General Swedish Royalty Facts, Discussion and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have the ongoing riots in Stockholm and area got close to the royal residences?

No, not really. Husby (and some other suburbs) are quite far from Stockholms slott and Haga. So no worries about that.

Today it was announced that Princess Madeleine is expecting her first child in March.

The swedish succession law says that the members in the line to the throne have to be raised in Sweden and as Protestant.

Does it also mean that the baby has to be born in Sweden? Or when they will move f. e. in two or three years the baby will be then included in the line?

And what about Christopher O'Neill, when they will move back to Sweden and he decided to take the swedish citizenship, could he be then a prince?

Today it was announced that Princess Madeleine is expecting her first child in March.

The swedish succession law says that the members in the line to the throne have to be raised in Sweden and as Protestant.

Does it also mean that the baby has to be born in Sweden? Or when they will move f. e. in two or three years the baby will be then included in the line?

And what about Christopher O'Neill, when they will move back to Sweden and he decided to take the swedish citizenship, could he be then a prince?

These issues were discussed at the swedish press already before the wedding. The king's solicitor Axel Calissendorff didn't want to comment this in any way. He didn't want to comment if the children will be princes of princesses either.

The Act of Succession says
"In accordance with the express provision of Article 2 of the Instrument of Government of 1809 that The King shall always profess the pure evangelical faith, as adopted and explained in the unaltered Confession of Augsburg and in the Resolution of the Uppsala Meeting of the year 1593, princes and princesses of the Royal House shall be brought up in that same faith and within the Realm. Any member of the Royal Family not professing this faith shall be excluded from all rights of succession."

Last edited:
The Act of Succession says
"In accordance with the express provision of Article 2 of the Instrument of Government of 1809 that The King shall always profess the pure evangelical faith, as adopted and explained in the unaltered Confession of Augsburg and in the Resolution of the Uppsala Meeting of the year 1593, princes and princesses of the Royal House shall be brought up in that same faith and within the Realm. Any member of the Royal Family not professing this faith shall be excluded from all rights of succession."

Where in the Act of Succession does it say everyone in line for the throne must be raised in Sweden? As pointed out earlier, that is a rather imprecise requirement- what exactly does it mean?

Where in the Act of Succession does it say everyone in line for the throne must be raised in Sweden? As pointed out earlier, that is a rather imprecise requirement- what exactly does it mean?
...within the Realm... means within the kingdom. It is quite clear what the requirement for someone in line of the throne is.

Article 4 of the Act says that prince and princesses of the Royal House shall be raised within the Realm.

If I'm reading it right, then it means that a prince or princess - i.e. any children of Victoria or Carl Philip - must be raised in Sweden, however as it is theoretically possible for non-princes/princesses to come to the throne, then it is not a requirement that they - i.e. the children of Madeleine - be raised in Sweden.

http://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Act_of_Succession_of_Sweden

...within the Realm... means within the kingdom. It is quite clear what the requirement for someone in line of the throne is.

Wow, I somehow totally missed that line when I read the original post- thanks for pointing it out!

To me, the phrase "brought up" is not entirely clear. I imagine different people could have different ideas of what it means, which could be problematic. Since the Act does not contain specific language, how will it be determined whether or not Madeleine's child meets the requirement?

Does anybody know much about Silvia's bracelets? She tends to wear the same ones a lot. :)

what a fabulous find!!! How exciting!! It looks like a seal that they used to drip way on a letter and seal it with that!!! I hope you find out who it belongs to. keep us posted. good luck.

To me the crown over the monogram looks similar to the heraldic crown used by swedish counts. Since Estonia was a part of Sweden between 1561-1721 it's not impossible that it has a swedish origin.

Bumping this in the hopes of someone familiar with Swedish monograms will read this!

Family trees

Does anyone know where a good website for Swedish royal family trees are? Ifs please do tell. I need the ones where it is the complete genealogy, not just Bernadotte.

