The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness

Opening of Parliament 2004

Does anyone know why Princess Madeleine won't be attending the opening of Parliament? thanks.:)

Old 09-14-2004, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Opening of Parliament 2004

Here we can post all the pictures, articles etc on the Opening of Parliament 2004, and the Session of 2004/05.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:13 AM
Heir Apparent

You can now watch the opening of the parliament/riksdagen live at http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.j...usRenderType=6
Old 09-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

The King's Speech

His Majesty The King’s speech at the Opening of Parliament 2004 (NB: my translation of his speech, held in Swedish)

Mr Speaker, Honoured Members of Parliament,

Today the Parliament gathers again and we are reminded that our short Nordic summer is coming to an end. Once again we can look forward to an autumn full of colour and with a high and clear air.

It is my hope that all of you during the summer have had at least some time for rest and reflection, which has filled you with energy and inclination to bring on all the tasks that await. Maybe you have also been inspired by our good athletes, who have shown both great individual performances and great team spirit during the Olympic Games in Athens.

I would like to present greeting from the two countries that The Queen and I have recently visited, Olympia’s Greece and the tales’ Iceland. It is two countries with a long and learned history of how democracy is built, kept and developed.

In these countries, we have been reminded of the importance to manage what we have been trusted with and the importance to pass it on to coming generations.

A new Session of the Parliament takes its beginning. The decisions that you will take will affect the conditions for many citizens, now and in the future. It makes another foundation in our valuable society.

Many issues that surround the nations and the citizen’s security, education, work, the health care sector, environment and international cooperation will fill your daily work. It is all of our hope that, when this Session is ended, more progress, for joy and benefit of many people, can be presented.

Already at this point, we know that 2004 will make history as the year when the European Union was enlarged with many free, democratic countries. During the State Visit to Slovenia in June, The Queen and I could see many proofs for the general interest in the union, and how dependent we are of each other across all borders.

The enlargement also emphasizes the importance of every country carrying out its part in the work of settling all conflicts, protecting the environment and emphasizes all people’s equal value. These aspirations can be carried out in many different ways, by cooperation between countries or by peoples or organisations non-profit work. The immense tragedy that the world recently witnessed in the Russian city Beslan, once again shows proof of the importance of never becoming tired of the work for mutual respect and understanding between population and individuals. Everyone must take a responsibility in this important work.

The Swedish people have given you all its trust in forming the terms of our future society. I wish you all great wisdom and endurance in the managing of this democratic responsibility.

With these words, I hereby declare the 2005/2005 Session of the Parliament open.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
More photos from IS

Old 09-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Majesty

Even more photos from IS. It was odd that the first two photos didn´t work but I got them up for you.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Majesty

The last group of photos from IS. Bravo to them for having such nice photos.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

We might have posted the same pics here... But I guess it's okay anyway, at least there are pics to see. :) And since your (Dennis) pictures are on Photobucket, they'll be available longer.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Majesty

Yes. A simple mistake on my part. I saw the message from Yennie and I went over to IS to see and I noticed that there were photos up so I downloaded them on to the hard drive so I could put them onto my PB account. And I had not seen that GD had already posted. O, well.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks to Dennis and GrandDuchess for posting the new pictures.

A ponytail...sigh...when there´s one thing, that I hate more than a ponytail at an official function, than it´s a ponytail + a hat combined
Old 09-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena

A ponytail...sigh...when there´s one thing, that I hate more than a ponytail at an official function, than it´s a ponytail + a hat combined
You make me laugh hilariously sometimes Lena! But yet so very true: Hats and ponytails are very odd combinations to me, too. One would just think that it might be a bit awkward and uncomfortable to have something like a ponytail protuding from beneath one's hat. Now more than ever we need to raise funds to send Lena or someone over there to give Victoria hair and fashion advice ...

And thank you very much GrandDuchess and Dennis for all your pictures.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
You can now watch the opening of the parliament/riksdagen live at http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.j...usRenderType=6
It will not let me watch. What do you use to watch?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Nobility

maybe it's just me, but she has worn that hat a lot. I think it needs to be retierd. It hides her eyes too....it would be bug me to have soming that low over my eyes.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby86
It will not let me watch. What do you use to watch?
You have to click on the link "se webbteve" under the picture, then it will play in windows media
Old 09-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Now more than ever we need to raise funds to send Lena or someone over there to give Victoria hair and fashion advice ...
I think we should do this job together...we could show Victoria on a flip chart our fashion plans...and then we take the scissors...

Quote:
maybe it's just me, but she has worn that hat a lot. I think it needs to be retierd.
I agree with you, robby. But I also see that an opening of a parliament means wearing a hat for princesses. It´s a traditon. But Victoria surely could find something better.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think we should do this job together...we could show Victoria on a flip chart our fashion plans...and then we take the scissors...

I agree with you, robby. But I also see that an opening of a parliament means wearing a hat for princesses. It´s a traditon. But Victoria surely could find something better.
A flip chart ... fabulous idea! Can we bring the colour wheel for her too? Show her all the colours of the rainbow she is neglecting in her wardrobe?

robby86, Lena and I will add to our list of things to advise Victoria about when we have our consultation with her: Better hats that don't hide your lovely eyes.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

Lovely pictures indeed. It is always a pleasure to see Princess Lilian out and about. She looked really elegant and lovely today.

Quote:

Lol..I don't mind hats and a ponytail. I figure one must do something with one's hair when a hat; a ponytail is just an easy and convenient solution.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Aristocracy

Does any one know how Princess Lilian's health is?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rop81
You have to click on the link "se webbteve" under the picture, then it will play in windows media
It says that the playlist is not recognizeable....maybe you or someone can tell me what it is of. Thank.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by megknight
Does any one know how Princess Lilian's health is?
There was nothing announced from the palace (stay in a hospital, quiting Royal duties etc.) So here the saying "no news is good news" is probably true. But I´ve to say, that she seemed quite fragile and tired to me today (in the live-stream). On the other hand for a woman of that age she´s quite fit. I might be wrong, but when I count right, then she´s the second oldest Royal (in the sense of "to the Royal house belonging") in Europe (after prince Bernhard of the Netherlands)!