Luxembourg State Visit to Sweden: April 15-17, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! Everyone looked fantastic, I am thrilled. Perhaps the only gown I'm not thrilled with is Silvia's gown - retire it for ten years please!!!
Thanks for all the pictures.

That beautiful they are the pictures, The Grand Duchess María Teresa this very pretty and elegant one, for my it is the best

victoria looks superb! her pink outfit is marvellous and i also really liked her chosen gala gown.

Silver and Golden Princesses:wub:

Both princesses looks so elegant.
Maybe if Madeleine (little chubby but qute) would took her hair up and take shoulder straps she would look much better.
Victoria should take her tiara not so high.
Both looks great during welcoming. New hats and outfits for them how good specialy Viki.

Comparing Silvia with her daughters they win the competition for the best swedish gown. I hope to see her in better gown.

Maria Teresa once again elegant. Maybe if not this tiara but it was ok.

Last edited:
I have to say that I am disappointed by hats worn by Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine. The suit worn by Crown Princess Victoria has got a nice style, but I am not sure about the colour. Yes, Crown Princess’ suit does liken suits worn by Crown Princess Mathilde very much. Princess Madeleine’s jacket was ill-fitted; I do like her ponytail though. Grand Duchess’s grey outfit is perfect.
I am not sure about the snow white gala dress worn by Grand Duchess Maria Teresia. Queen Silvia’s dress has got a nice cut, but the colour is totally wrong. The gala dresses of Crown Princess Victoria and her sister are acceptable, but could have been better.

The Grand Duchess looked magnificent, I thought. The white dress set off her colour nicely, and the jewels were just the right size for her.

Silvia… the dress looked like it didn't fit quite right, and while she looked good in the colour, it definitely did not mix well with the order she was wearing.

After Victoria and Madeleine's interesting colour-coordination, and put together looks, earlier in the day, I was a bit let down by the evening.

Since "shiny" and "heavy recycled" are my enemies Nr1 in connection with watching the SRF and their style, I can´t say, that this evening was a success...and so all points go imo to the Grand Duchess.

Victoria´s dress isn´t just shiney, but reminds me of a shower curtain (you know the cheap ones, they have in motels and hostels) meeting alu foil :ohmy: I´ve liked her look at the Norwegian Opera Opening soooooo much better...or her daytime style...

Last edited:
Why, oh why ...

Marie Terese just can't get it right. Her arrival outfit totally overwhelmed her with a thick fur wrapped around her neck and a squishy hat. It probably looked great as a design on paper, but on her - no. She's short. She needs to wear clothes which elongate her figure, not push her down. A white gown may look good with her complexion, but it doesn't do her any favors figure-wise. She needed that shawl ariound her shoulders and arms. Same hairdo as earlier just doesn't go with a tiara - it's too girlish. She really piles on the make-up. Her face always looks very oily and shiny.
Queen Silvia is starting to show her age. She still has a great figure, but she looked so old ladyish with the white hat plopped on the back of her head and the fur coat. Her gala gown was a lovely cut, but looked old and worn.
Victoria looked amazing - her pink suit was refreshing and her gala gown looked young and trendy - I loved the halter neckline.
Madeleine looked so-so. Her gray suit was uninspiring and her gala gown was just a nice dress.
I don't know why, but Madeleine always looks like she'd be more comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt.

I thought Madde and MT both looked stunning! Silvia looked regal as usual. Carl, handsome as always ;) I was underwhelmed with Victoria's dress though.

Dissapointed wth the Sweedish ladies. Victoria looked like a 60's toilet roll holder and Madeleine, one of Gold Members (Austin Powers) lady companions. And what of Silvia? Burn that evening dress. Colour's reasonably ok, but that's about it.

As for Maria Theresa...:ohmy:...what a sight!!! This lady just continues to impress me (except for the Dutch and Belgian State Banquets).

She's a chunky latina, but she dresses so elegantly (much of the time). Even when you can see a roll or two she looks brilliant. And I mention her build with the utmost respect.

And what a fabulous choice in jewellery. Loving the old work charm she brings...diamond chocker accompanied by a diamond riviere...I say next time add a strand or two of pearls, or even a slightly larger diamond riviere. HRH would work it and it would look so damn classy, imo.

Lovely choice of tiara aswell. And to think they were going to auction it. Talk about moments of insanity!!!

Lovely evening dress, though leave the beaded straps alone.

Gogroeus brooch too. It's the second time she's worn it in Sweden. The other time being to Carl XVI Gustav's 60th Birthday Gala Banquet.

Last edited:
waouh victoria looks fabulous !!!!!!

15-04-2008 Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and Queen Silvia with Grand Duke Henri visited the Vasa Museum and the Old Town.

PPE Agency

And I have to say that Maria Theresa's arrival outfit was pure elegance!

A beautifully tailored suit and such striking colours for HRH. Great use of fur (LOVE IT) and the hat, shoes and clutch are so so perfect.

Here, imo, is the personification of what a Grand Duchess should look like in public.

Last edited:
Is that Prince Carl-Johans wife behind Victoria and Carl-Philip in your first picture?

You're right, it is Countess Gunnila Bernadotte of Wisborg and her husband. I think she has worn that dress before. It's kind of fitting that they were there, since it was Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg who granted the title of Count of Wisborg to the Swedish Princes who married without permission.

