Popularity of the Monarchy in Sweden

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
3 % think Carl-Philip
Madeleine, Silvia and Daniel all get 1 %

I find it odd that Carl-Philip got a better survey result than his sister, mother, and brother-in-law. Wouldn't Madeleine and Silvia get higher percentages because they actually do more?

I find it odd that Carl-Philip got a better survey result than his sister, mother, and brother-in-law. Wouldn't Madeleine and Silvia get higher percentages because they actually do more?

Well, choosing a favourite person is a very subjective thing and doesn't necessarily correlate with exposure. Maybe more people identify with CP than the others?

mattep74 said:
From todays Aftonbladet:
Who is the best head of state among the royal family:
60 % think Victoria is best(70 % of the women, 49 % men)
25 % thinks the king.(19 % of the women, but 31 % of the men)
9 % are unsure
3 % think Carl-Philip
Madeleine, Silvia and Daniel all get 1 %

You do you like the most
56 % favors Victoria
18 % are unsure
10 % like Madeleine the most(almost double % of males vs females)
8 % likes the king
4 % likes Silvia most
3 % likes Carl-Philip most
Just 1 % likes Daniel the most

I wonder of Sofia has something to do with Carl Phillip being one of the least liked.

Last edited:
I wonder of Sofia has something to do with Carl Phillip being one of the least liked.
I think if you had to name just one you like the most, there are simply people in SRF who overshadow him. It's possible that if the question would have been for example "Name all the people you like from SRF", the result would have been different.

As the question was about who is the best head of state, neither Silvia, nor Daniel can be head of state of Sweden, they are only married into the royal family. As for Carl Philip having more votes than Madeleine, well he is the second in line after Victoria, while Madeleine is the third in line, a fact I would guess most Swedes are aware of.

The SOM-institute has revealed the results for this year. The popularity for the monarchy is now at 53 percent.

36 percent say that they have large trust in the monarchy.

mattep74 said:
The SOM-institute has revealed the results for this year. The popularity for the monarchy is now at 53 percent.

Oh dear, that's not very much, is it? Though I guess there will be a proportion who are indifferent.

Interesting result, not surprising though. Are there also numbers for the indiferent people and people who do not support the monarchy?

I really hope the numbers will be closely analyzed by SRF. If I'm not mistaken the numbers are dropping constantly in the last years. All the "bonus points" they could have got for Victoria's and Daniel's wedding were simply lost after the King's book was published, the document about Queens father was aired, and people started to slowly get fed up with Carl Philip's and Madeleine's work ethics and also personal lifes. And the way the comm. department handled those things was also not the best. There is a saying that little children and animals can make everything look better, I'm not sure if it will work in this case though.

Well, 'little children' will be forthcoming hopefully. It has been a bad year for the SRF apart from Victoria and Daniel. They had better remain scandal-free for the foreseeable future.

I am looking at the numbers now:
Abolish the monarchy was 19 before and after the book was published.
Its the unsurecollum that is bigger, from 19 to 27

:previous: Thank you for the numbers.

Esmeralda, I really hope there'll be little children in SRF in a near future and fully agree regarding the scandals, they should take a time-off now. :flowers:

I don't know about anyone else's country but that is pretty decent numbers IMO.

In the UK, Belgium and Spain, the royal family probably has much higher approval ratings.

What has the King done to become so disliked?

What's the title of the book that caused so many people to turn against the monarchy?

This is unfortunate! I am Swedish-American but am not really tuned into Swedish affairs.

I'm not sure if this poll is new but I think the book on the King is making him unpopular.

Swedish people want King Carl XVI Gustaf to abdicate for Princess Victoria | News.com.au

Latest poll show from Aftonbladet/SIFO that 7 of 10 wants the monarchy to remain. Unfortunally for the king, not many people want him to remain.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article13094756.ab

49 % have hight assurance for Victoria compared with 22 % for the King.

TV4 showed the full graphics and the pople with wery little assurance for the king were 2 - 3 times more than Victoria

I have read bits and pieces of information on HM King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden's various dalliances in recent years. Can someone write a short synopse of his many 'adventures?' Has his supposed actions caused his citizens to deem HM
'untrustworthy?' Has HM Queen Silvia ever had given any statements discussing HM's un-royal-like behaviors? Does she defend HM's behaviors? Or does she question his actions herself? Have any 3 of his three children ever had anything to say on these supposed happenings? Or not? Does HM offer any explanations? What do his HM supposed dalliances have to do with his abilities as a king anyway? Any other related information on HM the King of Sweden?

