The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-29-2018, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
The duke and duchess have arrived in Stockholm. There are some pictures in the article. It basically just says that they were picked up at Arlanda by security staff.

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/kun...ats-i-sverige/

They are staying at the brittish ambassadors residence since the guest flat at the castle is undergoing renovations.
I am really excited about this Scandinavian tour. I hope there is a good chemistry between the Cambridges and the Swedish royals.

It is a pity that they couldn't stay at the Royal Palace.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:44 PM
Majesty

Yes, it's a pity they couldn't stay at the Palace, but nice to know it's logistics and not an overabundance of "distance" as was feared when people were comparing the visits to Sweden and Norway.

Nice to see they dressed for the weather!

Old 01-30-2018, 04:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Time schedule according to finnish Iltasanomat, which is following the visit:
10.15-10.45 William and Kate are watching bandy in Vasaparken.
13.00-14.30 King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia host a lunch at the Royal Palace.
14.40-15.10 Victoria, Daniel, William and Kate walk from the Royal Palace to Stortorget and then to the Nobel Museum.
15.20-15.30 At the Nobel Museum
15.35-16.30 William and Kate visit ArkDes
17.00 Dinner at the residence
https://www.is.fi/kuninkaalliset/art-2000005544968.html
Old 01-30-2018, 04:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

And the visit starting with The Duke of Cambridge, and the Duchess of Cambridge, are visiting a bandy match in central Stockholm this morning

Belga Image

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...sit_to_sweden?
Old 01-30-2018, 04:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Local Sweden have set up a live blog for the visit https://www.thelocal.se/20180130/liv...mpression=true
Old 01-30-2018, 04:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
And the visit starting with The Duke of Cambridge, and the Duchess of Cambridge, are visiting a bandy match in central Stockholm this morning

Belga Image

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...sit_to_sweden?
They are surely dressed for the weather ! I wonder if the Swedes will find it a little amusing. Well, better safe than sorry.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
They are surely dressed for the weather ! I wonder if the Swedes will find it a little amusing. Well, better safe than sorry.
Everybody there seem dressed for the weather, I don't think anyone will find it funny. Plus I'm sure they'll have a dress change to meet the King and Queen.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
Everybody there seem dress for the weather, I don't think anyone will find it funny. Plus I'm sure they'll have a dress change to meet the King and Queen.
They should (dress for the weather, I mean), but William and Kate look slightly overdressed compared to the crowd and the people around them. Their very tall knit hats are a little amusing IMHO.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
They should (dress for the weather, I mean), but William and Kate look slightly overdressed compared to the crowd and the people around them. Their very tall knit hats are a little amusing IMHO.
Most Scandinavians have several of those hats and I'm absolutely sure the spectators are bundled up just as much as WCC. Difference could be long johns, layers of undergarments, thick socks etc... Dressing for below zero is something we do several months a year so we're quite good at it
Old 01-30-2018, 05:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Most Scandinavians have several of those hats and I'm absolutely sure the spectators are bundled up just as much as WCC. Difference could be long johns, layers of undergarments, thick socks etc... Dressing for below zero is something we do several months a year so we're quite good at it
It is also a matter of how accostumed you are to that kind of weather. Accuweather, according to my web search, is reporting the current air temperature in Stockholm as -1 C (RealFeel - 6 C), which is cold and requires warm clothing for safety, but, in the US northeast or the American Midwest for example, would not be considered particularly cold, but rather a normal daytime temperature in the winter. In southeast England where William and Kate live, that is, however, pretty much the coldest it normally gets in the year (current air temperature in London for example is 6 C, with RealFeel 7 C). So, it is predictable that they may overreact.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Here are more photos of their first day in Sweden:

** zimbio/gettyimages gallery: The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge Visit Sweden And Norway - Day 1 **

** dailymail: Duchess on ice: Pregnant Kate takes on William at hockey during royals' visit to chilly Stockholm..**
Old 01-30-2018, 07:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Meeting with the Royal Family

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...02a&m=oekieoae
Old 01-30-2018, 07:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Photos before the lunch at the Royal Palace.
http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/foto...LD3=&doSearch=
From Svensk Damtidning
https://www.svenskdam.se/2018/01/jus...ia-och-daniel/
Old 01-30-2018, 07:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Photos before the lunch at the Royal Palace.
IBL Bildbyrå - Redaktionella arkivet - Samtliga arkiv
It must feel awkward for the Bernadottes, who are quite short by Northern European standards, to stand beside William and Kate in a group picture. Being a short person myself, I know the feeling. Carl Gustaf should be used to it by now though.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Why would it feel awkward for the Bernadottes? They have tall people in Sweden too....can't be that big of a deal.

LaRae
Old 01-30-2018, 07:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Why would it feel awkward for the Bernadottes? They have tall people in Sweden too....can't be that big of a deal.

LaRae
That is what I said. They are used to being in pictures with people who are taller than them, because they are not particularly tall. I was just commenting that, from the perspective of shorter people, it may feel uncomfortable to be next to someone who is one head taller than you, especially in photos. Victoria and Daniel are slightly taller than the King, so it's not that bad for them.

Of course, Queen Elizabeth is even shorter (as was Queen Victoria) and she doesn't seem to bother.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:46 AM
Courtier

They're a little shorter than the Cambridges, but not by that much, I don't think. The difference didn't stand out to me in those photos, anyway.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
They're a little shorter than the Cambridges, but not by that much, I don't think. The difference didn't stand out to me in those photos, anyway.
It all depends on the angle. See this picture for example.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:06 AM
Nobility

Prince William is quite tall; he gets that from his Mother.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BekvCa7nUJ_/

Victoria i Ida Sjöstedt _ Kungliga modebloggen

Walking from the Royal Palace to Stortorget, meeting people and going to the Nobel Museum.
IBL Bildbyrå

Se bilderna! Kate och William tar emot folkets jubel med Victoria och Daniel _ Svensk Damtidning