Do some research on this forum first. There are already dozens of posts about the genealogy of the House of Sweden, including Holstein-Gottorp (Vasa).

Does anyone know where a good website for Swedish royal family trees are? Ifs please do tell. I need the ones where it is the complete genealogy, not just Bernadotte.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_of_Sweden_family_tree

That might not be as complete as you want (I can't view it fully on my phone), but wikipedia is surprisingly good with the family trees.

Do some research on this forum first. There are already dozens of posts about the genealogy of the House of Sweden, including Holstein-Gottorp (Vasa).

Is that really necessary? Sweden was just asking for help. You can chose to not help, but there's no need to be rude.

New, updated or canceled tradition during King Carl XVI Gustafs regency

I would love to hear what traditions he cept, updated or changed or even started.

The prince will be the last one to receive his own crown. It is the crown made for Prince Fredrik Adolf in 1771.

http://www.svenskdam.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/krona.png

Prins Alexander blir den sista på ett tag som får en egen krona | Kungligt | Expressen

Crown of Sweden's Heir Apparent (Karl X Gustav's Crown), 1650

Crown Prince Carl Philip, christening
Crown Princess Victoria, wedding

Prince Karl (XIII)'s Crown, 1771

Prince Carl Philip, wedding

Prince Fredrik Adolf's Crown, 1771

Prince Alexander, christening

Princess Sofia Albertina's Crown, 1771

Princess Victoria, christening
Princess Sofia, wedding

Princess Hedvig Elisabeth Charlotta's Crown, 1778

Princess Madeleine, christening and wedding
Prince Nicolas, christening

Prince Oscar (II)'s Crown, 1844

Princess Estelle, christening

Princess Eugénie's Crown, 1860

Princess Leonore, christening

Prince Wilhelm's Crown, 1902

Prince Daniel, wedding
Prince Oscar, christening

The Crown of Sweden's Heir Apparent

The Crown of Sweden's Heir Apparent (King Karl X Gustav's Crown of the Heir Apparent) was made in a great hurry when Queen Kristina was due to be crowned in 1650. It was only on 3 October 1650 — 17 days before the coronation — that the queen reminded the council that, according to tradition, the heir to the throne wore a special costume consisting of a cloak, a crown and a cap. Jürgen Dargeman only had just over a week to make a new crown for Karl (X) Gustav.
Because time was so short, Dargeman reused the crown that had been created for Queen Kristina the Elder for King Karl IX's coronation. He applied enamel decorations from the old crown and newly-mounted stones to a newly-made plain crown ring with eight triangular points.

Crowns of the princes and princesses

At Gustav III coronation in 1772, crowns were also made for the royal siblings. Thereby, Duke Fredrik Adolf as well as Princess Sofia Albertina both received crowns.

A fourth crown was added at a later date and belonged to Hedvig Elisabeth Charlotta, Duke Karl´s consort.
History - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
Royal Swedish Monogram

2017-12-14_12-38-47.png

Does anyone know this monogram? It's probably one of the royal swedish family... circa 1907

Thank you!!! :)

About the Purveyors to the Court, at court website:
Purveyor to the Court - Sveriges Kungahus

At the website of Hovleverantörer (mostly in Swedish)
King Gustaf VI Adolf had more than 1,100 official purveyors. Every town with self-respect had its own court photographer, jeweller and patissier.
The system was changed in 1973 when King Carl XVI Gustaf became the country’s monarch. The charge for a royal warrant was eliminated and H.M. the King set new, stricter, rules for the title of Purveyor to the Royal Court. This new approach resulted in the rejuvenation of this attractive title.
Purveyor to the Royal Court of Sweden – hovlev.se
Hovleverantörer – hovlev.se

I apologize if that question has already been asked somewhere else, but I recently saw a copy of a Swedish passport of Princess Leonore where she is named Leonore Lilian Maria Bernadotte O'Neill, without any royal title or style. Is that the norm for the passports of all Swedish royals ?

I would expect for example that Victoria's passport would say something like HRH Victoria Ingrid Alice Desirée, Crown Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Västergötland (as she is named on the Royal House's website), but does it simply say Victoria Ingrid Alice Desirée Bernadotte instead ?

Thanks for commenting.

Last edited:
I apologize if that question has already been asked somewhere else, but I recently saw a copy of a Swedish passport of Princess Leonore where she is named Leonore Lilian Maria Bernadotte O'Neill, without any royal title or style. Is that the norm for the passports of all Swedish royals ?

I would expect for example that Victoria's passport would say something like HRH Victoria Ingrid Alice Desirée, Crown Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Västergötland (as she is named on the Royal House's website), but does it simply say Victoria Ingrid Alice Desirée Bernadotte instead ?

Thanks for commenting.

I highly suspect that the passport you saw was the one made by the tabloid Expressen as an example of what they imagined Lenore's passport would look like so we can't be sure what royal passports actually look like. According to the article Margaretha Thorgren at the Royal Press Office says that The Royal Family only uses surnames in their passports but nowhere else.
Another article from the time of the birth of Estelle states that the Tax Office, who handles the registration of births and names in Sweden, was in a bit of a conundrum because they're by law obligated to register a child with its mother's surname but as a royal Victoria doesn't have a surname.
I'm sorry I can't answer your question about titles in the passport.

Last edited:

Thanks for commenting.

And here is that Expressen's article with the image of Leonore's passport, how Expressen thought it would look like, because Madeleine and Chris had written to the application of a diplomatic passport Bernadotte O'Neill as family name. But according to the swedish Name Law, Bernadotte would then be middle name and O'Neill family name.
Leonore får eget pass – reser hem för dopet _ Nyheter _ Expressen

I haven't seen a photo of any of the passports of the royal family.

Last edited:
And here is that Expressen's article with the image of Leonore's passport, how Expressen thought it would look like, because Madeleine and Chris had written to the application of a diplomatic passport Bernadotte O'Neill as family name. But according to the swedish Name Law, Bernadotte would then be middle name and O'Neill family name.
Leonore får eget pass – reser hem för dopet _ Nyheter _ Expressen

I haven't seen a photo of any of the passports of the royal family.

Thanks LadyFinn and JR76! That was indeed the photo I had seen. I didn't realize it was how Expressen imagined her passport would look like rather than the actual passport.

Is there any photo of the royals' national ID documents perhaps ? Or any other official document like a marriage certificate or birth certificate where we can see how they are officially named in Sweden ?

Last edited:
:previous:

This is an image of Prince Nicolas' birth certificate, albeit prior to registration of his given name, Nicolas Paul Gustaf.
https://x.cdn-expressen.se/images/a7/ac/a7acf9eabe914dfa9fda323d97afe8c1/annan/680.jpg
Prinsessan Madeleine och Chris O'Neills prins har fått personnummer | Kungligt | Expressen

"Name: Bernadotte,
[…]
Legal guardians:
[…]
Name: O'Neill, Christopher Paul
[…]
Name: *, Madeleine Thérése Amelie Josephine"

Adding to what was posted by JR76 and LadyFinn, there have been clear inconsistencies in the registrations of the Royal House. An asterisk was entered in the column which the surname should occupy in Princess Estelle's registry, but, afterwards, her cousin Prince Nicolas was registered as "Bernadotte".

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...mes-and-pronunciation-1589-4.html#post1869061
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...weden-june-15-2015-a-38766-7.html#post1792531

:previous:

This is an image of Prince Nicolas' birth certificate, albeit prior to registration of his given name, Nicolas Paul Gustaf.
https://x.cdn-expressen.se/images/a7/ac/a7acf9eabe914dfa9fda323d97afe8c1/annan/680.jpg
Prinsessan Madeleine och Chris O'Neills prins har fått personnummer | Kungligt | Expressen

"Name: Bernadotte,
[…]
Legal guardians:
[…]
Name: O'Neill, Christopher Paul
[…]
Name: *, Madeleine Thérése Amelie Josephine"

Adding to what was posted by JR76 and LadyFinn, there have been clear inconsistencies in the registrations of the Royal House. An asterisk was entered in the column which the surname should occupy in Princess Estelle's registry, but, afterwards, her cousin Prince Nicolas was registered as "Bernadotte".

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...mes-and-pronunciation-1589-4.html#post1869061
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...weden-june-15-2015-a-38766-7.html#post1792531

From that birth certificate, I would conclude that:

1) Prince Nicolas' surname is Bernadotte, rather than Bernadotte O'Neill ;

2) Princess Madeleine doesn't use a surname as none was entered in the birth certificate (an asterisk was used instead where the surname should be);

3) Unlike their counterparts in the Netherlands, Belgium, the UK, etc., Swedish royals are not referred to by titles (like prince and duke) or styles (like HRH) in Swedish documents (at least Nicolas and Madeleine were not in that particular document).

It is really very confusing. I suppose that the titles of King (or Queen) and "prince or princess of the Royal House" are officially recognized in Sweden as they are explicitly mentioned in the Fundamental Laws of the Realm, namely the Instrument of Government or the Act of Succession. However, the titles and styles that are used by the Royal Court to refer to the royals like HRH, Crown Prince/Princess, Prince/Princess of Sweden, or Duke/Duchess of [xxx] seem to be for internal use of the Royal Court only, although the press and other media also refer to the royals by those same titles. Again, that is very different from the practice in other monarchies.

Last edited:
Expressen's royal expert Karin Lennmor, and Monica Bonde, the daughter of count Carl Johan Bernadotte, have visited the Royal Cemetery at Karlsborg in Haga. They visited the cemetery on 31st October, Count Carl Johan's birthday.

The royal family's unknown cemetery at Haga
Here, on cape of Karlsborg at Haga Park, is the royal family's unknown cemetery.
In the season premiere of Expressen TV's "Kungafamiljen", the viewers are taken to one of the family's holiest places, which is important for Crown Princess Victoria.
The royal cemetery on cape of Karlsborg at Haga Park.
- It is one of Stockholm's most unknown places. I don't think there are many who know that it exists at all, says Karin Lennmor to Program host Ylva Johansson.
Only the royal family has the key to the gates - and Monica Bonde has a key.
In the cemetery are buried 14 royals, including her father, Count Carl Johan Bernadotte.
- I feel reverence and gratitude and love, of course. Dad meant a lot to me and my brother and our children, says Monica Bonde.
The cemetery was inaugurated in 1922 at the request of Crown Princess Margareta, King Carl Gustaf's grandmother, who had died two years earlier at the age of 38.

At the video Monica says that she visits the cemetery always on her father's birthday and death day, lays flowers to his grave. Lennmor says that your father's wife Gunnila is the last person buried here. Yes, two years ago, says Monica. Lennmor tells to program host Ylva Johansson, that she went in to the cemetery with Monica Bonde. That there is a private cemetery for the royal family is quite exciting. The graves are large, and there was six grave lanterns at every grave, ready for the All Saints' Day. Karin Lennmor says that crown princess Victoria lives very close to the cemetery and she has heard that Victoria walks to the cemetery with her children. It's part of the heritage she wants to take further, to show respect to her ancestors and tell about the family members to her children. She goes to the cemetery quite often.
Kungafamiljens okända begravningsplats i Haga

Last edited:
As things stand, Princess Madeleine's children probably will not work for the monarchy because of being raised overseas. But following the precedent of the children of Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg and the son of Prince Wilhelm, would the sons of Prince Carl Philip work for the monarchy?

Simply put, did Princesses Margaretha, Märtha, and Astrid, their brother Prince Carl, and Prince Lennart work for the monarchy up to the time of their marriages?

Back
Top Bottom