I love Crown Princess Victoria's outfits, both day and night! She is getting more stylish and beautiful every day. It was so fun to see her wear such a strong colour like she did during the day, very unusual for her.:clap:

Thanks for the information and links!

Why don't walk the king yesterday with the guests and queen though Stockholm Gamla Stan and don't visit Vasa-museum?

Princess Victoria looks amazing,her dress is stunning!!

Great picturs from the royal families, they are nice dressed, the grey had of the duches i don't like. But the princesses are beautifull !!!

Victoria : Awful galadress. I don't like it at all. Makes her look matronly.
Madeleine: Much better then her daytime oufit. She looked lovely.
Silvia: I love pink. ;)So I loved her dress.
MT: Not sure. She looked lovely.
But I am still shocked by Victoria's dress.

Last edited:
Queen Silvias hat :eek: One of the worst i have ever seen - it looks like she has put a mushroom on top of her head... Victoria looked good, and i still love her gala dress from last night. Madeleine did not look good last night though - to much gold and shiny - she looked tacky...

What's that thing on Silvia's head? I guess it is supposed to be a hat?
It's really ugly.
The thing Victoria wears on her head isn't any better.
I have to admit that I hate this headpiece-fashion that came up a few years ago (I guess it was Mette-Marit who created this trend..wearing this flower headpiece on Ingrid's christening). Since then those flower-pots are worn way to often IMO.
The Ladies looked so lovely, wearing normal hats, yesterday. Today... disappointing.

Last edited:
i realoly like victoria's outfit: slim black pencil skirt, black and white striped jacket. dislike the hat, but i guess it does bring some Spring-y exuberance to the rest of the outfit.

mt looks great. she always dresses elegantly (well almost always) and in a way which is flattering to her curvy figure.

it's amazing what clothes can do. mt looks slimmer than sylvia whose horizontally striped skirt makes her look wider.

Today was a big improvement!
Victoria looked fabulous --- she lately seems to be having fun with fashion - she's young, why not?
Silvia looked very queenly --- the hat was OK --- I love when she wears a chignon like Victoria. Now, for daytime, she doesn't seem to put as much energy into her hair-dos. Her hair always looks the same in the daytime and she just plops a hat onto her head.
Marie Terese looked so much better today. She kept her outfit simple. Black is flattering and slimming. However, she needs to lengthen her skirts to just below her knees - above the knee hem lengths do not flatter her legs. And when she sits down and the skirt rides up exposing even more leg ... oh dear!
Like her longer, blonder hair-do. But, still piles on the make-up, too much blush.

The hats that ladies wore during a symposium on energy and environment at the Royal Swedish Academy of Science in Stockholm were not a good choice at all.
What is it exactly around Grand Duchess Maria Teresa's neck?:ermm: Was it necessary to wear so many pieces at once? Additionally Grand Duchess definitely prefers to wear conical hats during this visit.
I like Crown Princess Victoria's outfit only: classical combination of colours and great hair style. I wish she did not wear that hat...

Dissapointed wth the Sweedish ladies. Victoria looked like a 60's toilet roll holder and Madeleine, one of Gold Members (Austin Powers) lady companions. And what of Silvia? Burn that evening dress. Colour's reasonably ok, but that's about it.

As for Maria Theresa...:ohmy:...what a sight!!! This lady just continues to impress me (except for the Dutch and Belgian State Banquets).

She's a chunky latina, but she dresses so elegantly (much of the time). Even when you can see a roll or two she looks brilliant. And I mention her build with the utmost respect.

And what a fabulous choice in jewellery. Loving the old work charm she brings...diamond chocker accompanied by a diamond riviere...I say next time add a strand or two of pearls, or even a slightly larger diamond riviere. HRH would work it and it would look so damn classy, imo.

Lovely choice of tiara aswell. And to think they were going to auction it. Talk about moments of insanity!!!

Lovely evening dress, though leave the beaded straps alone.

Gogroeus brooch too. It's the second time she's worn it in Sweden. The other time being to Carl XVI Gustav's 60th Birthday Gala Banquet.
Oh thank goodness, I thought that I was the only one that thought the Swedish ladies were lacking in the style department on this particular occasion. You are right MT is wonderful. I love that she's "chunky" and still dresses and carries herself well.

Oh thank goodness, I thought that I was the only one that thought the Swedish ladies were lacking in the style department on this particular occasion. You are right MT is wonderful. I love that she's "chunky" and still dresses and carries herself well.

She really is a "hit or miss" in the fashion department. A lot of the times there is just too much going on - too much jewelry, too much make-up, waaaaay too short skirts - she's short and chunky, that's true. But a very good stylist
could help immensely. Sometimes (like yesterday) she looked a stuffed sausage roll. She does not wear hats well - todays simple pill-box style looked great. Last night's gala gown probably looked great in the designer's sketch, but in reality ... MT looked uncomfortable - the dress did not fit well on the top and she was clutching her wrap/stole for dear life. She needs to keep her upper arms at least partially covered. She has worn some beautiful gowns in the past which do just that. She looks great in the Empire-style gowns.
She needs to pare it way down (like today) and keep it simple with longer skirts, less make-up and simple jewelry.

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and Queen Silvia arrive to visit Gustav III's Pavillion at Haga Park in Stockholm
Getty
Getty
Queen Silvia
Getty

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom