Popularity of the Monarchy in Sweden

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the King's apanage actually pays for the day by day running of the court and Royal Households of the King, Queen and Crown Princess couple, is that correct? The King also pays for the expenses of Madelaine and Carl Philip and Sofia when they perform royal duties? Where does the living expenses of CP and Sofia come from? The King's private income? Is Carl Gustav's private fortune a large one?

Thank heavens the monarch doesn't have to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of royal palaces if about $7 and a half million is all he gets. Admittedly the Dutch RF do receive a spectacular deal from the Netherlands government in comparison to most other monarchies but the Swedish Royal income is very small potatoes compared to many, IMHO.

Having said all that, the trend downwards in the popularity of the monarchy, especially among young Swedes, is a real worry. If people under thirty feel that the monarchy isn't doing its job then they are hardly likely to change their views at forty or fifty and that will impact on the views of the next generation. In these circumstances I suppose the SRF will have to manage financially with what they have.

I agree except childhood. Madeleine has been groomed for years to take over childhood from her mother. She worked for it in New York and still does from London, though she gets little media acknowledgement for it.

I like that Madeleine, like Edward in the UK have been groomed as a younger child to have a very specific future role. Edward it is the DOE and Madeleine it is childhood. It also, as it's not Swedish based specifically, offers her the flexibility if they continue abroad.

Sofia does a lot, but majority is either with her private charity or supporting her husband. Playground isn't a royal charity or patronage. It would be nice, of course when back from maternity leave with baby 2, to see her take on some royal patronages of her own.

So the King's apanage actually pays for the day by day running of the court and Royal Households of the King, Queen and Crown Princess couple, is that correct? The King also pays for the expenses of Madelaine and Carl Philip and Sofia when they perform royal duties? Where does the living expenses of CP and Sofia come from? The King's private income? Is Carl Gustav's private fortune a large one?

Thank heavens the monarch doesn't have to pay for the upkeep and maintenance of royal palaces if about $7 and a half million is all he gets. Admittedly the Dutch RF do receive a spectacular deal from the Netherlands government in comparison to most other monarchies but the Swedish Royal income is very small potatoes compared to many, IMHO.

Having said all that, the trend downwards in the popularity of the monarchy, especially among young Swedes, is a real worry. If people under thirty feel that the monarchy isn't doing its job then they are hardly likely to change their views at forty or fifty and that will impact on the views of the next generation. In these circumstances I suppose the SRF will have to manage financially with what they have.

The Kings apanages pays only for him and the queen and their court and household officially. Victoria has her own appanage as heir. But any money CP, Sofia and Madeleine receive come from their fathers.

The family is certainly not the richest royal family but they certainly have significant personal wealth. And not simply the king. All three of his children have significant portfolios of investments and such, the interest of which they can quite easily live from.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understood correctly, Madeleine said in a recent interview that it is a matter of when and not if she and her family will move to Sweden and I suspect that Madeleine will increase her royal duties once she relocates but I do not see her being a full-time working royal.

As others have mentioned Carl Philip and Sofia are not full-time working royals. My understanding is that Carl Philip earns income from his design business and racing, also he got an inheritance from Bertil and also got money or will get money because he is in line to inherit assets that are designated for male descendants and he will get compensated for turning those assets over so that they will stay with the sovereign.

I don't know if Carl Philip and Sofia need to be any more worried than the other members on the royal family, save the King and Crown Princess, since they all got 1% to Carl Philip and Sofia's 0%. Silvia and Daniel do considerable royal work and got 1%, but as others have pointed out, the interpretation should not be that these royals are unpopular but that only one royal family member could be voted on and when polls are structured this way Victoria usually comes out far ahead of the rest of the Swedish Royals.

Is expressen a trusted newspaper and is this a trusted poll?

Is expressen a trusted newspaper and is this a trusted poll?

