General Swedish Royalty Facts, Discussion and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Oscar II was the last king to be crowned in Sweden, that was in 1873.

Swedish kings and queens have not worn their crowns since 1907. But as I mentioned, the regalia are still present at the most important state affairs. But not worn, only displayed to mark the royal dignity and the importance of the event.

If you visit the treasury at the Royal Palace in Stockholm, you can see a display of many King's, Queen's, Heir's and Ducal crowns. The last time a royal ducal crown was used in Sweden was when the Ducal Crown of Halland was placed on Prince Bertil's coffin as he was laying in state, and also for his funeral, in 1997.

lovisaulrika5ev.jpg

This is the present Queen's Crown, Queen Lovisa Ulrika's Crown from 1751.

Where-els, if any, will CP Victoria be traveling the year?

so Victoria wont have a Crown placed on her head interesting

Josefine said:
tell me more about this
she wore it on the official photos that were taken in 1976. And I think she has worn it at Nobel once to...

I dont have any photos of it though

Since Victoria will be the first Queen of Sweden (not through marriage) will the ceremony be any different then that of the King? (probably a stupped question, but I was just wondering :eek: )

GrandDuchess said:
This is a guide for those of you who haven’t (yet) attended a royal banquet/dinner (if this would be the case for someone :p ) in Sweden.

Speaking with The King and Queen:
The King prefers to stand, while The Queen often sits down while talking to guests. The King has always decided which guests he wishes to talk to (it can be ambassadors or other persons who can inform The King about interesting things). When The King or Queen asks, you are “fetched” by The King’s Aid-de-Camp or The Queen’s Lady-in-Waiting. You don’t begin to speak to The King on your own.
Would the same rules apply to Victoria (maybe Carl Philip, and Madeleine too)?

robby86 said:
Would the same rules apply to Victoria (maybe Carl Philip, and Madeleine too)?
No, I don't think so - they're family and the Royal Family, so these "rules" are merely for guests. But when they have dinners or parties, I think they try to talk with many different guests, and not with each other. And I guess this applies also to the royal children if they are in attendance.

robby86 said:
Since Victoria will be the first Queen of Sweden (not through marriage) will the ceremony be any different then that of the King? (probably a stupped question, but I was just wondering :eek: )
Yes, I think that the ceremony will be more modern and maybe also more "simple", how, I don't even want to begin to guess though.

But for example, the next monarch in Sweden will not take the Konungaförsäkran (translates to "the Kingly Assurance") in front of the Government like King Carl XVI did, since I think it was abolished with the change of the Constitution. The next monarch, and the following ones, will merely make a "Declaration of Office" in front of the Parliament.

But of course we don't know anything for sure, and we won't really know until the time for her has come to ascend the throne.

GrandDuchess said:
No, I don't think so - they're family and the Royal Family, so these "rules" are merely for guests. But when they have dinners or parties, I think they try to talk with many different guests, and not with each other. And I guess this applies also to the royal children if they are in attendance.
Actually, I meant would we (the guest) have to follow the same rules when talking to the royal children. :D

When were the royal children alowed to go to the noble ceramony? Was it when they turned 18, or something like that?

robby86 said:
When were the royal children alowed to go to the noble ceramony? Was it when they turned 18, or something like that?
Yes. Victoria attended Nobel for the first time in 1995 and Madeleine in 2000. Carl Philip I´m not sure of.... anyone?

Yennie said:
she wore it on the official photos that were taken in 1976. And I think she has worn it at Nobel once to...

I dont have any photos of it though

do we talk about the Braganca Diamond Tiara here or?

streets with royal conections
What would be the english translation be

Stockholm
Kungsgatan -
Drottninggatan -
Kungenskurva -
Drottning Kristinas väg
Drottning Sofias väg
Prins Bertils väg
Prins Carls väg
Prins Eugens väg
Prinsessan Ingeborgs väg
Prinsessan Märtas väg

In which thread can I see pictures of the Queen from the year 2001? I search pictures from the official terms and visits. Thanks for help in advance.

At 24th October 2002 were the queen in New York. There was a Gala to her World Childhood Foundation. In which thread can I see pictures of the event? Thanks for help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria

No official engagments for the Crown Princess now for the second week running. What is she doing? Is she on holiday or just time off?

Gita said:
No official engagments for the Crown Princess now for the second week running. What is she doing? Is she on holiday or just time off?

GrandDuchess doesn´t want discussion in this thread. So maybe a mod can move this and the former post later to this thread:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/general-swedish-royalty-discussion-questions-7374.html

The official explanation is, that Victoria needs now time off to read books on Sweden & its social systems.
In the face of the current news about a "non-engagement" in 2006, one can imagine, what I think about this :)mad: )

Gita, Lena: I moved your posts from the Calendar of Official Engagements thread. Please don't post any discussion in that thread as this one is used for any questions you may have regarding the Family, and the calendar is kept clear so members can see exactly what will be taking place in the future.

Thanks,
Danielle

ursulajohanna said:
In which thread can I see pictures of the Queen from the year 2001? I search pictures from the official terms and visits. Thanks for help in advance.

At 24th October 2002 were the queen in New York. There was a Gala to her World Childhood Foundation. In which thread can I see pictures of the event? Thanks for help in advance.
try do a search on www.corbis.com for "Silva sweden 2001" or something like that :)

GrandDuchess said:
No, they do not. The regalia are only present (on cushions) for the most important state affairs, but not worn like in the "good old days" (in some ways, I'd love to see them in full regalia again). I think Queen Elizabeth is the only (or one of few, not sure) monarch left in Europe who still wears the crown and regalia - and UK the only country where there are still traditional coronations.

I so wish they would have an old fashioned coronation for Crown Princess Victoria when it is her turn. She is the first female Royal in Sweden (and I think in all Royal Houses) to be Heiress Presumtive irregardless of her gender rather than Heiress Assumptive like Queen Elizabeth II was (as Princess Elizabeth) because of male primogenure laws.

Something so special imo deserves a Coronation for such a historical moment. I am actually going to write to the Swedish government (or whomever regulates such things). It means that much to me. :)

how tall are
Crown Princess Victoria and her siblings
What Ranks does Carl Philip have in the Swedish Armed Forces

Royal Fan said:
What Ranks does Carl Philip have in the Swedish Armed Forces
Prince Carl Philip holds the rank of Lieutenant, he was appointed as such in December 2004. Before that he held the rank of second lieutenant.

Will Princess Madeleine have to relinquish her style (HRH) if she marries someone of lesser status? I believe two of the King's sister's had to do that. Only one (Birgitta?) married another "HRH," so she kept that style as well.

Princess Madeleine's title

It is highly unlikely she will lose her HRH in this day and age.

Princess Désirée

HM King Carl XVI Gustaf sister, Princess Désirée, Baronesse Silfverschiöld, still have her title. Princess Désirée have been a "stand in" for HM Queen Silvia on a number of previous occasions representing the Royal family.

Last edited:
btsnyder said:
Will Princess Madeleine have to relinquish her style (HRH) if she marries someone of lesser status? I believe two of the King's sister's had to do that. Only one (Birgitta?) married another "HRH," so she kept that style as well.
The matter with the King's sisters is because it was another time and age back then. Women didn't have rights to the throne, and the Royal House laws and regulations were very strict. It was a part of the old Royal Court and society structure. Today we're living in a modern age and with a modernised Court and modern laws. So I highly doubt that any of the royal siblings would ever loose their styles or titles solely because of marriage (entered in the required way of course).

as its now there are two gala dinner in the begining of the year one in jannuary and one i think in march
what are the difference between them and was there more such gala dinners with the other kings

has there ever been twin in the royal family?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the first child was a twin who would get the throne?

The one born first I'm guessing. Technically, they would be the first born. I would feel bad for the other twin if they wished to be monarch. It would be like "I was two minutes behind!"

when the swedish royal got married in sweden was moust of them married in storkyrkan

Has there been an updated agenda for the Swedish RF on January 2006?

if i remember correctly they always attended the Sports Gala? how about this year?

Back
Top Bottom