The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I think both ladies looked nice. Once again though, it is embarassing for the "lonely princess" Madeleine to be photographed alone in the royal box while her siblings show up with their respective consorts right next to her.

Maybe Madeleine doesn't care, but, if I were Chris O'Neill, I wouldn't let my wife be in such a position.

BTW, could anyone post an English transcript of the King's speech ? I'm curious to know what he has talked about.
"Embarrassing"? "Lonely princess"? Princess Madeleine is a grown woman attending a serious event in her capacity as Princess. She does not need a man by her side in order for her to be performing a duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
Anyone want to caption this:
http://media.shootitlive.com/3jKY4FD...expressen/2035
Madeleine looks really mad and none of them seem thrilled. What happened?
I do not perceive anyone looking "mad". They all look serious and concerned. The issues mentioned during the event were not of the laugh and smile kind.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Anyone know if there's a live feed?
No, the event started 2,5 hours ago.

The Royal Family, members of the Parliament and other guests were at the Royal Opera to attend at the ballet Raymonda. Raymonda is the award-winning Swedish choreographer Pontus Lidberg's first classical ballet.
Raymonda _ Royal Opera

Old 09-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
There's not really much choice is there. Black and white or white or black! Big choice I don't think however, I thought Sophia would have looked better with more than a wisp of a whimsy on her head and some white with the black would have lightened the effect and I would love to have seen a pretty had on Madeleine rather than that very tall fascinator nailed to her forehead.
I don't think neither Princess Madeleine nor Princess Sofia will leave their respective appearance to chance for such an important event. They may simply have agreed on what to wear and opted for a similar look in order to not stray too far from the tradition Queen Silvia started of wearing black and white. All the royal ladies looked great.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
No, the event started 2,5 hours ago.
Thank you for you being prompt as usual
Old 09-15-2015, 04:55 PM
Courtier

I did not know that The Queen had set a tradition for female members of the family to wear black and white to this occasion, thank you for sharing that.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I've noticed quite a subtle yet deliberate attempt on the part of the three younger Swedish royal ladies to coordinate their outfits at important events (ever since Carl Philip's engagements). Every time I see it I think it's a coincidence but it really isn't and today's pictures are no different.
I loved looking at the pictures of Victoria, Madeleine and Sofia in their matching outfits (and yes, Victoria also matches, it's only the colour scheme of her outfit that's reversed). It's the kind of thing one sees among sisters and cousins in real life and it's sweet to see on royalty.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Photos from the Parliament
IBL Bildbyrå

Photos from the evening
IBL Bildbyrå
Kuvat_ Victorian pyöristynyt vauvavatsa peittyi tuttuun juhlamekkoon - Viihde - MTV.fi
Old 09-16-2015, 02:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Why is it embarressing? And why should Chris O'Neill do such a thing? This is not a happy family-get-together but a work event of the “company“ “Royal House of Sweden“. Chris isn't an employee of this “company“ so there is no need for him to acompany his working wife.
I actually like Chris a lot, and think he's an asset to the family, but wouldn't it be totally inappropriate for him to attend something like this?
Old 09-16-2015, 03:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Princess View Post
I actually like Chris a lot, and think he's an asset to the family, but wouldn't it be totally inappropriate for him to attend something like this?
Why would it be inappropriate? Chris attended at the Opening of the Parliament with the rest of the Royal family in 2013. Last year Madeleine didn't attend, so Chris didn't attend either.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:43 AM
Majesty

It was a lovely touch and lovely to see that for all the importance of protocol they all did things their way.

The order of protocol meant it should have been King, Queen and Crown Princess couple in the first carriage and Carl Philip, Sofia and Madeleine in the second. They switched it up and we got this very lovely shot of a loving father handing his daughter down from the carriage. It was quite a precious thing to see.

http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/foto...852752A&sz=450

And the individual touches didn't stop there. The family continued to change things to balance whenever possible. In church, the order of seating should have run:

Victoria Daniel Carl Philip Sophia Madeleine

But instead we got:

Victoria Daniel Sophia Carl Philip Madeleine

http://media.shootitlive.com/SKJM4lQ...expressen/2035

However, for the formal Opening of Parliament they reverted to the order of protocol:

Carl Philip Sofia Madeleine

http://media.shootitlive.com/XOhMqCu...expressen/2035

There was no lonely Princess Madeleine today, just Madeleine and the family doing what they've done for years and changing things to suit the changes that their marriages have brought to the way they used to do things.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:56 AM
Nobility

I noticed the seating arrangements: the King, the Queen and the Crown Princess couple sit with the ministers up front while Carl Philip, Sofia & Madeleine sit in what looks like a visitors' gallery, not a royal box per se. I saw pictures of Princess Lilian during the opening of the Riksdag while she was alive and I think she was sitting up front as well. Was this in deference to being Bertil's widow?
Old 09-16-2015, 08:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
It was a lovely touch and lovely to see that for all the importance of protocol they all did things their way.

The order of protocol meant it should have been King, Queen and Crown Princess couple in the first carriage and Carl Philip, Sofia and Madeleine in the second. They switched it up and we got this very lovely shot of a loving father handing his daughter down from the carriage. It was quite a precious thing to see.

http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/foto...852752A&sz=450

And the individual touches didn't stop there. The family continued to change things to balance whenever possible. In church, the order of seating should have run:

Victoria Daniel Carl Philip Sophia Madeleine

But instead we got:

Victoria Daniel Sophia Carl Philip Madeleine

http://media.shootitlive.com/SKJM4lQ...expressen/2035

However, for the formal Opening of Parliament they reverted to the order of protocol:

Carl Philip Sofia Madeleine

http://media.shootitlive.com/XOhMqCu...expressen/2035

There was no lonely Princess Madeleine today, just Madeleine and the family doing what they've done for years and changing things to suit the changes that their marriages have brought to the way they used to do things.

So you are basically saying that they changed the seating arrangements to minimize the picture impact of a lonely, sad Madeleine and thus not feed German tabloid headlines. It looks like my perception about Madeleine being embarassed was right after all.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Courtier

And on another note...

Here's a clip from the opening ceremony. This is swedish singer Lisa Nilsson who makes the whole riksdag (almost) and the royal familty sing along with her. Somehow I think that lots of issues would be easier to resolve if people sang together more often :)

Här stämmer riksdagen upp i allsång - Nyheterna - tv4.se
Old 09-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
I've noticed quite a subtle yet deliberate attempt on the part of the three younger Swedish royal ladies to coordinate their outfits at important events (ever since Carl Philip's engagements). Every time I see it I think it's a coincidence but it really isn't and today's pictures are no different.
I loved looking at the pictures of Victoria, Madeleine and Sofia in their matching outfits (and yes, Victoria also matches, it's only the colour scheme of her outfit that's reversed). It's the kind of thing one sees among sisters and cousins in real life and it's sweet to see on royalty.
I too think about coordinated outfits whenever I see the pictures. Victoria stands out, because of the reveresed colour scheme. She's the CP, she's the one of the Princesses who should stand out, so she does. Yet the style of her costume is so similar to those of Sofia and Madeleine, that it still says 'we belong together'. (I hope that makes sense?)
At the reading of the banns for CP and Sofia and at some other events the outfits looked carefully coordinated as well. So I don't believe in coincidence.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Serene Highness

Of course the outfits were talked about prior to event and was no coincidence. They looked lovely. Madeleine did not look lonely or sad. She looked professional at a very serious occasion listening to serious remarks. I think people want to make a big deal out of Chris not being there. I don't see a problem and I doubt if the King did either.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't believe that the clothes were talked about before, all the ladies know that it is black, white and grey to be used. I hope that this unfortunate coincidence with similar outfits will never happen again. It is rather sad that all the articles talk about the "twins". It is good though that the swedish articles talk about the speeches too.

Famille royale de Suède en photos - Victoria une future maman très sexy
GALLERY_ Victoria reuses an old maternity favourite _ Royalista

Here is a video of the Opening of the Parliament
SVT Forum - Riksmötets öppnande _ SVT Play
Old 09-17-2015, 07:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
So you are basically saying that they changed the seating arrangements to minimize the picture impact of a lonely, sad Madeleine and thus not feed German tabloid headlines. It looks like my perception about Madeleine being embarassed was right after all.
I don't agree at all. It's standard practice to change seating plans after the amount of guests etc. If someone calls sick to a wedding, usually the seating arrangeements are changed. And the way they are sitting is female-male-female-male-female which is cusumary. I don't see any embaressment in changing seatingplans. It's standard practice not to have empty spaces and chairs, to make the seating look planned.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I don't agree at all. It's standard practice to change seating plans after the amount of guests etc. If someone calls sick to a wedding, usually the seating arrangeements are changed. And the way they are sitting is female-male-female-male-female which is cusumary. I don't see any embaressment in changing seatingplans. It's standard practice not to have empty spaces and chairs, to make the seating look planned.
What about Madeleine riding in the King's carriage ?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
What about Madeleine riding in the King's carriage ?
Well... I don't know their thinking. Maybe the 2nd carriage is bigger and work better with 4 people than if Victoria and Daniel crammed with Silvia and the King? I don't know the facts, just pointed out that changing seating and travelling arrenements depending on who will be there is standard practice and that I wouldn't take it as a sign of her being embarressed. I'm not saying she is or isn't, I don't know her. Just pointing out something :P