Opening of Parliament, Riksdagen 2003-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought, obviously incorrectly, that the Swedish monarch no longer played any role at all in the opening of Parliament? Exactly what role does he have? Does he read a speech from the throne?

Princesses Victoria and Madeleine looks so beautiful when they attended at the Swedish Opening of Parliament with their parents and brother yesterday. I love both of their headpieces! :)
Thanks for the photos! :flowers:

These photos are great. They are such a handsome, good looking family.

I am with you it is a great looking family, but why have they always clothes in black??

I am with you it is a great looking family, but why have they always clothes in black??

As someone here previously posted, wearing of black/white during the opening of the parliament is a tradition which follows the color worn during the old times in the same event.;) Victoria's really beautiful in this outfit and I think she lost some weight. Madeleine's the one who's gaining weight but nevertheless they're both beautiful and Carl Philip.. no words :wub::wub::wub:

Opening of Parliament 2009

Opening of the parliament live.
24 Direkt | SVT Play

The royal family arriving.
Bildextra | Aftonbladet
I haven't been following it much, so I have a question: is this a tradition for the royal ladies to wear dark colours at the opening of the parliament?

Last edited by a moderator:
The royal family arriving.
Bildextra | Aftonbladet
I haven't been following it much, so I have a question: is this a tradition for the royal ladies to wear dark colours at the opening of the parliament?

I think so, when thinking back, I can only remember
them wearing black, but I may be wrong of course :)

Here are a few additional pics of the family arriving:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

And some from inside the parliament:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Last edited:
Both Queen and Princess Victoria look beautiful and elegant.:)
Thanks to Coco Chanel for her great creation is a black dress.:flowers:

The royal family looks very apprehensive during the open carriage trip. It must be nerve wrecking to sit so unprotected as there are after all frequent threats against the family. Especially Queen Silvia and Crown Princess Victoria look uncomfortable.

As much as I love the royal carriages and the traditions I wish they will use another mode of transportation in the future.

They certainly will not use 'another mode of transportation' on June 19th, 2010. ;)

After the Opening of Parliament was stripped off all ceremonial elements in-between 1975 and 1982, certain parts were re-introduced, like the carriage procession, as of 1983.

Queen Silvia has worn only black & white ever since, in an intentional homage to the old court dress, which was worn until 1974 and was made of black velvet with white detailing.
CP Victoria and Princess Madeleine follwed suit, only varying it with different shades of grey.

While I find CP Victoria's appearance this year extremely dowdy, I like Madeleine's suit. The Queen's head piece is a bit mad, but with such a simple black suit it becomes possible - a kind of whimsical 'Je ne sais quoi' touch, which she is able to pull off nicely.

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures.:flowers: But could someone tell me what this "Opening of Parliament" is? Do they do this every year and is Parliament closed at certain times of the year or something? Sorry if this sounds stupid...I tried looking up on it, but I couldn't find anything that explains what it exactly is.

Are you really serious?
Strikes me as self-explanatory.
In the US, the House of Congress goes into recess as well...
Anyway, this is the annual ceremony after the summer recess that marks the new parliamentary season = The Opening of Parliament, as in the UK and practically every country around the world that happens to have a parliament... the people's representatives take holidays too...

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures.:flowers: But could someone tell me what this "Opening of Parliament" is? Do they do this every year and is Parliament closed at certain times of the year or something? Sorry if this sounds stupid...I tried looking up on it, but I couldn't find anything that explains what it exactly is.
Your questions make lots of sense. What they are actually doing with the "Opening of the ......." is opening or starting a new session. In the US the President delivers his State of the Union speech to the joint congress in January or February when the new session begins. With elections in November any newly elected Senators/Representatives are sworn in in January.

In monarchies the "opening..." tends to have different symbolic and ceremonial traditions due to the King's or Queen's role as sovereigns in the past.

Hope this helps.

