Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to Sweden - March 22-24, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonderful photos; Camilla with children is always adorable. The warm relationship between the royals is always pleasant to see. It's great to see Victoria out in public, too.
Is this 'warm relationship among royals' the reason that HRH Prince of Wales and the Duchess ar in Scandinavia? I had thought that the British Royal Family were on tour in the Commonwealth with a view to the Diamond Jubilee celebrations so was very confused when Scandinavia was put on the itinerary. What do board members think?:ermm:

:previous:
Prince Charles and Camilla are due to visit Commonwealth countries as well, including Australia.
Official visits to Sweden, Norway and Denmark were to mark the close historical and family ties between the royal houses.

Prince Charles makes 1st official visit to Sweden
Queen Silvia, said she was glad to finally play host to Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall. "It's very nice since Prince Charles during my time, unfortunately, hasn't had the possibility to visit earlier," the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet quoted the queen as saying ahead of his arrival. "But we have a very close contact with the British royal family and so we're very happy about their visit."

In a way prince Charles and Camilla are visiting his family. Prince Charles is related to the Scandinavian royal families but which is he closer to?

It is sooo wonderful seeing CP Victoria again, motherhood suites her as she simply looks STUNNING!!!! Dress and shoes in Spring Green, she is the Queen of the lunch :flowers:
Bye Bine

Part of King's speech
"Over the years we have had several occasions to meet with Your Royal Highnesses and the Royal Family. Each time we have been warmly received, and, perhaps needless to say, we have many dear memories from our stays. The most recent one was when Queen Silvia visited You at Highgrove on a very spontaneous stopover at the end of last year. I know that You then talked about coming here today."
here is the close ties ;) :)

In a way prince Charles and Camilla are visiting his family. Prince Charles is related to the Scandinavian royal families but which is he closer to?

:previous:To King Harald of Norway...he and Prince Charles' are first cousins twice removed.

There are no close blood ties between Charles and Carl Gustav, but Charles' paternal grandmother, princess Alice, was the sister of Carl Gustav's step-grandmother, queen Louise, sisters to the earl of Mountbatten who was a close friend of Charles.

The connection between the Swedish and British royal families are through crown princess Margaretha who was a granddaughter of queen Victoria and through princess Sibylla, a great-granddaughter of Victoria.

Queen Victoria -> prince Arthur -> crown princess Margaretha -> prince Gustav Adolf -> king Carl Gustav
Queen Victoria -> prince Leopold -> duke Charles Edward -> princess Sibylla -> king Carl Gustav

Last edited:
Part of King's speech
"Over the years we have had several occasions to meet with Your Royal Highnesses and the Royal Family. Each time we have been warmly received, and, perhaps needless to say, we have many dear memories from our stays. The most recent one was when Queen Silvia visited You at Highgrove on a very spontaneous stopover at the end of last year. I know that You then talked about coming here today."

There are plenty of visits that go on between the British Royal Family and other European royal families behind the scenes. I think the British Royals are a little less 'showy' than perhaps the other royal families when it comes to their relations with their extend royal family. I don't mean that in a negative way but the British Royals don't seem to like publicity and view these meeting as private occasions. It's know for instance that Queen Beatrix was staying at Balmoral the night Diana died. Queen Margrethe is a frequent visitor of Prince Charles at Highgrove. And the King and Queen of Norway are very popular British royal circles in fact I believe that Queen Elizabeth II has a very soft spot for Queen Sonja. There's a picture of Queen Sonja and Queen Elizabeth II during a visit to Windsor Castle and Queen Elizabeth II gives Queen Sonja a big hug...the Queen doesn't hug many people...I'm going to see if I can find it.

Part of King's speech

I had not realised that the BRF and their Swedish counterparts were close. That said, I think it is a testament to the importance accorded to C&C by the SRF that Victoria took a break from her maternity leave so soon after the birth of Estelle to appear at the lunch. She could well have just waited till the private dinner in the evening.

There are no blood ties between Charles and Carl Gustav, but Charles' paternal grandmother, princess Alice, was the sister of Carl Gustav's step-grandmother, queen Louise, sisters to the earl of Mountbatten who was a close friend of Charles.

Wait, but Carl Gustav's actual grandmother was also a descendant of Queen Victoria. They are related, just not as closely as the Norwegian monarchy.

On another note, I'm hoping that TRH brought a fabulous present for Princess Estelle! Since they seem to relish the role of grandparents, I believe they'll have at least visited the baby privately.

The British Royal Family is related to most European Royal Families through Queen Victoria and Christian IX of Denmark. Te closest relation by blood is to the Norwegian Royal Family.

Queen Elizabeth and King Harald are second cousins. Their most recent common ancestor is Edward VII.
Edward VII - Princess Maud - Olav V - King Harald
Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II

Queen Elizabeth and King Carl Gustav are third cousins, their most common recent ancestor being Queen Victoria.
Queen Victoria - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn - Princess Margaret of Connaught - Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Vasterbotten - Carl XVI Gustav
Queen Victoria - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II

Queen Margrethe of Denmark and Queen Elizabeth are also third cousins, their most common recent ancestor being Queen Victoria.
Queen Victoria - Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn - Princess Margaret of Connaught - Princess Ingrid of Sweden - Margrethe II
Queen Victoria - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II

- Queen Elizabeth and King Juan Carlos of Spain are third cousins.
- Queen Elizabeth and King Albert of Belgians are third cousins.
- Queen Elizabeth and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg are fourth cousins.
- Queen Elizabeth and Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands are fifth cousins.

There are no blood ties between Charles and Carl Gustav, but Charles' paternal grandmother, princess Alice, was the sister of Carl Gustav's step-grandmother, queen Louise, sisters to the earl of Mountbatten who was a close friend of Charles.

Prince Charles and King Carl Gustav are very much related by blood; they are third cousins once removed.
King Carl Gustav is Queen Victoria's great-great-grandson, whereas Prince Charles is her great-great-great grandson.
They have similar blood relation through King Christian of Denmark

Last edited:
I had a strange impression during their 2 Visits, they are the British Crown Princes without being sure they will be King Charles and Queen Camilla. What do you think ?

:previous:
I'm not sure I understand you.
Prince Charles will become King unless he predeceases his mother.
Camilla will become Queen (consort) as soon as Prince Charles is King.
Since the necessary condition for Charles' accession to the throne is his mother's death, I'm quite certain he is content to remain a crown prince for years to come.

Interestingly though, Charles and Camilla were greeted with full honours that normally would be reserved for the Monarch only; I can totally see King Charles and Queen Camilla in making, so to say. :)

Victoria looks wonderful! She looks great after giving birth just a month ago!

Lovely to see Princess Christina as well.
The whole family was out in force to greet Charles and Camilla.

Last edited:
Victoria starting to work already after a month. That's dedication. I hope Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall had the chance to meet little Estelle!

Royal tour is child's play for Camilla! Duchess of Cornwall charms the crowds with enthusiastic reading of The Gruffalo

The Duchess of Cornwall shared one of her favourite children's books with a rapt audience of pirates and princesses in Sweden today.Glasses perched on the end of her nose, Camilla put her all into the reading of Julia Donaldson's best-selling children's book The Gruffalo, using different voices for the various characters.The children at the British International Primary School, just outside Stockholm, were in fancy dress as characters from their favourite books, which the Duchess admired as she toured the classrooms with Sweden's Queen Silvia.

Victoria starting to work already after a month. That's dedication. I hope Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall had the chance to meet little Estelle!

Queen Silvia said they might arrange it, so probably yes.
Can't wait till we get to "meet" her. :)

The mark of a good storyteller, using different voices for each character. Camilla really immersed herself in her reading; this must have been so entertaining for the audience.

And I've noticed in several photos that Silvia has her right hand in a cast. Anyone know what happened?

Last edited:
The mark of a good storyteller, using different voices for each character. Camilla really immersed herself in her reading; this must have been so entertaining for the audience.

I'm sure she's had quite a bit of experience reading to her grandchildren; it must be a real treat for them. :)

Back
Top Bottom