King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 5: July 2006 - Oct 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandDuchess

Heir Apparent
City
Somwhere
Country
Sweden
Welcome to part 10 of the threads devoted to the current events of Their Majesties the King and Queen of Sweden!

The last thread can be found here.

Please remember to observe our TRF Posting Rules & Guidelines.

Happy posting!

This is not really a current event but yesterday I went to the Swedish bakery called Miss Mauds to buy a cake for my Mum and there was a cake in the bakery window called the Queen Silvia cake. It was a large chocolate cake. Just thought I would share that with you:)

I understand that when Crown Prince Carl Gustav's intentions to then Silvia Sommerlath became known, in order to for her to be "acceptable" as royalty, she was granted a duchy somewhere in northern Sweden. She wears the costume of the region on occasions involving localities. Where is it?

Cousine said:
I understand that when Crown Prince Carl Gustav's intentions to then Silvia Sommerlath became known, in order to for her to be "acceptable" as royalty, she was granted a duchy somewhere in northern Sweden. She wears the costume of the region on occasions involving localities. Where is it?
Hmm, does she has a duchy? I dont think so...The royal court doesnt mention anything about it... I might have mixed things up here. Anyone knows for sure?

But I know that she has several costumes from various swedish countys that she wears when she´s visiting different parts of Sweden

Cousine said:
You must've understood it wrong, or then read it from a source who made it up. Queen Silvia's only title is Queen of Sweden. She was Miss Silvia Sommerlath until the moment she said "yes" to King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden at the altar of the Stockholm Cathedral - then she became Queen Silvia, Queen of Sweden.

Carl Gustaf was Crown Prince when he met Silvia at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, but he became King only one year later - while he and Silvia were still "dating" each other. So it was a King, asking Silvia to be his Queen, when the proposal came many years later.

As Yennie has correctly said already, the Queen wears both the national costume as well as the regional province costumes regularly when she attends special occasions.

My source is 100% on the fact that she was independently granted a separate title before marriage and that she represents that region on certain occasions. I am pretty sure it was a duchy, but on that point I am not certain. Is there one regional costume someone can identify?

All the sources that I am looking at only refer to Queen Silvia as Queen Silva period. As Yennie said, Carl Gustav was King when he and Silvia married so she was never a Crown Princess hence, she was never granted a duchy such as Vastergotland or Gastrickland etc. She was simply Miss Silvia Sommerlath before the wedding and Queen Silvia of Sweden upon the marriage. I can't find any sources that say that she was given a duchy. What source did you get it from? Maybe we can help more

Last edited:
Cousine said:
Is there one regional costume someone can identify?
Queen Silvia has several costumes that she wears when she visits different countys. Like, when she was in Malmö on June 6th she had one on, and when she was in Västergötland last year(or was it 2004?) she wore another. And every year when Victoria celebrates her birthday she wears "Ölandsdräkten".

But I agree, why shouldn´t she have a duchy when the rest of the family has? The title Queen is not that bad, but still :)

Duchy of Queen Silvia

I guess you refer to this:
King Carl Gustaf is also Duke of Jämtland.
When the royal couple is abroad privately they sometimes call themselves Duke and Duchess of Jämtland.

Do you are know when and who start this year the "Kungsrallye". The start is each two years. The last oldtimer-rallye started 2004.

Today Thursday, His Majesty the King met with Sweden's top politicians as he chaired the Advisory Council on Foreign Affairs (a parliamentary appointed advisory organ to the Government) at the Royal Palace of Stockholm at 11:30 AM. The Crown Princess was also present alongside her father.

The meeting was held in Lovisa Ulrika's dining room in the Bernadotte Apartments, and both the Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs came to discuss, brief and inform the assembly about the situation in Lebanon (Sweden's participance in a peace keeping force, the Lebanon conference the Prime Minister has offered to host etc etc). The events in London also came up.

www.imaginescandinavia.com shows 101 pictures of the King and Queen joyning the Kings Rallye today.
Maybe some of you could be so kind and post some of the pictures here in the forum. That would be great!
Thanks in advance. :flowers:

Today Saturday, the King and Queen participated in the veteran car competition The King's Rally on the island of Öland. The competition was a gift founded for the King's 50th birthday in 1996, after 220 donors gave the King an old Volvo PV 60 1946, and the first King's Rally was held in 1997.

126 cars participated, and of them - 14 were Rolls Royces, 10 Jaguars and 4 Ferrari. There were also some rarer and older cars, like the Iso Grifo 7L from 1970, Maserati Indy America -72, Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire -53, Buick Special -37 and an MG J2 Sport -32. The competition is only open to donors, and this year two high profiles couples - the President of AB Volvo and CEO of the Volvo Group, Leif Johansson, and his wife Eva, who drove a Volvo 164 1974, and businessman Olof Stenhammar and his wife Inger who drove a Pontiac GTO -66 that they had borrowed from the King.

A very special feature this year was the the only remaining "white Bernadotte bus", one of those used by Count Folke Bernadotte to save people from concentration camps during Hitler's regime, was present.

Imagine Scandinavia, part 1

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 339
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 395
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 399
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 347
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 373
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 304
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 384
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
The King's Rally on the ilsland of Öland today, Saturday.

Imagine Scandinavia, part 2

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 326
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 438
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 307
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 421
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 441
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 367
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 363
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 276
An article from the Royal Court tells us a little bit more about The King's Rally that was held yesterday on the island of Öland, in attendance of the King and Queen...

The veteran car cortège went through Borgholm (the central town of the island) to the Solliden Palace where they lined up before continuing through many small towns and places around the island, before finishing at the Borgholm castle ruins, where the participants had lunch, and then the prize giving ceremony took place in the afternoon.

A new feature this year was that the drivers had to perform certain tests or tasks along the driving route, there were three stations.

Pictures by Jonas Ekströmer/Scanpix via the Royal Court's website.

Attachments

• 060812+HMD+Kungsrallyt+SCANPIX+JONAS+EKSTRÖMER+280+233.jpg
    060812+HMD+Kungsrallyt+SCANPIX+JONAS+EKSTRÖMER+280+233.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 469
  • 060812+HMK+Kungsrallyt+bollkast+SCANPIX+JONAS+EKSTRÖMER+280+233.jpg
    060812+HMK+Kungsrallyt+bollkast+SCANPIX+JONAS+EKSTRÖMER+280+233.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 612
  • 060812+HMK+Kungsrallyt+SCANPIX++JONAS+EKSTRÖMER+280+233.jpg
    060812+HMK+Kungsrallyt+SCANPIX++JONAS+EKSTRÖMER+280+233.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 489
found more pictures from Royal rally at Borgholm

BORGHOLM 2006-08-12.
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden today were present at Kungsrallyt - The King's Rally - at Borgholm on the island of Öland. The royal couple drove a Volvo PV 60 from 1946, given to the King on his 50th anniversary 1996.

(photos by Stefan Lindblom)

Last edited:
Queen Silvia is beautiful and King Carl Gustaf is happy!!! Queen Silvia is much beautiful dress and elegant!!! Perceft summer!!!

I love the pictures. The king and queen look like they're from the 40s or 50s. Very cute.:flowers:

Do you know, what are the king and queen doing at time and next week?

Next week (week 34) the royal couple hasn't official engagement, only the crown princess!
Last years the king and queen was attend by "Waterprize" celebration-gala, this year only Victoria!

ursulajohanna said:
Do you know, what are the king and queen doing at time and next week?

Next week (week 34) the royal couple hasn't official engagement, only the crown princess!
Last years the king and queen was attend by "Waterprize" celebration-gala, this year only Victoria!
I would say that they're still on holiday after a very busy first half year 2006, don't know where though.

GrandDuchess, thanks for your information. But I must say, that they have very long holiday, since Mid of June?! At last years they start the work in the middle of August.

ursulajohanna said:
GrandDuchess, thanks for your information. But I must say, that they have very long holiday, since Mid of June?! At last years they start the work in the middle of August.
Well they've had a very busy first half 2006, so I think they more than deserve their long holiday. I'm very impressed with their work so far, they've been abroad a lot - and more is to come this autumn...

From January to July 2006 - the King, Queen or both have been in:

- Athens, Greece
- Bangkok, Thailand
- London, England
- New York, the USA
- Turin, Italy
- Kiel, Germany
- Berlin, Germany
- Leipzig, Germany
- Essen, Germany
- Munich, Germany
- Luxembourg

- Turkey, State Visit
- China, State Visit

Most Swedes went back to work last week or this week, so the King and Queen aren't that different in how they plan their vacations.

They also had to break off their holiday for the State Visit to China, which took some of their holiday away. So I guess it varies from year to year how they plan things, but this year they've been working so hard, they have certainly earned their time off.

GrandDuchess, I agree with you - the royal couple had a very busy half year 2006.

But they are holiday, too (Beginning-Middle January, March, April and from Middle June...).

I mean the royal couple was attend by "Waterfestival" last years and the crown princess celebrated only the junior-award.

A Hello! Article: http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/08/15/swedishroyals/

(Credit: Hello Magazine)
CarlGustaf.jpg

Silvia3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom