Death and Funeral of Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland: March 10 & 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was the coronet/crown that was placed on her coffin for her duchy? Or was this something that Sweden does for all royals?

I believe it was part of the Swedish Crown Jewels and is the Coronet of Prince Fredrik Adolf of Sweden,I maybe wrong there as there's quite a few coronets!

Last edited:
Maybe the great sadness comes with Lillian being the last of that generation to go; the weight of "moving up a rung" in responsibility is hard to bear.
Princess Lilian may have been the last royal Bernadotte of her generation, but there are still two countesses Bernadotte af Wisborg alive, Marianne and Gunnila, as well as in the extended Bernadotte family both Dagmar von Arbin and count Oscar Bernadotte af Wisborg are still alive.

I guess Princess Estelle will help her family to cope with the loss. She brings joy and happiness to the Royal Family and give them a huge distraction!

Maybe not the right thread to ask, but do anyone know if Lilian ever met Jeanne de Tramcourt, the long-time companion of prince Wilhelm? By the time she died in 1952 prince Bertil and Lilian had been together for almost ten years, so they might have known each others, at least know about the other.

No offence absolutely, either to the person, or the tradition.
But somehow I will never approve a Queen Regnant curtseying someone, alive or past.
I noticed the same thing when QM II curtseyed at her father's grave along with her sisters..
It just takes out the majesty or mystique or whatever.
You can always slightly bow, just as QEII did for Diana, but curtseying is too much, just my opinion..

I respect your right to hold a different opinion, but I thought that the very fact that Queen Margrethe is a Queen Regnant, and as such obliged to curtsey to no-one, made this gesture hugely significant. It was a clear indication of her deep affection and respect for Princess Lilian, and moved me to tears. Rather than detracting from her "majesty", I thought it increased it a thousandfold.

It was a very honorable and beautiful gesture to the late Princess Lilian. I understand the point vkrish said of a Monarch curtseying to someone below in rank. But first and foremost, she wasn't there as a Monarch but as a niece-in-law, such gesture of affection from Queen Margrethe touched my heart and I believe she will miss her aunt-in-law, after all it was a member of her family. Truly, truly beautiful!!! I was without words...

I didn't know a great deal about Princess Lilian prior to her death. I just remember seeing pictures of this lovely, older, elegant lady on Swedish blogs, boards, etc., and seeing her identified as Princess Lilian of the Swedish Royal Family.

I've had the opportunity this week to read a lot about this lady. I think the love she shared with her Prince was extraordinary, and something that is very rarely, if ever, seen nowadays.

Now she's with him for eternity.

My condolences to the Swedish Royal Family in their loss. I watched the funeral today and it was obvious how much they loved her and were hurting at her departure.

I also took note of Queen Margarethe's display of respect to Princess Lilian in the form of a very deep curtsey at her coffin. As another poster said above, I was also touched and impressed by this display of affection on the Queen's part.

Again, my condolences to the family of Princess Lilian.

Now, she and Prince Bertil are together forever.

I respect your right to hold a different opinion, but I thought that the very fact that Queen Margrethe is a Queen Regnant, and as such obliged to curtsey to no-one, made this gesture hugely significant. It was a clear indication of her deep affection and respect for Princess Lilian, and moved me to tears. Rather than detracting from her "majesty", I thought it increased it a thousandfold.

Well said - I couldn't agree with you more.

Princess Lilian may have been the last royal Bernadotte of her generation, but there are still two countesses Bernadotte af Wisborg alive, Marianne and Gunnila, as well as in the extended Bernadotte family both Dagmar von Arbin and count Oscar Bernadotte af Wisborg are still alive.
thank you for that information. Were they at the funeral?

Countesses Marianne and Gunilla are very much part of the circle of relatives but Lilian was so much more. She was truly part of the family and very close to all of them. Silvia was introduced to Bertil and Lilian in Munchen during the OS when the royal couple met and they have been very close since then.

Yes all of them attended the funeral . It was nice to see that Dagmar Von Arbin despite being 97 years old herself is still strong enough to attend official events. She appears to have the same stamina as her aunt Elsa Cedergren who became 103 years old and is the oldest ever in the Bernadotte family to this date

Yes, both Marianne and Gunnila Bernadotte was there, as well as Dagmar von Arbin (b. 1916), her siblings count Oscar Bernadotte af Wisborg (b. 1921), Catharina Nilert (b. 1926) and count Claes Bernadotte af Wisbort (b. 1942), and their cousin count Bertil Bernadotte af Wisborg (b.1935). They are all grandchildren of prince Oscar Bernadotte af Wisborg and his wife Ebba Munck af Fulkila. Prince Oscar was a younger brother of Gustav V, king Carl Gustaf's great-grandfather.
Countesses Marianne and Gunilla are very much part of the circle of relatives but Lilian was so much more.
Yes, princess Lilian was closer to the royal family for various reasons, but when it comes to degree of kinship, Marianne and Gunnila are as closely related, as wives/widows of the king's uncles, and if Lilian was seen as a family member of her generation, then her sisters-in-law also belong to that generation, and to say that that generation died out with Lilian is not correct.

Last edited:
Princess Lilian and Prince Bertil King and Queen of Love

:flowers:It was a beautiful funeral service. Thank you Royal Forum and SVT for allowing me to be part of the congregation to witness the celebration of another Chapter of Princess Lilian's life.

Hopefully Lilian and Bertil will :)rise in the resurrection holding hands as Queen and king of Love.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting video links. I was not able to get on earlier when it was broadcasting live and I appreciate being able to follow up with the video. Blessings on the people of Sweden. Princess Lilian will be missed here in the USA.

I guess Sofia had played with Estelle when the family were attending the burial at the cemetery!

So what does this mean other than the fact that she was not present at the grave site? She was at the funeral itself and looked like she was behind in the family section. She was even on the program as "other".

Was she close with lilian?

Expressen writes: Sofia was blocked out from the royal family ceremony

I haven't heard any royal reporter saying during the live broadcasts and interviews that they know that Sofia has met Lilian. The swedish media reported in January 2010, that Sofia was Carl Philip's new girlfriend. The swedish court told officially at the beginning of June 2010, that princess Lilian has Alzheimers. Now at the articles and interviews given during this week, many have said that princess Lilian's memory started weakening already in 2006, probably the first symptoms of Alzheimers. Lilian was the last time seen in public on the king's birthday 30th April 2008, when she fainted. According to the press, after Lilian broke her hip in August 2008, she has had a Silvia sister from Silviahemmet (a nurse specialized for dementia) at her home 24/7. Many royal reporters have told that the only person Lilian recognized surely during the last years, was queen Silvia.

Last edited:
I think Sofia was with the other guest at the palace while the burial was taking place. I think there was a reception afterwards.

I think Sofia was with the other guest at the palace while the burial was taking place. I think there was a reception afterwards.

After the burial, The King and Queen hosted a lunch for specially invited guests at the Royal Palace of Stockholm.
The funeral of H.R.H. Princess Lilian in the Royal Chapel - Sveriges Kungahus
The commentator said after the funeral, that the closest family, relatives and friends, the prime minister and the speaker of the Parliament attended at the burial at the Royal cemetery. It seems that they were those invited to the lunch.
But there may have been a family dinner in the evening, and of course it is possible that Sofia attended at the lunch even though she wasn't at the burial.
Maybe the tabloids tell more tomorrow.

Last edited:
I guess Sofia had played with Estelle when the family were attending the burial at the cemetery!

Honestly I doubt about that! V&D had to plan for nursing of Estelle during the whole afternoon, and I doubt they would trust Sofia for that.
She still gives me the impression of being so superficial. On one picture she was laughing more than anyone else did at the ceremony.

..., and I doubt they would trust Sofia for that.
She still gives me the impression of being so superficial. On one picture she was laughing more than anyone else did at the ceremony.

It's terrible that so many users write consistently negative about Sofia. None of us knows Sofia Hellqvist private and has the right to judge her.

It's terrible that so many users write consistently negative about Sofia. None of us knows Sofia Hellqvist private and has the right to judge her.

Few if any of us on this board have any private knowledge of the royals we discuss, but that does not stop anyone from commenting. Some people form positive opinions, others negative, but since we are all coming from the same place I don't see why one opinion should be more valid than the other.

There is no judgement there. Saying that Sofia was smiling in the pictures is merely constating of a fact, not judging her.

All we can judge is how they appear "to us" unless they speak. She made a bad impression at the christening, that is hard to overcome. Newcomers must behave in an especially demure manner, Daniel and Chris have done that.

Back
Top Bottom