General Swedish Royalty Facts, Discussion and Questions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
The royal House of Sweden has changed five times through their long history as a kingdom and monarchy. Here are the royal houses of Sweden going by chrological order.
1.House of Vasa (1523--1654)
2.House of Palalinate-Zweibrucken (1655--1741)
3. House of Hesse (1742--!771)

Continue with royal House of Sweden
4.House of Holstein-Gottrop (1772--!818)
5.House of Bernadotte (1818--) The current royal House of Sweden

Last edited by a moderator:
there is an article today in the dutch newspaper de telegraaf about the request of the king for a greater yearly income. They go on to say how very wealthy he is. I wonder if his request will be granted.

I read the same article Susan. The King isn't that wealthy IMHO, 22 million euros according to the newspaper, which isn't to extravagant for a monarch. The article said that the King receives 10 mln euiros a year, with which he has to pay everything.

I believe he claimed he needed the money for his children, as they were contributing but not getting financially rewarded for it. Does CP Victoria receive a dotation from the state?

Anyway, maybe the King is getting nervous with 3 expensive weddings coming up ;)

I heard that Victoria gets $25000 thousand US Dollars a month. I don't know if that is true.

Marengo said:
I read the same article Susan. The King isn't that wealthy IMHO, 22 million euros according to the newspaper, which isn't to extravagant for a monarch. The article said that the King receives 10 mln euiros a year, with which he has to pay everything.

I believe he claimed he needed the money for his children, as they were contributing but not getting financially rewarded for it. Does CP Victoria receive a dotation from the state?

Anyway, maybe the King is getting nervous with 3 expensive weddings coming up ;)

I am shocked about the 22 million euros. I thought this family had like 200 or 300 million.

Well compared to the list of richest people in Sweden yes, the King is rather "poor", but then again his fortune isn't small either and since the monarch's expenses is paid for by the state he doesn't need to be very much richer. Of course he might like to be, and I guess they're working on making long-term investments, but it's not life important really. Also, the King doesn't only own his investment fortune, he also has assets which are not in money, like real estate, collections of art, furniture, silver, porcelain, jewellery etc etc. If those would ever be sold (god forbid, and some are also in trusts that can't be broken) then his fortune would increase.

Crown Princess Victoria does not get her own state apanage. But HRH The Crown Princess Household, which also works for Princess Madeleine and Prince Carl Philip, gets a sum from the King's apanage.

So with 10 million everything is covered? That is a rather cheap deal for the Swedes!
But is Victoria the only CP in Europe who does not receive a dotation from the state directly? I know that the Duke of Brabant and the Prince of Orange receive money (and their spouses too), but I am not to sure about the others.

I would take this recent information with a grain of salt.
The King has reportedly set up very nice trust funds for each of his children. Most of the Bernadotte jewelry is in trust funds, which effectively means that The King still owns them but doesn't have to pay income/property tax.
The Queen has next to no personal fortune - again, saving taxes.
Both the Solliden and Stenhammar castles are owned by the King privately.
I just wonder if all of this, including artwork, paintings, furniture etc. is really part of the 'petty' sum of the supposed 22 million Euro (which isn't chicken feed either).
If I remember correctly, I read an article a few years go which pointed out that the King is a very shrewd investor in stocks... so I am really sceptical if this assessment of his personal fortune is correct.

Boris said:
I would take this recent information with a grain of salt.
The King has reportedly set up very nice trust funds for each of his children. Most of the Bernadotte jewelry is in trust funds, which effectively means that The King still owns them but doesn't have to pay income/property tax.
The Queen has next to no personal fortune - again, saving taxes.
Both the Solliden and Stenhammar castles are owned by the King privately.
I just wonder if all of this, including artwork, paintings, furniture etc. is really part of the 'petty' sum of the supposed 22 million Euro (which isn't chicken feed either).
If I remember correctly, I read an article a few years go which pointed out that the King is a very shrewd investor in stocks... so I am really sceptical if this assessment of his personal fortune is correct.
The fortune estimates that the media publishes is only what they can find in public tax reports, meaning personal income and assessed private fortune. This means merely the assets that are in the form of stocks and bonds etc, nothing more. So yes Boris, this is far from the whole picture, as I also tried to explain below.

