The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-06-2015, 09:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I bet Madeleine may have attended several dinners or events in New York connected with Chris' business or clients. Why can't Chris support her occasionally in important events related to her job as a princess of Sweden ?

Chris has left Madeleine alone in Sweden since April (supposedly to find "accomodation"in London even though he's actually planning to live at one of his mother's properties). As far as we know, he's not commuting between London and Stockholm to attend to his heavily pregnant wife and his infant daughter. And now there are rumors he is actually moving out of Sweden to avoid disclosing his tax returns. Quite frankly, that doesn't good to me.

As for Madeleine, I commend her sense of duty to king and country. Other women in her condition would have avoided today's celebrations, but she insisted on attending, however umcomfortable that might have been to her, to fulfill her obligations as a royal princess. Too bad her husband couldn't find the time to stand by her.
Chris would have known the Swedish tax system prior to moving to Stockholm. To assume it came as a surprise is not very believable. If we are concerned that they are not in the same place we should perhaps then wonder why she is not in London with her husband. They have different nationalities and responsibilities and having to spend some time apart is nothing strange. She married someone that works for a living and must have known what that would entail. As the princess is soon giving birth it may be more important for them that Chris is with her when she is giving birth than today's events.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Thanks to all who shared photos of National Day. It's great to see the RF together though I wonder why Princess Leonore was absent (Chris's absence didn't surprise me), as she often attends events like this and attended her first National Day last year.

It's nice to see Prince Carl Philip and Sofia in a carriage with Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel. She seems to be quite close to Princess Estelle and Princess Leonore as she was sitting near Estelle at her marriage banns IIRC, and held Leonore at a recent family event.

There is a men's version of the Swedish national dress, but IIRC it has never been worn by the royal men. But a Swedish member could correct me if I'm wrong as I've only been following the family since 2011.
IMO, Leonore might not have been there because Chris wasn't. Madeleine is getting awfully close to her Due Date, she did look tired today, and from what we've seen Leonore is a very busy young lady. :). You consider all that and no surprise really she's not there.

Although I too would have loved to see that Toddler version of the Female Swedish National Dress on Leonore today. :). Oh well...Speaking of the National Dress, IMHO I do not think it flatters a very heavily pregnant lady at all. Just the way the Overskirt/Apron is gathered and how far up it was riding, it just didn't do Madeleine any favours IMO and yes, I do know she had to wear it today.

If you desire to pitch something in my direction for the above, I gladly accept Raspberry Cheesecake and Black Forest Cake.

After seeing that link up there I now understand why the Royal Ladies are the only ones to wear Sweden's National Dress. My goodness those Mustard Yellow...Knickers I'll call them would certainly open up the Men to some rather vicious ribbing in certain quarters.

Oh and before I forget...Estelle's headband, is that part of the National Dress for a little one? Even if not, I thought it looked good on her.

Thanks to one and all for the Pictures and links. This day is always one of my Favourites in the Royal Year and did not disappoint. :)

Now...Things really ramp into high gear for a week from now. Can not wait!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 06-06-2015, 11:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I just love the national day! How wonderful madeleine participated I don't think I would have at nine months ,shows how she cases. I do think she has quite a bit of room and we may see a baby in julu. the cut of the national day outfit. Is not good for that. Too bad we didn't see Leo nore
Old 06-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Majesty

The photos are all beautiful. The Swedish RF is(along with the Grimaldis of Monaco) the most physically beautiful and photogenic of all the families, imo.

I've said it before but Princess Estelle is a child straight from a fairy tale. She and Prince George of Cambridge are dream children.

It's very impressive the way Sofia seems to fit right in to the family at this point with no awkwardness or nerves.

Madeleine is a trooper, period.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Good gallery of Victoria and Daniel in Uppsala and the evening's concert
Bernard Rübsamen

The best for me on the day were Estelle's photo, the king and queen in Örebro, Victoria and Daniel in Uppsala and the Tapto at the end of the day at the courtyard of the Royal Palace. It is wonderful to look at a military band at the courtyard of the Royal Palace.

What was interesting in yesterday, was that the king didn't mention the wedding at his speech at all, like he did in 2010 and 2013.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbellar View Post
Yes she does cut a lonely figure there but, judging from other photos of her she seemed quite content.

https://instagram.com/p/3merV9u4il/?...=pelletnilsson

More importantly, I now know that if Princess Madeleine makes it to the wedding she will be wearing high heels!

Quote:
Thanks to all who shared photos of National Day. It's great to see the RF together though I wonder why Princess Leonore was absent (Chris's absence didn't surprise me), as she often attends events like this and attended her first National Day last year.
Quite right. Just another National Day although I suspect that Princess Leonore may have been just a little too much to handle.

Quote:
It's nice to see Prince Carl Philip and Sofia in a carriage with Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel. She seems to be quite close to Princess Estelle and Princess Leonore as she was sitting near Estelle at her marriage banns IIRC, and held Leonore at a recent family event.
Happily, it would seem so. Love to see Sofia with an arm around Estelle to prevent her falling out of the carriage.

Quote:
There is a men's version of the Swedish national dress, but IIRC it has never been worn by the royal men. But a Swedish member could correct me if I'm wrong as I've only been following the family since 2011.
Well it seems we will have to wait until Victoria is Queen before we see equality of dress on National Day. As we have seen, some of the women look lovely and some don't, and some not all the time. I think Daniel and Carl Philip will look splendid in hose. Sauce for the Goose? Sauce for the Gander!

It's been a charming day, from Estelle's beautiful starter picture Perfect Princess to little Princess Thundercloud. That was quite some pout for such a little girl. But, more importantly, it's a healthy show of "normal".

Nationaldagshälsning från Kungafamiljen via Prinsessan Estelle - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

https://instagram.com/p/3meDrOu4g5/?...=pelletnilsson
Old 06-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Courtier

I've just been looking at the posed photos with all the ladies in the national dress. Lovely pics but why does Carl Gustav always look so grumpy?
Old 06-07-2015, 08:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video from yesterday's broadcast: The National Day concert in Skansen, the discussion and the Tapto
Old 06-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Courtier

I've seen many posts that write about the "Traditional" national dress worn by the royal ladies. Actually there's nothing traditional about it at all. Thought its inspired by the local costumes worn by the people for centuries it was created in 1902 by a association that wanted to liberate the-woman-of-the-day from the foreign fashions and create something easy and practical for them to wear.
The royal ladies of the day wore local costumes. Queen Victoria wore amongst others the Ölandsdress & the Vingåkersdress while Crown princess Margareta wore the Baradress (which incidentally is on a permanent display just a few km from where I live)
The dress wasn't a success and was quickly forgotten until it started to appear at museums in the 70s. Then after Queen Silvia started to wear it at the newly created "Day of the Swedish flag" in 1983 it had quite the renaissance.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you very much for this interesting piece of info... I' ve always wondered what kind of story that dress had...
Old 06-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Nobility

I tink that the Swedish parliament should declare this as the national costume for men and royal males should be mandated to wear this at future National Days.

https://igcdn-photos-b-a.akamaihd.ne...03506307_n.jpg
Old 06-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I tink that the Swedish parliament should declare this as the national costume for men and royal males should be mandated to wear this at future National Days.

I'm sure Chris saw this coming and that's why he refused a title.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I'm sure Chris saw this coming and that's why he refused a title.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post

This has made my morning...
Old 06-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
IMO, Leonore might not have been there because Chris wasn't. Madeleine is getting awfully close to her Due Date, she did look tired today, and from what we've seen Leonore is a very busy young lady. :). You consider all that and no surprise really she's not there.

Although I too would have loved to see that Toddler version of the Female Swedish National Dress on Leonore today. :). Oh well...Speaking of the National Dress, IMHO I do not think it flatters a very heavily pregnant lady at all. Just the way the Overskirt/Apron is gathered and how far up it was riding, it just didn't do Madeleine any favours IMO and yes, I do know she had to wear it today.
You've made a good point about Leonore's absence. Since Chris is now living in London, perhaps Leonore was visiting him there or she went with him there for a while.

The small version of Leonore's costume was adorable last year so I agree, it would've been cute to see her in national dress again this year. Maybe she will attend next year's celebrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Oh and before I forget...Estelle's headband, is that part of the National Dress for a little one? Even if not, I thought it looked good on her.
I was wondering about Estelle's headband too. It looks like it's an additional part of the national dress, maybe it's something that's only worn by children because Silvia, Victoria, Madeleine and Sofia weren't wearing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Happily, it would seem so. Love to see Sofia with an arm around Estelle to prevent her falling out of the carriage.
That's an adorable detail. Sofia has been growing on me since her engagement. It appears that she has been quickly accepted into the family and she also seems to be more reserved and serious about her role now that she will become a member of the SRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
It's been a charming day, from Estelle's beautiful starter picture Perfect Princess to little Princess Thundercloud. That was quite some pout for such a little girl. But, more importantly, it's a healthy show of "normal".

Nationaldagshälsning från Kungafamiljen via Prinsessan Estelle - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

https://instagram.com/p/3meDrOu4g5/?...=pelletnilsson
That's adorable, Estelle is definitely the junior queen of facial expressions. I think she gets it from her mother.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

PPE

PPE Agency
Old 06-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Commoner

Quote:
I've seen many posts that write about the "Traditional" national dress worn by the royal ladies. Actually there's nothing traditional about it at all. Thought its inspired by the local costumes worn by the people for centuries it was created in 1902 by a association that wanted to liberate the-woman-of-the-day from the foreign fashions and create something easy and practical for them to wear.
The royal ladies of the day wore local costumes. Queen Victoria wore amongst others the Ölandsdress & the Vingåkersdress while Crown princess Margareta wore the Baradress (which incidentally is on a permanent display just a few km from where I live)
The dress wasn't a success and was quickly forgotten until it started to appear at museums in the 70s. Then after Queen Silvia started to wear it at the newly created "Day of the Swedish flag" in 1983 it had quite the renaissance.

Thank you for your clarification.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:25 AM
Majesty

I was utterly charmed by this photo of Madeleine. She looked so happy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bnsd/1...7630842244808/
Old 06-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Thank you for sharing this detail, I never knew that before - a very interesting read. So the traditional dress is not so traditional. Was the national dress worn a lot when it was first created in 1902 (because you'd said that it was designed so that Swedish women could have something more practical to wear)?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank