General Swedish Royalty Facts, Discussion and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
purple_platinum said:
Has there been an updated agenda for the Swedish RF on January 2006?

if i remember correctly they always attended the Sports Gala? how about this year?
Not yet, I haven't heard or read anything and the Court's website calendar hasn't been updated with a new calendar for after their holiday yet...

The Swedish Sports Gala this year takes place on 16 January.

when there are state visits to sweden the king and Queens banqutte is most often in the royal palace however the germany one was at drottningholm palace "how often has that happned"

where does the return banquettes take place generlly

Queen silvia has a home for elderly named after her Silviahemmet

Also Queen Sofia has a nursing home Sophiahemmet at this house also the education of nurses took place they were called Sophiasystrar and to this day you can be a Sophiasystrer

are there more places like this in sweden

The bankett for the german guests was in Drottningholm palace because the kitchen in the royal palace was renovated at this time!

Most of the return-banketts are in the Grand Hotel.

Silvia school

Silviaskolan (Silvia school) is a school in southern Sweden (Skåne, Hässleholm) for children with hearing impairments.

does victoria or madleine have any schools named after them

if sweden would get the olympics a few years ago there was a stadium that would be called the victoriastadium and it would be placed in stockholm

have they worn tiaras in grand hotel i thought they cant wear tiaras at hotels

No, I think at all the last return-Galas by state visits (jordan and letland) they didn't worn tiaras.

soCal girl said:
The one born first I'm guessing. Technically, they would be the first born. I would feel bad for the other twin if they wished to be monarch. It would be like "I was two minutes behind!"

Actually thats not the case. A friend of mine told me it would be the second twin born who would be cp. because the old time assumption was first concieved would be the last to come out.

ews said:
Actually thats not the case. A friend of mine told me it would be the second twin born who would be cp. because the old time assumption was first concieved would be the last to come out.
No, its the same thing as for all siblings: the one that is born first is the heir.

In the latest years, the royal family/members has visited the town of Helsingborg in south Sweden a couple of times. Nothing sensational...
but:
It has been raining during all visits :)
Must be some anti-royalist who are in control of the wheather *lol*

Victoria inagurated Dunker cultur center in april 2002 - heavy rain
nl2wix.jpg

In june 2004 Víctoria visited Sofiero castle - rain

On june 2nd 2005 many Bernadotte- royals gathered at Sofiero to have a family reunion - rain

The visits have all taken place during wheatherwise "good months" so it should have been sunny atleast one of the times :)

photos from ibl, polfoto and allover

Last edited:
Royal burial ground Haga Park

I am looking for pictures of the graves in the royal burial ground Haga Park.
Especially those of Gustav Adolf VI, Queen Louise, Crown Princess Margaret and Prince Gustav Adolf and Princess Sybilla. Thanks.

The burial ground is a tiny peninsula in the Haga park.

Are you sure it's open to the public ??

I could be wrong, I just have the impression it's 'private property'

When Prince Bertil was buried some years ago the TV-cameras stopped following the mourning as they reached the Haga park. We didn't get to see the mausoleum or whatever it is on that little peninsula.

A few years ago there was photos of princess Lilian visiting prince Bertils grave...
But I dont know if anyone can visit it or if its open only for the family

With the news of the bird flu in Sweden it has brought up some quetions for me. If it gets big what will the RF do? Do they stay in the place in some kind of quarantine or would they go to a near by country were the king would deal with the problem from there? Have there been any instance in the past where the RF had to choose to stay or leave?

If no one knows maybe someone can point me in the right direction to find the info. Thank you.

robby86 said:
With the news of the bird flu in Sweden it has brought up some quetions for me. If it gets big what will the RF do? Do they stay in the place in some kind of quarantine or would they go to a near by country were the king would deal with the problem from there? Have there been any instance in the past where the RF had to choose to stay or leave?

If no one knows maybe someone can point me in the right direction to find the info. Thank you.
The only thing I´ve heard is that the royal family will get the medicin Tamiflu. Other than that I dont think there will be any special evacuation or something like that...

as long as it doesnt goes from human to human we are all quite safe

This photo of princess Lilian at prince Bertils grave was published in her biography "My life with prince Bertil" and taken by Clas Göran Carlson

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Princess Lilians husband Prince Bertil born 1912-1997 death after he was burial on Haga park. Princess Lilian and Prince Bertil have marriage on 21 years and together on over 50 year later.

It is royal burial ground Haga park:
Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden born 1882-1920 and King Gustaf Adolf born 1882-1973,
his second wife Queen Louise of Mountbatten born 1889-1965.
King Gustaf Adolfs children is Gustaf Adolf born 1906-1947, Sigvard of Bernadotte born 1907-2002.
Prince Gustaf Adolfs wife Princess Sibylla born 1908-1972.
Prince Carl born 1861-1951 and his wife Princess Ingeborg born 1878-1958,
his last children is Prince Carl born 1911-2003 of Bernadotte. He was married Kristine Rivelsrud.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question and I hope it's ok for me to post it here.

Currently I'm doing some research on the members of the Swedish Royal Family, mainly the King, the Queen and their children.

My question was if Queen Silvia had to convert to the Swedish "state church" and from which belief she was untill her marriage? Is there anything known about that or not?

Thanks a lot

Church

I think before her marriage Queen Silvia was raised a Catholic. I don't know if if was compulsory for her to have had to convert to the "state church" or not. Someone else here may be able to help you with this matter.

Gita said:
I think before her marriage Queen Silvia was raised a Catholic. I don't know if if was compulsory for her to have had to convert to the "state church" or not. Someone else here may be able to help you with this matter.
are you sure she was a catholic? I think I´ve read somewhere that her mother Alice was, but her father was a protestant (or what its called :) )

That is interesting Yennie. I know I read somewhere (a few years ago now) but I can't remember where that Queen Silvia was a Catholic.

ursulajohanna said:
That is true why she wore dark colours and not why I think it!
Thank you for the info I didn't know that. How long will they wear dark colors?

Svenska kyrkan

The Church of Sweden (Svenska kyrkan) was "State church" when Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf married. And Silvia had to convert to the "State church", an Evangelical Lutheran church. In year 2000 the State and the Swedish church separated. The Church of Sweden was founded. The Church of Sweden is a national church, open to everyone living in Sweden regardless of nationality.

Last edited:
Karisma said:
The Church of Sweden (Svenska kyrkan) was "State church" when Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf married. And Silvia had to convert to the "State church", an Evangelical Lutheran church. In year 2000 the State and the Swedish church separated. The Church of Sweden was founded. The Church of Sweden is a national church, open to everyone living in Sweden regardless of nationality.

So she definitly had to convert, I had thought that allready... But which belief did she had before her marriage. Was she Roman-Catholic or did she belong to another Prostestant church?

Fie said:
So she definitly had to convert, I had thought that allready... But which belief did she had before her marriage. Was she Roman-Catholic or did she belong to another Prostestant church?
I dont think she was a catholic, her mother was, but as her father was a protestant she was to raised as one

Yennie said:
I dont think she was a catholic, her mother was, but as her father was a protestant she was to raised as one

She wasn't a Catholic but converted from another form of protestantism just as Mary had to do in Denmark when she changed from Presbyterian to Luthern. It's all a bit silly really. You should convert to a religion out of conviction not for marraige. The Dutch have the right idea, Maxinina didn't have to convert when she married and what is the point of having freedom of religion if that freedom isn't given to members of the royal family?

Iain said:
She wasn't a Catholic but converted from another form of protestantism just as Mary had to do in Denmark when she changed from Presbyterian to Luthern. It's all a bit silly really. You should convert to a religion out of conviction not for marraige. The Dutch have the right idea, Maxinina didn't have to convert when she married and what is the point of having freedom of religion if that freedom isn't given to members of the royal family?

I don't think that Silvia (or Mary or Henrik for that matter) HAD to convert...but the churches in Sweden and Denmark are closely tied to the state and the royal families, so I think they chose to. I think they did it out of respect and as a symbol of their commitment to their new countries.

In the case of Silvia and Mary, I don't think that switching from one form of Protestanism to another is really that big of a switch...I think that most of the beliefs and practices are pretty similar. So I think it's more like switching churches than switching religions.

I do agree, though, that it was nice that Maxima was allowed to stay Catholic, although the Netherlands is home to about equal numbers of Catholics and Protestants, so that probably had something to do with it.

I know the SRF has family in Brazil, Germany, and basically extended family in all the European monarchies but does anybody know if the SRF has any close (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.) family living in the States? Besides Madeleine in NYC right now of course....

where can I find some more infromation about the funeral of Silvias Brother, I´m from Germany, and some of my relatives lives near Heidelberg, but they already haven´t any information for me. So thanks for some infromation.

Back
Top Bottom