General News about the Swedish Royal Family, Part 1: April 2015 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, the former Director of the court press department and a Marshal of the Court as the Head of Crown Princess Victoria's Household, has written a new book "Journalister är också människor" (Journalists are also human beings).
ETW wrote the book for novices, to those who are not accustomed to the media and who do not have large communication departments available. She has been interviewed about her book and she has spoken about her work at the court.

I get of course both provoked and amused by the title. How did you come to the conclusion that we are human?
- By appealing to your common humanity. When Crown Princess Victoria was only 15 years old, I remember that she got in advance a question for her interview that was something like: "Can the Crown Princess define the monarchy and explain why it is important for Sweden in the future?"
- And it was expected, that she could answer to that! I turned then to the journalist in question, who had children of the same age, and asked if he thought that they in turn could answer something like that and they of course couldn't.
- There were many who saw the royals as supernatural beings, that they lived in a different world, had other abilities, were more grown up, more resistant, all that.
By the way are royals human?
- I think I have already said it. They are that in the highest degree, and they take offense at like any other.
Surely your connection to the court has given you a sort of special status in many contexts?
- Yes, both positive and negative. Negative in the sense that I sometimes felt that I wasn't me, that I wasn't always invited to a dinner because I was considered to be a fun and friendly guest but because I represented something that the sender wanted to get in touch with via me. The positive thing is that I got to experience very many exciting things.
What has been the most exciting?
- At the risk of sacrilege: the state visit to Saudi Arabia in 1981. I had never experienced that kind of society before and never been to dinner in the tents in the desert where the royal couple were driven up in a Bentley to meet the host, Crown Prince Fahd and where real mats were widespread across the sand. I was sitting there with a bunch of press people. Desert romanticism vanished unfortunately when we heard the aircraft on the way in to land in Riyadh close above our heads.
After you left the court the king has been in a couple of controversies. If you had been there, he had not turned a page then?
- I write about it in the book too. No other king had been before in front the massive walls of the beast. I think I had tried to suggest that the press conference would have been cancelled although there would have come a lot of talk. It would have been good if he only had had time to read the so-called book first.
Do you still have contact with the royals?
- Yes, and primarily with the family at Haga.
Man är rädd för att bli hudflängd_ _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

At TV4's Nyhetsmorgon ETW was asked what is her strongest memory of a meeting of a member of the royal family and media.
ETW says that Victoria was going to study French at the University of Angers. ETW was with Victoria when she enrolled to the University. There was huge media interest from the continental and Swedish media. When Victoria came out from the door to be photographed, there were a lot of photographers at the bottom the stairs, elbows were used and there was rivalry between the photographers. ETW still remembers that sight.
But there are also many very good and restful interviews of the members of the royal family, like the king’s interview due to his 50th birthday. ETW says that during her 32 years work for the royal family she never told any royal “you must say like this” if she wasn’t asked to tell what one should say, she tried to create the foundation for the royals' work. When she started at the court, the king was very accustomed with the media, the queen was quite new at the situation that she was the queen. And the queen was disappointed that the press was so interested about her clothes. The queen said: “If they were as interested in what I have in my head than they are in what I have on my head”. The members of the royal family want that the press writes about their work, not how they walk, stand or what kind of clothes they wear. Of course they are conscious of that a lot of the culture around the royal court is on traditions, clothes, furniture.
The reporter says that Victoria is very skilled on her role. What is ETW’s role in Victoria’s competence?
ETW says that Victoria had got the base from her home. And ETW had the great job to follow Victoria and support her, she had experience of almost 30 years and the king and queen thought she could help Victoria. ETW says that she has been there for Victoria, she is still there for Victoria, and anyone, who wants help from her, and she and Victoria are still in contact.
Jag finns fortfarande tillgänglig för Kronprinsessan_ - TV4 Play

Last edited:
The apanage increased by 7.8 million in the budget
The grant to the royal house, called the Apanage, is increased by 7.8 million. The reason: security around the royal family needs to be strengthened.

In this year's budget it is suggested that the Royal Court gets next year SEK 135.3 million, this year the apanage was SEK 127.5 million. The increase is just over SEK 7.8 million.
Most of the increased sum is not about luxury, glamour and lavish wedding parties. Instead, it is the security that costs.
"The Government believes that the safety of the royal palaces need to be strengthened. The apanage is therefore proposed to be increased by 6.3 million from 2016, writes the Minister for Finance Magdalena Andersson in the Budget.
The Court must submit an annual report to the government every year, where it tells how the apanage is used.
Apanaget höjs med 7,8 miljoner i budgeten _ Dina Pengar _ Expressen
Translation

The court confirms to Expressen that security must be raised at the royal family's palaces and that most of the increase in Apanage will be used to it.
The king is informed about the new tougher situation:
Jan Lindman, the director of the economy at the court, confirms to Expressen that the majority, 6.3 million of the 7.8 million crowns, will be used for security:
- Yes that's right. There are around six million for increased safety. It is not just public security - but this is about the specific security missions.
Where? Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel's Haga Palace? The King and Queen's home Drottningholm Palace? Or the Royal Palace?
- We never go into what or where. It is a principle we have always had. But I can confirm that the extra money is earmarked and will be used for specific security operations, says Lindman.
Have there been any threats?
- There is nothing I know of, says Lindman.
Does the king know about the tightened security?
- The King is always well informed and oriented to the safety issues surrounding business and palaces, says Lindman.
Hovet_ Det handlar om specifika säkerhetsinsatser _ Dina Pengar _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
@Lady Finn - I read the article in Expressen about the extra security and the money the government is granting. I wonder if there have been threats against the SRF?

If the money is going to Sapo coverage on Sofia's apartment in South Africa or Madeleine in London, that's a problem. They are the wife of a spare and a spare herself so they normally don't get round the clock protection - unless there is a threat.

Maybe a threat than against more Royals because in the Netherlands the amount of money for the security of the royal family (extended family included) rose also.
So I don't think that it is a special swedish problem.

Btw I think that mr. Obama's daughters are protected too even the eldest daughter, who, as I have heard, goes to college and does not live at the White House

Btw I think that mr. Obama's daughters are protected too even the eldest daughter, who, as I have heard, goes to college and does not live at the White House
Malia Obama turned 17 on July 4th - she's still in high school and lives at the White House.

OK But I am convinced that she will be protected in case she will leave the White House.
A pity we have to live in this kind of world

Last edited:
OK But I am convinced that she will be protected in case she will leave the White House.
A pity we have to this in this world

Children of a US president are protected by the Secret Service for as long as their parent remain in office though lately both Clinton and Bush II signed laws that extended their daughters protection for a few years after they left office.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

@Lady Finn - I read the article in Expressen about the extra security and the money the government is granting. I wonder if there have been threats against the SRF?

If the money is going to Sapo coverage on Sofia's apartment in South Africa or Madeleine in London, that's a problem. They are the wife of a spare and a spare herself so they normally don't get round the clock protection - unless there is a threat.
I doubt that SÄPO will cover Sofia's and Madeleine's security abroad, if the SRF want them protected they will have to hire private firms.

What I find interesting is that the court took yesterday away from the calendar all the starting times of events outside the Royal Palace. There were times at many events, now there are times only at events which are at the Royal Palace.

In Norway Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit have been criticized after they have refused to tell who has financed their luxury vacation this summer in the Mediterranean.
Now various politicians and other people demand for more transparency also in Sweden.
What is still lacking is who of the family makes the costs and Hillevi Larsson (S), former chairman of the Republican Association, has made a motion to the parliament and demanded that the royal family should be covered by the principle of publicity:
- The royal family is part of the public and therefore should then also money be accounted for, it is a lot of money. After a parliamentary decision was made in 2011 the reporting improved slightly. Earlier it was just a black hole, but today it is a scant recognition. It would be to their own advantage to be more open. Should there be any questions, they can straighten out any issues. There is no reason why the royal family shall be exempt from the rules that apply to all other public activities.
Hillevi Larsson is critical that the royal family wants more money from taxpayers, but does not want to present the costs to any great extent:
- They often ask for more money in the Apanage. It becomes very difficult to say that they need more money if you do not know what they use the money for. Today, the argument falls quite flat.
The king himself has clearly made it clear where he stands in the debate on transparency. Asked by SVT if he has something against openness, he replied:
- No, but maybe not like one have to know how many sausages I have bought the day before yesterday, and so on, but it will probably not go to that in the future either, I think.
Jan Lindman, the Keeper of the Privy Purse and Manager of the Economy at the court:
- I think today we have a transparent view of our operations. In our agreement, we have a statement and balance sheet.
Many think there should be greater transparency, and that the royal family would be covered by the principle of publicity?
- We are transparent, but the principle of publicity does not apply to us. We are so public that we have agreed with the government and the parliament, and we follow the agreement, says Jan Lindman.
Kravet_ Öppna dörren till kungahuset _ Dokument _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
An article at Dagens Industri, at the Ledare (leader) column
Leader: A Queen to all the People of Sweden
Anyone who follows the royal family can't be without noticing the King and the Crown Princess' commitment to integration and migration issues. At the opening of parliament the King spoke unusually long time about the escape from conflict, the importance of doing what we can to help and to prepare new generations at major changes.
Yesterday the King and the Crown Princess visited a school in Sweden's largest refugee receipt center in Vänersborg and repeated there the same message.
Previously, the Crown Princess and her husband have visited several times the House of Emigrants in Växjö.
The Royal Family's growing interest in migration is positive news. Sweden is a large country of immigration but suffers grave lack of common institutions that can collect all of the country. Traditionally strong immigrant countries like the United States, United Kingdom and Canada are careful about their patriotism and filling citizenship with feelings that touch people. Affiliation with the Swedish nation has been so obvious and so implied that nobody has needed to institutionalize it.

It is a weakness that is now obvious. For example, we do not even have a word for the Swedish citizen which works completely painlessly. The word "svenskar" ("Swedes") is perceived by too many as the name for the old ethnicity and find it difficult to collect all. The Crown Princess avoids the word and uses instead "Sveriges folk" ("The People of Sweden").
In this gap between the old and the new also principled republicans must admit that the monarchy may be the only institution that can now bring together the people of Sweden, and that can symbolize "vi" ("we"). No party has right now that role, not the army, not the football, not the SVT, not Astrid Lindgren, and certainly not the Tax Agency.
For the Crown Princess the role is perfect. The King has profiled himself as an environmentalist. She is a second-generation immigrant and can play a major, important and long-term role as a symbol of an inclusive patriotism. It seems difficult to know what it means to be a Swede, but it is easy to keep on the queen.
di.se - Ledare_*Drottning för hela Sveriges folk

Last edited:
General News about the Swedish Royal Family, Part 1: April 2015-

:previous:

Great article - sums up a lot of why I think a monarchy is still relevant today and have a future tomorrow as an institution apart from and above the political anthill and not part of their squabbling over tax reductions for domestic help or hunting quotas for wolfs etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger Lundgren, the chief editor of Kungliga Magasinet (Royal Magazine) has made a special magazine "Kungligheter & fest" (Royals and party).
He interviewed the king before the Sweden dinner. The magazine has some photos from the dinner. Among those who are interviewed in the magazine are also court florist Claes Carlsson, royal resteurateur Stefano Catenacci, party organizer Micael Bindefeld. The magazine tells about clothes, hairdos, jewellery, tableware.
You can read the magazine here:
ISSUU - Kungligheter & fest by AMPG

Last edited:
Carl Philip was a guest at "Hellenius hörna" -talk show on TV4 last autumn.
David Hellenius tells that they had hoped that Sofia would be a guest this year.
But then the court said stop, he says. According to the program director that Sofia lacked a title must have been the reason that the interview did not happen.
- Sofia - we have talked to. But she was not allowed to participate because she does not have a title yet. That is the answer we got. Before she gets to be on the interviews she had to get a title, we heard, he says.
This despite the fact that Sofia on May 17 this year received the title of princess, after the king's decision.
- I can not answer when she was asked. I don't call in that way. But I know we've asked her, but it did not fit this season, he said.
David Hellenius hopes that Princess Sofia wants to be included in a future season.
At the same time he says that Prince Daniel is a dream guest.
- We have asked everyone in the royal family. But the one I would most like to have is Daniel. He is the most interesting because he has been a prince for a while. It is obvious you wonder how it is. It feels very interesting. I hope he wants to come. We try. It's like Carl Philip, one hopes that eventually they want, he says, and continues: The King, we have not asked. But we've asked Sofia and we have asked Daniel.
The court says that a contribution this season was not up to date.
- We get many requests. Prince Carl Philip starred in "Hellenius hörna" last fall. Any involvement of the royal family this season is not an issue, says Margareta Thorgren from the press department.
Prinsessan Sofia fick inte medverka i _Hellenius hörna_ _ Nöje
Translation

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning tells, that the king and queen have spent some time with Madeleine's family in London and were with Madeleine at musical "Miss Saigon" at Prince Edward Theatre.
- It was of course a bit special, really fun, tells swedish Marsha Songcome, who plays Gigi's role.
Musikal och barnbarns-mys i London för kungaparet _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation
Photos at the article are old.

Marsha Songcome on her Twitter on 23rd October
"Can't believe I just performed 2nite in Miss Saigon as Gigi in the presence of the King, Queen & Princess Madeleine of Sweden"
https://twitter.com/Marshasongcome/status/657733299767525376

Last edited:
The official biographies of Prince Daniel and Princess Sofia were edited to alter Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte and Sofia Kristina Hellqvist Bernadotte to Olof Daniel Bernadotte and Sofia Kristina Bernadotte.

I assume it was done for a reason, but for what purpose should the prince and princess abandon the names Westling and Hellqvist just now?

There reads: "Missnöjet pyr i kulisserna / Hagasessornas uppror mot kungen / Alla som vill får visst en titel numera" = "The discontent smolders behind the scenes / The Haga princesses' rebellion against the King / Anyone who wants gets a title nowadays"
I get my Svensk Damtidning tomorrow, then I will see what SD writes. Or maybe they put the article online before that.

Svensk Damtidning writes that there are new times at the royal family now and according to their knowledge not everyone is pleased that the king is so generous with giving titles. Three of the king's sisters didn't attend at the christening of Nicolas. According to SD's sources princess Désirée was ill, but princess Christina was at the family house at French Riviera. And SD called to princess Birgitta, who told that she was engaged in other event:
- Yes, I had booked in another event already more than a year ago. And I am not a person who changes her mind because something more fun comes up. If I have said yes, I have said yes!
At the same time SD's sources tell that there is more dimensions at the Haga Princesses's absence than just practical reasons. Ultimately it is about a conflict regarding the older generation's animosity to accept the younger generation's "gräddfil", advantages. Above all two things cause irritation: Madeleine lives relatively private life abroad and her children are prince and princess and members of the Royal House. And Carl Philip's wife Sofia got title princess and became a substantial member of the Royal House. At the background is of course that Margaretha, Désirée and Christina lost their royal privileges when they married a "common" man - but got as a bandage the honorary title princess. They chose then to leave publicity, which many thought was self chosen, but which obviously is still a sore point.
Even at the circles close to the royal family some think that the king is too generous with titles: in five years the Royal House has got two new princes and three princesses and next year becomes two more. Anyone who wants gets to become prince or princess nowadays, says one source. The rumors about conflict at the royal family have been there for years, but become more intensive now. When Birgitta said at "Parneviks", that the king is jealous of her and doesn't understand how hard she works for Sweden, that was the first time king's family member criticized him openly. SD's sources mean that it wasn't a coincidence that it happened on the same year when Carl Philip married Sofia, and that it wasn't a coincidence either that three Haga Princesses didn't attend at Nicolas' christening.
- They are simply tired of always being loyal and travelling home to Sweden as soon as their little brother calls. The princesses understand that the times have changed, but they think there must be some moderation. And one thinks that especially Christina who is always there, should get something back. Why isn't Tord a duke, for instance?

Very interesting... I haven't much knowledge on the matter but I wonder what should the King do? Surely he can't deny a title to his own grandchildren, children of a born princesses... As for the in-laws that is different matter, and maybe far more complicated as well...

Tord Magnusson can't be made a duke because the King since 1974 isn't allowed to ennoble someone anymore. The last time it happened was in 1901. It's also impossible because before Victoria princesses wasn't made duchesses in their own right so Christina has never held that title. While the King regulates the titles of the Royal House Christina left said house upon marrying in 1974 so he couldn't, to my knowledge, bestow any titles upon her.
Regarding the "Parnevik incident" Birgitta was clearly intoxicated when she said what she said and when asked about it later the same night she commented something in the lines of "Oh you know stupid things you say when your drunk". She had so much to drink she almost didn't recognise a good friend of hers Mrs Tumba so I wouldn't take it that seriously...

Svensk Damtidning writes that there are new times at the royal family now and according to their knowledge not everyone is pleased that the king is so generous with giving titles. Three of the king's sisters didn't attend at the christening of Nicolas. According to SD's sources princess Désirée was ill, but princess Christina was at the family house at French Riviera. And SD called to princess Birgitta, who told that she was engaged in other event:
- Yes, I had booked in another event already more than a year ago. And I am not a person who changes her mind because something more fun comes up. If I have said yes, I have said yes!
At the same time SD's sources tell that there is more dimensions at the Haga Princesses's absence than just practical reasons. Ultimately it is about a conflict regarding the older generation's animosity to accept the younger generation's "gräddfil", advantages. Above all two things cause irritation: Madeleine lives relatively private life abroad and her children are prince and princess and members of the Royal House. And Carl Philip's wife Sofia got title princess and became a substantial member of the Royal House. At the background is of course that Margaretha, Désirée and Christina lost their royal privileges when they married a "common" man - but got as a bandage the honorary title princess. They chose then to leave publicity, which many thought was self chosen, but which obviously is still a sore point.
Even at the circles close to the royal family some think that the king is too generous with titles: in five years the Royal House has got two new princes and three princesses and next year becomes two more. Anyone who wants gets to become prince or princess nowadays, says one source. The rumors about conflict at the royal family have been there for years, but become more intensive now. When Birgitta said at "Parneviks", that the king is jealous of her and doesn't understand how hard she works for Sweden, that was the first time king's family member criticized him openly. SD's sources mean that it wasn't a coincidence that it happened on the same year when Carl Philip married Sofia, and that it wasn't a coincidence either that three Haga Princesses didn't attend at Nicolas' christening.
- They are simply tired of always being loyal and travelling home to Sweden as soon as their little brother calls. The princesses understand that the times have changed, but they think there must be some moderation. And one thinks that especially Christina who is always there, should get something back. Why isn't Tord a duke, for instance?

Unfortunately Svensk Damtidning has become a gossip magazine. Their main interest now appears to be to put a negative spin on the royal family. Tord Magnuson is in the same position as Chris O'Neill. He was for a long time a businessman managing a family business. I doubt he would have wanted to quit in order to be a fulltime royal (if that would have been a choice). Besides Princess Christina lost her royal title due to her marriage and received a honorary title of Princess Christina Mrs Magnuson from her brother.

Tord Magnusson can't be made a duke because the King since 1974 isn't allowed to ennoble someone anymore. The last time it happened was in 1901. It's also impossible because before Victoria princesses wasn't made duchesses in their own right so Christina has never held that title. While the King regulates the titles of the Royal House Christina left said house upon marrying in 1974 so he couldn't, to my knowledge, bestow any titles upon her.

But the Swedish royal dukedoms are not titles of nobility, and as far as I know, there is no legal instrument restricting the King's right to bestow royal titles, although it is convention to reserve ducal titles for the Royal House.

