June 6 - Sweden's National Day (2010-2024)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems like a smart idea for someone almost 9 months pregnant. Estelle looks cute. :flowers:

June 6, 2015 - Sweden's National Day

It is not that simple. Over the past 200 years or so, modern European monarchies have emphasized the "family" side of the ruling royal house to broaden their popular appeal. When Madeleine attends major royal events like the National Day celebrations, at least part of the Swedish people expects to see her husband by her side, especially when she is 9 months pregnant and about to give birth.

Most swedes don't care a second about Chris. Chris is not from Sweden and does not live in Sweden. He's a businessman who works in many countries. That's not a surprise for anyone. Chris choosed to not become a member of the royal family as he turned down princely titles so he can do so wich Daniel and soon also Sofia can't. That's life. Madeleine and the court was well aware about that before their marriage. It is just sad that the press departement at the place can't communicate that in a proper way.

Most swedes don't care a second about Chris. Chris is not from Sweden and does not live in Sweden. He's a businessman who works in many countries. That's not a surprise for anyone. Chris choosed to not become a member of the royal family as he turned down princely titles so he can do so wich Daniel and soon also Sofia can't. That's life. Madeleine and the court was well aware about that before their marriage. It is just sad that the press departement at the place can't communicate that in a proper way.

That doesn't make a difference in which way the court communicates Chris' absence or if they tell that he isn't a part of the official family. I think that still many people in Sweden and abroad think that a husband should follow his wife to important events where the wife is invited, especially if the wife is going to give birth in a couple of weeks.

A big gallery of the day, will still be updated
Fullspäckat schema under nationaldagen | Nyheter | Expressen

The broadcast from the celebration in Skansen starts now
Nationaldagen 2015 | SVT Play

Photos
https://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/e21729fc481ea219780f6a7067002d7d.jpg
https://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/eb260e42481fa219780f6a706700b8c4.jpg
https://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/64dbc4f24823a219780f6a706700987e.jpg
https://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/d12236f64821a219780f6a7067008912.jpg

The king's speech
H.M. Konungens tal vid nationaldagsfirandet på Skansen den 6 juni 2015 - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

The reception
APA-Picturedesk

Last edited by a moderator:

Very beautiful pictures thanks. But i don't know it's a little sad to see Mdeleine alone.Just i feel.

Yes, the lonely princess. It reminds me of the iconic picture of Diana at the Taj Mahal in India.

How this remembered? wow You have so right.:sad:

I'm sure Chris saw this coming and that's why he refused a title.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Estelle is adorable! Lovely to see her sitting with her future aunt!

Very beautiful pictures thanks. But i don't know it's a little sad to see Mdeleine alone.Just i feel.

Yes, the lonely princess. It reminds me of the iconic picture of Diana at the Taj Mahal in India.

Looking at the Live Coverage. I'm amazed on how beautiful Sweden is. Looks like a great place to live.

Royalista article with pic of Estelle looking adorable: Princess Estelle wishes her countrymen a great National Day | Royalista

As much as I enjoy seeing pics of Estelle in her finest I would also very much like to see her thoroughly dirty.
Those of us who have children know from experience that there is no spot on a small child, no matter how inaccessible, that cannot become muddy! :frazzled: :lol:
That is a picture I'd like to see. :p

A great pic of Bella, not being the least bit charmed by the eels and crabs: https://da-dk.facebook.com/tv2nyhederne/posts/1216038315078473

Last edited:
Very cool to see Sofia's first national day- she looked to be having a lot of fun with it.

I almost wish they had arranged the group photo differently though- as is, it just emphasizes that Chris isn't there.

Maybe all the men at the back and all women at the front or something like that would have been more tactful.

Video of the king and queen in Örebro
Kungligt mottagande _ SVT Play

Video of Victoria and Daniel in Uppsala
24UNT - UNT.se

Photos of the king and queen in Örebro
Flaggan i topp för Sveriges nationaldag — Örebro Tribune

Short video from the Tapto from court Instagram
http://iconosquare.com/p/1001629980813151061_256029081

As much as I enjoy seeing pics of Estelle in her finest I would also very much like to see her thoroughly dirty.
Those of us who have children know from experience that there is no spot on a small child, no matter how inaccessible, that cannot become muddy! :frazzled: :lol:
That is a picture I'd like to see. :p[/url]

Not a muddy Estelle, but she certainly wasn't her happy self at the cortege today.
https://instagram.com/p/3meDrOu4g5/?taken-by=pelletnilsson
Madeleine
https://instagram.com/p/3merV9u4il/?taken-by=pelletnilsson
Carl Philip and Sofia
https://instagram.com/p/3meMx0O4hW/?taken-by=pelletnilsson

Madeleine looks fine she is with her family she and Chris obviously want to have it this way and are happy with this arrangement.

Thanks to all who shared photos of National Day. :) It's great to see the RF together though I wonder why Princess Leonore was absent (Chris's absence didn't surprise me), as she often attends events like this and attended her first National Day last year.

It's nice to see Prince Carl Philip and Sofia in a carriage with Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel. She seems to be quite close to Princess Estelle and Princess Leonore as she was sitting near Estelle at her marriage banns IIRC, and held Leonore at a recent family event.

Thank you for the photos. Do the men of the SRF ever wear national costume to these events?

There is a men's version of the Swedish national dress, but IIRC it has never been worn by the royal men. But a Swedish member could correct me if I'm wrong as I've only been following the family since 2011. :flowers:

Agree with your post. Chris has his own career and as he will most likely drop everything to be with Princess Madeleine when she goes into labor, he like most people has to plan which event he is able to take time of for. I can only imagine the comments if he would not be working and just spend his days in Stockholm and participating in royal events. That worked for Princess Lilian, it will not work for Chris.

I totally agree with you. Why should the Swedish people care if he attends or not, we don't even know him. And that is the way he wants it. This is probably ju another story that is going way out of proportion so that the newspapers could sell some additional issues. But yes, the press department could handle this better.

Ok is the reason Sofia's head is uncovered because she's unmarried?

I notice, Maddie and Victoria and the Queen have covered heads.

LaRae

LaRae

Yes, that's correct. Traditionally a woman started to cover her head at time of marriage. Before that her head was uncovered and she had her loose or in braids. There's even a local tradition from my part of Sweden where the mother-in-law cut the hair of the bride before putting the headdress on her.

Yes, that's correct. Traditionally a woman started to cover her head at time of marriage. Before that her head was uncovered and she had her loose or in braids. There's even a local tradition from my part of Sweden where the mother-in-law cut the hair of the bride before putting the headdress on her.

Thanks! Neat tradition (assuming you wanted short hair) of the MIL cutting the new bride's hair.

LaRae

LaRae

Correct, that's a tradition going back to the Viking Age and probably before even then: https://app.box.com/s/pwlr6c0ht2ktyoii4t51
As a little curiosum: The women depicted here would probably have looked a little more masculine in the body-build, according to recent findings.

Last edited:
Agree with your post. Chris has his own career and as he will most likely drop everything to be with Princess Madeleine when she goes into labor, he like most people has to plan which event he is able to take time of for. I can only imagine the comments if he would not be working and just spend his days in Stockholm and participating in royal events. That worked for Princess Lilian, it will not work for Chris.

I bet Madeleine may have attended several dinners or events in New York connected with Chris' business or clients. Why can't Chris support her occasionally in important events related to her job as a princess of Sweden ?

Chris has left Madeleine alone in Sweden since April (supposedly to find "accomodation"in London even though he's actually planning to live at one of his mother's properties). As far as we know, he's not commuting between London and Stockholm to attend to his heavily pregnant wife and his infant daughter. And now there are rumors he is actually moving out of Sweden to avoid disclosing his tax returns. Quite frankly, that doesn't good to me.

As for Madeleine, I commend her sense of duty to king and country. Other women in her condition would have avoided today's celebrations, but she insisted on attending, however umcomfortable that might have been to her, to fulfill her obligations as a royal princess. Too bad her husband couldn't find the time to stand by her.

Back
Top Bottom