General Swedish Royalty Facts, Discussion and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say that they recieved them when they turned 18, this is only because other royals get them at that age.

Last edited:

Ah, I see. I wondered if they picked them to suit the 'personalities' of each sibling! Are the crowns also different?

Victora's arms has a "Crown Princely" crown, the other two have "Ducal" crowns.

Does anyone know if the royal family has its own youtube channel like the dutch do?

What is the relationship between HM the king of Sweden and the late count (RIP).

Where the dynastic name come from

Last edited by a moderator:
Grandduchess24 said:
What is the relationship between HM the king of Sweden and the late count (RIP).

Where the dynastic name come from

Which Count?The King's uncle Carl Johan Bernadotte is I think the King's closest relative who is a count and I think he's still alive.

The dynastic name came from Jean Baptiste Bernadotte who was adopted as heir by a childless Swedish King. He was a general(marshall?) in Napolean's army.

Count Carl Johan is still alive. He was born in 1916, the youngest child. His older sister was Queen Ingrid of Denmark. He's the uncle of the King of Sweden. As far as the family name, you're dead on, Esmerelda. :)

Does anyone know if Silvia had to convert to a religion(I don't know what the SRF's religion is.)before her marriage?

Does anyone know if Silvia had to convert to a religion(I don't know what the SRF's religion is.)before her marriage?
According to the Act of Succession, the members of SRF have to belong to Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Sweden. So I think she had to convert to that religion before her marriage to Carl Gustaf.

According to the Act of Succession, the members of SRF have to belong to Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Sweden. So I think she had to convert to that religion before her marriage to Carl Gustaf.

Queen Silvia was not a Catholic Christian before she married King Carl-Gustav, when she was a Protestant. It is another practice of the "same faith". In Sweden, the Royal Family to be associated Christian Protestants.

(Evangelical-Lutheran-of German Luthertum - is a subset of Christianity specializations within Protestantism and occurred at the Reformation as a result of Martin Luther and his followers - including Philipp Melanchthon - thoughts and activities).

Last edited:
I'm sure you meant to say 'Queen Silvia was not a Catholic' before she married the King, but that she was a Protestant.
Her Brazilian mother Alice de Toledo was Catholic.

It's just the monarch and the princes and princesses who can inherit the throne who have to belong to the Evangelical-Lutheran Church. When it comes to royal spouses there are no demand that they have to be members, in fact there have been two Catholic queens of Sweden, Desirée Clary and Josefina of Leuchtenberg.

Sweden has freedom of religion

According to the order of succession are not head of state of freedom of religion. The king and the royal children must adhere to the "pure Christianity". The King as head of state must be professing Protestant, otherwise he loses his right to the throne. Crown Princess Victoria can´t, for constitutional reasons, have a freely made choice of religion, but her husband, Prince Daniel may belong to any religion he wants. Any child must however, brought up in the Christian faith. But the royal family's newest member, Prince Daniel, can choose what religion he wants. However, he must accept that the couple any children brought up in the Christian faith. The rule does not apply to marriage princes, since they have no right of succession. Prince Daniel would thus, hypothetically, to profess any faith whatsoever.

Last edited:
How "no religion"? Victoria is openly atheist?

Crown Princess Victoria has no religion,
I'm quite certain that Karisma meant to say the exact opposite:
Crown Princess Victoria has no Freedom of Religion but has to be a member of the Lutheran Church, while her husband doesn't have to be a Lutheran.
Very confusing wording.

That sounds ok. Monarchy is primarily a form of government, and the word means "single ruler.

Royal children must be christians

How "no religion"? Victoria is openly atheist?

Thank You Boris for explaning if I was uncleare. I wrore also in the same post. "The king and the royal children must adhere to the "pure Christianity".

I think that the SRF is quite religious, queen Silvia have published/given her name to a prayer book and there is a prayer she wrote herself when she was eleven years old in it. It's also said that the children was brought up with a bedtime prayer while they were young.

I was wondering what would happen if Victoria becomes queen and - heaven forbid - dies BEFORE her oldest child is of age. Who would be the legal guardian of the child if Vic and Daniel are no longer alive as well as Silvia and Carl-Gustaf? And who would reign on behalf of the child until he/she is 18 ??? Probably Prince Carl Philip or am I wrong in assuming this ???

Kit said:
I was wondering what would happen if Victoria becomes queen and - heaven forbid - dies BEFORE her oldest child is of age. Who would be the legal guardian of the child if Vic and Daniel are no longer alive as well as Silvia and Carl-Gustaf? And who would reign on behalf of the child until he/she is 18 ??? Probably Prince Carl Philip or am I wrong in assuming this ???

I think this was discussed in an older thread but I can't find it. My guess would be that PCP will be Regent until the child is of age and possibly the legal guardian as well if the parents and grandparents are dead. Of course if the child is old enough and decided they want to live with someone else e.g paternal grandparents or Princess Madeleine, I can't imagine the government forbidding that as long as their appropriate education continues, which won't really start till 18 anyway. The scenario is quite morbid, though, and I'm sure it wont arise.

Hypothesis

There is always a little philosophy when thinking about hypotheses. If such a disaster that you write about would occur would probably Carl-Philip become monarch if he still exists as a potential candidate in the succession.

While there is a living child of Victoria, C-P wouldn't become King - maybe Regent ... or a "kronrat" would take over, till mayoritiy ... the child could be declared grown up with 16.

Did Silvia ever go to college?

she attended the Sprachen&Dolmetscher Institut in Munich. It's a "fachakademie" for interpreters.

Back
Top Bottom