Expressen asked Demoskop to do the poll. Demoskop is one of the most well regarded Swedish research and branding consultancies, founded in 1989.
In English - Demoskop

The budget allocation for the Court Administration is approximately SEK 65 million (2015).
This covers the cost of The King's official duties, including travel and expenditure by the Office of the Marshal of the Realm and its staff departments, Personnel, Finance, Information and Press, the Office of the Marshal of the Court and H.M The Queen's Household (departments that administrate The King and Queen's activities and households), The Crown Princess's Household as well as the Royal Mews (motorised and horse-drawn transport and the care of historic carriages and harness).
This allocation, Apanage, is released at the beginning of the year. The accounts are audited by external auditors. Personnel strength in terms of permanent employees is equivalent to approximately 66 full-time positions.
The Palace Administration
The Palace Administration consists of the Office of the Governor of the Royal Palaces (management of the Royal Palaces and their grounds) and the Royal Collections (management and care of furnishings and art collections).
These two departments receive a total of some SEK 62,5 million (2015) from the State and in addition derive revenues from visitor and retailing activities at the various palaces. The budget allocation for the Palace Administration is disbursed monthly.
Ekonomi - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
Thanks LadyFinn for your detailed information about the Apanarges. I think it's fascinating how the moneys are distributed to the Monarchs and Royal households within Europe/Scandinavia.

If I understood correctly, Madeleine said in a recent interview that it is a matter of when and not if she and her family will move to Sweden and I suspect that Madeleine will increase her royal duties once she relocates but I do not see her being a full-time working royal.

Yes, she said that. And the king said that he won't abdicate. What else are they supposed to say? "Nah, I'm out of here, and I'm taking the kids with me"? "I'm really looking forward to leaving my duties to my daughter and enjoy a well earned retirement"?

Why would Madeleine return to Sweden? She can live a much more anonymous life abroad. And perhaps more importantly: why would Chris want to move to Sweden? I just don't see that happening. The only scenario in which Madeleine would come home is if the marriage breaks down, and that's not something anyone wants.

It's also true that swedish kings usually don't abdicate. But these are different times. Our king became king 44 years ago, when he was only 27. In 10 years, he'll be 81, and he would have been on the throne for over 50 years.

One thing that almost all members in the family have spoken about is that it was hard for the kids when the king and queen had to be away so much. If that can be avoided, I don't think that anyone wants a repeat of that situation. Since Victorias youngest is just a year old, I don't think that the king will abdicate anytime soon. But when the kids (and the king) are a bit older, yes, I think he will. Victoria herself is more than ready, and very popular. The monarchy is in safe hands with her as queen.

A Rojalist: Sweden will never become a republic
Sweden will never become a republic, according to Solveig Aplander Rosencrantz, Chairman of the Royalist Society.
- The support for the royal house can go up and down, but the vast majority of Swedes want to have monarchy, she says.
Next year, the Royalist Society will celebrate 30 years. Solveig Aplander Rosencrantz emphasizes that the society, which brings together royalists in Skåne, is an independent organization that has nothing to do with the Royalist Association.
- The Royalist Association is located in Stockholm. They have suggested that we should join their organization, but we want to remain as our own association in Skåne.
Solveig Aplander Rosencrantz became a member more than 20 years ago, ended up shortly in the board and has been the chairman for eight years.
- I have always admired the royal house, a feeling that has grown stronger over the years, she explains.
Two out of three Swedes want to keep the monarchy, according to a Sifo research from last year. However, the support has fallen since 1995. But Solveig Aplander Rosencrantz doesn't believe that Sweden will become a republic.
- There is no prerequisite for introducing a republic through a referendum. Our king and especially Crown Princess Victoria are very popular among the people. The Republicans also seem to think that it would be so much cheaper with a president. But I think it will be more expensive with all the processes around the presidential elections.
And you must never underestimate the value of the royal house in gathering the nation, both in joy and in difficult situations, emphasizes Solveig Aplander Rosencrantz.
- King Carl Gustaf received much praise for his speech after tsunami. People and the media want to know what he thinks. The king and queen are also effective symbols for Sweden abroad.
And not least, it is simply more festive with a royal house, she believes.
- When the king was here at Sofiero Castle last year on Sweden's national day, 15000 people arrived there. A real folk party.
Her special favorite is Crown Princess Victoria. Solveig Aplander Rosencrantz has met Victoria a number of times - at her celebration in Borgholm, when she married, but especially in connection with Svenska Lottakårens (Swedish Women's Voluntary Defence Organization) gatherings - she has had a long-term commitment to Lottakåren, where the Crown Princess is the honorary chairman.
The chairman of the Rojalist Society believes that the support for the monarchy will increase the day Victoria takes over as the head of state.
- She is natural and popular in a way that the king has never been. But it has probably with his upbringing to do and that the times have changed.
How do you see that a non-noble like Daniel Westling gets married to the royal family and becomes a prince?
- Some reacted then. Some people in our Society didn't even think it would lead to marriage - that you can become a prince just like that? But I think he is a fantastic man. He gave a fine speech when they married. I believe that many melted there and affiliated him. He has really grown into his role, and there is dignity around him. I think that the fact that he came into the picture has further strengthened the sympathies towards the royal house.
Rojalist_ Sverige kommer aldrig bli republik - Lokaltidningen Båstad & Laholm

Last edited:
[....]
Sweden will never become a republic, according to Solveig Aplander Rosencrantz, Chairman of the Royalist Society. [....]

What else can one expect from the Chairman of the Royalist Society?

:whistling:

The Crown Princess popular despite low trust in the royal house
Trust in the royal house remains low, while Crown Princess Victoria's popularity is record high, she is popular even among those who want to abolish the monarchy.
In the latest survey made in 2011 people were asked about how they view public figures, the Crown Princess received the highest figure ever, higher than any international person.
- Of all public people we have investigated, she clearly has the highest popularity value. It is a unique situation. There is no doubt that she increases trust in the royal house. Partly because of the very high popularity figure, and partly because she hasn't been associated with any negative events, says Lennart Nilsson from the SOM Institute at the University of Gothenburg.
Margareta Thorgren believes that the personality of the Crown Princess is a reason for the high popularity figure.
- The Crown Princess has a wonderful personality and naturalness. She is well-prepared and genuinely interested in people.
Last year at SOM Institutet's survey the trust for the royal house was +13, compared to +41 when studies began in 1995.
- In the beginning, when we began the surveys, the royal house had the highest trust among all institutions. Then it has fallen in conjunction with some events, like what the king said about the sultan in Brunei and the publication of the book "The Reluctant Monarch", says Nilsson.
Thorgren believes that the reason to the low figure is that people don't have a complete picture of what the royal family does, more than scandals and cutting ribbons.
- The Head of State and the royal family do so much more than go to openings and cut ribbons. I think the media image today can greatly influence how people respond to surveys. Our challenges are to show the important and complete work done by the royal family for Sweden.
Kronprinsessan poppis trots lågt förtroende för kungahuset - P4 Malmöhus _ Sveriges Radio

Monarchy is an asset to democracy
Crown Princess Victoria is in trust measurements the public person to whom the people of Sweden feel the greatest trust. It is a good grade for how our future queen manages her office. At the same time, popular and royal.
Once upon a time, the monarchy was an opposition to democracy - based on birth and not choice. When democracy was introduced, many believed that it automatically meant the disappearance of the monarchy.
In Sweden's modern constitution, the royal house rests on Parliament's approval. The Royal House does not exercise any political power but still plays an important role in society.
What the monarchy offers that democracy can not deliver is continuity. The good thing about democracy is that we continually choose our rulers. The rulers come and go as fast, which is good. The good thing about the royal house is the fact that its members are in public for a long time. It provides a permanence in the relationship between citizens and representatives which the term of office does not allow. Consequently, our constitution allows us to have the cake and eat it.
As a democracy, we can always change rulers, but as a monarchy we can at the same time have permanent relationships with representatives, which facilitates the important sense of society fellowship. The ties to the royal house tie us together even over generational boundaries.
In everyday terms, we rarely need to consider these contexts. The balanced and long term form of government is something we have inherited and we have not had to make every effort.
The Crown Princess is an asset in the time - which we have been gifted thanks to the generosity of previous generations not to destroy what actually works.
Monarkin är en tillgång för demokratin - Borås Tidning
Translation

Last edited:
How do you see that a non-noble like Daniel Westling gets married to the royal family and becomes a prince?
- Some reacted then. Some people in our Society didn't even think it would lead to marriage - that you can become a prince just like that? But I think he is a fantastic man. He gave a fine speech when they married. I believe that many melted there and affiliated him. He has really grown into his role, and there is dignity around him. I think that the fact that he came into the picture has further strengthened the sympathies towards the royal house.
An odd question, given that two non-nobles already married into the prior generation of the Swedish Royal House and became queen or princess "just like that".

The monarchy is very popular in Sweden? Believe that the monarchy will still exist many years in this country? The Republican movement is strong?

Okay Blog Real, um how about some opinion polls, articles or maybe even some photos and interviews of republicans complaining about the monarchy to go with that. Granted from what I understand things are rather rocky for the Royal House of Sweden but I don't see a referendum that could end the monarchy happening anytime soon.

-Frozen Royalist

I think it's safe to say once Princess Victoria ascends to the throne along with some polishing, better PR along with better public understanding of how the monarchy works and how it benefits Sweden, things ought to become golden for the good ol' Kingdom of Sweden. I mean I understand things are sort of worrying at times but we don't see the Riksdag having debates or protests in front of the royal palace demanding a republic now do we? :flowers:

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. on an unrelated note did anybody like that recent Swedish satire where the monarchy was abolished and the palace was converted into some crazy restaurant, I believe the movie was The Square by Ruben Ostlund.

Helloooooo, anybody have anything to say here? It's kind of odd for me to make a comment and not have somebody say something contradictory or say they fully agree with me, is anybody out there? Helloooooo

-Frozen Royalist

P.S. Like what my earlier posts imply, I think the monarchy is relatively good shape despite the setbacks.

Svensk Damtidning has also this year made a research with Sifo about the royal family. 1128 randomly selected people in Sweden between 16 years to 80 years answered. The first question was the same as last year.
"The swedish people want to see Victoria as the queen!"

Question 1. When do you think it is time for the crown princess to take over the throne as the queen of Sweden: In one year, in 5-10 years, when the king passes away?
Answers:
In one year: 20 % (Last year 11 %)
In 5-10 years: 34 % (Last year 29 %)
When the king passes away: 26 % (Last year 38 %)
Don't know: 20 % (Last year 22 %)

Question 2. Should the Swedish retirement rules apply also to the members of the royal family?
Yes: 46 %
No: 24 %
Don't know: 30 %

Question 3. If you could be one person of the royal family for a day, who would you like to be?
No one of them: 32 %
Crown princess Victoria: 17 %
King Carl Gustaf: 11 %
Prince Carl Philip: 9 %
Prince Daniel: 6 %
Don't know: 6 %
Princess Estelle: 4 %
Princess Madeleine: 4 %
Princess Sofia: 3 %
Chris O'Neill: 3 %
Queen Silvia: 2 %
19 % of men wanted to be the king, 30 % of women wanted to be Victoria.

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Last edited:
Not so serious poll in Expressen on Sunday in connection of the article about Carl Philip and Sofia's Instagram account:

Which is your favourite couple at the royal family?
When I write this, 8299 people have answered.

Crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel 64 %
Prince Carl Philip and princess Sofia 15 %
King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia 14 %
Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill 7 %
Carl Philip fyller år – paret firar med nyhet _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Last edited:
Is the Swedish monarchy popular?

Probably popular enough that there is not danger of immediate abolishment. With my knowledge crown princess family is pretty popular. I don't know how popular the king is but it seems that there is not so much of calls over his abdication like there was about ten years ago.

Probably popular enough that there is not danger of immediate abolishment. With my knowledge crown princess family is pretty popular. I don't know how popular the king is but it seems that there is not so much of calls over his abdication like there was about ten years ago.

Also here: separate the personal popularity of individuals from a desire to keep the current form of state. This is not to be translated one-on-one, as likeability and popularity are entirely different from the question: "Do you like to elect your own head of state?"

But for so far all current monarchies are on the safe side indeed.

Last edited:
Medieakademien published it's annual confidence barometer (förtroendebaromerern) in March. The survey was done by Kantar Sifo with webb-interviews with over 1200 people (16 years or older) on 10-20th February.
According to that the confidence for the Royal House has been/is:
Percentage of very / quite high confidence
2010 - 50 %
2011 - 35
2012 - 35
2013 - 37
2014 - 37
2015 - 40
2016 - 42
2017 - 41
2018 - 44
2019 - 49
2020 - 50

Confidence in community institutions
The royal house, the state, the parliament, the government, the European Commission, the political parties
Percentage of very / quite high confidence

The whole barometer
Presentation_fortroendebarometern_2020

Svensk Damtidning's article today:
Victoria's and Daniel's Revenge - loved by all
Congratulations to the royal family! Confidence in the Royal House is increasing. Can it be about the "Victoria and Daniel effect"?
We Swedes like our royal house - and our royal family. This is shown by Medieakademien's confidence barometer 2020, published earlier this year.
From the survey, made by Kantar Sifo, it can be seen that confidence in the royal house has been steadily increasing since the dip in 2011, when it collapsed to 35%, from 50% the year before. But then it has gone straight up, and now confidence is at a stable 50% again.
Victoria and Daniel effect
Behind these figures stands the royal family, of course, and perhaps especially Crown Princess Victoria and her family. The Crown Princess and Prince Daniel go from clarity to clarity with their warmth, their wisdom and their pondus. They have the ability to really radiate that they work "For Sweden - With the times", to quote the king's motto.
But the success is also helped by the Swedish court, which, like Europe's other royal houses, has a successful media strategy, and which has also invested in strengthening its popularity with the help of social media.
Victorias och Daniels revansch – älskas av alla _ Svensk Dam

Another article at Svensk Damtidning's latest issue about the confidence barometer
Victoria and Daniel for Sweden with the Times
Swedes like the royal house - the Crown princess couple is more popular than ever
About the king has been written in several unflattering contexts over the years. All experts agreed: the writings would damage the reputation of the monarchy among the people. And the numbers show they were right, during the stormy years when among others the book Den motvillige monarken came. But Victoria and Daniel took a revenge.
We Swedes like our royal house - and our royal family. This is shown by Medieakademien's confidence barometer 2020. The confidence in the royal house has been steadily increasing since the dip in 2011. Now confidence is up to a stable 50 percent again.
Behind these figures is the royal family, of course, and perhaps especially Crown Princess Victoria and her family. The Crown Princess and Prince Daniel go from clarity to clarity with their warmth, their wisdom and their pondus. They have the ability to really show that they work "For Sweden - With the times", to quote the king's motto.
But the success is also helped by the Swedish court, which has a successful media strategy, and which has also invested in strengthening its popularity with the help of social media.
At the end of last year King Carl Gustaf announced that he would stir up the Swedish monarchy. He had made a policy decision that essentially concerned who should be entitled to the title "Royal Highness".
It quickly became clear that the decision would have far more far-reaching consequences than that. This was explained by Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia in an interview.
- Directly, our roles may not change very much. But in the long term, as the focus will be on the head of state and the future head of state with family, it will be a little freer for us, Sofia said.
The change also means that Madeleine and Carl Philip's children will no longer be required to represent the royal family in the king's service. The families are thus to some extent distanced from the royal activities in general.
Many have wondered: how would the decision be received by the people? Would this harm the monarchy in people's eyes? Certainly not. The King's decision hasn't done anything to reduce people's confidence in his work for Sweden. Rather, people's confidence for the royal house has increased since 2019. That must be a nice message for Carl Gustaf!

Last edited:
Medieakademien published it's annual confidence barometer (förtroendebarometern) in March. The survey was done by Kantar Sifo with webb-interviews with 1206 people (16 years or older) on February 23 - March 3, 2021.
Percentage of very / quite high confidence 50 % in 2021 (same as in 2020)

The whole barometer
Presentation_fortroendebarometern_2021

Interestingly, confidence in Royal House is highest in 2020 and 2021 and was lowest in 2011.

Interestingly, confidence in Royal House is highest in 2020 and 2021 and was lowest in 2011.
I'm not surprised at all. During 2011 there was a massive focus on the private life of the King after the publication of the book "Den motvillige monarken" (the reluctant monarch) in November 2010. The book revealed that he had had an affair with pop artist Camilla Henemark and put the spotlight on the inner circle of his friends. The ensuing media circus included unverified stories, rumours and downright lies and was handled very badly by both the King himself (he has later described an interview he gave at the time as the worst experience of his life) and the Palace press office. Added to this there followed several stories about the Queen's father who was revealed to have been a member of the Nazi party and to have profited from the seizing of Jewish property and also a general barrage of anti-royal reporting which affected the popularity of the Royal family and the support for the monarchy. The last ten years has seen a slow but steady rise in popularity and respect for the Royal family because of the popularity of Crown Princess Victoria, the hard work and focus on humanitarian issues by individual family members, the disgust with which many Swedes have reacted to the press harassing the family and having many of the stories mentioned above disconfirmed.

Medieakademien published it's annual confidence barometer (förtroendebarometern) in March. The survey was done by Kantar Sifo with webb-interviews with 1206 people (16 years or older) on February 23 - March 3, 2021.
Percentage of very / quite high confidence 50 % in 2021 (same as in 2020)

The whole barometer
Presentation_fortroendebarometern_2021

If I understood it correctly, confidence in the Royal House is higher e.g. than in the political parties, the government, the Parliament, and the Church of Sweden.

If I understood it correctly, confidence in the Royal House is higher e.g. than in the political parties, the government, the Parliament, and the Church of Sweden.

Governments are rarely very popular. And I wouldn't be very amazed if Sweish government would be very unpopular considering some certain current things in the country.

Anna Dahlberg, political editor (Head of the Editorial board in Expressen newspaper), yesterday at her chronicle in Expressen:
Congratulations, the King - and long live the monarchy!
The Royal House makes great efforts to protect Swedish interests abroad and functions as a unifying symbol at home. Expressen's editorial board hereby abandons the demand that the monarchy should be abolished.
King Carl XVI Gustaf turns 75 years old. For more than 47 years he has been Sweden's head of state - longer than any previous regent. When he took over the throne after the death of his grandfather on September 15, 1973, he was only 27 years old.
Most of the others had probably wanted to step down and retire after such a long working life. But not the King or for that matter Queen Silvia. They continue to work on behalf of Sweden week in and week out.
The King inaugurates exhibitions, gives speeches, receives visits, visits Swedish soldiers abroad and so on. From my contacts at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, a consistent picture is given: The King, Queen and the Crown Princess couple are toiling hard. The programs during their trips abroad are full from morning to evening. They are decent people, who are in Sweden's service without grumbling.
With their help, doors are opened that would otherwise have remained closed, including for Swedish export companies, but also for civil servants and ministers. They sell, so to speak, both Swedish goods and values. The Royal House strengthens Sweden's brand enormously in the world, my diplomatic contacts attest. "The royal family is one of Sweden's absolute foremost assets alongside the Nobel Prize, the Vasa ship, meatballs, Karolinska Institutet and ESS in Lund", sums up a veteran.
But for this effort, the royal family rarely receives any recognition. (...)
The king has, of course, allowed his children to marry out of love, not duty, and himself nurtured a long-term commitment to the environment. Crown Princess Victoria gave an inaugural speech during the latest Pride festival, and touched many deeply by addressing everyone in Sweden who doesn't dare to stand up for their love openly: "I stand behind you". Her personal involvement in the issue means at least as much as many political initiatives.
The royal family tiptoes cautiously as it should in the public eye, but no one can seriously claim that it is a conservative force that stands in the way of progressive ideals. Rather, the royal family seems to want to contribute to make Sweden a little kinder. Princess Sofia stepped in as a care assistant during the pandemic and Prince Daniel is involved in issues as children's movement and organ donation, for example. (...)
If you seriously want to introduce a republic in Sweden - and prevent Victoria from one day becoming the Queen of Sweden - you must at some point try to strike in the matter and be precise. Should we follow the German model or the Finnish one? What exactly should the alternative to the monarchy look like and what mandate should the Swedish president have?
Expressen's editorial board no longer intends to pretend that we want to abolish the monarchy.
So congratulations, the King, on your 75th birthday! And thank you for that you and the rest of the royal family work so hard for Sweden.
Grattis, kungen – och leve monarkin!
Translation

The swedish media about Anna Dahlberg's chronicle
Expressen abandons demands for the abolition of the monarchy
Expressen överger krav på monarkins avskaffande - Sydsvenskan

Expressen's editorial board changes side on the issue of the monarchy
Expressens ledarsida byter sida i frågan om monarkin

Victoria's hard work makes an impression. Now the former critic is making a complete U-turn.
Respected editorial writer Anna Dahlberg reveals in a text in Expressen the newspaper's new official attitude to the royal family, and it is positive. Dahlberg writes that most actors who have traditionally been against the royal family and on paper are for a transition to a republic now in practice "have put all those demands on the shelf". "But it is high time to stop pretending. Sweden's modern form of monarchy has served us well and there is no reason to replace it in the foreseeable future".
She highlights Victoria as a representative of the modern royal house, which during the fifty years since the constitutional change that removed all the king's political power has adapted, survived and become one of the country's most important symbols.
Expressen's reversal in the matter is the first of its kind in a very long time, it remains to be seen if anyone will follow suit.
Oväntade vändningen – ändrar sig helt om Victoria _*Svensk Dam

PM Nilsson, political editor of Dagens Industri, about Anna Dahlberg's chronicle at his Twitter
"Totally agree @_annadahlberg about this. "When weighed together, however, the arguments for maintaining the Swedish monarchy weigh more heavily. And then it's time to admit it and follow suit".
Political editor of Dagens Industri

Last edited:
Johan Hakelius at his column in Fokus, 26th April
Hakelius: The Repulican bullshit is about to burst
On Saturday, Expressen abandoned the coquettish demand for a republic. More "Republicans" should follow.
Is it really possible that all Republicans who claim that the monarchy is "incompatible" with democracy do not know the state of Norway, Denmark, Great Britain, the Netherlands and, for that matter, Sweden?
But they grind on, while the cultural elite - a little ashamed, perhaps - sit in front of "The Crown", or "Atlantic Crossing", while the Americans adopt Harry and Meghan, while the king is interviewed in Värvet and while almost 83 percent of the TV-watching British the audience followed Prince Philips' funeral. Svenska Dagbladet had a slightly vague, but long and serious article about the royal family this weekend.
To be "out of date", kings and queens, princes and princesses play a very prominent and appreciated role in our very contemporary times.
Hakelius_ Repulikanfjäsket är på väg att spricka - Fokus
Translation

Johan Hakelius is married to Susanna Popova, the author of Victoria and Daniel's wedding book "Vårt bröllop".

Last edited:
The survey conducted by Demoskop on behalf of Aftonbladet within the framework of the Inizio panel, which reflects the Swedish people. The respondents are 16 years and older.
The survey includes 1761 interviews between April 20 and 27, and was conducted as a web survey. The sample is pre-stratified and weighted by age, gender, region and party in the previous election.

46 percent have great confidence in the royal family.
49 percent like Crown Princess Victoria best in the Royal House, while 14 percent like the king best.
31 percent wants the king to abdicate in favor of the Crown Princess.
Så populära är kung Carl Gustaf och kronprinsessan Victoria _ Aftonbladet

Back
Top Bottom