I have read bits and pieces of information on HM King Carl XVI Gustav of Sweden's various dalliances in recent years. Can someone write a short synopse of his many 'adventures?' Has his supposed actions caused his citizens to deem HM
'untrustworthy?' Has HM Queen Silvia ever had given any statements discussing HM's un-royal-like behaviors? Does she defend HM's behaviors? Or does she question his actions herself? Have any 3 of his three children ever had anything to say on these supposed happenings? Or not? Does HM offer any explanations? What do his HM supposed dalliances have to do with his abilities as a king anyway? Any other related information on HM the King of Sweden?
You can find answers to most of your questions here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f185/king-carl-gustaf-controversy-2010-2011-a-31250.html
I don't remember the Queen ever commenting on these accusations, but maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

those who don't like the monarchy Don't necessarily want a republic either. Out of the three main Scandinavian countries does Sweden have the lowest liking of the monarchy? And on some earlier posts they said people don't like than the king has powers but what kind of powers are they?

A research made by Aftonbladet and Sifo (the leading market research company) about the swedish monarchy. They interviewed 1000 people on 10th-13th December. 70 % wanted to retain the monarchy, 23 % wanted to abolish it. Last year the numbers were 74 % and 21 %.

60 % wanted that the king should abdicate during the next 10 years (17 % as soon as possible, 20 % during the next 5 years and 23 % during the next 10 years).
79 % said that their trust in the king hasn't changed during the last year. 17 % said that the trust has decreased and 2 % increased.
’Lämna över till Victoria’ Nyheter Aftonbladet

From the same research of Aftonbladet and Sifo, about the trust and confidence in the Royal Family:
5 stands for "very high confidence" and 1 stands for "No trust at all"
Victoria 4,2 (In May 2011 the same)
Daniel 3,6 (2011 the same)
Queen Silvia 3,5 (2011 3,6)
King Carl Gustaf 3,3 (2011 3,4)
Carl Philip 3,2 (2011 3,4)
Madeleine 2,8 (2011 3,1)

Only 8 % of respondents say they have a very high confidence in Madeleine, while 48 % have high confidence in Victoria.
- I can imagine that it is because the princess has not been very much in Sweden and has not been featured in the media, says Jon Andersson, project manager at Sifo.
Sessan – du är sist i ligan Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
You can just google and used google translator to get the answers.

Unless I missed something he had one relationship that became public. Neither the queen or anyone else in the family has commented. Apart from the initial interest in the issue most Swedes probably let it be an issue between the King and the Queen. The press tried to prolong the discussions and interest but it just died and became a non-isssue relatively quickly.

Unless I missed something he had one relationship that became public. Neither the queen or anyone else in the family has commented. Apart from the initial interest in the issue most Swedes probably let it be an issue between the King and the Queen. The press tried to prolong the discussions and interest but it just died and became a non-isssue relatively quickly.
The fact that the king have had mistresses can also be seen as a typical behaviour of the Bernadotte kings, the four first kings had very well known affairs during their marriages, their mistresses are known. There are also rumours about both Gustav V (having a male lover) and about Gustav VI Adolf having had affairs during his marriages, so there is nothing surprising that the seventh Bernadotte king isn't faithful to his queen either.

Herman Lindqvist writes in his column in Aftonbladet:
The majority of the Swedish people still support monarchy. The majority also wants the king to retire and let Crown Princess Victoria take over the throne, but as long as the king is alert and healthy the probability that he would voluntarily step aside is extremely small. No ruler of Bernadotte dynasty resigned prematurely.
Nothing prevents that King Carl Gustaf will be the first royal retiree, but it would cause some complications. Which title should he have? The king wouldn't be fired, so he could probably retain his title. He can regain his first title: Duke of Jämtland or why not Prince of Solliden? The castle is his private property.
What position should the retired king get in the Swedish ranking scale? As long as he's alive, he's still a member of the royal family. How is he as a former king then placed in official contexts? After Queen Victoria, but in front of crown princess Estelle? Common people think such problems are nonsense, but in the court and the official Sweden lists are important. Should he get a severance pay or just retire? Also the economic part must be discussed.
If the king resigns only to unleash Victoria, he can't remain in Stockholm. Victoria would probably not like an unemployed father watching over her shoulder. The simplest of all would be if he went into voluntary exile and settled for example, in southern France. He would also then need personal protection. A retired king may be at risk of becoming victim of madness, political attacks or exposed to kidnapping or other criminal acts. Not to mention protection against photographers and curious public.
The days in France can be expelled like Prince Bertil did. And he can take part in hunting seasons in Sweden and other countries. He can hang out with his royal relatives throughout Europe and visit children and grandchildren in Sweden, where he would probably hailed for his decision.
Does this life as a retired person draw Carl XVI Gustaf? Very little, everything hints to that.
Carl Gustaf ger knappast upp tronen Herman Lindqvist Kolumnister Nyheter Aftonbladet

From Helagotland
70 percent wants to keep the monarchy, while only 23 per cent want to abolish it. On the other hand, 60 percent want the king to hand over to Crown Princess Victoria - now or in five to ten years.
The position of monarchy is stronger than the position of monarch, which is not surprising after a year with partially ill-founded scandal writings.
The king is 66 years old. 40 years at the throne is celebrated with visits across the country. How long can he possibly have left? Qute long, unless he decides to abdicate. And handing over would be a break with tradition, it feels unlikely that he would do.
King's father, Prince Gustaf Adolf was only 40 when he died, but it happened in a plane crash. Otherwise, the family men tend to be rather old. His grandfather Gustaf VI Adolf was almost 91 years old. Great grandfather Gustaf V became 92, and uncles Sigvard, Bertil and Carl Johan 94, 84 and 95.
Carl XVI Gustaf has thus genes likely to remain for many years - perhaps 30 years or more - and he seems to be physically in good health.
Trettio år till med Carl XVI Gustaf - Opinion - Ledare - Hela Gotland
Translation

Last edited:
So all this crap about the King not being popular is because he cheated on his wife?! Just like with Bill Clinton does having an affair affect his ability to do his job? If not then GET OVER IT!

To my understanding (not being Swede but able to read the press), cheating his wife is not the only reason. First distinction to make : are respondants in favour or against maintaining monarchy? We can assume that those against will use any argument against the system and against him.
Queen Silvia is also criticised due to the alleged sympathy of her father to the nazi regime. The king generally compares negatively with the other Scandinavian royals, due to his dyslexia, his obviously feeling uncomfortable in speeches, his almost permanently non-smiling attitude. Only exceptionally he mananges to overcome that like at the olympics in London.
Back to the scandals, some people believe allegations such as : he has been buying silence about some situations with their money... and others.
The crownprincess couple appears far more appealing, but they have no right to mistakes!

The king is 66 years old. 40 years at the throne is celebrated with visits across the country. How long can he possibly have left? Qute long, unless he decides to abdicate. And handing over would be a break with tradition, it feels unlikely that he would do.
King's father, Prince Gustaf Adolf was only 40 when he died, but it happened in a plane crash. Otherwise, the family men tend to be rather old. His grandfather Gustaf VI Adolf was almost 91 years old. Great grandfather Gustaf V became 92, and uncles Sigvard, Bertil and Carl Johan 94, 84 and 95.
Carl XVI Gustaf has thus genes likely to remain for many years - perhaps 30 years or more - and he seems to be physically in good health.
Trettio år till med Carl XVI Gustaf - Opinion - Ledare - Hela Gotland
Translation

I'm glad he is fit and willing to go on for some more decades. That will allow Victoria and Daniel to raise Estelle and future children much more in peace than they would have if Victoria became queen soon. A lot of the king's work is time-consuming and dictated by the office of kingship while Victoria now has much more freedom to do things she wants to do. She surely has more time to spent with Daniel, who as a transplant patient has not such a high expectency of lifetime. Estelle as the heiress of the heiress may be able to dance nights in nightclubs without being forced to behave with the dignity her mother had to show as a young Crown Princess.

So I guess for the Royal family it works that there is a king in office while the heiress is still a young mother. Of course this doesn't matter for the people who would prefer to have a beautiful young queen instead of a shy elderly gentleman but as long as they like the system and do nothing to change it, they should accept it is.

So all this crap about the King not being popular is because he cheated on his wife?! Just like with Bill Clinton does having an affair affect his ability to do his job? If not then GET OVER IT!
It doesn't have to do with him cheating on his wife or not, it's more that the king from the beginning have been seen as being uncomfortable in his role as king, he does it because he hasn't a choice, it was forced upon him. I think he would have preferred having a role similar to Carl Philip's, a younger sibling allowed a freer life doing things he likes (hunting, fast cars and boats, partying etc).

It doesn't have to do with him cheating on his wife or not, it's more that the king from the beginning have been seen as being uncomfortable in his role as king, he does it because he hasn't a choice, it was forced upon him. I think he would have preferred having a role similar to Carl Philip's, a younger sibling allowed a freer life doing things he likes (hunting, fast cars and boats, partying etc).

I think you are right there. Carl Gustaf have never seemed to be as comfortable in role as monarch than for example Harald, Margrethe and Beatrix. And people sees that.
I think the history explains why. Carl Gustaf was forced to the throne at a very young age, ill prepared and not educated enough when he had to suceed his grandfather. The early death of his father in 1947 and his mother in 1972 has formed the man he is today. When he
became King it was just him, Christina and their often absent uncle Prince Bertil there. He was ill prepared and had no one there who could really help him and guide him. I think that explains a lot why he often seems to be uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom