictures on the wall of the Swedish regent Couple and Prince Charles, including a thank you-note of the Swedish king and queen, where they thanked for their wonderful holidays for some years in a row and the marvellous hospitality and service they received when they hosted Charles there during their holiday. That surely was more than 15 years ago.... So it is a long-standing friendship and I bet Silvia knows a lot of Camilla's past woes...

:previous:

Interestingly though, Charles and Camilla were greeted with full honours that normally would be reserved for the Monarch only; I can totally see King Charles and Queen Camilla in making, so to say. :)

Artemisia, that might have been because they travel "in lieu" of Her Majesty? :flowers:

Artemisia, that might have been because they travel "in lieu" of Her Majesty? :flowers:
Oh, I understand that.
However, I doubt Princess Anne or the Cambridges were honoured with such a warm reception, even if they went as the Queen's official representatives as well.
To me, the receptions in both Norway and Sweden showed genuine warmth and goodwill towards Charles and Camilla. :)

I was so excited to see that Victoria came out to greet the royal couple. She looked beautiful in green. I'm still very shocked about the close relationship the Swedish and British royals have. I never would've thought it,

Last edited:
And I've noticed in several photos that Silvia has her right hand in a cast. Anyone know what happened?
A few days ago when she was in germany, she told reporters that she has severne "Sehnenscheidenentzündung" in that forearm. I couldn't find a translation, german Wikipedia terms it "Tendovaginitis", it is a quite common disease, an inflammation of the tendon.

Last edited:
There are no close blood ties between Charles and Carl Gustav, but Charles' paternal grandmother, princess Alice, was the sister of Carl Gustav's step-grandmother, queen Louise, sisters to the earl of Mountbatten who was a close friend of Charles.

The connection between the Swedish and British royal families are through crown princess Margaretha who was a granddaughter of queen Victoria and through princess Sibylla, a great-granddaughter of Victoria.

Queen Victoria -> prince Arthur -> crown princess Margaretha -> prince Gustav Adolf -> king Carl Gustav
Queen Victoria -> prince Leopold -> duke Charles Edward -> princess Sibylla -> king Carl Gustav

I recall from a biography of Princess Alice that she would travel to London each summer, and Louise and King Gustaf Adolf would join her at the same hotel. When Alice moved permanently into Buckingham Palace after the Greek monarchy was overthrown, she would continue to spend August in the hotel with Louise and Gustaf while the rest of the royal family went to Balmoral. Sometimes, Andrew and Edward would chose to stay in London with her. And after Louise's death, Gustaf would still make trips to London to visit Alice. It seems that the families have always been close in private, even if they don't make a lot of public appearances together.

Last edited:
There are plenty of visits that go on between the British Royal Family and other European royal families behind the scenes. I think the British Royals are a little less 'showy' than perhaps the other royal families when it comes to their relations with their extend royal family. I don't mean that in a negative way but the British Royals don't seem to like publicity and view these meeting as private occasions. It's know for instance that Queen Beatrix was staying at Balmoral the night Diana died. Queen Margrethe is a frequent visitor of Prince Charles at Highgrove. And the King and Queen of Norway are very popular British royal circles in fact I believe that Queen Elizabeth II has a very soft spot for Queen Sonja. There's a picture of Queen Sonja and Queen Elizabeth II during a visit to Windsor Castle and Queen Elizabeth II gives Queen Sonja a big hug...the Queen doesn't hug many people...I'm going to see if I can find it.

I don't want to go off topic but I've never ever heard that Queen Beatrix was at Balmoral when diana died. It strikes me as odd that its not more well known if its true given the intense interest and conspiracy theories around Diana's death.

Their Majesties King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia welcomed Prince Charles and Camilla to Drottningholm Palace Theatre for a short performance and view historic stage machinery.

- Camilla
- Charles and Camilla
- King Carl Gustav, Queen Silvia, Prince Charles and Camilla

Gallery from Belga
Oh,Camilla is wearing one of my favorite dresses of hers :D :cool:- though nothing can beat the purple Norway dress.;) ( Edit- after a better look she is not wearing one of my favorites!)
Love Silvia's dress as well!

Last edited:
Love Silvia's dress as well!
...but where did you see it? ;)
Don't know whether Camilla's velvet layers are meant to be in Victorian or Tudor style, I only know they're unfortunate.

If the label 'private' for the Drottningholm Palace dinner is taken seriously, I fear that these covered-up pics from the tour through the Palace Theatre, a UNESCO World heritage site, might be the only photos from tonight.

Part of the Queen's gown can be seen in this picture posted by MagMil. :)
Looks quite interesting.

I have heard that many of the European royals are in London quite often to shop. They're able to wander around in relative anonymity; very few British people would know who they are. I remember seeing pictures from the end of last year of Queen Sofia of Spain wandering round John Lewis (I think) and none of the shoppers paid her any attention, apart obviously from the Spanish pap who took a couple of snaps of her.

They can probably drop into BP or Clarence House quietly for a cup of tea or a meal when they're over.

Video from TheRoyalChannel's YouTube account

The Duchess of Cornwall reads "The Gruffalo" to children at the British International School

120323 Sweden - YouTube

[EDIT]

AND SHORT but very interesting VIDEO of tonight visit - Drottningholm Court Theatre :)
http://vimeo.com/39078666

Last edited:

I just love listening to Camilla reading stories. She very down to earth.

The Duchess looked quite nice this evening though I think a floor length evening dress would have been more appropriate and I'm not really admiring the velvet evening jacket thought it does work with the esemble.

The Operatic evening cloack with fuschia inlay is divine, and the evening dress itself, perfectly demure. I adore the exposed white ruffs of what appear to be either chiffon or silk. Quite dramatic, and thus an apt choice.

Back
Top Bottom