Now the King doesn't personally own Stenhammar, it's in his right of use via a testament that stipulates that a Swedish heir prince must use it and the King took it over after Prince Vilhelm. I would personally say that the King is a very rich man if one looks at the whole picture, which means everything he owns but which we really don't know much about (and no one could really estimate a value). And yes, the royal children all have their private funds set up when they were young so he gave some of his investment money to them (Prince Carl Philip also owns the villa that Princess Lilian resides in, which he inherited after Prince Bertil, plus a home in Värmland, his duchy).

Since everyone seems so fascinated by wealth and money, here are some things which are not counted in the King's wealth estimations circulated in the media:

* Collections of arts, furniture, silver, porcelain, jewellery inherited from previous royals from Sweden and other countries and also personal purchases (which one can't really put an estimate on, and I guess no one but the King and perhaps some close staff knows how much and what he owns)

* Private estates (Solliden Palace, Villa Mirage, holiday cottages in Storlien and Tärnaby)

* Real estate (buildings) plus the holding companies that controlls the business parts

* An exclusive car collection, boats

Marengo said:
So with 10 million everything is covered? That is a rather cheap deal for the Swedes!
Well the monarchies in Sweden, Denmark and Norway all receive comparable apanages from their states, so if you think it's cheap then all of the Scandinavian monarchies are cheap :)

I think that our King and his family should get more money. Especially the requests for higher appropriations to increase security (comparable to the ones of Parliament and Government) at the Royal Palaces and higher appropriations for maintenance of the palaces (all of ours cultural heritage) should be passed by Government and Parliament. To me those are two important things, but there is also a limit somewhere.

Does anyone know the magazine "Queen"?

I've never heard of it before, but it seems to be a Swedish royal magazine. Is it good?

Swedish royal protocool

One woman have to write a seminary work about the protocool of Swedish royal family. She asked me if I knew someone who could help her or if I knew any web page etc... I really donť know where should she find the informations, so is there someone who is interested in the swedish royal protocool or someone who new something about it or someone who new about any pages or books?? WEll she´s Czech like me, so there arenť many books about royals...

I read in the newspaper that some member of the Riksdag (parlament) had handed in an proposal to activate the royal orders for Swedish citizens - something that i would very much like them to do. I hope that the riksdag will vote yes to this but i´m guessing no... :sad:

King and Czech Republic

I read that Swedish king really likes Czech historical monuments (in Prague, town center in Telc,...). Is it true? And do you know when he visited Czech republic (probably not only one time)? I would like to find some informations about his visits (or visits of any members of Swedesh Royal Family) in my country. Can anyone help me?

I read that Swedish king really likes Czech historical monuments (in Prague, town center in Telc,...). Is it true? And do you know when he visited Czech republic (probably not only one time)? I would like to find some informations about his visits (or visits of any members of Swedesh Royal Family) in my country. Can anyone help me?

The royal couple went to Czech Republic in 1995.
Here is a link with information:
1990-1999 - Kungahuset [NS4 version]

I didn't know more about the swedish royal family and CR.

I have read a news. the queen family had relationship to the Nazi. Does anyone have details.

This is a guide for those of you who haven’t (yet) attended a royal banquet/dinner (if this would be the case for someone :p ) in Sweden.

To attend a Royal Banquet or Dinner in Sweden:

*snip*

Wow, very interesting. Thank you for posting it.

I have seen a video where Queen Silvia confirmed it. She told that her dad's involvment was not "active".

I went back and saw some old blogs about what to expect if you attended a royal banquet or dinner in Sweden. Sounds very interesting. I would imagine the dress code would be formal attire. This information would be very helpful to someone who is invited to such an event and has never attended such an event.

I have seen a video where Queen Silvia confirmed it. She told that her dad's involvment was not "active".
He was a member of the party and he joined before they came to power, but he wasn't a party functionar or toke any active part in the war. He was a buiness man and probably profited by his party membership but that seems to be all.

He was a member of the party and he joined before they came to power, but he wasn't a party functionar or toke any active part in the war. He was a buiness man and probably profited by his party membership but that seems to be all.

As I have learned in my history classes and as I have learned from my grandparents there was no chance to escape the party if you want to be sure that you can care for yourself and your family. If you decide to fight against the regime you had no chance. You lost your job or you had no chance to make career. As far as I know Walther Sommerlath had to care for three children (plus Silvia in 1943) and his wife. <so maybe there was no other chance for him.

Silvia❦CarlGustaf;1123281 said:
As I have learned in my history classes and as I have learned from my grandparents there was no chance to escape the party if you want to be sure that you can care for yourself and your family. ...
Correct. But he joined the party before they came into power and thus before it was needed. If he done it after they got to power it would pretty much be a non-issue.

Correct. But he joined the party before they came into power and thus before it was needed. If he done it after they got to power it would pretty much be a non-issue.

I know that he had joined the party before they came into power. They got so many members because of their propaganda (the right word??). They put old values on their agenda which were missed since the German Empire was resolved in 1918. They put church on a very high level and this old institution had a more higher value in those days than today. As I have learned and as I was told by many older people it wasn't possible to foresee how they will use the church and many other things to synchronize all parts of official life in Germany in the end of the 1920's. SO all in all at first sight this new party in the 1920 didn't show all the bad characteristics which led into this big misery in the end of the 1930's starting in 1933. Unfortunately many people were dazzled by the party program in the beginning and than there was no opportunity to get out of this machinery. I think that many of us had also joined the party when we had lived in the 1920. They arranged new jobs and put the spotlight on old values in an time of desperation and aimlessness caused by political changes and other things.

Silvia❦CarlGustaf;1123676 said:
I know that he had joined the party before they came into power. They got so many members because of their propaganda (the right word??). They put old values on their agenda which were missed since the German Empire was resolved in 1918. They put church on a very high level and this old institution had a more higher value in those days than today. As I have learned and as I was told by many older people it wasn't possible to foresee how they will use the church and many other things to synchronize all parts of official life in Germany in the end of the 1920's. SO all in all at first sight this new party in the 1920 didn't show all the bad characteristics which led into this big misery in the end of the 1930's starting in 1933. Unfortunately many people were dazzled by the party program in the beginning and than there was no opportunity to get out of this machinery. I think that many of us had also joined the party when we had lived in the 1920. They arranged new jobs and put the spotlight on old values in an time of desperation and aimlessness caused by political changes and other things.

For example in my country lived many Germans on border with Germany and they wanted be a part of Germany, they liked Hitler and his party simply because they started solve problems which economic crise had caused . And when it happened - Treaty of Mnichov gave this part of Czechoslovakia to Hitler they were not happy (some of them was, but majority not) because they had thought something little bit different about how the situation will look and it didnť look how they had wanted. But they could not change it.
So I think the same feelings should be in Germany and the same could feel him. He was a partisan, a "fan" of this party because he saw that this party do something good for state economy or have a good programme for the state...he couldnť imagine when he became a partisan that in future this party will do what it did...

In bad economic times an extremist leader often emerges. This person tells you that if you trust in him he will solve all the economic woes and other problems. He's good at deception. Once he gets into power and is comfortable, then his true colors are shown. He uses children and young adults to further his cause.

I took a class in college called the Rise and Fall of Nazi Germany. Although it was a history class, one of the focuses on the class was how easily people can be manipulated by someone. We saw a film of a Nazi Youth Rally. There was no subtitles so a retired German Professor who had spoken to our class the day before translated. The repetitive music got on everyone's nerves. The speeches were like pep rallies (getting everyone to wind up). Most of the people on the film were teens and young children. The film had been shortened to 2 hours but after 45 minutes, everyone in the class was bored. The point of the film was to show how easily people can be manipulated especially children and young adults.

The retired German Professor grew up in Germany during that time period (he was a child). His father went to prison for questioning Hilter's policies. His father was beaten and tortured in prison. He was imprisoned for many years. He finally was released after the war. He was lucky to still be alive as many people were executed for questioning Hilter's authority.

Question about the Royal Gardeners

I am searching for information about my great-great grandfather. He was a Gardener for the King of Sweden. I don't have a time line other then my great-great grandfather's name is John G. Peterson - born June 6th, 1830.

He was well educated and was a horticulterist for the Kings Palace.

Not sure if anyone can help point me in the right direction but I thought I would try.

Thank you,

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom