The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

The king's popularity has this week been going down.
It all started when the king commented to SVT Madeleine's pregnancy when he and the queen were on a county visit:
How did you find out the news?
- I'm afraid I do not speak of. But as father to a daughter, I think you'll find out in a very special way. And it's fun and nice.
How's the princess?
- Yes, she is feeling great. She is not here now, she's in New York.
Were you surprised?
- Hey you, (laughs) ... I think it's pretty normal that it's very nice when these things happen. That's nothing strange about it.
Will you be active grandparents ...
- Of course!
... and help with diapers and stuff?
- Obviously we will be active! I'll shut down the whole store and just deal with it all the time. Though she lives away in New York, of course, so I will not be in Sweden for several years, for sure. So it will be a good thing ...
Will the princess move back to Sweden?
- That's also interesting, huh. Certainly. She may move to Iceland instead, I think. It is better there.
Kungen: "Skojigt och trevligt" - Nyheter | SVT.se

There was a lot of talk at the social media, people didn't like what the king said and how he said it. They didn't think that he was funny at all. And the press started to write about this too, and they remembered that the king has been angry and irritated many times this year.

Resumé about the king and media
When SR's reporter Mathias Lindholm asked the king, "How it feels to be a grandfather?" the king mocked the reporter by making faces, mimicking nervous vocalizations and exclaim: "mehhhh oh, oh, oh how excited I become. Wait and see until you'll get Grandpa."
PR consultant Staffan Dopping on K-Street Advisors believes that the interview shows that the king doesn't respect the media.
- The King dislikes getting into situations where he is expected to occur spontaneously. It's clear that he has no respect for the interviewer or media company. He has been under pressure for a long time, and often the press touched private affairs where anyone would feel pained if it was told in the media. The king is also human, and here he doesn't seem to have the strength to be professional. The king misses that bantering demeanor toward a reporter ultimately becomes bantering attitude to the people, and it damages confidence.
PR consultant Paul Ronge:
- This shows that he doesn't take the mission to communicate through the media seriously. He should do so, as well paid he is. As head of state he is Sweden's foremost public relations representative. A job he repeatedly misbehaves. Victoria should take over as soon as the toddler years are over because the king is repeatedly so careless with his task. The problem is that he has become the Republican's best friend. They can refer to his actions when they speak for their cause. The nightmare of the press would be in case Victoria and Daniel take over. They have shown that they take their task seriously and work for Sweden in time. As the main representative of Sweden the court should act as a professional PR agency, but the king is tired and acts for Sweden out of time.
Bertil Ternert has seen the interview. He argues that the king answers the way he does because he gets irrelevant questions.
- I understand that the king jokes. He is on a county visit and when journalists ask about other things he usually jokes. I usually tell the journalists that the king gladly answers questions about the county visit, but they can't expect answers when they ask irrelevant questions. The local journalists always ask questions related to the visit, but the national media is not perhaps as interested in how the king experiences Åtvidaberg.
Resumé Paul Ronge Bäst för monarkin om kungen avgår
Translation

Editorialist Eric Erfors in Expressen
Sweden's head of state. For Sweden - With the Times?
No, this is nothing more than upper-class arrogance - in full accordance with the boarding school spirit, we recently have had to learn more about.
After 40 years on the job as the Sweden's head of state should have learned these basic and really not that difficult, shall we say, etiquette rules.
Bertil Ternert told to Resume: "I often tell journalists that the king gladly answers questions about the county visit. But they can't expect answers when they ask irrelevant questions."
The "irrelevant" to be well translated into sensitive issues. What if the prime minister's press officer Roberta Ahlenius would urge journalists to just ask questions to Obama on "how nice it is in Stockholm." And certainly not on such "irrelevant" subjects such as Syria or the NSA's global surveillance system. The press officer would immediately have left her position. But Ternert may keep his job.
The king should know how to behave. Sour and bitter over various publications? Possibly, but it does not justify his attitude, his bantering tone and adult bullying of various journalists.
I wish that Sweden had a head of state who performed on par with the importance of his task. King Carl XVI Gustaf seems after 40 years be really tired of his job. In both Belgium and Holland have sitting regent retired this year. Time to let Crown Princess Victoria to take over?
Vet hut, kungen Eric Erfors
Translation

Old 09-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The king's popularity has this week been going down.
It all started when the king commented to SVT Madeleine's pregnancy when he and the queen were on a county visit:
How did you find out the news?
- I'm afraid I do not speak of. But as father to a daughter, I think you'll find out in a very special way. And it's fun and nice.
How's the princess?
- Yes, she is feeling great. She is not here now, she's in New York.
Were you surprised?
- Hey you, (laughs) ... I think it's pretty normal that it's very nice when these things happen. That's nothing strange about it.
Will you be active grandparents ...
- Of course!
... and help with diapers and stuff?
- Obviously we will be active! I'll shut down the whole store and just deal with it all the time. Though she lives away in New York, of course, so I will not be in Sweden for several years, for sure. So it will be a good thing ...
Will the princess move back to Sweden?
- That's also interesting, huh. Certainly. She may move to Iceland instead, I think. It is better there.
Kungen: "Skojigt och trevligt" - Nyheter | SVT.se
Most of the questions themselves were silly in the first place. What answers do they expect for such questions..

