Former Territories of Sweden

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrhcp

Royal Highness
Country
Canada
Denmark has Greenland and Hans Island (between Greenland and Baffin Island).
Norway has the Lofoten Islands.
The Netherlands has some islands in the Caribean.
Belgium used to have the Congo.
Spain has their version of Gibraltar on the Morrocan side of the inlet to the Mediterrean.
England has The Bahamas and Bermuda and even sunnier isles.

What land masses outside of Sweden - outside of Scandinavia - used to belong to "Tre Kronor" ?

In the 17th century, Sweden had various forts and colonies along the Gold Coast in modern-day Ghana

From 1785 to 1878, Sweden ruled St. Barts.

Also there was Nya Sverige in modern-day Delaware and New Jersey.

Also Pomerania on the northern German coast from 21 Apr 1631 - 1815.

Estonia from 15 Jun 1561 - 10 Oct 1710

Guadeloupe from 1813-1814

Parts of Livonia and most of modern-day Latvia from the 17th to 18th centuries.

Dennism  Posted: May 28th, 2004 - 1:26 am

had various forts and colonies along the Gold Coast in modern-day Ghana
Wow ... that's a new one on me. What was the background to the establishment here?

From 1785 to 1878, Sweden ruled St. Barts.
That was a trade, wasn't it?

Also there was Nya Sverige in modern-day Delaware and New Jersey.
You mean to say it was governed from Sweden?
Or, was it where a lot of Swedes settled?

Also Pomerania on the northern German coast from 21 Apr 1631 - 1815.
You mean, Sweden lost it at the Congress of Vienna?

Guadeloupe from 1813-1814
A short-lived trade?

Ghana. News of the "riches" of Ghana especially of the Gold Coast were well-known throughout Europe in the mid 17th century. The last people to arrive in the area were the Danes. The Swedes had forts from 1650. By 1663, they were taken over by the Danes. There was at various times in the 13 years a director, general and a commander in charge.

St. Barts. I found this:

"In 1784, Louis XVI and Gustav III negociated the exchange of the island with Sweden for a commercial base in Goteborg. The island is still free port, a decision which was made during the period of prosperity. As from 1813, the financial situation of the island declined. Due to the commercial competition from the surrounding islands and repeated climatic catastrophes, the king of Sweden, Oscar III proposed giving St.Barts back to France"

The commercial base was a warehouse according to another site. Of course, the capital is Gustavia named after the king. Most of the Swedish buildings were destroyed in a hurricane and fire in 1850. More history here:

http://www.histdoc.net/history/gustaf.html

As for Nya Sverige, plenty of information here.

http://www.colonialswedes.org/History/History.html

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx/6497/newnether.html

Pomerania was ceded to Denmark by Sweden in exchange for Norway which did not make the Norwegians too happy when the Peace of Kiel was signed on May 17, 1814.

As for Guadeloupe, it was French until 1810 when the British occupied it. In 1813 the island was placed under Swedish administration (Governor John Skinner); in 1814 Sweden ceded Guadeloupe back to France.

I forgot to add an area near the German city of Bremen from 1645 to 1715. Also the parts of modern-day Poland from roughly the modern city of Szczecin to the Vistula river from the beginning of the 17th century to the beginning of the 18th century. Various dates of lands lost in between that period.

Actually the three southern provinces of Sweden: Skåne, Halland and Blekinge, were danish up to 1645 (Halland) and 1658 (Skåne and Blekinge).

Originally posted by Chatleen@May 28th, 2004 - 11:09 am
Actually the three southern provinces of Sweden: Skåne, Halland and Blekinge, were danish up to 1645 (Halland) and 1658 (Skåne and Blekinge).
Yes. and Gotland was finally secured in 1645 as well.

Originally posted by Dennism+May 28th, 2004 - 12:52 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dennism @ May 28th, 2004 - 12:52 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Chatleen@May 28th, 2004 - 11:09 am
Yes. and Gotland was finally secured in 1645 as well. [/b][/quote]
Ehm, secured??? :blink:

Yes. it was constantly being fought over between the Swedes, Danes and Germans.

"Gotland, initially an independent sovereign entity, fell under German rule in 1398, Danish rule in 1408, Swedish rule in 1645, Danish rule again in 1676, and ended up as part of Sweden in 1679, with a brief 23-day occupation by the Russians in 1808. "

So I misspoke when I said 1645.

Originally posted by Dennism@May 28th, 2004 - 4:09 pm

"Gotland, initially an independent sovereign entity, fell under German rule in 1398, Danish rule in 1408, Swedish rule in 1645, Danish rule again in 1676, and ended up as part of Sweden in 1679, with a brief 23-day occupation by the Russians in 1808. "

Ok, but for me, as a dane, Gotland wasn't secured - it was lost ;) :innocent: :p

However, due to the time span, I might be willing to let bygones be bygones :lol:

Originally posted by Chatleen+May 28th, 2004 - 4:17 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chatleen @ May 28th, 2004 - 4:17 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dennism@May 28th, 2004 - 4:09 pm

Ok, but for me, as a dane, Gotland wasn't secured - it was lost ;) :innocent: :p

However, due to the time span, I might be willing to let bygones by bygones :lol: [/b][/quote]
Well, that´s okay. The Lubeckers were the problem people. Torching the already hurt town of Visby in 1525. I guess being in the Hanseatic League meant nothing by that time. That was just wrong. Ha ha ha. Yes. Let bygones be bygones.

Ghana. I am just overwhelmed by the swedish presence in this part of Africa.

BTW, is it true that there was gold in "Ghana especially of the Gold Coast" ?
- or was it 'gold' in a different form?

The Portuguese who came to Ghana in the 15th Century found so much gold between the rivers Ankobra and the Volta that they named the place Mina - meaning Mine.

Yes. Swedes, Danes, English and others. It was the center of early European exploration of Sub-Saharan Africa.

Info from Wikipedia:

Fiefs
Fiefs that were held for a limited time.

* Denmark (Eric the Victorious, 991-995)
* Scania (Agreement of Helsingborg, 1332-1360)
* Blechingia (Agreement of Helsingborg, 1332-1360)
* Hven (Agreement of Helsingborg, 1332-1360)
* Elbing (Treaty of Altmark, 1629-1635)
* Braunsberg (Treaty of Altmark, 1629-1635)
* Pillau (Treaty of Altmark, 1629-1635)
* Fischhausen (Treaty of Altmark, 1629-1635)
* Lochstädt (Treaty of Altmark, 1629-1635)
* Memel (Treaty of Altmark, 1629-1635)
* Bremen (Recess of Stede, 1654-1666)
* Bornholm (Treaty of Roskilde, 1658-1660)
* Trøndelag (Treaty of Roskilde, 1658-1660)

Colonies

* Cape Coast (Swedish Africa Company in Ghana, 1650-1663)
* Guadeloupe (Guadeloupe Fund, 1813-1814)
* New Sweden (New Sweden Company in Delaware, 1638-1655)
* Saint-Barthélemy (1785-1878)

Mint Cities
Cities, held outside the realm, where Swedish mints were established.

* Stade (Saxony)
* Osnabrück (Saxony)
* Erfurt (Thuringia)
* Mainz (Palatinate)
* Würzburg (Bavaria)
* Fürth (Bavaria)
* Nuremberg (Bavaria)
* Augsburg (Bavaria)
* Elbing (Prussia, 1626-1635 and 1655-1660)
* Thorn (Prussia, 1655-1658)

Territories held under Martial Law

* Strassberg (conquest in the Polish War, held until 1629)
* Dirschau (conquest in the Polish War, held until 1629)
* Wormditt (conquest in the Polish War, held until 1629)
* Mehlsack (conquest in the Polish War, held until 1629)
* Frauenburg (conquest in the Polish War, held until 1629)
* Marienburg (conquest in the Polish War, held until 1629)
* Stuhm (conquest in the Polish War, held until 1629)
* Danziger Haupt (conquest in the Polish War, held until 1629)
* Landsberg (agreement with Brandenburg, 1641-1643)
* Frankfurt (agreement with Brandenburg, 1641-1643)
* Leipzig (agreement with Saxony, 1646-1648)
* Memmingen (agreement with Bavaria, 1647-1648)
* Überlingen (agreement with Bavaria, 1647-1648)

Dominions
The Dominions of Sweden were territories that historically came under control of the Swedish Crown, but never became fully integrated with Sweden. This generally meant that they were ruled by Governors-General under the Swedish monarch, but within certain limits retained their own established political systems, essentially their diets.

Baltic Dominions
Between 1561 and 1629 Sweden made conquests in the Eastern Baltic. All of them were lost in accordance with the Treaty of Nystad in 1721, which concluded the Great Northern War.

Estonia
Estonia placed itself under Swedish rule in 1561 to receive protection from Russia and Poland as the Livonian Order lost their foothold in the Baltic provinces. Territorially it represented the northern part of present day Estonia.

Ingria
Russia ceded Ingria and southern Karelia to Sweden in the Treaty of Stolbova in 1617, following the Ingrian War. A century later Russia reconquered the area, providing an opportunity for Peter the Great to lay the foundations of his new capital, Saint Petersburg, in 1703. The area was then formally ceded in 1721 by the Treaty of Nystad.

Riga
The Hanseatic town of Riga fell under Swedish control in the late 1620s. During its bare century in the Swedish Realm it was the second largest town after Stockholm.

Livonia
Livonia was conquered from Poland by 1629 in the Polish War. By the Treaty of Oliva between Poland and Sweden in 1660 following the Northern Wars the Polish king renounced all claims to the Swedish throne and Livonia was formally ceded to Sweden. Livonia represents the southern part of present-day Estonia and the northern part of present-day Latvia.

Ösel
By the Treaty of Brömsebro (1645), following the Torstenson War, Denmark ceded Jemtia, Herdalia, Gotlandia, Hallandia and Ösel to Sweden. Ösel and Dagö, islands off the coast of Estonia, were ceded to Russia in 1721 by the Treaty of Nystad. The other territories remained part of Sweden.

Continental Dominions
Through its minor German principalities, the Swedish kings in their roles as princes and dukes, or Reichsfürsten, of the Holy Roman Empire took part in the German diets from 1648 until the dissolution of the empire in 1806.

Bremen and Verden
In 1648 Sweden received the two bishoprics of Bremen-Verden in the Peace of Westphalia, following the Thirty Years' War. The town of Wildeshausen, which was situated as an exclave was also received. All of them were ceded to Hanover in the peace treaty of 1719.

Pomerania
By the Peace of Westphalia in 1648 Sweden received Pomerania, situated along the German Baltic Sea coast. In 1720 the Swedish part of Eastern Pomerania (Hinterpommern) with the town of Stettin and the islands of Usedom and Wollin were ceded to Kingdom of Prussia, following the Great Northern War. In 1814 Western Pomerania (Vorpommern), with the town of Stralsund and the island of Rügen were ceded to Denmark, which in exchange ceded Norway to the king of Sweden under the Treaty of Kiel, which followed on Second War against Napoleon. However the treaty of Kiel never came into force: instead sovereignty of Western Pomerania passed to Kingdom of Prussia, and Norway declared its independence, but was forced after a short war into a personal Union with Sweden.

Wismar
Sweden received the German town of Wismar with the surrounding countryside in the Peace of Westphalia (1648). In 1803 Wismar was pawned, in exchange for a loan, and control was handed over to Mecklenburg. The loan defaulted in 1903, but Sweden rescinded its right to regain control of the German exclave and thereby nominally received its present territorial constitution.

Interesting articles at Wikipedia:
Rise of Sweden as a Great Power
Realm of Sweden
Dominions of Sweden

hrhcp said:
England has The Bahamas and Bermuda and even sunnier isles.

It is Britain that has the Bahamas and Bermuda, not England.

mixer2002de said:
wasn't it norway?
BtW why did Sweden give up Norway?

It didn't give it up, the Norwegians wanted to be an independant country again so left the United Kingdom of Sweden and Norway in (I think) 1905.

Finland belonged to Sweden from the 1200s to 1809. Russia took Finland away from us, and to make it even worse, the Russian emperor, who did this, was actually the Swedish king's brother-in-law (their wives were sisters). King Gustav IV Adolf and Queen Frederica had to leave Sweden after this with their children. Gustav IV Adolf's aging uncle became King Carl XIII. He had no legitimate children, and Gustav IV Adolf's children had stupidly enough been deprived of their rights to inherit the Swedish thrown when their father was overthrown. So a French general, Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, was adopted by the king. He was supposed to take Finland back from Russia, but instead, he took Norway from Denmark in 1814. Jean Baptiste Bernadotte became King Carl XIV John. He's the first king of the Bernadotte dynasty and our current king's great great great great grandfather. Norway belonged to Sweden until 1905, when the Norveigans wanted to become independent. Finland became independent from Russia in 1917.

Denmark has Greenland and Hans Island (between Greenland and Baffin Island).

Hans Island is actually strongly disputed between Canada and Denmark, I won't get into the poiltics talk, but best to leave that off your list.

Peaceful trade too

Hans Island is actually strongly disputed between Canada and Denmark, I won't get into the poiltics talk, but best to leave that off your list.

:-(lol)

What happened to the coalition of the willing?

Why is this an issue when trade seems to be a more lucrative way to interact?

To my knowledge war is not required when free to choose peaceful trade with others.

With so much knowledge it is amazing to me that we may still have leadership that seek hostel trade.

There must be more pressing issues, such as some friends and family in a desert waiting for solar, wind, tidal energy so they can come home.

We miss them.

Peace

:-(lol)

What happened to the coalition of the willing?

Why is this an issue when trade seems to be a more lucrative way to interact?

To my knowledge war is not required when free to choose peaceful trade with others.

With so much knowledge it is amazing to me that we may still have leadership that seek hostel trade.

There must be more pressing issues, such as some friends and family in a desert waiting for solar, wind, tidal energy so they can come home.

We miss them.

Peace

You are right peaceful trade is to be prefered. But when it comes to Hans Island - there are other issues with importance as well like being capable of claiming the ownership of the subsoil including the right to extract possible deposits of oil, minerals etc.

Fiefs
Fiefs that were held for a limited time.

* Denmark (Eric the Victorious, 991-995)

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: That is absolutly unbelievable incorrect. :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

It isn't even written in the sources you refere to in your post............:whistling:

According to Eric the Victorious - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the extent of the kingdom of Eric the Victorious is unknown. In addition to the Swedish heartland round lake Mälaren it may have extended down to the Baltic Sea coast as far south as Blekinge. Which is nowhere near Denmark.

Actually Sweyn I Forkbeard (c. 960 - 1014) was King of Denmark and busy building up a position as sovereign of a North Sea empire, in the period you claim Denmark to be a Swedish fief.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweyn_Forkbeard Sweyn I Forkbeard was king of Denmark and England, as well as parts of Norway. He was a Viking leader and the father of Canute the Great. On his father Harald Bluetooth's death in late 986 or early 987, he became King of Denmark. In 1000, with allegiance of the Trondejarl, Erik of Lade, he was ruler over most of Norway. After a long effort at conquest, and shortly before his death, in 1013 he became King of England. For the last months of his life, he was the Danish sovereign of a North Sea empire, which only his son Canute was to rival in northern Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: That is absolutly unbelievable incorrect. :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

It isn't even written in the sources you refere to in your post............:whistling:

According to Eric the Victorious - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the extent of the kingdom of Eric the Victorious is unknown. In addition to the Swedish heartland round lake Mälaren it may have extended down to the Baltic Sea coast as far south as Blekinge. Which is nowhere near Denmark.

Actually Sweyn I Forkbeard (c. 960 - 1014) was King of Denmark and busy building up a position as sovereign of a North Sea empire, in the period you claim Denmark to be a Swedish fief.

According to Sweyn Forkbeard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sweyn I Forkbeard was king of Denmark and England, as well as parts of Norway. He was a Viking leader and the father of Canute the Great. On his father Harald Bluetooth's death in late 986 or early 987, he became King of Denmark. In 1000, with allegiance of the Trondejarl, Erik of Lade, he was ruler over most of Norway. After a long effort at conquest, and shortly before his death, in 1013 he became King of England. For the last months of his life, he was the Danish sovereign of a North Sea empire, which only his son Canute was to rival in northern Europe.
Actually if you look at my old post again you will see that the post was cut from Wikipedia, I stated that before the post and gave some links after the post contents as well. These were not my ideas and I was merely trying to be helpful. It was back in 2004 when we were allowed to do such things on this forum. No need to get snappish :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom