Death and Funeral of Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland: March 10 & 16, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope the United Kingdom was represented at the funeral of this {sometime} British subject ? Perhaps the Britsh Ambassador was amongst the congregation ?

I hope the United Kingdom was represented at the funeral of this {sometime} British subject ? Perhaps the Britsh Ambassador was amongst the congregation ?

Yes, according to the guest list H.E. Mr. Paul Charles Johnston, Ambassador of the United Kingdom and Mrs. Nicola Johnston attended at the funeral service.

We bow to the coffin or urn, as a sign of respect. Nothing unusual about it to me.

Thank you for this -I watched the service and this was one of my questions! HM Queen Silva and HM Queen Margarethe both gave deep curtesy.

Was the coronet/crown that was placed on her coffin for her duchy? Or was this something that Sweden does for all royals?

Yes, according to the guest list H.E. Mr. Paul Charles Johnston, Ambassador of the United Kingdom and Mrs. Nicola Johnston attended at the funeral service.

Do we have a list at all of who was represented by each country -the countries that were asked to be represented?

I didn't know Sofia sat right behind the royal family.

I thought it was a nice service.

I didn't realize she was there. As they did not show her walking in. They put her in the family section? That was a nice gesture.

Was the coronet/crown that was placed on her coffin for her duchy? Or was this something that Sweden does for all royals?

That was Princess Eugenie's crown. The crown is made ​​in 1860 in Stockholm by Edward Emanuel after the model of Princess Hedvig Elisabet Charlotta crown from 1778.

Princess Lilian has been ill for quite some time and also 97 years old so that this day would come must have been anticipated for a long time. A blessing for the royal family that they now have time for a mourning period before celebrating the wedding of Princess Madeleine and Chris.

From the guest list:
Designer Yuki Torimaru was invited with his partner. He has designed a lot of dresses for queen Silvia and this fabulous dress for princess Lilian, she wore it at the Millenium party.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Also Mr Pelle Johansson from Lilian's and Bertil's favourite restaurant, Wärdshuset Ulla Winbladh, was invited. Lilian and Bertil had a regular table, number 55. And after Bertil' death, Lilian still held it has her favourite restaurant.

No offence absolutely, either to the person, or the tradition.
But somehow I will never approve a Queen Regnant curtseying someone, alive or past.
I noticed the same thing when QM II curtseyed at her father's grave along with her sisters..
It just takes out the majesty or mystique or whatever.
You can always slightly bow, just as QEII did for Diana, but curtseying is too much, just my opinion..

SVT showed a 20-minute memorial program this evening, here it is. It is a great program, the princess speaks english so almost everyone can understand the most part of it.
H.K.H. Prinsessan Lilian | SVT Play

Last edited:
This was one of the nicest and most emotional funeral services iv've ever seen. When Karl-Magnus Fredriksson sang Bred Dina Vida Vingar (spread your wide wings) and when the bagpipe played "Auld Lange Syne" it was impossible to not cry.

However i don't like that the media showed close pictures of Silvias and Victorias faces when they cried. I also did not like that the media followed the cortege out to the burial grounds. It's okay that they televised the funeral service but the moment when the coffin is lowered in earth should be a private moment for the royal family !

This was one of the nicest and most emotional funeral services iv've ever seen. When Karl-Magnus Fredriksson sang Bred Dina Vida Vingar (spread your wide wings) and when the bagpipe played "Auld Lange Syne" it was impossible to not cry.

However i don't like that the media showed close pictures of Silvias and Victorias faces when they cried. I also did not like that the media followed the cortege out to the burial grounds. It's okay that they televised the funeral service but the moment when the coffin is lowered in earth should be a private moment for the royal family !

I have to agree with you here! The burial ceremony is for sure a private event! Shame on the media for taking advantage of those moments.

Such funeral sadness I have not seen. I went to a funeral a week ago, and we were all sad for the widow, but there was joy and even laughter because of faith in eternity. I guess they were sad that Princess Lillian never had a family other than theirs? It is so good that they stood by her in her old age when she finally got the title she deserved.
They owed her a lot and they felt it--good that they did this.

Princess Lilian was an HRH and princess of Sweden, that's why a crown made for a Swedish princess was placed on her coffin.
I guess they were sad that Princess Lillian never had a family other than theirs?
I would say their sadness was because they were mourning their loss of a beloved aunt, grand-aunt, and especially for the children of the king and of princess Christina, someone who had been as a paternal/maternal grandmother, as princess Sibylla had died before they were born.

The only cousin of the royal children besides the Magnussons' attending the funeral was Hélène Silfverschiöld, who had been the maiden of honor at princess Lilian's wedding, if I remember correctly she also was one of Lilian's godchildren.

Last edited:
Such funeral sadness I have not seen. I went to a funeral a week ago, and we were all sad for the widow, but there was joy and even laughter because of faith in eternity. I guess they were sad that Princess Lillian never had a family other than theirs? It is so good that they stood by her in her old age when she finally got the title she deserved.
They owed her a lot and they felt it--good that they did this.
Thank you all for posting the proper link so that I will be able to watch it, the first link I found by myself wouldn't work out of Sweden.
Maybe the great sadness comes with Lillian being the last of that generation to go; the weight of "moving up a rung" in responsibility is hard to bear.

Shouldn't it be: Shame on the royal family who gave the media access to the burial ceremony?

The media wasn't at the cemetary, they were filming from a distance.

Back
Top Bottom