Last edited:
@Lady Finn - why is Daniel sitting apart from Carl Phillip and his in-laws, moreso, in front of them? Who is sitting with Daniel, his Sapo detail?

@Lady Finn - why is Daniel sitting apart from Carl Phillip and his in-laws, moreso, in front of them? Who is sitting with Daniel, his Sapo detail?

They are Daniel's friends who are sitting with him. He goes often to football matches with his friends. The other of them is Patrik Vrbanc, the ceo of Daniel's gyms. Daniel, Patrik and Lars Hellström founded Master Training. I think that the man sitting alone to the right of Daniel at the first row is a SÄPO-bodyguard.
In fact, the both men have been seen with Daniel and Victoria at football matches before:
http://gfx.bloggar.aftonbladet-cdn....13/11/Skarmavbild-2013-11-20-kl.-09.47.06.png
http://www.svenskdam.se/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/daniel-carl-philip-olle-ao2.jpg

Last edited:
Johan T Lindwall writes in Expressen that the Royal Family has arrived in the evening to Drottningholm Palace to celebrate queen Silvia's 72 birthday.
The Queen chose via Expressen to thank for all the congratulations and send a Christmas greeting to whole Sweden:
- I would like to wish a Merry Christmas and a restful holidays!
According to tradition, the Queen was celebrated with a Christmas concert and a small church service on her birthday. The whole family has gathered at the Palace for her birthday dinner and a soft-start of Christmas celebrations.
- It's a private dinner for the Queen, where she and her family are gathered at Drottningholm, says Margareta Thorgren.
One of the first to be in place in a dark suit was Prince Daniel. He came with the family's new car, a black Volvo XC90. He and the Crown Princess and daughter Estelle seem to have plans for the coming holidays - on the roof of the car was a big black ski box. Maybe it's a trip again to the family's vacation home in Storlien?
Shortly before dinner would start came also Carl Philip and Sofia in another XC90.
The concert this evening in the Drottningholm Palace chapel is in honor of the Queen on her birthday:
- Yes absolutely! This has become something of a tradition, says Christer Villard, Chairman of the Friends of the Drottningholm Palace Theatre.
The Queen heard arias of baroque masters and those who performed the music were court singer Elin Rombo Maria Lindal, violin, Joel Sundin violin, Mats Klingfors on flute, Karl Nyhlin on lute and Jonas Dominique on bass.
- It is an extremely important night for us and the queen always tends to appreciate the concert. It is our way to woo her. She is always happy, committed and positive! She usually thrives, says Christer Villard.
Queen fills today 72 years. How important she is for example for the Friends of the Drottningholm Palace Theatre?
- The Queen bestows phenomenal presence and shine to all the activities we conduct. Her role as the honorary president of the association is extremely important for example to maintain the number of members. The queen is important.
Hela familjen samlad för Silvias stora dag _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Expressen has published their annual photo book/magazine "Året med Estelle & Kungafamiljen" (The Year with Estelle & The Royal Family). It has 176 photos of the events of the royal family in 2015.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Expressen published similar books also in 2014
https://d3ry4o1su9a59w.cloudfront.n...0000b/54a25ac58ea57f0333000002/1/320-0001.jpg

And 2013
https://d3ry4o1su9a59w.cloudfront.n...0000b/52c28affd9e840b3a0000009/1/320-0001.jpg

The Royal Family wishes Happy New Year!
The court publishes highlighs-photos of the events during 2015.
Gott nytt år! Året som gick 2015 - Sveriges Kungahus

HQ version of the family photo taken at the Nobel banquet
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/20...+2015+Foto+Jonas+Ekstromer+Kungahuset.se+.jpg

If the photo doesn't open, it can be downloaded from here:
https://www.kungahuset.se/pressrum/...ey=category&searchQuery=*&showImagesOnly=true

I have to admit that I am very disappointed by these photos. I had expected more "warm" pictures, as they were those of the years before, taken during the summer. Plus, the children were not even included.:ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom