General Swedish Royalty Facts, Discussion and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited by a moderator:
The court has put the highlights of the royal family 2011 to the website
Årets höjdpunkter 2011 - Sveriges Kungahus

Jenny Alexandersson, who writes for Aftonbladet and before that she worked for Svensk Damtidning, has answered to the questions of Aftonbladet about the royal family. Alexandersson has followed the royal family for a long time. Here is the first part of her answers:
Svar på de första frågorna! « Hovbloggen
Google translation

The owners of the Sweden's leading hair salon chain Bjorn Axén, Johan Hellström and Peter Hägelstam visited in Helsinki yesterday. The pair is also known as the trusted hairdressed of the Swedish royal court. They gave an interview to Iltalehti.

"Princesses create trends"

The hair styles of Silvia, Victoria and Madeleine are created in the capable hands of Johan Hellström and Peter Hägelstam.
- Working for the court is good for our reputation.
They are constantly on alert for the needs from the court.
- The royal ladies use the services of hairdresses every week, but in the morning they comb their own hair, Peter laughs.
Hellström says that the hair style of queen Silvia and Victoria and Madeleine, is carefully thought out, elegant but not ostentatious. They follow trends, but also create trends by their own example.

Peter Hägelstam started working with the royal family in the 1980s, when he began to work for queen Silvia.
- Silvia brought to the traditional look of the monarchy new style with her courage to experiment with different hairstyles. She served as a kind of an example and as a pioneer who inspired royal women in other countries.

To work for the royal house has its own challenges and pressures. Invitation to the service can happen at any time, sometimes at a very short notice.
- It may happen that when we get an invitation we do not know at all what kind of occasion it is and what kind of outfit the royal lady is wearing. Then you have to act fast and rely on your own experience and professionalism. The decision of an appropriate hair style may have to be done in seconds, Johan Hellström says.

A certain elegance is also reflected to the male members of the monarchy. King Carl Gustaf is remembered from some trendy looks from his youth, Daniel maintains his more subdued style.
- Daniel favors the hair style that suits to every occasion.
IL tapasi Ruotsin hovikampaajat: "Prinsessat luovat trendejä" | Kuninkaalliset | Iltalehti.fi

Confidence in the royal family is at it's lowest figure since the polls began in 1995, according SVT.se.
Meanwhile, Victoria is more popular than ever.
- Victoria receives the highest popularity value SOM institute has ever measured, says Lennart Nilsson from University of Gothenburg.
Rekordlågt förtroende för Sveriges kungahus | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation

Lägsta siffran någonsin - rapport | svt.se
Google translation

The annual report from the year 2011 of the swedish royal court
https://www.kungahuset.se/download/18.4a3da1313658e148c3118f/verksamhetsberattelsen2011.pdf

When Estelle gets a little sibling or when Carl Philip and Madeleine get children, will there be a salute shooting for the babies?

The king wants Victoria to inherit art treasure

The Art treasure collection was supposed to be inherited by Carl Philip, but the king wants it to go to Victoria instead.
The government is expected to act on the matter soon.
- The property has a great historical and national interest and it is important that the collection follows the throne, says royal solicitor Axel Calissendorff to Expressen.se.

The art treasure consists of a number of centuries-old works of mainly Italian champions. The paintings are part of the so-called Galliera collection originally from the Emperor Napoleon, and has been inherited by the firstborn sons of the kingdom, according to the express wishes of Oscar I's wife Queen Josefina.

More recently, however, the king made a request that the regulations would be amended to include female heirs could inherit the art.
According to the application Carl Philip, to whom the inheritance would have gone to, has consented to that the order changed.
Kungen vill att Victoria ska få ärva konstskatt | Nyheter | Expressen
Google translation

Last edited:
:previous:
While this is probably a bit unfair towards Carl Philip, I do agree with the King that an art collection of such significance should be inseparable from the Crown.

Speaking of inheritance, i know that Prince Carl Philip already inherited the Ökenäs farm and some other places are rumored to become his in the future, so i was wondering if you know what will become of CP Victoria and of Princess Madeleine?
Does CP Victoria own something else than Haga Palace?

Speaking of inheritance, i know that Prince Carl Philip already inherited the Ökenäs farm and some other places are rumored to become his in the future, so i was wondering if you know what will become of CP Victoria and of Princess Madeleine?
Does CP Victoria own something else than Haga Palace?

Victoria doesn't own Haga Palace. After standing empty for a long period, Gustaf VI Adolf granted use of the palace to the Swedish government for foreign guests. In 2009, the government transferred the right of disposal back to H.M. The King, in order to prepare a home for The Crown Princess Couple.
Haga Palace - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

That is right, my mistake! thank you
Anything else?

I'm sure she's well provided for financially but Madeleine seems to be left out in the big inheritances.

Maybe i am wrong, but i would suppose that the majority of the royal palaces will stay linked to the Crown and so to Crown Princess Victoria.
However, are the royal palaces of the SRF or of the state?
I wonder who will stay in Drottingholm when, hopefully many years from now, the king and queen pass away.

Maybe i am wrong, but i would suppose that the majority of the royal palaces will stay linked to the Crown and so to Crown Princess Victoria.
I wonder who will stay in Drottingholm when, hopefully many years from now, the king and queen pass away.

When Victoria and Daniel moved to the Haga Palace, it was written at the press that the king thinks that they might stay there even after Victoria becomes Queen. The king owns Solliden, I don't know if he owns any other castle, he leases the Stenhammar estate and castle from the swedish state.The extensive property went to the Swedish government in 1903 in accordance with Anders Robert von Kraemer's will. The will orders that the main building is leased to a male representant from Bernadotte family.
The history of Stenhammar
http://www.stenhammarsgods.se/historia.asp
Google translation

Last edited:
Only Stenhammar and Solliden Palace are private property of the monarch.
The ownership of the other Palaces (there are others like Tullgarn, Rosendal, Strömsholm etc.) is actually a complicated matter - on one hand, they are state property, on the other, they are at the disposal of the royal family and factually, most of their interior from furniture to art belongs again to the monarch and the royal family's foundations.
As far as Victoria and family are concerned:
In an interview last year, King Carl Gustaf said that they definitely plan to stay at Haga Palace and not move to Drottningholm one day after he passes away.

Thank you for both of your responses!
I understand better now, even though it seems such a complicated matter.
I had thought that Victoria and her family were to stay in Haga, that's why i was wondering about drottingholm.

:previous:
While this is probably a bit unfair towards Carl Philip, I do agree with the King that an art collection of such significance should be inseparable from the Crown.
I doubt that queen Joséphine meant anything else than that the future monarch would inherit the collection, and that the paintings would stay in the Swedish royal family, even if she worded her will in an unusual manner. I would think that the wording "firstborn son of the king" prevented the collection to end up in Denmark at the death of Carl XV, who only had a daughter, I would guess that the collection instead went to the next "firstborn son of the king", the future Gustaf V, the nephew of Carl XV.

Swedish National Dress

I was looking at pics from Princess Victoria's birthday celebrations and I was wondering why Princess Madeleine was not in national dress but Queen Silvia and Princess Victoria were? It's something I've wanted to know for a while, it might have been discussed before but I'm new, so if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it a great deal.

I was looking at pics from Princess Victoria's birthday celebrations and I was wondering why Princess Madeleine was not in national dress but Queen Silvia and Princess Victoria were? It's something I've wanted to know for a while, it might have been discussed before but I'm new, so if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it a great deal.

I have never seen Madeleine wear a national dress at Victoria's birthday, I don't know the reason to it. She had a national dress in the morning of the national day when she opened the palace gates with her brother, and she wore "Sverigedräkten" in Skansen at the same day.

The royal family does not wear national dress on CP Victoria's birthday - that's worn on National Day -, but the traditional regional dress of the island of Öland, where the celebration takes place.
Of course Princess Madeleine wore the Öland dress as a girl, but stopped doing so as a young woman, following Princess Lilian's example, who never wore any of these costumes.

Last edited:
Boris said:
The royal family does not wear national dress on CP Victoria's birthday - that's worn on National Day -, but the traditional regional dress of the island of Öland, where the celebration takes place.
Of course Princess Madeleine wore the Öland dress as a girl, but stopped doing so as a young woman, following Princess Lilian's example, who never wore any of these costumes.

Thank you so much for answering my question.

Of course Princess Madeleine wore the Öland dress as a girl, but stopped doing so as a young woman
It could be that her Öland dress is too small now and she haven't had a new one done, to be worn just once a year.

Hello I'm new to this blog and I was not sure if there was an existing thread about this, so I thought I'd create a new one.

Why doesn't the king wear this uniform anymore?1975SwedishSV-QueenElizabethIIKingCarlXVIGustafandPCPhilip.jpg photo by Mr_PeterMichael | Photobucket

The one he wears now seems so much plainer in comparison to this one.

It's not a swedish military uniform. It's a british. The picture is from the State visit to United Kingdom in 1975. King Carl Gustaf is an honorary admiral in the UK Royal Navy.
You can see Prince Philip wearing the same uniform.

Last edited:
Have the ongoing riots in Stockholm and area got close to the royal residences?

Last edited:
Now that I think about it -perhaps the order placed on/near HM Queen Alexandra's coffin is one of the Greek royal orders? Is there a balkin order expert around on these boards somewhere?

Now that I think about it -perhaps the order placed on/near HM Queen Alexandra's coffin is one of the Greek royal orders? Is there a balkin order expert around on these boards somewhere?

I think you're posting in the wrong thread by accident :)

Back
Top Bottom