Popularity of the Monarchy in Sweden

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting how public expectations have changed in less than 100 years. Not so long ago, it was normal (and maybe even acceptable?) for a King to have a few mistresses. Now it is a reason for a King to abdicate. Just interesting how the tide of public opinion has changed on this issue.

Interesting how public expectations have changed in less than 100 years. Not so long ago, it was normal (and maybe even acceptable?) for a King to have a few mistresses. Now it is a reason for a King to abdicate. Just interesting how the tide of public opinion has changed on this issue.

Given the high divorce rates it also reflects just how hypocritical the public can be.

I don't think the affairs are the reason for the demand for the king to abdicate, it's rather the fact that one of the men who claims that he have provided the king and his friends with female company is a known mobster, which raises the question if the women were there of their own free will or if they were forced or prostitutes. About the same time as these accusations against the king were made, there was also trials against some well-known men with high social positions who had sexually abused young women, some of them under-aged, and even if the king wasn't involved in that dirty business, even the slightest suspicion that a mobster were in some way connected to the king and his affairs cast a dark shadow over him, that he was using the women he was involved with.

Had the king had a few mistresses from the same social circles that he moves in and kept it discreet I doubt there would have been any demands for an abdication, it's the shadiness of it all that casts doubt over the king's character and his suitability as a monarch.

Thanks for the clarification. This certainly changes the story.

At Expressen's program "Pihlblad & Svensson" they told about a new research made by Novus.
The people were asked, who is "a very good or good ambassador" for Sweden

The results:
Crown princess Victoria 82 % of the people think that Victoria is a very good or good ambassador
Prince Daniel 63 %
Queen Silvia 59 %
King Carl Gustaf 54 %
Prince Carl Philip 39 %
Princess Madeleine 32 %
Sofia Hellqvist 11 %
Chris O'Neill 6 %

They looked Madeleine and Chris a little closer.
26 % of the people think that Madeleine is "a very bad or bad" ambassador for Sweden
35 % of the people think that Chris is "a very bad or bad" ambassador for Sweden
Pihlblad & Svensson - Anna Serner och Johan T Lindwall | Pihlblad & Svensson | Politik

Did they also measure how many people think that Sofia Hellqvist will be a bad- very bad ambassador for Sweden? :hiding:

Last edited:
I understand, that Chris O'N doesnt even wish to be an ambassador for Sweden; he want's to stay a foreign and private citizen who happend to marry Madeleine. That's all.

Like others did befor him. No titel, no part-time-working-royal-duties.. nothing of that sort. They will not live in Sweden ..
So I basically can't see, why he is included in that list.

As to Sophia - that's quite another matter! And it show's that most people share the feeling, that a nude model won't do.

The most interesting detail for me is that Queen Silvia only has 59%, 5% more than her "unpopular" husband. In Germany she is always presented as extremely popular and the saviour of the Swedish monarchy (well, perhaps she was in the 70ies and by giving birth to Victoria)

I don't see why Sofia and Chris are included at all. She is not yet engaged and he made it clear he will continue his former life.

I don't see why Sofia and Chris are included at all. She is not yet engaged and he made it clear he will continue his former life.

Perhaps they wanted to know how the people see Sofia and Chris, what is their opinion of the two of them.

I think it's also very interesting that prince Daniel is more popular than the queen. If this poll had been taken in 2009, his numbers would have been quite low. IMO, his love for Victoria and their daughter, along with his hard work and dedication and support, has paid off. Maybe the other young royals should study (and follow) his example more closely.

Perhaps they wanted to know how the people see Sofia and Chris, what is their opinion of the two of them.
Still, the question should not be: Who is a good ambassador for Sweden? Since they are not representing Sweden, even those who like them will probably answer with: No.

And opinions can change. Marie of Denmark was not as popular in 2007 as she is now.

Historian and Victoria's and Madeleine's former teacher Herman Lindqvist today in Aftonbladet:

Royal weddings, and births and deaths of the royal family are events that usually increase support for the monarchy. The latest poll shows that only 57 percent of the Swedish people support the monarchy and it's a sinking support. Twenty-five years ago, the support was almost ninety percent...
...The majority of members of the Swedish Parliament, even the bourgeois, are against the monarchy, but they do nothing about it as long as their voters want to keep the king... ...For each new marriage where royalty marries a non-royal tarnishes the royal splendor. The royals are becoming increasingly common. They marry with ordinary people and get regular children attending regular schools and select common occupations... ... Eventually, more and more will ask: What is this? What are we doing? Why should we stand and bow to this privileged family with anything less royal blood in his veins. Isn´t it time that we ourselves, in democratic elections, must decide who will be our head of state? Anyone selected for other qualifications than that he happens to be conceived in a royal bedchamber.
This critical point may already happen in about 10 years. But the monarchy can be saved for at least 30 years ahead due to the king himself. By that he abdicates voluntarily.
This would make Victoria the regent and Estelle crown princess. The change would create new energy and bring life to the monarchy and generate positive publicity unprecedentedly. Victoria is, rightly, the most popular of the royal family, and she has already shown herself perfectly capable of managing the work with the splendor and charm. Not since Gustaf VI Adolf became king at the age of sixty-eight, a Swedish monarch has been so well prepared and fit for her role as Victoria. King's voluntary abdication would also give him more positive publicity and popular support than he has had during his 40 years as a ruler.
Not one Bernadotte has resigned voluntarily. They have all been very old on the throne and that's probably the king also plans to do. But he has the motto: "For Sweden at the time." Voluntary departure would be the absolute best for Sweden and Swedish monarchy. It requires just a little royal courage...
Bröllopet försvagar monarkin Herman Lindqvist Kolumnister Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
A good article overall, but it fails to get straight some things. Scandinavian monarchies have for many decades been considered less segregated, living more ordinary lives, marrying commoners etc, which has only made them more popular in the eyes of the respective publics. It has been a Scandinavian innovation over the last decades, in large repsect, to successfully couple royalty, with all the hereditiary privilege it instantly stands for, with common lifestyle. So I don't think that is a problem.

On the other hand, the nearly 60% popularity of the monarchy -if it is so- and the surprisingly low rates of some of its protagonists -I'm surprised by the low rates of the reigning couple and Madeleine- are indeed a cause of alarm. Most likely these are due to all that has been said and written about the king in the recent years. I'm particularly stricken by what appears to have been the strong propensity of the press and maybe even some in politics to play this stuff exceedingly, -and certainly much more than the actual substance of those rumours. It shows that there is a strong section of Swedish establishment and opinion makers who are willing and capable to openly rival the monarchy at anytime -unlike what is the case, for example, in Britain.
In general, I don't thing they'd be going anywhere anytime soon; but there's alot to address..

Aftonbladet writes about a new research done by the SOM Institute: The Swedes still have a very low confidence in the royal family. On a scale of minus 100 to plus 100 the confidence is now as low as plus five.
- It is very low and the trend is downward, says Lennart Nilsson, associate professor and senior researcher at the SOM Institute.
Despite the low confidence, only a fifth of the population wants to abolish the monarchy. Nilsson says that the scrutiny has become much more critical, which is presumably also spilled over to the Swedes' attitude to the court.
Roger Lundgren, chief editor of Kungliga magasinet, is critical to how the Swedish journalists write about the royal family. You don't want to report on what they are working with. The Queen has raised over half a billion for Childhood, the rest of the world knows that. But you can't tell it in the Swedish media, because then you are sucking up to the royal family.
Although the royal family doesn't go home with the Swedes, Crown Princess Victoria definitely does. Her popularity is sky high, partly because we think she handles her duties, says Nilsson, the wedding with Prince Daniel was also positive. She stood up and wanted to marry him and it has brought the respect of the people. Lundgren truly appreciates the Crown Princess: She is the best human being in the world. What you see is what you get, as well. She is honest, happy and has tremendous poise. Sweden will never become a republic as long as Victoria is there.
Bred skepsis mot kungahuset Nyheter Aftonbladet

Has the King's Jubilee increased support for the Swedish Monarchy?

Ι think that will be in a few years from now...

Ι think that will be in a few years from now...

The King's jubilee is this year,2013 marking 40 years since he became King of Sweden.

Ok, sorry..
Then the question stands -how has it, if at all, impacted the image and popularity of the monarchy in Sweden..?

The King's jubilee is this year,2013 marking 40 years since he became King of Sweden.

How popular is the Swedish Monarchy/ Royal Family Right now? Is there any websites where you can see current and old surveys/polls and data taken on The Swedish Monarchy like the British Monarchy?

The king's popularity has this week been going down.
It all started when the king commented to SVT Madeleine's pregnancy when he and the queen were on a county visit:
How did you find out the news?
- I'm afraid I do not speak of. But as father to a daughter, I think you'll find out in a very special way. And it's fun and nice.
How's the princess?
- Yes, she is feeling great. She is not here now, she's in New York.
Were you surprised?
- Hey you, (laughs) ... I think it's pretty normal that it's very nice when these things happen. That's nothing strange about it.
Will you be active grandparents ...
- Of course!
... and help with diapers and stuff?
- Obviously we will be active! I'll shut down the whole store and just deal with it all the time. Though she lives away in New York, of course, so I will not be in Sweden for several years, for sure. So it will be a good thing ...
Will the princess move back to Sweden?
- That's also interesting, huh. Certainly. She may move to Iceland instead, I think. It is better there.
Kungen: "Skojigt och trevligt" - Nyheter | SVT.se

There was a lot of talk at the social media, people didn't like what the king said and how he said it. They didn't think that he was funny at all. And the press started to write about this too, and they remembered that the king has been angry and irritated many times this year.

Resumé about the king and media
When SR's reporter Mathias Lindholm asked the king, "How it feels to be a grandfather?" the king mocked the reporter by making faces, mimicking nervous vocalizations and exclaim: "mehhhh oh, oh, oh how excited I become. Wait and see until you'll get Grandpa."
PR consultant Staffan Dopping on K-Street Advisors believes that the interview shows that the king doesn't respect the media.
- The King dislikes getting into situations where he is expected to occur spontaneously. It's clear that he has no respect for the interviewer or media company. He has been under pressure for a long time, and often the press touched private affairs where anyone would feel pained if it was told in the media. The king is also human, and here he doesn't seem to have the strength to be professional. The king misses that bantering demeanor toward a reporter ultimately becomes bantering attitude to the people, and it damages confidence.
PR consultant Paul Ronge:
- This shows that he doesn't take the mission to communicate through the media seriously. He should do so, as well paid he is. As head of state he is Sweden's foremost public relations representative. A job he repeatedly misbehaves. Victoria should take over as soon as the toddler years are over because the king is repeatedly so careless with his task. The problem is that he has become the Republican's best friend. They can refer to his actions when they speak for their cause. The nightmare of the press would be in case Victoria and Daniel take over. They have shown that they take their task seriously and work for Sweden in time. As the main representative of Sweden the court should act as a professional PR agency, but the king is tired and acts for Sweden out of time.
Bertil Ternert has seen the interview. He argues that the king answers the way he does because he gets irrelevant questions.
- I understand that the king jokes. He is on a county visit and when journalists ask about other things he usually jokes. I usually tell the journalists that the king gladly answers questions about the county visit, but they can't expect answers when they ask irrelevant questions. The local journalists always ask questions related to the visit, but the national media is not perhaps as interested in how the king experiences Åtvidaberg.
Resumé Paul Ronge Bäst för monarkin om kungen avgår
Translation

Editorialist Eric Erfors in Expressen
Sweden's head of state. For Sweden - With the Times?
No, this is nothing more than upper-class arrogance - in full accordance with the boarding school spirit, we recently have had to learn more about.
After 40 years on the job as the Sweden's head of state should have learned these basic and really not that difficult, shall we say, etiquette rules.
Bertil Ternert told to Resume: "I often tell journalists that the king gladly answers questions about the county visit. But they can't expect answers when they ask irrelevant questions."
The "irrelevant" to be well translated into sensitive issues. What if the prime minister's press officer Roberta Ahlenius would urge journalists to just ask questions to Obama on "how nice it is in Stockholm." And certainly not on such "irrelevant" subjects such as Syria or the NSA's global surveillance system. The press officer would immediately have left her position. But Ternert may keep his job.
The king should know how to behave. Sour and bitter over various publications? Possibly, but it does not justify his attitude, his bantering tone and adult bullying of various journalists.
I wish that Sweden had a head of state who performed on par with the importance of his task. King Carl XVI Gustaf seems after 40 years be really tired of his job. In both Belgium and Holland have sitting regent retired this year. Time to let Crown Princess Victoria to take over?
Vet hut, kungen Eric Erfors
Translation

Last edited:
The king's popularity has this week been going down.
It all started when the king commented to SVT Madeleine's pregnancy when he and the queen were on a county visit:
How did you find out the news?
- I'm afraid I do not speak of. But as father to a daughter, I think you'll find out in a very special way. And it's fun and nice.
How's the princess?
- Yes, she is feeling great. She is not here now, she's in New York.
Were you surprised?
- Hey you, (laughs) ... I think it's pretty normal that it's very nice when these things happen. That's nothing strange about it.
Will you be active grandparents ...
- Of course!
... and help with diapers and stuff?
- Obviously we will be active! I'll shut down the whole store and just deal with it all the time. Though she lives away in New York, of course, so I will not be in Sweden for several years, for sure. So it will be a good thing ...
Will the princess move back to Sweden?
- That's also interesting, huh. Certainly. She may move to Iceland instead, I think. It is better there.
Kungen: "Skojigt och trevligt" - Nyheter | SVT.se

Most of the questions themselves were silly in the first place. What answers do they expect for such questions..

There was a lot of talk at the social media, people didn't like what the king said and how he said it. They didn't think that he was funny at all. And the press started to write about this too, and they remembered that the king has been angry and irritated many times this year.

I cant imagine a monarch's popularity booming or waning just because he didnt give 'funny' answers to some ridiculous questions.. If the sense of humour and spontaneity in answering is the measure, then Elizabeth II would have been consigned to history ages ago..There are better things to discuss about a monarch who has served for 40 years.
Anyways I have no idea how Swedes see their monarchy..Just my view..

Last edited:
As much as i love Victoria, i don't want her to be Queen now so she can enjoy her daughter. However, the King should try to be nicer: those were irrelevant questions, but they were easy and nice, nothing too private!

I cant imagine a monarch's popularity booming or waning just because he didnt give 'funny' answers to some ridiculous questions.. If the sense of humour and spontaneity in answering is the measure, then Elizabeth II would have been consigned to history ages ago..There are better things to discuss about a monarch who has served for 40 years.
Anyways I have no idea how Swedes see their monarchy..Just my view..

The people don't want that the king gives "funny" answers. The people were annoyed that the king was bantering and joking, when he was asked a simple question about a happy family event, the king becoming a grandfather again. I don't think that it is too much to ask that the king would be correct towards the press when he is asked questions, which aren't too private or insulting.

Ebba von Sydow, who has hosted both royal weddings and Estelle's christening programs on SVT, writes at her blog:
Nah, that's no good to hide behind some ironic comment. Dare to be happy, straight and honest instead. It had probably been easier to just thank for the good wishes, saying something about that it will be great to have another grandchild or talked about how it feels. From the heart. It is often best. Actually almost always.
Ironi i rutan Ebbas Blogg SVT.se

Last edited:
Agree LadyFinn,

He could just have delivered a few blah-blah answers and everybody would have been happy.

It's probably too late with the King, but this merely emphasize how important it is nowadays that royals actually take lessons in how to deal with the press because far from all royals are natural when in front of the camera.
King Carl Gustaf is far from being alone, when it comes to goofing up in front of the press!

But royals can learn too.

Stats can be interpreted in almost any way. I was just giving a summary of the article (as accurately as Google Translate allows). :flowers:

Agreed. Statistics can be used and manipulated so many different ways it's almost irrelevant. (So to speak)

It's interesting to compare how many congratulations/comments the royal family members have got in court Facebook due to their birthday
Daniel 16204
Victoria 7853 (her birthday is on the busiest holiday season, so it may affect)
Madeleine 7120
Carl Philip 7113
Estelle 5956
The king 5231
The queen 4125

It's interesting to compare how many congratulations/comments the royal family members have got in court Facebook due to their birthday
Daniel 16204
Victoria 7853 (her birthday is on the busiest holiday season, so it may affect)
Madeleine 7120
Carl Philip 7113
Estelle 5956
The king 5231
The queen 4125

Wow Daniel got the most!?

:previous: Perhaps because he's a newbie and has turned into a wonderful worker and supporter of his wife and daughter. He really got lucky with his birthday and there were some absolutely fabulous photos of he and Estelle. I hate to use the word "cute" but it's late and I can't think of another better. Pure, unadulterated sugar! :flowers:

I wonder whether we would dare make a link between these last messages, and the almost angry look from the king, which was reported a few days ago under the threat of the opening ceremony of the parliament, when Victoria & Daniel had a short fun, during a sort of waiting time...

I have the feeling that the sympathy between the king and Daniel is only superficial, and he might easily get irritated by a growing popularity of Daniel. The difference in a relaxed attitude when addressing an audience or media is so obvious, or simply when posing for a photo.

Back
Top Bottom