Quote:

There was a lot of talk at the social media, people didn't like what the king said and how he said it. They didn't think that he was funny at all. And the press started to write about this too, and they remembered that the king has been angry and irritated many times this year.
I cant imagine a monarch's popularity booming or waning just because he didnt give 'funny' answers to some ridiculous questions.. If the sense of humour and spontaneity in answering is the measure, then Elizabeth II would have been consigned to history ages ago..There are better things to discuss about a monarch who has served for 40 years.
Anyways I have no idea how Swedes see their monarchy..Just my view..

Old 09-07-2013, 04:53 AM
Aristocracy

As much as i love Victoria, i don't want her to be Queen now so she can enjoy her daughter. However, the King should try to be nicer: those were irrelevant questions, but they were easy and nice, nothing too private!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
I cant imagine a monarch's popularity booming or waning just because he didnt give 'funny' answers to some ridiculous questions.. If the sense of humour and spontaneity in answering is the measure, then Elizabeth II would have been consigned to history ages ago..There are better things to discuss about a monarch who has served for 40 years.
Anyways I have no idea how Swedes see their monarchy..Just my view..
The people don't want that the king gives "funny" answers. The people were annoyed that the king was bantering and joking, when he was asked a simple question about a happy family event, the king becoming a grandfather again. I don't think that it is too much to ask that the king would be correct towards the press when he is asked questions, which aren't too private or insulting.

Ebba von Sydow, who has hosted both royal weddings and Estelle's christening programs on SVT, writes at her blog:
Nah, that's no good to hide behind some ironic comment. Dare to be happy, straight and honest instead. It had probably been easier to just thank for the good wishes, saying something about that it will be great to have another grandchild or talked about how it feels. From the heart. It is often best. Actually almost always.
Ironi i rutan Ebbas Blogg SVT.se
Old 09-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Agree LadyFinn,

He could just have delivered a few blah-blah answers and everybody would have been happy.

It's probably too late with the King, but this merely emphasize how important it is nowadays that royals actually take lessons in how to deal with the press because far from all royals are natural when in front of the camera.
King Carl Gustaf is far from being alone, when it comes to goofing up in front of the press!

But royals can learn too.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post

Stats can be interpreted in almost any way. I was just giving a summary of the article (as accurately as Google Translate allows).
Agreed. Statistics can be used and manipulated so many different ways it's almost irrelevant. (So to speak)
Old 09-20-2013, 01:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

It's interesting to compare how many congratulations/comments the royal family members have got in court Facebook due to their birthday
Daniel 16204
Victoria 7853 (her birthday is on the busiest holiday season, so it may affect)
Madeleine 7120
Carl Philip 7113
Estelle 5956
The king 5231
The queen 4125
Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It's interesting to compare how many congratulations/comments the royal family members have got in court Facebook due to their birthday
Daniel 16204
Victoria 7853 (her birthday is on the busiest holiday season, so it may affect)
Madeleine 7120
Carl Philip 7113
Estelle 5956
The king 5231
The queen 4125
Wow Daniel got the most!?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps because he's a newbie and has turned into a wonderful worker and supporter of his wife and daughter. He really got lucky with his birthday and there were some absolutely fabulous photos of he and Estelle. I hate to use the word "cute" but it's late and I can't think of another better. Pure, unadulterated sugar!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Aristocracy

I wonder whether we would dare make a link between these last messages, and the almost angry look from the king, which was reported a few days ago under the threat of the opening ceremony of the parliament, when Victoria & Daniel had a short fun, during a sort of waiting time...

I have the feeling that the sympathy between the king and Daniel is only superficial, and he might easily get irritated by a growing popularity of Daniel. The difference in a relaxed attitude when addressing an audience or media is so obvious, or simply when posing for a photo.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

It's no secret that Daniel was not CG's first choice for Victoria, but surely the King must now see that Daniel has turned into a huge asset for the SRF and that can only help the Swedish monarchy in the long run.

It beggars belief that he would give thumbs up to Sofia Hellqvist(as has been reported), but would have a problem with the modest, hardworking, former successful businessman that is Daniel Westling.

The bond between Daniel and Queen Silvia seems deep and obvious, she appears to adore him.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
It's no secret that Daniel was not CG's first choice for Victoria, but surely the King must now see that Daniel has turned into a huge asset for the SRF and that can only help the Swedish monarchy in the long run.

It beggars belief that he would give thumbs up to Sofia Hellqvist(as has been reported), but would have a problem with the modest, hardworking, former successful businessman that is Daniel Westling.

The bond between Daniel and Queen Silvia seems deep and obvious, she appears to adore him.
I wonder what the local Swedish aristocracy think of the new royal in laws
Old 09-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyalist View Post
Wow Daniel got the most!?
Tonight, congratulations to Daniel have over 72000 supporting "I like".

While the Te Deum on Sundays has 4335, the launch of the commeration festvities by Pr Cristina has 2200, the Jubileum concert has over 5000, and the festivities at the Royal Palace on Sunday have 8868....
Old 09-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Loyalist I don't know for certain, but I've heard rumors of complete disgust and that they(the aristocracy) don't take the Swedish monarchy seriously anymore..
Old 09-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Aristocracy

I have already heard that as well. It is however difficult to analyze that info. It is to be suspected that it comes mainly from anti-royalists. How to define "aristocracy"?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

More and more people want the king to leave the throne

Dagens Nyheter (DN) and Ipsos made an opinion poll.
Question 1: There is now a debate of the roll of the monarchy in Sweden. What do you think, should the monarchy be retained or abolished?
Question 2: Do you think it's time for the king to hand over the throne to Victoria so that she becomes queen or should the king remain on the throne?

Swedish people's verdict: Time to hand over the throne, the king. For the first time there are more who want Crown Princess Victoria take over now - than that the king shall remain. Meanwhile, opposition to the monarchy increases, according to a new survey.
The king traveled around Sweden to celebrate his 40 years on the throne. But it has not strengthened his position. According to the poll of those surveyed, 48 % want the king to hand over the throne, while 39 % want him to remain. It is the first time that the percentage who want the king step off is greater than the group who want him to stay. In May 2011 it was 41 % who wanted the king to hand over to Victoria, while 44 % wanted him to continue as head of state.
And the change has been rapid. As late as February 2010, 64 % of respondents said that the king should remain.
- That more people want Victoria to take over the throne may be an expression of dissatisfaction how the king does his work. But it may also be that as the king gets older and Victoria grows into her role the change of the regent becomes more natural and obvious, says Johanna Laurin Gulled, public opinion analyst at Ipsos.

The support for the monarchy has also reduced. Now 64 % want to keep the monarchy, compared to 80 % when Ipsos started their measurements in January 2005. The biggest change since the last survey in May 2011 is that the opposition to the monarchy increases, now 27 % want to abolish the monarchy, increased by 6 %. When the last survey was conducted in May 2011, the king was under fire. It had been published details of alleged infidelity and his friends' contacts with criminals.
- Now there is no similar event that could have influenced the support for the monarchy, says Johanna Laurin Gulled.
Young people are significantly more negative about the monarchy than the older ones.
- There is a clear age difference. If there really is a generational issue, that they retain their opinion later on, it will be seen in the support for the monarchy, but we can only speculate about today, says Laurin Gulled.
Allt fler vill att kungen ska lämna tronen - DN.SE
Translation

Ewa Stenberg writes at her column in DN (you have to be registrated to read the whole column)
The Swedish people have not turned a page in it's support for King Carl Gustaf. More and more people want to abolish the monarchy and the Crown Princess has now a greater support for the throne than the king. Such a shift could strengthen support for the monarchy in Sweden.
Ewa Stenberg Ett skifte kan öka stödet för monarkin - DN.SE

Expressen about the poll: The majority wants the king to resign
Majoritet vill att kungen avgår Nyheter Expressen

Aftonbladet about the poll: The verdict: Leave the throne, king. The Swedish people want to see a queen on the throne.
Domen Lämna tronen, kungen Nyheter Aftonbladet

This is very interesting. The results show that the king's nice celebrations don't have had an effect to his popularity. Or if they have, the figures must have been really low in the summer...
Old 12-21-2013, 05:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Svenska Dagbladet about the poll: More people want Victoria to take over
Fler vill att Victoria tar över Inrikes SvD
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Kings in trouble: Now the Swedes and Spaniards of them
Konger i knibe: Nu vil svenskerne og spanierne af med dem - Royale | www.bt.dk

https://translate.google.com.tr/tran...ed-dem&act=url
Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen has asked Demoskop to make a poll
The question was:
King Carl Gustaf turns 68 on April 30. Do you think he should retire, renounce the throne and transfer it to Victoria?
* Yes 48 %
* No 47 %
* No answer 5 %
Number of respondents: 1,011 people over 18 years, weighted by gender, age and party.

In 2011 only 38 % wanted the king to retire and 60 % wanted him to continue as the king.

Anders Lindholm, CEO of Demoskop:
- He has gotten older and at some point you should quit your work. It's not unnatural that people think so. Naturally the numbers increase, the older king gets. This is also a reflection of how incredibly popular Crown Princess Victoria is as a royal person.
Sören Holmberg, professor and political scientist:
- It has been three years since the last poll. It may simply be that he has gotten older, people think it's natural that he would retire. Get the chance to enjoy and pass on to Victoria. I have difficulties to see that the king would abdicate. That tradition is not within the Bernadotte family.
Lennart Nilsson, Associate Professor of Public Administration at the University of Gothenburg:
- "The reluctant monarch" -book definitely lowered the confidence for the king. The King turned the page, but the Swedes didn't. The Crown Princess has strong support and without her probably the figures for the royal family would have been completely different.
There has been two abdications in Europe.
Albert Nieboer, a royal photographer, who follows royals worldwide:
- Since Willem-Alexander became king, it is no longer as conservative. There is a younger generation and people love this change of a regent. People's love to former Queen Beatrix has not decreased, on the contrary. Since Philippe became king, he has a different confidence. Earlier, he went in his father's shadow. Now he stands on his own feet and also he has got new love of the people since he became regent.
Annika Sönnerberg from the court press department says to Expressen:
- We have no comments on the survey.

Johan T Lindwall says on the video that this poll comes as a cold shower for the king just when he is becoming a grandfather again. His popularity is lowest ever. Lindwall also thinks that the people don't like the way the king acts with people, he is sometimes quite arrogant. And Victoria is becoming more and more popular with the Swedes who see that she would do a wonderful job. One problem is that the king doesn't take the results of these kind of polls seriously, like Victoria and Daniel would do if they would get these kind of figures. After the abdications in Europe there came debate in Sweden if the king should abdicate. The king has no plan to abdicate, he has born to be king and will be king as long as he lives. Maybe the king should abdicate when he is 75, there is seven years to that. Lindwall has spoken with people from the Netherlands and Belgium. Willem-Alexander and Beatrix are both now more popular than ever. Lindwall says that Victoria can't become more popular since her popularity is sky high but the king could increase his popularity if he would say "This day in year XX I will leave the throne to my daughter" and the people's confidence in the king and in monarchy would increase.
Svenska folket Ta över i år Victoria Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Fler vill se Victoria ta över Inrikes TT Senaste nytt Aftonbladet
Old 02-20-2014, 04:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Johan T Lindwall:
"Therefore the king refuses to hand over the throne"

Another poll Demoskop made for Expressen:
Question: When do you think the king should leave the throne to Victoria?
Number of respondents: 1,011 people over 18 years, weighted by gender, age and party.
Answers:
* Within 5 years 50%
* When the king dies 27%
* Within 10 years 12%
* No answer 7%
* Within 15 years 3%
* Within 20 years 2%

The confidence for the king is collapsing and the Swedish people want Victoria take the throne. Forget that he abdicates. The King does not seem to think it's something fun anymore to be king. Neither the Swedish people seem to think that he has especially fun or doing a good job.
Expressen with Demoskop view additional new figures on the declining support for the king with the question "When do you think the king should leave the throne to Victoria?".
A full 50 percent responded within five years. Three years ago, only 43 percent who thought the same thing.
What does this say? Why the confidence for the king decreases?
I would say that it mainly depends on three things:
1. Victoria's immense popularity.
Crown Princess does a fantastic PR-work for the royal family and not even a crack in the foot and crutches prevents her from, for example, do official work in Germany. Anywhere with a smile that charmed everyone. Obviously, those who are for a monarchy like to see her as soon as possible on the throne as the queen.
2. Abdications in Holland and Belgium.
In 2013 two royal houses in Europe handed over to the younger generation. Many people think that it could also happen in Sweden.
3. The king's arrogance.
The king seems not to have learned from history and neither he seems to think it is especially fun anymore at work. He seems to suffer on his trips, everything seems to be tiresome. When the news of Madeleine expecting a child came, he met the media with banter and nonchalance. Completely unacceptable. Later, he claimed that it was "a joke". I am convinced that it was not. He was asked in SVT's annual program, "does he regret anything?" he answered quickly: "Not a thing!".
Maybe a little more humility and joy? The king will never abdicate. He is fully committed to it is a mission for life. Pity.
If the king would be little more open in his mind, he would realize one thing: Swedish royal family has a great asset. It's Crown Princess Victoria.
Därför vägrar kungen att lämna över tronen Johan T Lindwall
Translation

Tags
king carl xvi gustav, sweden