Death and Funeral of Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland: March 10 & 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All we can judge is how they appear "to us" unless they speak. She made a bad impression at the christening, that is hard to overcome. Newcomers must behave in an especially demure manner, Daniel and Chris have done that.

She only made a bad impression at the christening on people who disliked her already. Most people don't look down on someone for appearing to enjoy a joyous occasion.

It was a sad occasion but there were some smiles from the royals and guest. It's not being disrespectful but just warmly greeting one another. Even Queen Margarethe smiled a bit before taking her seat.

Last edited:
You can clearly see the grief on the entire family's faces. HRH princess Lillian was clearly loved. Victoria looked very beautiful IMO

The mould the bishop emeritus Lönnemark put to the coffin of princess Lilian, was from the garden of her beloved home Villa Solbacken.

I respect your right to hold a different opinion, but I thought that the very fact that Queen Margrethe is a Queen Regnant, and as such obliged to curtsey to no-one, made this gesture hugely significant. It was a clear indication of her deep affection and respect for Princess Lilian, and moved me to tears. Rather than detracting from her "majesty", I thought it increased it a thousandfold.
Quite agree with you. Just clearly affection and respect was being shown. I'm a huge fan of QMII and this just enforces that feeling for me.

In this photo princess Lilian is wearing the king's portrait in a blue bow as usual, but she's also wearing a second blue bow with a medal(?) hanging from it. Do anyone know what it is? She's also wearing it in another of the photos.

In this photo princess Lilian is wearing the king's portrait in a blue bow as usual, but she's also wearing a second blue bow with a medal(?) hanging from it. Do anyone know what it is? She's also wearing it in another of the photos.

The Top one of the king I believe is the Royal Family Order ,I'm not sure what the one with the blue bow is?

The Top one of the king I believe is the Royal Family Order ,I'm not sure what the one with the blue bow is?
The top one is "The King's Miniature Portrait", and even if it can be considered as an in-official family order, it's not really one the way the British, Danish and Norwegian Family Orders are. The colour of the other blue bow is similar to sash of the Order of the Seraphim, but I've never noticed anyone wearing a bow with some kind of medal before.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think that it can be King Carl XVI Gustaf 50th Birthay Medal.

On the order of the Seraphim page, there is a "gold" circular medal.
If you mean this . it's not a medal, its a button that can be worn on the lapel when wearing semi-formal evening wear, when it's not correct to wear the sash.
It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think that it can be King Carl XVI Gustaf 50th Birthay Medal.
Yes, it looks like it, but why is she wearing it with a bow and not the straight band as in the photo of the birthday medal?

Last edited:
The bow is the female setting of medals, the straight band is the male setting. This setting are used for all Royal medals or orders in Sweden.

Svensk Damtidning has interviewed some of Lilian's friends in it's latest issue.

Andreas Lindblom, former student at Manillaskolan School had written a letter to Lilian, when he was 13 years old. Lilian answered to him and they began to write to eachother. And one day Lilian arrived to his graduation, Andreas could hardly believe his eyes. A great friendship had started. Between 2003 and 2009 Andreas and his deputy headmistress Birgitta Sandberg were invited to Villa Solbacken two times a year.
- We could look around at a room full of all her Nobel dresses, and at another room there were presents the princess had got, Andreas and Birgitta told.
- We had so much fun and we mixed swedish, english and sign language. Sometimes it was quite a mess, but we just laughed! I will miss her, said Andreas, who is now 27 years old.
Lilian had a really big heart.
- She used to show us great photos and tell stories. And long before it was official that Victoria and Daniel were a couple, we saw a photo of them at Lilian's table. I remember that Lilian laughed and said: "The king doesn't want me to keep it there, but I keep it there anyway!", Andreas said.

Last edited:
I would love to read princess Lilian's biography does anyone know where I could buy it and if its in English.

I would love to read princess Lilian's biography does anyone know where I could buy it and if its in English.

I looked the swedish internet bookshops, the biography is sold out everywhere. I haven't heard that it would have been published in english.

The funeral service at the swedish court Vimeo, without comments
H.K.H. Prinsessan Lilians begravningsgudstjänst on Vimeo
I watched the complete funeral service of Princess Lilian and not only saw the grief and tears of the Royal Family, I also felt their pain. There is nothing as heartbreaking and cruel as standing next to an open grave. I know this from experience - I lost all my direct family members. My heart goes out to the Royal Family!!

It's only available in Swedish, it's possible to find it in some of the used bookshops online in Sweden, the title of the book is "Mitt liv med prins Bertil".

Queen Silvia talked to Expressen about princess Lilian at her visit to Silviahemmet
- Princess Lilian was very seriously ill at the end. Hope she could get an inner peace. It's hard to see anyone suffer.
Almost a month ago Princess Lilian died quietly in her home. For Silvia it was a great loss. Through the years Princess Lilian became not only a close friend - but also a extra mother to the Queen after her mother Alice Sommerlath died in 1997.
- Princess Lilian was an extremely happy person and lively, but the last few years, we saw that she began to suffer from dementia, says the Queen.
When Princess Lilian was diagnosed with dementia the queen asked help from Silviahemmet:
- I had the pleasure of using the three sisters from Silviahemmet who came and helped her. They were angels. They help Lilian and understood her and gave her time to express herself. It was a long time a lot of emotions up and down. You see a person whom you like to suffer.
Silvia reveals Princess Lilian's last days:
- She was previously a lively person. Eventually she could no longer express herself. She became weaker and weaker. We tried all help her as well as we could.
Silvia bryter tystnaden efter Lilians bortgång Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

Last edited:
It was announced on Sunday, that less than a month after the death of Princess Lilian, her loyal and long-serving Marshal of the Court, Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna died on 6th April at the age of nearly 96. Baroness Palmstierna served the Princess until last year and was never far from her side at public functions.
Baroness Palmstierna at the funeral of Princess Lilian
APA-PictureDesk
The funeral of baroness Palmstierna will be at the Royal Chapel on 22nd April.

A great obituary of baroness Palmstierna by Trond Norén Isaksen
Trond Norén Isaksen At the road’s end Baroness Elisabeth Palmstierna (1917-2013), Princess Lilian’s Marshal of the Court

At the cover of Expressen
Silvia's sorrow
http://www.expressen.se/ImageHandle...nal&guid=25c600f0-c5fb-4938-ae04-289c79f636cd

Some photos of princess Lilian and baroness Palmstierna
http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/fot...5249F9AD8452B6DD3C7B9BA53400B6CF9CA1F5&sz=800
http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/fot...5249F9AD8452B6DD3C7B9BA53400B6CF9CA1F5&sz=800
http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/fot...65C332DFFEE5903A2358AF840ADDA2D3B4D46E&sz=800
http://bildarkiv.iblbildbyra.se/fot...CED794174E912CB0DFDB1C1837EB7AC76B43E4&sz=800

Bertil Ternert from the court press department tells to Expressen about the death of baroness Palmstierna:
- All in the royal family are in mourning and will try to attend the funeral at the Royal Chapel.
Elisabeth Palmstierna came alongside Queen Silvia to become the greatest support for the Princess Lilian after Prince Bertil died in 1997. She visited Princess Lilian almost every day and in recent years it was Elisabeth Palmstierna who handled Princess Lilian's communication with the outside world.
Elisabeth Palmstierna, or "Beth" as she was called by Lilian, Queen Silvia and family, will be taken to final rest in the same church as Princess Lilian.
On April 22, the funeral takes place, and the day is at the royal family's calendar completely empty.
Also Crown Princess Victoria was close to Elisabeth Palmstierna. When the Crown Princess was visiting Princess Lilian in Villa Solbacken, Elisabeth Palmstierna was there in most times too.
Lilians hovdam avled kort efter prinsessan Nyheter Expressen

Last edited:
Beloved Princess Lilians friends Elisabeth Palmstiernas funeral photo. Royal family was much near friends with Elisabeth Palmstierna! Princess Lilian and Elisabeth Palmstierna was near friends!! They was nearly 96 age and 97 age but they death same year.

A Thank you card from the King and the Queen of all the condolences after the death of princess Lilian, from the blog of the chief editor of Kungliga Magasinet, Roger Lundgren.
Prinsessan Lilian Kungliga Magasinet

Back
Top Bottom