The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2015, 08:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post

Btw I think that mr. Obama's daughters are protected too even the eldest daughter, who, as I have heard, goes to college and does not live at the White House
Malia Obama turned 17 on July 4th - she's still in high school and lives at the White House.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:12 AM
Serene Highness

OK But I am convinced that she will be protected in case she will leave the White House.
A pity we have to live in this kind of world

Old 09-22-2015, 02:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
OK But I am convinced that she will be protected in case she will leave the White House.
A pity we have to this in this world

Children of a US president are protected by the Secret Service for as long as their parent remain in office though lately both Clinton and Bush II signed laws that extended their daughters protection for a few years after they left office.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-22-2015, 05:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
@Lady Finn - I read the article in Expressen about the extra security and the money the government is granting. I wonder if there have been threats against the SRF?

If the money is going to Sapo coverage on Sofia's apartment in South Africa or Madeleine in London, that's a problem. They are the wife of a spare and a spare herself so they normally don't get round the clock protection - unless there is a threat.
I doubt that SÄPO will cover Sofia's and Madeleine's security abroad, if the SRF want them protected they will have to hire private firms.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

What I find interesting is that the court took yesterday away from the calendar all the starting times of events outside the Royal Palace. There were times at many events, now there are times only at events which are at the Royal Palace.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

In Norway Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit have been criticized after they have refused to tell who has financed their luxury vacation this summer in the Mediterranean.
Now various politicians and other people demand for more transparency also in Sweden.
What is still lacking is who of the family makes the costs and Hillevi Larsson (S), former chairman of the Republican Association, has made a motion to the parliament and demanded that the royal family should be covered by the principle of publicity:
- The royal family is part of the public and therefore should then also money be accounted for, it is a lot of money. After a parliamentary decision was made in 2011 the reporting improved slightly. Earlier it was just a black hole, but today it is a scant recognition. It would be to their own advantage to be more open. Should there be any questions, they can straighten out any issues. There is no reason why the royal family shall be exempt from the rules that apply to all other public activities.
Hillevi Larsson is critical that the royal family wants more money from taxpayers, but does not want to present the costs to any great extent:
- They often ask for more money in the Apanage. It becomes very difficult to say that they need more money if you do not know what they use the money for. Today, the argument falls quite flat.
The king himself has clearly made it clear where he stands in the debate on transparency. Asked by SVT if he has something against openness, he replied:
- No, but maybe not like one have to know how many sausages I have bought the day before yesterday, and so on, but it will probably not go to that in the future either, I think.
Jan Lindman, the Keeper of the Privy Purse and Manager of the Economy at the court:
- I think today we have a transparent view of our operations. In our agreement, we have a statement and balance sheet.
Many think there should be greater transparency, and that the royal family would be covered by the principle of publicity?
- We are transparent, but the principle of publicity does not apply to us. We are so public that we have agreed with the government and the parliament, and we follow the agreement, says Jan Lindman.
Kravet_ Öppna dörren till kungahuset _ Dokument _ Expressen
Translation
Old 09-26-2015, 06:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

An article at Dagens Industri, at the Ledare (leader) column
Leader: A Queen to all the People of Sweden
Anyone who follows the royal family can't be without noticing the King and the Crown Princess' commitment to integration and migration issues. At the opening of parliament the King spoke unusually long time about the escape from conflict, the importance of doing what we can to help and to prepare new generations at major changes.
Yesterday the King and the Crown Princess visited a school in Sweden's largest refugee receipt center in Vänersborg and repeated there the same message.
Previously, the Crown Princess and her husband have visited several times the House of Emigrants in Växjö.
The Royal Family's growing interest in migration is positive news. Sweden is a large country of immigration but suffers grave lack of common institutions that can collect all of the country. Traditionally strong immigrant countries like the United States, United Kingdom and Canada are careful about their patriotism and filling citizenship with feelings that touch people. Affiliation with the Swedish nation has been so obvious and so implied that nobody has needed to institutionalize it.

It is a weakness that is now obvious. For example, we do not even have a word for the Swedish citizen which works completely painlessly. The word "svenskar" ("Swedes") is perceived by too many as the name for the old ethnicity and find it difficult to collect all. The Crown Princess avoids the word and uses instead "Sveriges folk" ("The People of Sweden").
In this gap between the old and the new also principled republicans must admit that the monarchy may be the only institution that can now bring together the people of Sweden, and that can symbolize "vi" ("we"). No party has right now that role, not the army, not the football, not the SVT, not Astrid Lindgren, and certainly not the Tax Agency.
For the Crown Princess the role is perfect. The King has profiled himself as an environmentalist. She is a second-generation immigrant and can play a major, important and long-term role as a symbol of an inclusive patriotism. It seems difficult to know what it means to be a Swede, but it is easy to keep on the queen.
di.se - Ledare_*Drottning för hela Sveriges folk
Old 09-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Serene Highness

General News about the Swedish Royal Family, Part 1: April 2015-

Great article - sums up a lot of why I think a monarchy is still relevant today and have a future tomorrow as an institution apart from and above the political anthill and not part of their squabbling over tax reductions for domestic help or hunting quotas for wolfs etc...

Old 10-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Roger Lundgren, the chief editor of Kungliga Magasinet (Royal Magazine) has made a special magazine "Kungligheter & fest" (Royals and party).
He interviewed the king before the Sweden dinner. The magazine has some photos from the dinner. Among those who are interviewed in the magazine are also court florist Claes Carlsson, royal resteurateur Stefano Catenacci, party organizer Micael Bindefeld. The magazine tells about clothes, hairdos, jewellery, tableware.
You can read the magazine here:
ISSUU - Kungligheter & fest by AMPG
Old 10-20-2015, 12:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Carl Philip was a guest at "Hellenius hörna" -talk show on TV4 last autumn.
David Hellenius tells that they had hoped that Sofia would be a guest this year.
But then the court said stop, he says. According to the program director that Sofia lacked a title must have been the reason that the interview did not happen.
- Sofia - we have talked to. But she was not allowed to participate because she does not have a title yet. That is the answer we got. Before she gets to be on the interviews she had to get a title, we heard, he says.
This despite the fact that Sofia on May 17 this year received the title of princess, after the king's decision.
- I can not answer when she was asked. I don't call in that way. But I know we've asked her, but it did not fit this season, he said.
David Hellenius hopes that Princess Sofia wants to be included in a future season.
At the same time he says that Prince Daniel is a dream guest.
- We have asked everyone in the royal family. But the one I would most like to have is Daniel. He is the most interesting because he has been a prince for a while. It is obvious you wonder how it is. It feels very interesting. I hope he wants to come. We try. It's like Carl Philip, one hopes that eventually they want, he says, and continues: The King, we have not asked. But we've asked Sofia and we have asked Daniel.
The court says that a contribution this season was not up to date.
- We get many requests. Prince Carl Philip starred in "Hellenius hörna" last fall. Any involvement of the royal family this season is not an issue, says Margareta Thorgren from the press department.
Prinsessan Sofia fick inte medverka i _Hellenius hörna_ _ Nöje
Translation
Old 10-29-2015, 03:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning tells, that the king and queen have spent some time with Madeleine's family in London and were with Madeleine at musical "Miss Saigon" at Prince Edward Theatre.
- It was of course a bit special, really fun, tells swedish Marsha Songcome, who plays Gigi's role.
Musikal och barnbarns-mys i London för kungaparet _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation
Photos at the article are old.

Marsha Songcome on her Twitter on 23rd October
"Can't believe I just performed 2nite in Miss Saigon as Gigi in the presence of the King, Queen & Princess Madeleine of Sweden"
https://twitter.com/Marshasongcome/s...33299767525376
Old 11-02-2015, 11:02 PM
Nobility

The official biographies of Prince Daniel and Princess Sofia were edited to alter Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte and Sofia Kristina Hellqvist Bernadotte to Olof Daniel Bernadotte and Sofia Kristina Bernadotte.

I assume it was done for a reason, but for what purpose should the prince and princess abandon the names Westling and Hellqvist just now?
Old 11-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Royal Highness

King's sisters Sweden's Svensk Damtidning
Nytt nummer ute nu – Hagasessornas uppror mot kungen | Svensk Damtidning

What is the news?
Old 11-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
King's sisters Sweden's Svensk Damtidning
Nytt nummer ute nu – Hagasessornas uppror mot kungen | Svensk Damtidning

What is the news?
There reads: "Missnöjet pyr i kulisserna / Hagasessornas uppror mot kungen / Alla som vill får visst en titel numera" = "The discontent smolders behind the scenes / The Haga princesses' rebellion against the King / Anyone who wants gets a title nowadays"
I get my Svensk Damtidning tomorrow, then I will see what SD writes. Or maybe they put the article online before that.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
There reads: "Alla som vill får visst en titel numera" = "Anyone who wants gets a title nowadays"

So maybe the anger is about that.
Thank you Lady Finn.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning writes that there are new times at the royal family now and according to their knowledge not everyone is pleased that the king is so generous with giving titles. Three of the king's sisters didn't attend at the christening of Nicolas. According to SD's sources princess Désirée was ill, but princess Christina was at the family house at French Riviera. And SD called to princess Birgitta, who told that she was engaged in other event:
- Yes, I had booked in another event already more than a year ago. And I am not a person who changes her mind because something more fun comes up. If I have said yes, I have said yes!
At the same time SD's sources tell that there is more dimensions at the Haga Princesses's absence than just practical reasons. Ultimately it is about a conflict regarding the older generation's animosity to accept the younger generation's "gräddfil", advantages. Above all two things cause irritation: Madeleine lives relatively private life abroad and her children are prince and princess and members of the Royal House. And Carl Philip's wife Sofia got title princess and became a substantial member of the Royal House. At the background is of course that Margaretha, Désirée and Christina lost their royal privileges when they married a "common" man - but got as a bandage the honorary title princess. They chose then to leave publicity, which many thought was self chosen, but which obviously is still a sore point.
Even at the circles close to the royal family some think that the king is too generous with titles: in five years the Royal House has got two new princes and three princesses and next year becomes two more. Anyone who wants gets to become prince or princess nowadays, says one source. The rumors about conflict at the royal family have been there for years, but become more intensive now. When Birgitta said at "Parneviks", that the king is jealous of her and doesn't understand how hard she works for Sweden, that was the first time king's family member criticized him openly. SD's sources mean that it wasn't a coincidence that it happened on the same year when Carl Philip married Sofia, and that it wasn't a coincidence either that three Haga Princesses didn't attend at Nicolas' christening.
- They are simply tired of always being loyal and travelling home to Sweden as soon as their little brother calls. The princesses understand that the times have changed, but they think there must be some moderation. And one thinks that especially Christina who is always there, should get something back. Why isn't Tord a duke, for instance?
Old 11-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Majesty

Very interesting... I haven't much knowledge on the matter but I wonder what should the King do? Surely he can't deny a title to his own grandchildren, children of a born princesses... As for the in-laws that is different matter, and maybe far more complicated as well...
Old 11-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

Tord Magnusson can't be made a duke because the King since 1974 isn't allowed to ennoble someone anymore. The last time it happened was in 1901. It's also impossible because before Victoria princesses wasn't made duchesses in their own right so Christina has never held that title. While the King regulates the titles of the Royal House Christina left said house upon marrying in 1974 so he couldn't, to my knowledge, bestow any titles upon her.
Regarding the "Parnevik incident" Birgitta was clearly intoxicated when she said what she said and when asked about it later the same night she commented something in the lines of "Oh you know stupid things you say when your drunk". She had so much to drink she almost didn't recognise a good friend of hers Mrs Tumba so I wouldn't take it that seriously...

Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Svensk Damtidning writes that there are new times at the royal family now and according to their knowledge not everyone is pleased that the king is so generous with giving titles. Three of the king's sisters didn't attend at the christening of Nicolas. According to SD's sources princess Désirée was ill, but princess Christina was at the family house at French Riviera. And SD called to princess Birgitta, who told that she was engaged in other event:
- Yes, I had booked in another event already more than a year ago. And I am not a person who changes her mind because something more fun comes up. If I have said yes, I have said yes!
At the same time SD's sources tell that there is more dimensions at the Haga Princesses's absence than just practical reasons. Ultimately it is about a conflict regarding the older generation's animosity to accept the younger generation's "gräddfil", advantages. Above all two things cause irritation: Madeleine lives relatively private life abroad and her children are prince and princess and members of the Royal House. And Carl Philip's wife Sofia got title princess and became a substantial member of the Royal House. At the background is of course that Margaretha, Désirée and Christina lost their royal privileges when they married a "common" man - but got as a bandage the honorary title princess. They chose then to leave publicity, which many thought was self chosen, but which obviously is still a sore point.
Even at the circles close to the royal family some think that the king is too generous with titles: in five years the Royal House has got two new princes and three princesses and next year becomes two more. Anyone who wants gets to become prince or princess nowadays, says one source. The rumors about conflict at the royal family have been there for years, but become more intensive now. When Birgitta said at "Parneviks", that the king is jealous of her and doesn't understand how hard she works for Sweden, that was the first time king's family member criticized him openly. SD's sources mean that it wasn't a coincidence that it happened on the same year when Carl Philip married Sofia, and that it wasn't a coincidence either that three Haga Princesses didn't attend at Nicolas' christening.
- They are simply tired of always being loyal and travelling home to Sweden as soon as their little brother calls. The princesses understand that the times have changed, but they think there must be some moderation. And one thinks that especially Christina who is always there, should get something back. Why isn't Tord a duke, for instance?
Unfortunately Svensk Damtidning has become a gossip magazine. Their main interest now appears to be to put a negative spin on the royal family. Tord Magnuson is in the same position as Chris O'Neill. He was for a long time a businessman managing a family business. I doubt he would have wanted to quit in order to be a fulltime royal (if that would have been a choice). Besides Princess Christina lost her royal title due to her marriage and received a honorary title of Princess Christina Mrs Magnuson from her brother.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Tord Magnusson can't be made a duke because the King since 1974 isn't allowed to ennoble someone anymore. The last time it happened was in 1901. It's also impossible because before Victoria princesses wasn't made duchesses in their own right so Christina has never held that title. While the King regulates the titles of the Royal House Christina left said house upon marrying in 1974 so he couldn't, to my knowledge, bestow any titles upon her.
But the Swedish royal dukedoms are not titles of nobility, and as far as I know, there is no legal instrument restricting the King's right to bestow royal titles, although it is convention to reserve ducal titles for the Royal House.