The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-11-2015, 03:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Gudrun Schyman, the spokesperson of political party Feminist Initiative, gave an interview to Expressen's political section.
Schyman wants Crown Princess Victoria to take over - as a president.
- I would gladly vote for her.
Would she do a better job than the king?
- Yes, there is probably no one who has understood that he has been in the right place in life.

Schyman believes neither in God - or the king. It is high time for him to hand the throne over to Crown Princess Victoria, she thinks.
- Yes, I think absolutely that. He, unlike myself, should actually retire, hahaha.
Why then?
- Yes, I think she is very, very good. I would surely wish that we abolished the royal family, everyone knows that by now. I think Victoria would very likely be elected as president. And I would really allow her to feel the confidence from the Swedish people. I would gladly vote for her because I think, as far as I know her, that she is a very wise person.
She would do a better job than the king?
- Yes, I think so. He can with the right of his age to withdraw and rest on his laurels. I mean, there is probably no one who has understood that he has been in the right place in life. He has not expressed it. And he has the opportunity to retire because of his age, I think he should indulge that to himself.
Gudrun Schyman_ Vi måste modernisera vår syn på arbetstid _ Politik _ Expressen
Translation

Old 06-11-2015, 03:31 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I suppose it would have helped the argument if ms. Schyman would have explained just why the king should retire.

Not that I disagree, I find abdications a very healthy thing as was recently shown in Belgium, Spain, the Netherlands and even the Vatican.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:12 AM
Serene Highness

Yes I heard about it that the crownprincess couple is very popular and the King, Queen and the rest of the family is very unpopular
Old 06-11-2015, 05:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
Yes I heard about it that the crownprincess couple is very popular and the King, Queen and the rest of the family is very unpopular

The King and Queen is not that unpopular but V and D is with a good margin ahead of them. Probably because they are the Crown Princess couple and still quite young. Many people can identify themselves with Victoria as her personality is common and not royal at all. Still she can represent with full grace and dignity whenever it is expected. Many swedes also remember how long Victoria and Daniel had to fight for each other and have a lot of sympaties for them. Then Daniel turned out to be a very good representant for Sweden too and that helps alot.

Carl Philip and Madeleine is very invisible and doesn't do alot of engagements. Many people feel that they can't 'reach them" and get close to them as they can with the Crown Princess couple and to a certain degree also with the King and Queen.
They are so invisible that they only get attention from the media around wedding, christenings, funerals and when they have done something negative. They can absolutely get popular again but they have to prove it and fight for it.
Especially Madeleine who doesn't even plan to live in Sweden, perform a minimal amount of engagements, only be visible when there is parties like the Nobel festivities and the national day but wants to keep her titles. Many swedes have difficult to swollow that.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I suppose it would have helped the argument if ms. Schyman would have explained just why the king should retire.

Gudrun Schyman is one of
swedens most famous left wing politicians and a huge and loud supporter of republic. The day she says something positive about the monarchy i will eat up my hat 😄😄
Old 06-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

The King of Sweden is the Monarch with the less power of Europe and organise in 5 years 3 Church tiara Weddings .
Old 06-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Aristocracy

Really great info about the popularity of the Swedish Royal Family from a Swedish, Hans Rickard.
Great to hear that Kronprinsessan Victoria and her husband Prince Daniel are consistently getting along well with the Swedish masses. I wonder what she would say about Ms.Schyman's opinion. But for me, I want to see her as Queen...
Quite bad news for the rest, though. They have to work triple-y hard, and lose some of their unreachability so that people could reconsider...
Old 06-11-2015, 07:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria and Daniel aren't just popular, they are respected because of how they do their work. The press reports and people at their blogs and the social media tell how they are well-informed and acquainted with the matters discussed at the events and really listen to the people. Victoria makes notes to her notebook in many events, that makes people feel that she really is interested about what is told to her and is not there just because it is her work.
Of course the king and queen are also respected because of their work ethics.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Victoria and Daniel aren't just popular, they are respected because of how they do their work. The press reports and people at their blogs and the social media tell how they are well-informed and acquainted with the matters discussed at the events and really listen to the people. Victoria makes notes to her notebook in many events, that makes people feel that she really is interested about what is told to her and is not there just because it is her work.
Of course the king and queen are also respected because of their work ethics.
I agree. They are not mostly popular in the celebrity/young person way. Most people really respect Victoria.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Sweden gears up for royal wedding as republican sentiments rise | World news | The Guardian
Old 06-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The King of Sweden is the Monarch with the less power of Europe and organise in 5 years 3 Church tiara Weddings .
What has power to do with having family Jewels and use these in grand weddings? The Duke of Northumberland is no royal, but his daughter Lady Melissa Percy wore a stunning diadem for her wedding and even arrived with a splendid horse-drawn carriage from her House, in more style than some real royal weddings... This proves that it has nothing to do with "power" but everything with tradition.

By the way, no any constitutional monarch in Europe has any real executive power. Not Elizabeth II, not Willem-Alexander, not Harald V, not Henri, all of them are powerless without any ministerial contraseign. On their turn the ministers are accountable for Parliament.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
What has power to do with having family Jewels and use these in grand weddings? The Duke of Northumberland is no royal, but his daughter Lady Melissa Percy wore a stunning diadem for her wedding and even arrived with a splendid horse-drawn carriage from her House, in more style than some real royal weddings... This proves that it has nothing to do with "power" but everything with tradition.

By the way, no any constitutional monarch in Europe has any real executive power. Not Elizabeth II, not Willem-Alexander, not Harald V, not Henri, all of them are powerless without any ministerial contraseign. On their turn the ministers are accountable for Parliament.

That is true. Most other European monarchies simply keep the fiction that the monarch has real executive powers. I suppose the King of the Belgians (and maybe of Norway ?) is a slight exception in the sense that he appears to be actually more involved with government formation and actual government business than his Dutch, Spanish or British counterparts for example.

Anyway, for a monarch that is so "powerless", I am actually quite impressed though with the high profile role King Carl Gustaf and CP Victoria seem to play in foreign relations as they are frequently seen leading overseas business, science or cultural Swedish missions. In a recent diplomatic incident with Saudi Arabia, the King was actually said to have intervened personally to smooth things out with the Saudis.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That is true. Most other European monarchies simply keep the fiction that the monarch has real executive powers. I suppose the King of the Belgians (and maybe of Norway ?) is a slight exception in the sense that he appears to be actually more involved with government formation and actual government business than his Dutch, Spanish or British counterparts for example.

Anyway, for a monarch that is so "powerless", I am actually quite impressed though with the high profile role King Carl Gustaf and CP Victoria seem to play in foreign relations as they are frequently seen leading overseas business, science or cultural Swedish missions. In a recent diplomatic incident with Saudi Arabia, the King was actually said to have intervened personally to smooth things out with the Saudis.
That is the same with most other monarchs and therefore a "pain in the *ss" for their country's politicians who preferrably wants to hold the monarch as short as possible. Because monarchs stay for decades and decades, they build a fabulous and unbeatable network and personal connections. Even though their formal power is very limited, they seem to have informal power and lots of influence. When the palace calls, people start running. No need for, but it is a reflex. The royals know that and can use it.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olyashka View Post
Really great info about the popularity of the Swedish Royal Family from a Swedish, Hans Rickard.
Great to hear that Kronprinsessan Victoria and her husband Prince Daniel are consistently getting along well with the Swedish masses. I wonder what she would say about Ms.Schyman's opinion. But for me, I want to see her as Queen...
Quite bad news for the rest, though. They have to work triple-y hard, and lose some of their unreachability so that people could reconsider...
What "unreachability"??

Victoria is married to her personal trainer and Carl-Philip will make a former reality TV starlet into a princess in less than 24 hours. How much more...reachable...can the family get?

The Swedish Royals are accessible if nothing else.

The only thing left is for them to melt down all their jewelry, vacate their palaces and villas, and move into condos next door to their subjects.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 06-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

Popularity of the Monarchy in Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
What "unreachability"??

Victoria is married to her personal trainer and Carl-Philip will make a former reality TV starlet into a princess in less than 24 hours. How much more...reachable...can the family get?

The Swedish Royals are accessible if nothing else.

The only thing left is for them to melt down all their jewelry, vacate their palaces and villas, and move into condos next door to their subjects.

You misunderstood me. I talked about their personalites.
Not about who they are married to. You get reachable by being reachable to the people and by how you choose to connect with them. Not by who you marry.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

From this article
"Most young people, however, don’t really feel too strongly, she said. They treat the royal family much like they do the Kardashians."

That doesn't sound good at all, the royal family treated like the Kardashians. And this wedding pushes it even more to that.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
From this article
"Most young people, however, don’t really feel too strongly, she said. They treat the royal family much like they do the Kardashians."

That doesn't sound good at all, the royal family treated like the Kardashians. And this wedding pushes it even more to that.

Well those articles always pops up around huge royal events. It's more or less the republican associations and the (very) liberal associations that
needs to show that they still exist.

What irritates me is that a few persons can so easily claim to be spokepersons for the whole swedish population without anyone having a chance to debate with them. Credits to Aftonbladet and Expressen there who this week have hosted discussions between the royalist associations and the republic associations.

Even though the support of the swedish royal family is nowhere near as big as it once was, the opinion polls has never showed a majority for making Sweden a republic. And i am completely confident that an election about keeping the monarchy would show a much bigger support than the opinion polls can do.

The monarchy is a huge part of the Swedish history. People realises that when it comes to a decision point. That's why the parliament despite having a majority for a republic among the Swedish mp:s doesn't do anything at all in this question.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Well those articles always pops up around huge royal events.
Yes, but the court should do much more work to get good articles about the royal family's work to the newspapers. To make a document about a week of the royal family and show how they prepare to their work events and what they do at the Palace when they are not at some event. Many people, especially the young ones, think that the royals just pop up to some event dressed at expensive outfits and after that go home and have free time until the next event. That is why they are compared to celebrities. That is why the people wonder where the apanage goes to. And because of the press writes just about "luxury holidays", which brand the royal women are wearing and about their love life.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Trust the Guardian to scratch around and come up with this sort of an article. This newspaper's journalists are always waiting for some sort of republican tsunami to arise and sweep all monarchies away. They wait and wait and...
Old 06-13-2015, 03:32 AM
Serene Highness

Popularity of the Monarchy in Sweden

Quote:
Yes, but the court should do much more work to get good articles about the royal family's work to the newspapers. To make a document about a week of the royal family and show how they prepare to their work events and what they do at the Palace when they are not at some event. Many people, especially the young ones, think that the royals just pop up to some event dressed at expensive outfits and after that go home and have free time until the next event. That is why they are compared to celebrities. That is why the people wonder where the apanage goes to. And because of the press writes just about "luxury holidays", which brand the royal women are wearing and about their love life.

I agree with you about that they could easily do a lot more to show how they really work, all the planning, their work at their office's, all the meetings, all the visits both planned and not planned, how the place works and what everyone who work at the Palace does. All these things that you never get to know from reading the newspapers who only cares about their clothes, parties, glamours and scandals.
I especially liked the danish tv-program "Kongehuset indefra" a few years ago and i remember i thought about when we are going to see a "Kungahuset inifrån" from the Swedish royal court.

And it doesn't help them that they have a tragically bad press department.
They really need to reform their pr-department, switch out most people who work there and reform how they work. The recruitment of Margareta Thorgren was apparently a disaster.
The department that should help the King with his image and make him good in front of the people is way too often doing excactly the opposite. Maybe they should bring in Christina Saliba to help the King and Queen too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Trust the Guardian to scratch around and come up with this sort of an article. This newspaper's journalists are always waiting for some sort of republican tsunami to arise and sweep all monarchies away. They wait and wait and...

More or less the same situation in the swedish parliament. The mp:s are waiting and waiting and waiting for that tsunami that will take the royal family and the palace with it and then our old former prime ministers can take their turns as presidents.

Tags
king carl xvi gustav, sweden