Are you really serious?
Strikes me as self-explanatory.
In the US, the House of Congress goes into recess as well...
Anyway, this is the annual ceremony after the summer recess that marks the new parliamentary season = The Opening of Parliament, as in the UK and practically every country around the world that happens to have a parliament... the people's representatives take holidays too...

Look, I just started my interest with royalty recently, so things that may seem obvious to you aren't necessarily obvious to me. I know that the US House of Congress takes recess, but when they go back into session, I've never seen them make a big deal about it or have some sort of fancy ceremony where they go to an opera afterwards like countries with a parliament (or maybe they do and I've just never paid attention).

But thanks for explaining anyway....;)

Your questions make lots of sense. What they are actually doing with the "Opening of the ......." is opening or starting a new session. In the US the President delivers his State of the Union speech to the joint congress in January or February when the new session begins. With elections in November any newly elected Senators/Representatives are sworn in in January.

In monarchies the "opening..." tends to have different symbolic and ceremonial traditions due to the King's or Queen's role as sovereigns in the past.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for explaining this to me (and not making me feel like an idiot:)). This makes sense to me now.:flowers:

Thank you for explaining this to me (and not making me feel like an idiot:)). This makes sense to me now.:flowers:
I apologize if my posted resulted in that feeling on your part... I was just truly amazed that neither the expression nor trying to look it up / googling it gave you an idea what it could be, and unfortunately it showed in my post. Again, sorry.
We'll see a lot of 'Opening of Parliament' ceremonies in monarchies over the next weeks, and in each country the role the monarch plays in this is different:
From all the pomp and circumstance including the sovereign wearing the crown (UK), to the monarch being invited as guest by Parliament to watch the opening from a gallery without actually declaring it open herself (Denmark).
Countries with different customs, which are based on a rather complex mix of past traditions, the constitutional position of the sovereign, and modern-day approach.
In Sweden, The King is the first to hold a speech, which is his own brief summary of the year on a non-political level; afterwards he proclaims the paliamentary season open, and is followed by the Prime Minister who holds the government's political speech.

I note that members have posted pictures of the Royal Family at the Opera. Is there a series of events held to celebrate the Opening of the Parliament?

Yes.
A church visit in the morning, a carriage ride from the Palace to the parliament building, the Opening of Parliament ceremony itself and the concert at the Royal Opera at night are the annual events on that day in Sweden.

When is Opening of Parliament this year? Is there one?

Opening of Parliament, Riksdagen 2010

King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, crown princess Victoria and Prince Daniel arrive for the church service before the opening of the House of the parliament in Stockholm.

Photos:
Expressen

Victoria and Daniel came hand in hand to the church:
Victoria och Daniel kom hand i hand till Storkyrkan | Svensk Damtidning

Premiär för prins Daniel | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
Lots of good photos here:
Bildspel: Riksmötet i Storkyrkan | Utrikes | SvD

You can watch the opening of the parliament live here, the royal family will arrive in carriage:
SVT

Here you can see the royal family arriving at the parliament and follow the king's speech in which he also gives his thanks for the warmth towards the royal family in conjunction with Victoria's and Daniel's wedding.

Here you can see the royal family arriving at the parliament and follow the king's speech in which he also gives his thanks for the warmth towards the royal family in conjunction with Victoria's and Daniel's wedding:

This was a very nice video. Victoria is so cute when she smiles and takes Daniel's hand when people start spontaneous applauses for them.

No Carl Philip this year? I know Madeleine is still in the US.

Prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt presented his new government to the King and Crown princess Victoria yesterday:
Informationskonselj på Kungliga slottet - Sveriges Kungahus

Photos from the opening of the parliament:
PurePeople: Victoria et Daniel de Suède, toujours aussi tendres, ovationnés au Parlement !

Photos of the royals attending the concert last night:
Kronprinsessan strålade glatt trots dagens hektiska schema… | Svensk Damtidning

Victoria and Daniel seemed to be on a brilliant mood.

Video of arriving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NMTDqhNxIo

Back
Top Bottom