The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Commoner

Peaceful trade too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie View Post
Hans Island is actually strongly disputed between Canada and Denmark, I won't get into the poiltics talk, but best to leave that off your list.
:-(lol)

What happened to the coalition of the willing?

Why is this an issue when trade seems to be a more lucrative way to interact?

To my knowledge war is not required when free to choose peaceful trade with others.

With so much knowledge it is amazing to me that we may still have leadership that seek hostel trade.

There must be more pressing issues, such as some friends and family in a desert waiting for solar, wind, tidal energy so they can come home.

We miss them.

Peace

Old 02-01-2009, 05:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
:-(lol)

What happened to the coalition of the willing?

Why is this an issue when trade seems to be a more lucrative way to interact?

To my knowledge war is not required when free to choose peaceful trade with others.

With so much knowledge it is amazing to me that we may still have leadership that seek hostel trade.

There must be more pressing issues, such as some friends and family in a desert waiting for solar, wind, tidal energy so they can come home.

We miss them.

Peace
You are right peaceful trade is to be prefered. But when it comes to Hans Island - there are other issues with importance as well like being capable of claiming the ownership of the subsoil including the right to extract possible deposits of oil, minerals etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess View Post
Fiefs
Fiefs that were held for a limited time.

* Denmark (Eric the Victorious, 991-995)
That is absolutly unbelievable incorrect.

It isn't even written in the sources you refere to in your post............

According to Eric the Victorious - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the extent of the kingdom of Eric the Victorious is unknown. In addition to the Swedish heartland round lake Mälaren it may have extended down to the Baltic Sea coast as far south as Blekinge. Which is nowhere near Denmark.

Actually Sweyn I Forkbeard (c. 960 - 1014) was King of Denmark and busy building up a position as sovereign of a North Sea empire, in the period you claim Denmark to be a Swedish fief.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweyn_Forkbeard Sweyn I Forkbeard was king of Denmark and England, as well as parts of Norway. He was a Viking leader and the father of Canute the Great. On his father Harald Bluetooth's death in late 986 or early 987, he became King of Denmark. In 1000, with allegiance of the Trondejarl, Erik of Lade, he was ruler over most of Norway. After a long effort at conquest, and shortly before his death, in 1013 he became King of England. For the last months of his life, he was the Danish sovereign of a North Sea empire, which only his son Canute was to rival in northern Europe.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
That is absolutly unbelievable incorrect.

It isn't even written in the sources you refere to in your post............

According to Eric the Victorious - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the extent of the kingdom of Eric the Victorious is unknown. In addition to the Swedish heartland round lake Mälaren it may have extended down to the Baltic Sea coast as far south as Blekinge. Which is nowhere near Denmark.

Actually Sweyn I Forkbeard (c. 960 - 1014) was King of Denmark and busy building up a position as sovereign of a North Sea empire, in the period you claim Denmark to be a Swedish fief.

According to Sweyn Forkbeard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sweyn I Forkbeard was king of Denmark and England, as well as parts of Norway. He was a Viking leader and the father of Canute the Great. On his father Harald Bluetooth's death in late 986 or early 987, he became King of Denmark. In 1000, with allegiance of the Trondejarl, Erik of Lade, he was ruler over most of Norway. After a long effort at conquest, and shortly before his death, in 1013 he became King of England. For the last months of his life, he was the Danish sovereign of a North Sea empire, which only his son Canute was to rival in northern Europe.
Actually if you look at my old post again you will see that the post was cut from Wikipedia, I stated that before the post and gave some links after the post contents as well. These were not my ideas and I was merely trying to be helpful. It was back in 2004 when we were allowed to do such things on this forum. No need to get snappish